Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Escape to victory 16:56 - May 6 with 3887 viewsloftboy

Just watching this for the umpteenth time and have only just noticed the Allies make a substitution!
Surely they didn’t exist until the 1960’s?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Escape to victory on 17:05 - May 6 with 3808 viewsDiscodroids

'This, This ,This, This, This... Goal'

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Escape to victory on 17:30 - May 6 with 3734 viewscollegeranger

Always makes me laugh when the forum asks for a Greatest Team Ever - some joker always puts GK - Stallone !!
Escape to victory on 20:28 - May 6 with 3516 viewsLeedsR

Always love the mass breakout at the end - a steady stream of flared jeans, t-shirts, brown leather jackets and long hair!!
Escape to victory on 21:18 - May 6 with 3406 viewsPeterHucker

Escape to victory on 20:28 - May 6 by LeedsR

Always love the mass breakout at the end - a steady stream of flared jeans, t-shirts, brown leather jackets and long hair!!

My dad is in that film.
Crowd scenes filmed at Fratton Park, he’s in there somewhere apparently.
As a family we spent many fruitless hours trying to spot him, poised over the pause button of the VHS recorder when it was first shown on Tv in the 80s.
Escape to victory on 21:27 - May 6 with 3384 viewseastside_r

Escape to victory on 21:18 - May 6 by PeterHucker

My dad is in that film.
As a family we spent many fruitless hours trying to spot him, poised over the pause button of the VHS recorder when it was first shown on Tv in the 80s.

I thought it was at the stadium of MTK Budapest, where they still play I believe.
Escape to victory on 22:43 - May 6 with 3286 viewscolinallcars

Who wrote the theme music to Escape To Victory ?
It's Shostakovic's Leningrad Symphony almost to the note.
Shades of Ed Sheeran's “ it's just twelve notes and a few chords innit bruv? “.
Escape to victory on 22:59 - May 6 with 3244 viewsthame_hoops

Escape to victory on 21:18 - May 6 by PeterHucker

My dad is in that film.

Maybe he told you a tall tale. IMDb doesn’t mention Portsmouth at all?
Escape to victory on 23:11 - May 6 with 3225 viewsozexile

I always thought some of it was filmed at Stamford bridge.
Login to get fewer ads

Escape to victory on 23:49 - May 6 with 3173 viewsLeedsR

Escape to victory on 22:43 - May 6 by colinallcars

I always thought it was Elmer Bernstein, as the closing sequence is very much like the Great Escape. But a Google search reveals it was Bill Conti, composer of the music for the Rocky films, and you’re right Colin, he does “borrow” heavily from Shostakovich. I think it is acknowledged that he did this so unlike what was levelled at Ed Sheeran, it’s more like using a sample, I guess.
[Post edited 6 May 2023 23:53]
Escape to victory on 23:51 - May 6 with 3171 viewsQPRSteve

Escape to victory on 23:11 - May 6 by ozexile

I always thought some of it was filmed at Stamford bridge.

Makes sense. You'd want to escape from there, wouldn't you?
Escape to victory on 00:42 - May 7 with 3111 viewsBoston

Y'know how West Ham won the World Cup, well Ipswich Town won the second World War.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Escape to victory on 03:13 - May 7 with 3052 viewsSonofNorfolt

Escape to victory on 00:42 - May 7 by Boston

Y'know how West Ham won the World Cup, well Ipswich Town won the second World War.

Yea, but under the rules of the Geneva Convention they loaned Laurie Sivell out to play in goal for the Germans.
Kevin O'Callaghan was the real hero, winger turned goalkeeper, 'Make it a clean break Terry!'
Pele underlines his status as the World's greatest ever player by scoring an overhead kick with broken ribs. They never filmed the aftermath, Pele wasn't hard to find.
'Be on the look out for a black man wearing football boots and a beret.'
Still never heard of Paul van Himst until the credits but can guarantee you winning the pub quiz tie breaker.
Allegedly based on Dinamo Kiev's matches done to raise morale, it didn't end well.
Escape to victory on 11:43 - May 7 with 2747 viewsDWQPR

My PE teacher was in that film. Ian Bath, played as a keeper in the film. He was also a keeper at Hayes and also Maidenhead United.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Escape to victory on 11:52 - May 7 with 2738 viewsQPR_Hibs

Escape to victory on 23:49 - May 6 by LeedsR

I always thought it was Elmer Bernstein, as the closing sequence is very much like the Great Escape. But a Google search reveals it was Bill Conti, composer of the music for the Rocky films, and you’re right Colin, he does “borrow” heavily from Shostakovich. I think it is acknowledged that he did this so unlike what was levelled at Ed Sheeran, it’s more like using a sample, I guess.
[Post edited 6 May 2023 23:53]

I went to watch Escape to Victory at the cinema and very much enjoyed the theme music so I asked the cinema manager if he could tell me anything about the score.
He said "Yes - it finished 4-4 and Sylvester Stallone saved a penalty."

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Escape to victory on 22:19 - May 7 with 2531 viewsloftus77

Escape to victory on 22:43 - May 6 by colinallcars

I'm sure the music from the last scene (the mass stadium breakout) is from the finale of the 5th Symphony not the 7th (Leningrad). But great works both from a truly brilliant composer.
[Post edited 7 May 2023 22:23]
Escape to victory on 00:22 - May 8 with 2460 viewsBoston

Escape to victory on 11:52 - May 7 by QPR_Hibs

I went to watch Escape to Victory at the cinema and very much enjoyed the theme music so I asked the cinema manager if he could tell me anything about the score.
He said "Yes - it finished 4-4 and Sylvester Stallone saved a penalty."

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned."

Yesterday, I retold a joke to my workmates and claimed I'd made it up.

Yeah but, I follow Queens Park Rangers, hell holds no fear for me.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Escape to victory on 09:42 - May 8 with 2358 viewsloftboy

Escape to victory on 11:43 - May 7 by DWQPR

My PE teacher was in that film. Ian Bath, played as a keeper in the film. He was also a keeper at Hayes and also Maidenhead United.

Laurie sivell was in goal for the Germans and silvester Stallone was in goal for the allies!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Escape to victory on 10:08 - May 8 with 2305 viewsDannyPaddox

Escape to victory on 09:42 - May 8 by loftboy

Laurie sivell was in goal for the Germans and silvester Stallone was in goal for the allies!

There may well have been other goalkeepers in stunt-double rôles. A bit like us last season with Marshall, Westwood, and Mahoney.
Escape to victory on 10:51 - May 8 with 2267 viewsdenhamhoop2

How pissed off must John Wark have been he sits on the bench as an unused sub whilst The Allies play with 10 rather than bring him on for Pele.
Escape to victory on 10:53 - May 8 with 2267 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Going off topic, I'll never forget watching 'The Great Escape' for the first time, and being totally absorbed by Gordon Jackson's cock up when he slipped into English while boarding a train.

Some 30 odd years later, the same emotions surfaced when Tommy Williams failed to square it to Furlong.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024