Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 86396 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 17:01 - Jun 8 with 19431 viewsRangersw12

Only got tickets for last day of the 1st test for the bargain price of 25 quid !

I think it will be a cracking series but I reckon the Aussies will sneak it 2-1 as I think their bowling attack is marginally better than ours .
Ashes 2023 on 17:01 - Jun 8 with 19432 viewsTheChef

I'm hoping it'll be close, but think the Aussies will be too strong especially in terms of their batting.

Also looking at the team playing in the WTC, it's virtually identical to the one that won the last Ashes whereas England have had a fair bit of chopping and changing not helped by injuries. Still not resolved the openers since Cook retired!

And of course we've helped them by having some of their players acclimatise in the County Championship. When was the last time England players had similar prep in Australia??

So 2-1 or 3-1 to Australia, unfortunately.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 17:23 - Jun 8 with 19424 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve got tickets for all 5 days at the Oval.They do look good though,and Leach will be a big loss for us.Maybe a 2-2 draw?
Ashes 2023 on 17:27 - Jun 8 with 19368 viewsRangersw12

My team for first test

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Stokes
Brook
Bairstow
Ali
Robinson
Wood
Anderson
Ashes 2023 on 17:44 - Jun 8 with 19326 viewsdaveB

should be a great series, feels a bit like 2005 with a new England team in form having a go at a very strong Australia who should be favourites.

Same as the last few series though our best chance is getting Smith out early, that bloke is a machine whi seems impossible to get out
Ashes 2023 on 19:04 - Jun 8 with 19289 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 17:44 - Jun 8 by daveB

should be a great series, feels a bit like 2005 with a new England team in form having a go at a very strong Australia who should be favourites.

Same as the last few series though our best chance is getting Smith out early, that bloke is a machine whi seems impossible to get out

4-0 Australia sadly.

Trying to slog / charge / scoop Cummins, Hazelwood....not going to work.

Mo Ali....didn't work before against them, not going to work now.

Very much hope I'm wrong.
Ashes 2023 on 19:07 - Jun 8 with 19280 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 19:04 - Jun 8 by GaryBannister86

4-0 Australia sadly.

Trying to slog / charge / scoop Cummins, Hazelwood....not going to work.

Mo Ali....didn't work before against them, not going to work now.

Very much hope I'm wrong.

I also think Moeen shouldn’t be brought back.His batting is very much hit and hope and he’s another wicket waiting to happen.
Ashes 2023 on 19:13 - Jun 8 with 19254 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 19:07 - Jun 8 by stowmarketrange

I also think Moeen shouldn’t be brought back.His batting is very much hit and hope and he’s another wicket waiting to happen.

Yep I thought in this brilliant (and it is, don't get me wrong) ballsy new era, Rehan Ahmed would have been the pick. Hardly did much wrong on debut?
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 07:48 - Jun 9 with 19086 viewsHunterhoop

I think if England go with Anderson, Broad, Robinson as the attack we’ll lose.

You have to have some pace in there. The last Ashes, and particularly Adelaide, I think, proved this.

When you pick an attack, variety is critical.

In my view they should pick one from the following groups:

Anderson, Woakes, Curran (swing bowlers)
Broad, Robinson, Potts (seamers)
Wood, Tongue, J Overton (genuine pace). Obviously Archer and Stone would be in here if fit and I’m not sure if Overton will be fit during the series.

First test, I’d go with Anderson, Robinson, Wood. I suspect Broad will play due to this Warner obsession.

Wood needs to be managed carefully.
Ashes 2023 on 08:29 - Jun 9 with 18991 viewsRs_Holy

I'm off the Edgbaston next Friday (the Oval and Lords are stupidly expensive now) for the big kickoff... cant wait, although I cant see us getting the Ashes back :(
[Post edited 9 Jun 2023 9:10]
Ashes 2023 on 08:39 - Jun 9 with 19044 viewslightwaterhoop

Got tickets for the first day at the Oval.I hope its a great series and that England push the Aussies hard but i cant see us beating them tbh.I went to Lords for the first two days against Ireland and it was a great couple of days with a big crowd.Nice to see a lot of Irish fans turn up as well.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2023 17:28]
Ashes 2023 on 08:41 - Jun 9 with 19049 viewsAntti_Heinola

Shocked by the negativity on this thread to be honest. I think we'll win 3-1 or 3-2. South Africa came over saying we couldn't hit them out the park 'you can't do that to Rabada' - ha ha, really? Off Elgar popped, bombast destroyed, tail between his legs. Smashed Pakistan on their own turf. The Aussies are the ones that need to be worried. People genuinely panicking because they scored a few in favourable conditions against an under-cooked Indian side? Really?

As for OP's predictions:

Crawley to average less than 20 - he might well do, but he'll bat at least three big innings where he gets a quick 50-60 and that will be crucial (and that's all they ask of him)

Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team - agree, and hope this is true.

Pope to struggle again~ - not a chance. Pope's a possible player of the series.

Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again - agree, although absolutely won't be his last Ashes home series! He's got 2 more in him after this one!

Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot - the one where he smashes the Aussies to all corners. Without a doubt. Our 1-8 looks insane.

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off. - Can't believe there's people on here saying Broad shouldn't play the first test. Madness.

Robinson to nab Smith at least four times.. - if he stays fit, he'll be the most dangerous bowler of the series.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 08:56 - Jun 9 with 19021 viewstoboboly

Ashes 2023 on 19:07 - Jun 8 by stowmarketrange

Agree regarding Moeen, yesterdays man for me when it comes to the long form of the game.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes 2023 on 09:40 - Jun 9 with 18981 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 08:56 - Jun 9 by toboboly

Agree regarding Moeen, yesterdays man for me when it comes to the long form of the game.

He'll be great.
Misused constantly under previous regimes, he won't be with Baz and Ben.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 09:41 - Jun 9 with 18943 viewsderbyhoop

England batting vs Aussie bowling.
The winner wins the series.

Not convinced Anderson, Broad and Moeen should be in together. 1 maybe.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ashes 2023 on 10:39 - Jun 9 with 18925 viewsjohann28

Have tickets for Day One at Lord's. Can't wait.

I just fear their pace v our non traditional approach to openers, and style of play in general is a recipe for disaster. Hope I'm wrong obv.

As for no international cricket in August, total disgrace.
Ashes 2023 on 12:23 - Jun 9 with 18866 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes 2023 on 08:41 - Jun 9 by Antti_Heinola

Shocked by the negativity on this thread to be honest. I think we'll win 3-1 or 3-2. South Africa came over saying we couldn't hit them out the park 'you can't do that to Rabada' - ha ha, really? Off Elgar popped, bombast destroyed, tail between his legs. Smashed Pakistan on their own turf. The Aussies are the ones that need to be worried. People genuinely panicking because they scored a few in favourable conditions against an under-cooked Indian side? Really?

As for OP's predictions:

Crawley to average less than 20 - he might well do, but he'll bat at least three big innings where he gets a quick 50-60 and that will be crucial (and that's all they ask of him)

Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team - agree, and hope this is true.

Pope to struggle again~ - not a chance. Pope's a possible player of the series.

Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again - agree, although absolutely won't be his last Ashes home series! He's got 2 more in him after this one!

Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot - the one where he smashes the Aussies to all corners. Without a doubt. Our 1-8 looks insane.

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off. - Can't believe there's people on here saying Broad shouldn't play the first test. Madness.

Robinson to nab Smith at least four times.. - if he stays fit, he'll be the most dangerous bowler of the series.

It’s not madness suggesting Broad doesn’t play the first test. Robinson and him are LfL and Tobinson has a better record than Broad since he began test cricket a few years back.

Broad’s record against Australia in the last Ashess (Warner apart, who is now clearly in the wane) wasn’t great either.

And both he and Anderson are unlikely to be able to play all 5 Test, so England will need to rotate. They’re playing 5 Tests in a small window and I expect Corporate wickets which will mean a lot of overs for the bowlers. And they aren’t young.

At Edgbaston, I’d play Anderson, Robinson and Wood. At Lord’s you could make a case for Woakes given his insane record there. I think I’d want Broad to play at Old Trafford and Headingly. OT was where he ripped through that Aussie team in 2015(?), wasn’t it?

All that said, i think it’ll be Anderson, Broad and Robinson and we’ll go without any genuine pace.
Ashes 2023 on 12:25 - Jun 9 with 18825 viewsRangersw12

Gives me hope watching Rhane and Thakur giving the Aussies the run around

They certainly don't like being attacked and the wheels could start falling off soon
[Post edited 9 Jun 2023 12:25]
Ashes 2023 on 12:50 - Jun 9 with 18821 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 12:23 - Jun 9 by Hunterhoop

It’s not madness suggesting Broad doesn’t play the first test. Robinson and him are LfL and Tobinson has a better record than Broad since he began test cricket a few years back.

Broad’s record against Australia in the last Ashess (Warner apart, who is now clearly in the wane) wasn’t great either.

And both he and Anderson are unlikely to be able to play all 5 Test, so England will need to rotate. They’re playing 5 Tests in a small window and I expect Corporate wickets which will mean a lot of overs for the bowlers. And they aren’t young.

At Edgbaston, I’d play Anderson, Robinson and Wood. At Lord’s you could make a case for Woakes given his insane record there. I think I’d want Broad to play at Old Trafford and Headingly. OT was where he ripped through that Aussie team in 2015(?), wasn’t it?

All that said, i think it’ll be Anderson, Broad and Robinson and we’ll go without any genuine pace.

That was Trent Bridge I think.
Ashes 2023 on 13:06 - Jun 9 with 18799 viewsozexile

Sorry to say but we'll get a whopping. Our batting is too weak. I still don't see Crawley as an opener. And bringing Moeen back isn't the recipe. He was poor here last series. Looked like he'd given up.
Ashes 2023 on 13:19 - Jun 9 with 18772 viewsHoopstar

We have an Aussie overseas player in our first XI this year - he'll be unbearable, and he already smashes my bowling all over the place in nets without an Aussie ashes win to help.

I reckon England take it 3-1. As said, don't think the Aussies will react well if England do get on top with the bat. Can't believe Boland didn't make his debut till he was 32 though - bloke looks unreal.

Interesting to see the the different perspectives on Pope. He has all the talent in the world but I still can't bring myself to trust him to not throw his wicket away when set too often to be a top class international player. He has improved significantly though so perhaps my doubts are unfounded on form of last fifteen months or so.
Ashes 2023 on 13:31 - Jun 9 with 18754 viewsPhilmyRs

Ashes 2023 on 07:48 - Jun 9 by Hunterhoop

I think if England go with Anderson, Broad, Robinson as the attack we’ll lose.

You have to have some pace in there. The last Ashes, and particularly Adelaide, I think, proved this.

When you pick an attack, variety is critical.

In my view they should pick one from the following groups:

Anderson, Woakes, Curran (swing bowlers)
Broad, Robinson, Potts (seamers)
Wood, Tongue, J Overton (genuine pace). Obviously Archer and Stone would be in here if fit and I’m not sure if Overton will be fit during the series.

First test, I’d go with Anderson, Robinson, Wood. I suspect Broad will play due to this Warner obsession.

Wood needs to be managed carefully.

I don’t agree entirely with the pace argument. In Australia, 100%, think our lack of pace over there has been a real issue but in England, while good to have a varied attack, I don’t think it will decide the series.

Last series at home, we drew 2-2, probably deserved to lose that one, with only Stokes heroics saving us. Archer, our quickest bowler played in 4 of the 5 tests. He did make a difference for sure, but we still deserved to lose with him in the side. I’d say Anderson being injured was more crucial than anything else.

2015 in England we won 3-0. We had Mark Wood for 3 of the 5 tests. While he played well, he wasn’t the key reason why we won.

2013, we won 3-2, Finn played the first match but think we went into the majority of the other games without any serious pace.

2009, we won, Flintoff I suppose was quick, but the main bowling attack were all fast/medium from memory Flintoff was the allrounder too so not one of the front line bowlers.

For me, the key is the pitches. If there’s a bit of nibble in the wicket, Broad is very useful, while Anderson will swing the ball as soon as it starts to cloud. Trent Bridge (sadly not being used) and Headingley you can easily get away without serious pace. However, the move to Bazball, and our new aggressive approach, and by all accounts the hope (request!) for harder, firmer pitches, probably does mean you're right and we’ll need some pace to have a chance. BUT as a general rule, in England, with the right conditions, I think we could beat Australia without any express pace in the team.
Ashes 2023 on 13:47 - Jun 9 with 18724 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 12:23 - Jun 9 by Hunterhoop

It is madness. Get him in. He's the man for the big occasiona and always has been - while I agree rotation will be needed, there is a small gap between the first two tests, so it won't be relevant for a while. I doubt Stokes is even looking beyond the first test to be honest. Win that, then think about rotation: your suggestion is exactly the trap we fell into in Australia. Baz and Ben will not repeat it.
In my view, they won't even have needed a discussion: it'll be Anderson, Robinson and Broad. Wood will, I agree, play a big part though.
Talk about what happened to players 4 years ago is absolutely irrelevant in the light of the last year or so. Every single player in that tea, has been transformed in that time - and against genuinely good opposition. Cannot wait for this Series.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 14:24 - Jun 9 with 18666 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes 2023 on 13:47 - Jun 9 by Antti_Heinola

It is madness. Get him in. He's the man for the big occasiona and always has been - while I agree rotation will be needed, there is a small gap between the first two tests, so it won't be relevant for a while. I doubt Stokes is even looking beyond the first test to be honest. Win that, then think about rotation: your suggestion is exactly the trap we fell into in Australia. Baz and Ben will not repeat it.
In my view, they won't even have needed a discussion: it'll be Anderson, Robinson and Broad. Wood will, I agree, play a big part though.
Talk about what happened to players 4 years ago is absolutely irrelevant in the light of the last year or so. Every single player in that tea, has been transformed in that time - and against genuinely good opposition. Cannot wait for this Series.

Well, I disagree. Each to their own. I don’t think your view is mad though. And mine certainly isn’t whatever you say.
Ashes 2023 on 15:39 - Jun 9 with 18609 viewsqpr1976

Ashes 2023 on 19:13 - Jun 8 by GaryBannister86

Yep I thought in this brilliant (and it is, don't get me wrong) ballsy new era, Rehan Ahmed would have been the pick. Hardly did much wrong on debut?

Problem being with Ahmed after just 1 Test cap on a spin friendly Pakistan wicket, then to play him in a highly charged and pressured Ashes series might at best destroy his confidence or at worst kill off his Test career, just like it did for Jason Roy.
I’m not a fan of Moeen (or Leech for that matter) by any means but he can handle Ashes pressure and was probably the obvious choice. TBF we’ve not had a World class spinner since Swanny.
I might have tried to coax Rashid out of retirement, but he’s not played a test since longer than Moeen !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024