Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Heston Effect 19:56 - Jun 26 with 4777 viewsChrisNW6

In the Dykes interview he keeps mentioning the new Premier league training facilities. It got me thinking on how much of a difference it will make in signing new players and extending contracts.

I think in a few seasons we will be able to hopefully see the benefits of the Heston effect in player recruitment. Must make a big difference to know this will be your place of work when looking at a 3yr deal at QPR and a real differentiater when comparing other clubs. Where we can't compete on wages we need to attract players in other ways and show casing Heston.

How many on here have factored in the office facilities such as gym, canteen and location when applying for new jobs.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/dykes-excited-for-next-chapter-260623/
The Heston Effect on 08:37 - Jun 27 with 3758 viewsQPRConor2000

It definately will have an impact long term.

Sometimes small things like the facilities can be the biggest influences on players decisions.

Its a massive statement of intent from the club.
The Heston Effect on 08:39 - Jun 27 with 3749 viewsTheChef

Stupid football club, occasionally doing the right things.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Heston Effect on 09:06 - Jun 27 with 3661 viewsBlue_Castello

Yeah it was interesting how many times Lyndon name checked Heston, it's going to prove a fantastic investment, not only will Senior players be impressed but it finally gives us more of a chance to hold onto the best prospects in the Academy, unfortunately the lure of bags of cash from the Prem teams is something we can't stop.
The Heston Effect on 09:06 - Jun 27 with 3652 viewsdaveB

it will help but almost certainly the players will be aware this is a new positive thing and will be talking it up. They did the same when we moved to Harlington
The Heston Effect on 10:03 - Jun 27 with 3483 viewsterryb

I know it wasn't completed, but didn't we use Heston last season?

I'm sure it will help & is a great improvement, but surely Heston would put us on a par with some Championship clubs rather than ahead of them.
The Heston Effect on 10:07 - Jun 27 with 3461 viewsdaveB

The Heston Effect on 10:03 - Jun 27 by terryb

I know it wasn't completed, but didn't we use Heston last season?

I'm sure it will help & is a great improvement, but surely Heston would put us on a par with some Championship clubs rather than ahead of them.

We did use it but the main building wasn't ready which is what ha recently opened
The Heston Effect on 10:26 - Jun 27 with 3399 viewsterryb

The Heston Effect on 10:07 - Jun 27 by daveB

We did use it but the main building wasn't ready which is what ha recently opened

I appreciate that Dave, but it is bringing us level with many clubs, not surpassing them.

That, in itself, is worth celebrating & appreciating. Heston will definitely help us, especially in attracting youth players, but I'm far from certain it will make any difference to first team players joining us.
The Heston Effect on 18:04 - Jun 27 with 3005 viewsLblock

Great that we have this facility but it’s another “nearly” well done to the club.

They skimped on it and it doesn’t achieve Cat A status
So the one thing our recently departed DoF was rightly moaning about has not been addressed. The Prem clubs can still pull in the car park and kidnap prospects for next to nothing
I find that hard to get my head around.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

The Heston Effect on 18:54 - Jun 27 with 2923 viewsderbyhoop

Cat 1 status doesn't eliminate that.

The costs for Cat 1 cf Cat 2 are exponentially higher and QPR haven't got a dime.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The Heston Effect on 19:31 - Jun 27 with 2881 viewsswisscottage

The Heston Effect on 10:26 - Jun 27 by terryb

I appreciate that Dave, but it is bringing us level with many clubs, not surpassing them.

That, in itself, is worth celebrating & appreciating. Heston will definitely help us, especially in attracting youth players, but I'm far from certain it will make any difference to first team players joining us.

I'm not sure.

I know office life can't exactly be compared to the life of a professional footballer, but a workplace you like to attend,, whilst it may not necessarily attract new players, might well help to keep players.

I know from experience, working in a good office space with good lighting, air conditioning, space, break out areas, canteen etc, make a big difference. If I was doing exactly the same job, but in a sh!thole, I would probably be looking for another job by now.
The Heston Effect on 20:05 - Jun 27 with 2800 viewsdavman

The Heston Effect on 18:54 - Jun 27 by derbyhoop

The costs for Cat 1 cf Cat 2 are exponentially higher and QPR haven't got a dime.

But the owners have and the Academy counts NOTHING towards P&S calculations. I can't fault the fact that they have shelled out so much of their own money on the facility, so it is a bit churlish to say this, but they could have afforded that Cat 1 status if they wanted to.

...but how much above our station is that? We do not deserve a cat 1 Academy and can barely justify what we are currently running in terms of First Team ready players, so we should be content with what they have presented the club with whilst still limiting the debt to them despite the £2m a month...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The Heston Effect on 20:30 - Jun 27 with 2756 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It can’t hurt.

I think we should consider how a parent and 12 year old talent feels walking around it compared to Harlington.
The Heston Effect on 20:41 - Jun 27 with 2734 viewsChrisNW6

The Heston Effect on 19:31 - Jun 27 by swisscottage

I'm not sure.

I know office life can't exactly be compared to the life of a professional footballer, but a workplace you like to attend,, whilst it may not necessarily attract new players, might well help to keep players.

I know from experience, working in a good office space with good lighting, air conditioning, space, break out areas, canteen etc, make a big difference. If I was doing exactly the same job, but in a sh!thole, I would probably be looking for another job by now.

I work for a firm where the catering and facilities are really good, I am sure most people just joined for the legendary Katsu Curry lunch on Thursdays 😁
The Heston Effect on 20:48 - Jun 27 with 2711 viewsLblock

Nothing eliminates the lure of the filthy lucre in the Premiership or "bigger" clubs

But you'll find Sir Les stated this as fact - without CAT 1 status you don't have a leg to stand on.
With it they need to pay a decent fee.

You cannot moan you've lost potential millions in fees for young prospects because of this and then embark on a solution only to come up half baked and allow the same thing to happen again.
Only QPR etc, etc, etc

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Heston Effect on 20:55 - Jun 27 with 2674 viewsBushRanger82

Until we can summon up a real hunger to win honours, and not just the odd promotion now and again, Heston will be utterly pointless.
The Heston Effect on 21:27 - Jun 27 with 2598 viewsChrisNW6

The Heston Effect on 20:48 - Jun 27 by Lblock

Nothing eliminates the lure of the filthy lucre in the Premiership or "bigger" clubs

But you'll find Sir Les stated this as fact - without CAT 1 status you don't have a leg to stand on.
With it they need to pay a decent fee.

You cannot moan you've lost potential millions in fees for young prospects because of this and then embark on a solution only to come up half baked and allow the same thing to happen again.
Only QPR etc, etc, etc

Quite a big commitment right now to go all in for Cat 1 and not sure what it would cost to upgrade. The facilities look like they wouldn't be a problem but I am sure the club have performed the cost/benefit analysis and right now it's not possible. We seem to be in pretty good company in the Cat 2 category which feels right for our size and turnover.
The Heston Effect on 21:35 - Jun 27 with 2561 viewsPeterHucker

Anyone read Dominic Ball's book?

He talks about how he was initially let go by Watford when he was still a schoolboy.

He then got trials with 5 clubs, and all 5 offered him a scholarship.
One of those clubs was QPR and he pretty much says outright that the facilities at QPR were rubbish compared to all the other clubs. (some of whom are lower down the League pyramid than us)
The Heston Effect on 12:08 - Jun 29 with 2224 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

The Heston Effect on 12:42 - Jun 29 with 2098 viewsBenny_the_Ball

According to recent interviews, the design allows for a seamless move to Cat 1 if required. From what I understand, achieving Cat 1 status would involve hiring more staff. Whilst investment in infrastructure falls outside of FFP, I suspect that the additional staff salaries would not.
The Heston Effect on 13:10 - Jun 29 with 2033 viewsDavieQPR

Although a fantastic facility the Club is using every conversation to push it to cover up any cracks. E.g. Pitch not ready? 'Yeh, but look at Heston'. 'Need some signings?' 'Yeh, but look at Heston'.
The Heston Effect on 13:29 - Jun 29 with 1960 viewsrobith

It is quite annoying that we spent the better part of a decade arguing with a Brentford fan about butterflies when we could bang this together in like 18 months
The Heston Effect on 13:49 - Jun 29 with 1910 views1JD

The Heston Effect on 12:42 - Jun 29 by Benny_the_Ball

According to recent interviews, the design allows for a seamless move to Cat 1 if required. From what I understand, achieving Cat 1 status would involve hiring more staff. Whilst investment in infrastructure falls outside of FFP, I suspect that the additional staff salaries would not.

The club are planning for cat 1 but further infrastructure is required, specifically an indoor dome, which is being built in the phase 2 of works over the next couple of years. Cost of category 2 is 1.5m, cost of category 1 is 2m in annual cost. Most of that extra cost is additional payroll and is filed under non-FFP. For example, you need a performance analyst for every age group in the academy, not just one.
The Heston Effect on 16:23 - Jun 29 with 1806 viewsQPR_John

The Heston Effect on 20:55 - Jun 27 by BushRanger82

Until we can summon up a real hunger to win honours, and not just the odd promotion now and again, Heston will be utterly pointless.

You have to start somewhere
The Heston Effect on 16:29 - Jun 29 with 1794 viewsQPR_John

The Heston Effect on 12:42 - Jun 29 by Benny_the_Ball

Would not put that past FFP. You can build a fabulous training ground and you wont be punished under FFP rules unless you employ staff to run it.
The Heston Effect on 17:53 - Jun 29 with 1688 viewsBklynRanger

The Heston Effect on 13:49 - Jun 29 by 1JD

The club are planning for cat 1 but further infrastructure is required, specifically an indoor dome, which is being built in the phase 2 of works over the next couple of years. Cost of category 2 is 1.5m, cost of category 1 is 2m in annual cost. Most of that extra cost is additional payroll and is filed under non-FFP. For example, you need a performance analyst for every age group in the academy, not just one.

So maybe there's an argument that our academy isn't big enough yet to justify that number of staff, and that building it up from Category 2 makes more sense?

Granted I'm saying that without knowing that much about the academy, and I know the Field of Dreams argument often gets presented in these situations.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 17:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024