Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ 19:29 - Oct 17 with 5911 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

About time we had one I think?
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 10:11 - Oct 18 with 1024 viewsJuzzie

Football is a game played by thousands of teams where only 0.001%* win anything.

So it's really easy, and I mean so unbelievably really easy, to criticise any team for not succeeding because chances are 99.999% of the time you'll be right.

*stat made up for effect but I hope you get my point

[Post edited 18 Oct 2023 10:49]
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 10:24 - Oct 18 with 969 viewsMrSheen

On the comparisons with 2018, I have a stronger recollection of England teams from the 70s and 80s than from last week, so I shouldn't have been so surprised re-reading the team from the Croatia semi-final in 2018.
https://www.skysports.com/football/croatia-vs-england/teams/385230
Two things really stand out:
1) The unusual continuity - 6 starters in common after 5 years - Pickford, Walker, Stones Maguire, Trippier, Kane. Henderson and Rashford reversed their roles of starter and sub too.
2) The contrast in quality between the others - Rice, Bellingham, Foden and Phillips against Sterling, Alli, Lingard and Ashley Young. Only Sterling would have any chance of breaking into the 2023 team, though Phillips is a strange choice for either.

Bellingham rightly dominated the attention, but what a game Kane had, admittedly against a non-vintage Italian defence. His deep passing was superb, and not what we would have seen five years ago.
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 10:26 - Oct 18 with 965 viewsconnell10

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 22:27 - Oct 17 by numptydumpty

Jeez !!!

Southgate- #sackofspuds

Southgate could win the Euros the next two times and we beat Brazil nine nil in the world cup final and still he would be criticised for dull tactics and under achieving and there are seemingly many who would not be pleased with that.

Bonkers !!!

We played the reigning Euro Champions and done over them very comfortably.

Two excellent second half goals and very good game management but every time England do well, it's the players success and nowt to do with Southgate himself.

England bashing is a thing !!!!

Difference sadly to QPR bashing is QPR would not be bashed at all if we were so competitive as England, yet England are because people don't think Southgate is flamboyant enough.

Not the best looking chap and perhaps for some - not a character they would be a mate of but so many more reasons to admire what he has done to turn England into a club mentality.

We had more world class players through time from 2000 2010 yet we had dreadful performances and dreadful results, in general often.

There is definitely a MASSIVE unconscious bias against Southgate.

Certainly all in favour of him coming into the QPR hotseat myself but for some I don't think he is good looking enough.

Total madness.

Well done England and well done Gareth.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 22:31]

I predict this England team will win a major trophy, I'm very confident going into the Euros.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:11 - Oct 18 with 881 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 09:30 - Oct 18 by LazyFan

Bellingham plays exactly like Bryan Robson. Except Robson was injured a lot, so we never saw how good he could be. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Robson#Style_of_play

Robson used to drive the team forward, pace, power and drive. For this, he was made captain of England, voted greatest player for Man Utd by the Manure fans, higher than players like Bobby Charlton!

His nickname was "Captain Marvel" by the press.

Bellingham should be made captain of England and called "Captain Marvel", because he is that good. Only injury will stop him now.

We have the forward line, Kane, Saka and Rashford. Behind them, Bellingham and Rice. We need one more midfielder and then the defence fixed and we shall win the Euro's and World Cup. Big ask the rest, but we have a chance, at least now.

Therefore Southgate needs to win it now. Kane won't last forever and Bellingham may get injured.

On Bellingham:

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:32 - Oct 18 with 841 viewsdaveB

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 23:37 - Oct 17 by SydneyRs

I do wonder what a manager like Ange Postecoglu could do with this squad. It would certainly be great to watch.

Great win, but just makes the Euro final more annoying. Couldn't stand the gushing over Italy at the time, they were bang average and there for the taking.

Big Ange is flavour of the month at the moment, he might get more out of them or not, would have a lot less time to impose that style of play which is part of why a number of very good club managers have failed at international level

Not having Italy were bang average in 2021. Beat strong Belgium and Spain teams to get to the final, they were very good that summer but there was nothing in the final really. England better first 20 mins then Italy took over and England finished stronger. Southgate then took a gamble to put on 2 players who took penalties for their clubs and they both missed
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:40 - Oct 18 with 819 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:32 - Oct 18 by daveB

Big Ange is flavour of the month at the moment, he might get more out of them or not, would have a lot less time to impose that style of play which is part of why a number of very good club managers have failed at international level

Not having Italy were bang average in 2021. Beat strong Belgium and Spain teams to get to the final, they were very good that summer but there was nothing in the final really. England better first 20 mins then Italy took over and England finished stronger. Southgate then took a gamble to put on 2 players who took penalties for their clubs and they both missed

Werenโ€™t Italy unbeaten in 50 games or something ridiculous leading up to that final?
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:45 - Oct 18 with 813 viewsdaveB

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:40 - Oct 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Werenโ€™t Italy unbeaten in 50 games or something ridiculous leading up to that final?

yeah, world record run that ended a few months after the Euros
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:50 - Oct 18 with 806 viewsSydneyRs

Italy failed to qualify for the world cup before and the one after. Average.
Login to get fewer ads

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 12:03 - Oct 18 with 785 viewsdaveB

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:50 - Oct 18 by SydneyRs

That's like saying France are average as they were crap in the Euros but very good at the world cup

In that summer Italy clicked and were very good for 4 weeks, what happened before that and since is irrelevant.
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 12:13 - Oct 18 with 770 viewskensalriser

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 11:50 - Oct 18 by SydneyRs

Irrelevant. Italy were a strong team in that Euros, played well throughout and beat several very good teams to win it. They're not a bad team now, but they clearly lack standout players like Kane and Bellingham.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 12:43 - Oct 18 with 728 viewsNed_Kennedys

So everyone seems to think that overall England have probably the strongest squad in Europe with Bellingham probably the best young footballer in the world plus Kane still a world class forward.

No excuses for Southgate not to win a bloody tournament this time then.
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 12:44 - Oct 18 with 726 viewsTheChef

Incidentally re Ange and Spurs, I find it amusing how well they're doing now since Kane left.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 14:09 - Oct 18 with 651 viewstraininvain

England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 12:43 - Oct 18 by Ned_Kennedys

So everyone seems to think that overall England have probably the strongest squad in Europe with Bellingham probably the best young footballer in the world plus Kane still a world class forward.

Iโ€™d say England have a slightly weaker squad than France who have a stronger defence and probably a similar level to Portugal overall.

Not a great deal to choose between the three and England will be there or thereabouts at the Euros next summer. As they have generally been at major tournaments under Southgate.

But itโ€™s tournament football and only one team can win which usually requires a bit of luck along the way. What happens if Bellingham, Kane etc get injured or have a Beckhamesque red card meltdown.

Thatโ€™s why I think itโ€™s a bit silly to sit here today and say anything but winning the Euros next summer is a failure on Southgateโ€™s part.
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 15:12 - Oct 18 with 603 viewsJuzzie

It's not as straightforward as that. Quite often the 'best' teams haven't won. More often than not they do but it's no means guaranteed. So many factors in play.... form, injuries, on-the-day.

Whilst England are indeed very much at their highest point I've ever seem them (and they were rank in the 80's and 90's on the whole) the level of expectation from a lot of people is off the scale.
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 15:30 - Oct 18 with 579 viewsdaveB

I think France and Portugal have better squads than us, we should be going there with the ambition to win it but will need a lot of luck, especially with the draw and injuries
England Thread ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ on 15:37 - Oct 18 with 564 viewsMalintabuk

Isn't this the crux of the Southgate debate. If arguably the best team or certainly one of the best teams, in a tournament, then if things are not going to plan, the manager should change things to ensure the best chance of winning
Russia was put down to the fact of an inexperienced team that froze in the semi. Chances are France would have beaten us as they were a better team.
In the Euros personally think Southgate froze and made some poor calls regarding the Italy game.
Still think that a different manager could have won us the Euros.
I hope Germany is the tournament that comes good for England and Southgate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024