Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability 19:25 - Oct 30 with 6653 viewsJules4367

Despite how it may seem, I am trying to be positive about the new manager but have an annoying feeling that there are a number of players who (as I have commented elsewhere) either 'don't get it', 'won't get it' or 'don't have the ability or awareness to get it'

The manager has to do something drastic to wake these 'no hoopers' out of their 100 year slumber.

Do we really believe that, with the new manager, Lyndon is suddenly going to become a poacher and be able to anticipate anything that isn't actually passed directly to him?
Who then is going to be transformed and become our highest/ most prolific goal scorer?

Do you think Bergovic will suddenly distribute the ball faster or stop kicking balls into touch?

What can he say to Paal to stop him allowing half of west London (o at least the pitch) to remain unmarked to his left or to enable him to be able to stop teams running in behind him to the touch line and passing back?

What can be said that is going to transform Willock or Dozell?

What can be said to make these self-opinionated professionals suddenly transform and scoring goals or stopping teams scoring?

I hope he has the words but from the number of managers we have had, who have all tried in their own way, I fear that they won't listen. So here's my shout...

Tell Dykes he's going to be dropped - play Kholli. If Dykes isn't playing, he cannot play for Scotland and that's what will wake him up.
Tell Bergovic he's going to be dropped and Play Archer. Lets see him perform and maybe his value will increase.
Tell Paal he's going to be dropped and get him to watch his performance again and again with his eyelids held open!
Tell Dozell whatever you wish -he goes to sleep after three words (and bring in anyone!)
Tell the wasters that they are going to sit on the bench and give those on the bench a chance on the field!

What's the worst that could happen? (Considering where we are and having paid and played our A team!?)

Oh yes and as a passing thought (pun intended!) I used to watch the Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan. Each week he would be pitted against a new 'No 2' and he did things his way and the 'No. 2s' were replaced.
I see our players do what THEY want irrespective of what the new incumbent suggests and then we keep replacing the manager for having failed to be able to change their ways and find out why they have all resigned from playing!
Can't anyone else see that our players are actually ALL number 2s!?

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 19:31 - Oct 30 with 5309 viewsHooping_Mad

"I have £500 on Rotherham to win, have you seen the odds boys"

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 16:31 - Nov 1 with 4908 viewsDTIG

For the love of god.....It's BEGOVIC! not Bergovic.
What is it with people giving him an R where it doesn't belong?? Have I missed the running joke or something?
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 17:00 - Nov 1 with 4843 viewsNov77

Ethethethethethethethe ethethethethethe Chris Waddle, sminky pinky, scorchio

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 17:04 - Nov 1 with 4833 viewsNed_Kennedys

Not sure why a few people think we should be dropping a number of our first team players.

I’m hoping the new management team work with and improve them as quickly as possible, leading to us winning some games and climbing the table.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 17:45 - Nov 1 with 4744 viewsHoopie

Kakay - tries hard, but that is not enough. Marti can't make him a footballer

Armstrong - go learn the offside rule. Stop standing there 2 yards offside oblivious to what is going on around you.

Albert - dust off the golf clubs.

Dozzell - you'll never be as good as your dad.

Dykes - you're not Scottish, so stop going up north and getting injured.

Willock - try, that is all.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 19:23 - Nov 1 with 4598 viewsdannyblue

They've had a dreadful 12 months at work. Terrible results. Terrible performances. Terrible tactics. Everyone telling them they're crap. I'd expect many are unhappy, and many would prefer to be elsewhere. So the the new manager is a chance to change the atmosphere. They need to be given self belief, and confidence in a plan. I'd say:

Team: You're good players who can compete at the right end of the championship. Forget what's happened, this is a fresh start. Trust in the process, work together, we're going to have fun. Starting today, but do as I ask, we'll be flying by Christmas.

Willock & Chair: You're two of the best players in the championship and we're going to build a system to suit you, giving you posession in the final third, letting you play off each other. Lyndon's going to work to give you space. Use it. I need you to get beyond him. Use Kenny, build an understanding with Reggie.

Dykes: I've seen you score every kind of goal, especially in the Warburton purple patch. You have the ability to do it. Physically you're a match for anyone. We haven't played to your strengths. Watch Harry Kane. We're going to have you come deep, turn if you can, but if not lay the ball off. We're doing this so that you can arrive in the box a bit later and really attack the ball, rather than getting caught flat footed in the box while you wait for Illy to finally deliver.

Richards: You're a footballer, and you're going to play football, and you'll be so much happier for it. You'll get at least 20 minutes every game, and will replace Willock or Chair if either are injured or suspended. We need you. Do better than them and you'll take their place.

Dozzell: Your technique is something else. The way you struck your recent goals is phenomenal. I've seen you be tigerish. I know you care. The shackles are off. Get beyond the ball, stretch your legs, get in the box, use your vision, enjoy yourself.

Field: You are the hearbeat of this team, the fulcrum. You can be the championship Rodri. You'll be the metronome. I'll show you how.

etc.

Unrelenting positivity, and excitement about what can be achieved.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 19:51]
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 19:40 - Nov 1 with 4538 viewsPhilmyRs

The key conversation is going to be with Willock. Get him back believing in himself, his body and that it's in his interests to put in performances, we climb this table fast. There's also a conversation to be had with Richards. Can he motivate him to contribute and get that passion back. On pure ability, Richards is a good player, but as we know, there's a lot more to being successful than just ability.

Chair - try and keep him motivated and that the big move is something he'll get at the end of the season. Keep us in the league and you have your choice of where you go.

JCS - feed the ego - potentially one of the best in the Championship, can achieve greatness if you believe in yourself and your ability. The style of play will bring out the best in you, try and make 75% of the remaining games.

Cannon and Paal - you are my type of full backs. Up and down. I need you to be relentless, not a defensive player but one overlapping and causing teams problems. My style will suit you.

Beyond the above I don't think any special conversations need to take place. Cook, Collback, Fox, Field are decent pros that will just crack on. Dozzel may be worth a chat because he could suit this style. The rest I think are either not ready, not good enough, or not suited to a possession based team and there's not much that can be done. Paul Smyth I'm not sure about - can he adapt?
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 19:44 - Nov 1 with 4519 viewsDeanoMD

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 17:00 - Nov 1 by Nov77

Ethethethethethethethe ethethethethethe Chris Waddle, sminky pinky, scorchio

Brilliant, jeffing brilliant.....
Login to get fewer ads

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 21:39 - Nov 1 with 4331 viewsdigswellhoop

DO IT NOW OR LEAVE
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 21:41 - Nov 1 with 4332 viewsnumptydumpty

He should say to each player....

You're shit !!!!

Aaaaarrrrggghhhh !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 23:49 - Nov 1 with 4223 viewsLoftgirl

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 16:31 - Nov 1 by DTIG

What is it with people giving him an R where it doesn't belong?? Have I missed the running joke or something?

Careful. Paul Parker is watching with his collection of photos of Jimmy Edwards at the ready.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 23:51 - Nov 1 with 4200 viewsstainrods_elbow

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 17:04 - Nov 1 by Ned_Kennedys

Not sure why a few people think we should be dropping a number of our first team players.

I’m hoping the new management team work with and improve them as quickly as possible, leading to us winning some games and climbing the table.

Maybe because they're a (bad) joke?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 00:07 - Nov 2 with 4193 viewsPunteR

I wouldn't bring up their previous performances ever again. Concentrate on the next game.
I wouldnt even single out individuals either.
Put them in 3 groups. Defence, midfielders and strikers. Work on each area.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 00:11 - Nov 2 with 4189 viewsDejR_vu

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 19:23 - Nov 1 by dannyblue

They've had a dreadful 12 months at work. Terrible results. Terrible performances. Terrible tactics. Everyone telling them they're crap. I'd expect many are unhappy, and many would prefer to be elsewhere. So the the new manager is a chance to change the atmosphere. They need to be given self belief, and confidence in a plan. I'd say:

Team: You're good players who can compete at the right end of the championship. Forget what's happened, this is a fresh start. Trust in the process, work together, we're going to have fun. Starting today, but do as I ask, we'll be flying by Christmas.

Willock & Chair: You're two of the best players in the championship and we're going to build a system to suit you, giving you posession in the final third, letting you play off each other. Lyndon's going to work to give you space. Use it. I need you to get beyond him. Use Kenny, build an understanding with Reggie.

Dykes: I've seen you score every kind of goal, especially in the Warburton purple patch. You have the ability to do it. Physically you're a match for anyone. We haven't played to your strengths. Watch Harry Kane. We're going to have you come deep, turn if you can, but if not lay the ball off. We're doing this so that you can arrive in the box a bit later and really attack the ball, rather than getting caught flat footed in the box while you wait for Illy to finally deliver.

Richards: You're a footballer, and you're going to play football, and you'll be so much happier for it. You'll get at least 20 minutes every game, and will replace Willock or Chair if either are injured or suspended. We need you. Do better than them and you'll take their place.

Dozzell: Your technique is something else. The way you struck your recent goals is phenomenal. I've seen you be tigerish. I know you care. The shackles are off. Get beyond the ball, stretch your legs, get in the box, use your vision, enjoy yourself.

Field: You are the hearbeat of this team, the fulcrum. You can be the championship Rodri. You'll be the metronome. I'll show you how.

etc.

Unrelenting positivity, and excitement about what can be achieved.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 19:51]

Unrelenting but constructive, rather than blind optimism; something the players can buy into.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 00:12 - Nov 2 with 4178 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 16:31 - Nov 1 by DTIG

True for you, DTIRG.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 02:15 - Nov 2 with 4107 viewsMatch82

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 19:40 - Nov 1 by PhilmyRs

The key conversation is going to be with Willock. Get him back believing in himself, his body and that it's in his interests to put in performances, we climb this table fast. There's also a conversation to be had with Richards. Can he motivate him to contribute and get that passion back. On pure ability, Richards is a good player, but as we know, there's a lot more to being successful than just ability.

Chair - try and keep him motivated and that the big move is something he'll get at the end of the season. Keep us in the league and you have your choice of where you go.

JCS - feed the ego - potentially one of the best in the Championship, can achieve greatness if you believe in yourself and your ability. The style of play will bring out the best in you, try and make 75% of the remaining games.

Cannon and Paal - you are my type of full backs. Up and down. I need you to be relentless, not a defensive player but one overlapping and causing teams problems. My style will suit you.

Beyond the above I don't think any special conversations need to take place. Cook, Collback, Fox, Field are decent pros that will just crack on. Dozzel may be worth a chat because he could suit this style. The rest I think are either not ready, not good enough, or not suited to a possession based team and there's not much that can be done. Paul Smyth I'm not sure about - can he adapt?

I'm genuinely curious about Willock and whether this 180 in performance quality is due to injury doing permanent damage, inability to trust body due to injury, unwillingness to work, lack of tactics which enable his best game or some combination of all of the above.

He might be permanently broken. He might be able to get back to a player who's easily worth £10m, or anything in between.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 08:25 - Nov 2 with 3921 viewsHitch

I watched you doing the Haka and i saw something...
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 08:25 - Nov 2 with 3919 viewstraininvain

The biggest positive is that little over a year ago the bulk of this team were regularly winning games and sometimes playing attractive football in the process.

Chair and Willock have been at the forefront of our positive runs of form over the last few years so I’d imagine the first thing Marti will try to do is get them playing together and back on form.

The blueprint is still there from the Warburton and Beale eras. I’m clinging to the hope that our attacking players will feel unleashed playing under a more forward thinking manager with a clear idea on attacking patterns of play.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:13 - Nov 2 with 3848 viewsParkRoyalR

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 08:25 - Nov 2 by traininvain

The biggest positive is that little over a year ago the bulk of this team were regularly winning games and sometimes playing attractive football in the process.

Chair and Willock have been at the forefront of our positive runs of form over the last few years so I’d imagine the first thing Marti will try to do is get them playing together and back on form.

The blueprint is still there from the Warburton and Beale eras. I’m clinging to the hope that our attacking players will feel unleashed playing under a more forward thinking manager with a clear idea on attacking patterns of play.

If he can get Chair to play with his head-up and transition the ball quickly, taking only 1 or 2 touches (be it a pass or a first time cross), we will make it more difficult for opposition defences to re-set and hopefully create more than the 1 or 2 chances per game we have created in the absence of Willock.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:20 - Nov 2 with 3795 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:13 - Nov 2 by ParkRoyalR

If he can get Chair to play with his head-up and transition the ball quickly, taking only 1 or 2 touches (be it a pass or a first time cross), we will make it more difficult for opposition defences to re-set and hopefully create more than the 1 or 2 chances per game we have created in the absence of Willock.

There should be plenty space for Chair in any Cryuffian team, which will surely be Cifuentes' preferred style. Iniesta dribbled and took multiple touches, after all. Dani Alves, the same. Not all eleven players have to be metronomic tiki-taka droids. If people are moving, Chair will hopefully speed up his passing too. Like you say, it should hopefully allow Chair to return to being one of the highest creators of chances in the division.

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:54 - Nov 2 with 3720 viewsParkRoyalR

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:20 - Nov 2 by BrianMcCarthy

There should be plenty space for Chair in any Cryuffian team, which will surely be Cifuentes' preferred style. Iniesta dribbled and took multiple touches, after all. Dani Alves, the same. Not all eleven players have to be metronomic tiki-taka droids. If people are moving, Chair will hopefully speed up his passing too. Like you say, it should hopefully allow Chair to return to being one of the highest creators of chances in the division.

Fair points Brian, but like a certain CA, for many posters Chair is above any critique on this forum, and I get that as I'm also a huge fan of his work-rate, but....

I think his stats, which were similar to Ryan Manning's last year, were distorted by taking all our set-pieces and Willock scoring a few worldies after a return pass. Likewise our stats as an attacking team may well have had a positive spike when he was away at last AFCON.

Not wishing to quote Beale, but he said he's a good player but not sure he can play in a winning team (or something similar), big question is, for a bloke who's spent 20+ years coaching at the highest level, what did Beale see and mean? I'm sure he did'nt mean the other players don't move for him, they do, I see it every week, Andre Gray saw it on Day 1 and let him know it with both barrels.

For me, watching the guy home and away over a number of seasons, he just holds the ball too long and stifles our transition. Many of our fans rated him above Eze and whilst Eze's value is now rumoured to be £60m+, we would struggle to get a tenth or even a twentieth of that for Chair. Why?

So whats the key difference between Eze and Chair? For me its vision, and that comes from playing with your head-up and always considering the early pass option first, Chair unfortunately does the complete opposite, not because he does'nt have options and runners, its just he can't see them.

If Cifuentes can do what other Coaches have failed to, we will have a £6m+ asset on our books. The alternative maybe as your post, we change his role to a deeper lying midfielder rather than a 10, where he can get his head-up, travel with the ball and hopefully move it quickly to the 10's with his excellent passing technique.

For those posters who may rightly state he is the least of our problems, I would argue he is out best hope of getting out of this spiral, if we can change his position or coach him to be the trigger for our attacking play.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:58 - Nov 2 with 3702 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Earn your effing money and start winning effing games you useless bunch of hijos de putas!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 10:15 - Nov 2 with 3666 viewsQPROslo

He needs to be pointing out to all the players that we have a small squad and can't afford to be losing players to suspensions for the unnecessary yellow and red cards we've been getting of late, often for angry reactions rather than especially bad fouls. Colbakk, Armstrong, Dunne, Dozzell especially.

Chair really needs to get his head up and pass the ball. His head down dribbling and failure to pass to other players especially when we're playing badly costs us repeatedly, and he'd have been dropped long ago if Ainsworth had trusted Willock or others.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 10:17 - Nov 2 with 3653 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:54 - Nov 2 by ParkRoyalR

Fair points Brian, but like a certain CA, for many posters Chair is above any critique on this forum, and I get that as I'm also a huge fan of his work-rate, but....

I think his stats, which were similar to Ryan Manning's last year, were distorted by taking all our set-pieces and Willock scoring a few worldies after a return pass. Likewise our stats as an attacking team may well have had a positive spike when he was away at last AFCON.

Not wishing to quote Beale, but he said he's a good player but not sure he can play in a winning team (or something similar), big question is, for a bloke who's spent 20+ years coaching at the highest level, what did Beale see and mean? I'm sure he did'nt mean the other players don't move for him, they do, I see it every week, Andre Gray saw it on Day 1 and let him know it with both barrels.

For me, watching the guy home and away over a number of seasons, he just holds the ball too long and stifles our transition. Many of our fans rated him above Eze and whilst Eze's value is now rumoured to be £60m+, we would struggle to get a tenth or even a twentieth of that for Chair. Why?

So whats the key difference between Eze and Chair? For me its vision, and that comes from playing with your head-up and always considering the early pass option first, Chair unfortunately does the complete opposite, not because he does'nt have options and runners, its just he can't see them.

If Cifuentes can do what other Coaches have failed to, we will have a £6m+ asset on our books. The alternative maybe as your post, we change his role to a deeper lying midfielder rather than a 10, where he can get his head-up, travel with the ball and hopefully move it quickly to the 10's with his excellent passing technique.

For those posters who may rightly state he is the least of our problems, I would argue he is out best hope of getting out of this spiral, if we can change his position or coach him to be the trigger for our attacking play.

I'm slightly more positive than you with regards to Chair, Parky, but I agree with your post to be honest.

I'm fairly sure that I've seen that his stats for creating chances from open play have been very high in the past, but likewise over the years doing comms on the matchday freds I have on countless occasions typed phrases like "Chair, should've passed, didn't".

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 10:28 - Nov 2 with 3596 viewsActonExile

In a year (roughly) we have gone from top to second bottom.

I don't think either position is a correct assessment of the players at either time, we are probably just a 'below mid-table team'.

The difference the manager makes is surely giving a (mentally and physically in some cases) fragile squad confidence to keep doing what they are good at and cut out all the other tat.

I also think that now is the correct time to bring in this kind of manager, he has worked with squads of limited quality and he has a knowledge of leagues where we can possibly afford to poach and he has 7-8 week's to review the squad before the January transfer window.

Ps the phrase mentally fragile is not meant to offend it just means that quite often we start reasonably well and then after we concede the first we fall apart.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024