Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis 18:42 - Jan 17 with 6970 viewsNorthernr

Andrew Scherer returns to crunch the numbers on the improvement (or otherwise) under Marti Cifuentes and whether it will be enough to keep QPR in the Championship.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61730
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 19:10 - Jan 17 with 5803 viewsAntti_Heinola

What a brilliant article. Interesting that the stats bear out what a lot of us are seeing on the pitch. Sort of backs up the 'sign a striker' brigade, though. If someone were to come in and get 8 goals between now and the end of the season, that might be enough.
Maybe Lyndon will do it.
Thanks for taking the time to do all that Andrew, really interesting.
We have a good one in Marti, I'm absolutely convinced. If we'd had him from the start of the summer I honestly think we'd be safely mid-table-ish.

Bare bones.

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 19:13 - Jan 17 with 5787 viewsOldPedro

A really interesting read - thanks Andrew

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 19:33 - Jan 17 with 5696 viewsdavman

Andrew, brilliant work - really good, insightful read - thank you!

Stats, damn statistics, but at least they confirm my gut feel, which is at least we appear competitive now as opposed to being an utter embarrassment. I actually enjoyed Sunday and if it weren't for the fact we lose every week and are going down, it would have been tolerable.

But the club has been broken for a long, long while, so recovery is unlikely.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 20:29 - Jan 17 with 5496 viewsMickB

So what exactly is the problem with a marzipan dildo? I don't eat the stuff. Are they friable? Do they melt? Have you had a bad experience with one?
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 21:09 - Jan 17 with 5374 viewsjoolsyp

Fascinating read Andrew. Perhaps Mr Nourry is looking for a number 2?
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 06:42 - Jan 18 with 4834 viewsdmm

I can find football stats irritating at times but not in this analysis. As others have said, Andrew's clear and precise article spells out what I've witnessed on the pitch. I just hope his prediction is not as accurate.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 08:15 - Jan 18 with 4711 viewsFDC

Interesting piece, especially in that according to this table we can roughly quantity the cost of The Curse to be 9.5 points at this stage of the season

[Post edited 18 Jan 8:23]
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 08:52 - Jan 18 with 4653 viewsNorthernr

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 06:42 - Jan 18 by dmm

I can find football stats irritating at times but not in this analysis. As others have said, Andrew's clear and precise article spells out what I've witnessed on the pitch. I just hope his prediction is not as accurate.

Same mate. We had a discussion about bringing things like that onto the site, because it's obviously all the rage atm and I find it interesting but then I think LFW is more about the fan experience - long drawn out stories about trying to get a train to Huddersfield and cock jokes - and as soon as you start straying into pretending you actually know anything about it you can look like a right twt. Luckily around the same time we saw Dan and Andrew doing this sort of thing on Twitter and absolutely loved the tone of it which fitted well, and the Patreon means we can actually go out and get people like that now so it's worked well I think/hope.
Login to get fewer ads

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:22 - Jan 18 with 4569 viewsEastR

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 08:52 - Jan 18 by Northernr

Same mate. We had a discussion about bringing things like that onto the site, because it's obviously all the rage atm and I find it interesting but then I think LFW is more about the fan experience - long drawn out stories about trying to get a train to Huddersfield and cock jokes - and as soon as you start straying into pretending you actually know anything about it you can look like a right twt. Luckily around the same time we saw Dan and Andrew doing this sort of thing on Twitter and absolutely loved the tone of it which fitted well, and the Patreon means we can actually go out and get people like that now so it's worked well I think/hope.

Echoing other comments on here – great read, really interesting, understandable and confirms what we’ve been witnessing of late.

In the day job when presented with a set of figures and a supporting narrative its always easy to tell when something is not right. Independently, they should tell the same story and support what you can see is the case. This analysis manages to do that perfectly. Data on its own with figures bandied about means nothing. If you watch us play regularly you can see what’s happening and this analysis perfectly underlines that.

The section on ‘mentality’ is especially interesting. I agree with the conclusion that it’s a mix of not having the firepower and a lack of toughness in defending set pieces, but I also think there’s something else less tangible – we’re not having much luck. Livermore scores two goals in a game for the first time in 10 years, how unlucky is that? We need the bounce of the ball to go our way at either end of the pitch to compensate for those fine margins.

Mind you, I’m resigned to us going down. Just a bit happier we’re not capitulating like we were earlier in the season.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:31 - Jan 18 with 4549 viewsTheChef

Really interesting analysis.

Problem is, wins in football are still measured by scoring more goals than the opposition. So until we can improve that, we're stuffed.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:35 - Jan 18 with 4540 viewsscheza

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 21:09 - Jan 17 by joolsyp

Fascinating read Andrew. Perhaps Mr Nourry is looking for a number 2?

"Scherer issues come and get me plea to Rangers"

I suspect (hope) they are somewhat more sophisticated than me playing around with free online data...

Many thanks for the kind comments, pleased people find it interesting. Hopefully I'll be back in May to explain just how we managed to pull off the great escape against the odds. But as many people have noted, Cifuentes' appointment looking like a rare positive decision and something to build on/around, regardless of where we end up this season.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:36 - Jan 18 with 4536 viewsNorthernr

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:35 - Jan 18 by scheza

"Scherer issues come and get me plea to Rangers"

I suspect (hope) they are somewhat more sophisticated than me playing around with free online data...

Many thanks for the kind comments, pleased people find it interesting. Hopefully I'll be back in May to explain just how we managed to pull off the great escape against the odds. But as many people have noted, Cifuentes' appointment looking like a rare positive decision and something to build on/around, regardless of where we end up this season.

"I suspect (hope) they are somewhat more sophisticated than me playing around with free online data..."

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. No, seriously.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:41 - Jan 18 with 4519 viewsARudd

Fascinating insight and does help explain what a lot of us are seeing.

The change under Marti is obvious to the naked eye, and it feels to me like we are “close” to the mid table obscurity type of team we aspire to be.

Close, but no cigar - yet
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:54 - Jan 18 with 4481 viewsShotKneesHoop

Contrast the "mentality" "fitness" "motivation" of Blackpool last night compared to our shower of CBA individuals in our unfit mob. You can see why Neil Critchley fits in as the perfect manager for his club and not for QPR. He demands effort and commitment - and gets it. Marti does his best but it's falling on deaf ears because our lot are overpaid and too soft.
[Post edited 18 Jan 9:55]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 10:24 - Jan 18 with 4379 viewsdm97

Great article, really clear explanation of underlying data and the “so what” attached. Also very clearly shows that underlying data does align with the eye-test - we’re well coached, but soft and not very talented resulting in losing the Warbs Warburton fine margins battles.

Still think we’re gone but imagine we will get close enough to give us all hope until final days.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 10:26 - Jan 18 with 4371 viewsNorthernr

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:54 - Jan 18 by ShotKneesHoop

Contrast the "mentality" "fitness" "motivation" of Blackpool last night compared to our shower of CBA individuals in our unfit mob. You can see why Neil Critchley fits in as the perfect manager for his club and not for QPR. He demands effort and commitment - and gets it. Marti does his best but it's falling on deaf ears because our lot are overpaid and too soft.
[Post edited 18 Jan 9:55]

Both Dan and Andrew concluded the same things - sometimes you have just got to want to win the header more than the opponent.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 10:48 - Jan 18 with 4331 viewsjoe90

Interesting read and I thought the most salient point was the examination of the performance data with regards to specific phases of the games - perfectly demonstrates how we can simultaneously 'improve' but still fall short.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 11:16 - Jan 18 with 4277 viewsBurnleyhoop

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:22 - Jan 18 by EastR

Echoing other comments on here – great read, really interesting, understandable and confirms what we’ve been witnessing of late.

In the day job when presented with a set of figures and a supporting narrative its always easy to tell when something is not right. Independently, they should tell the same story and support what you can see is the case. This analysis manages to do that perfectly. Data on its own with figures bandied about means nothing. If you watch us play regularly you can see what’s happening and this analysis perfectly underlines that.

The section on ‘mentality’ is especially interesting. I agree with the conclusion that it’s a mix of not having the firepower and a lack of toughness in defending set pieces, but I also think there’s something else less tangible – we’re not having much luck. Livermore scores two goals in a game for the first time in 10 years, how unlucky is that? We need the bounce of the ball to go our way at either end of the pitch to compensate for those fine margins.

Mind you, I’m resigned to us going down. Just a bit happier we’re not capitulating like we were earlier in the season.

Unfortunately luck is not something you can work on in training, although it is said, you make your own luck!
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 12:46 - Jan 18 with 4076 viewsParkRoyalR

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 10:26 - Jan 18 by Northernr

Both Dan and Andrew concluded the same things - sometimes you have just got to want to win the header more than the opponent.

This is why I am now throwing my lot in with Armstrong & Smyth as opposed to Willock, huge Willock fan but I'd rather try and get a goal up and then work out whether we bring him on or not, given his current form & fitness (blowing after 27 minutes on Sunday!).

A goal-down and he's worth a gamble, but start with your runners & grafters and see where you are score-wise after 60 minutes substitutions wise.

Dan & Andrew on my reading also suggest its our end-product in the final third letting us down and with Smyth & Armstrong we can alternate sides and use Smyth on the side where he needs to track Millwall's best attacking full-back as better cardio, more awareness & discipline than Armstrong to track-back.

Chair in the middle, alternating Smyth & Armstrong on either flank and we will win on Saturday, believe.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 3952 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 09:22 - Jan 18 by EastR

Just on the luck issue. Livermore scored 2 near identical goals, that's not unlucky, just being thick and crap.
Both goals came down our left, a pull back and no one within yards of Livermore both times. If the players did their jobs right, track runners, close space, attack the ball then neither of those goals would have happened.

But you have to want to do that, and our lot don't, because they are not winners.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 13:56 - Jan 18 with 3843 viewsR_from_afar

Superb analysis, thank you You are spoiling us again.

If someone who works at Loftus Road could just print off a few copies and leave them in the home dressing room...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 14:00 - Jan 18 with 3818 viewsNorthernr

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 13:20 - Jan 18 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Just on the luck issue. Livermore scored 2 near identical goals, that's not unlucky, just being thick and crap.
Both goals came down our left, a pull back and no one within yards of Livermore both times. If the players did their jobs right, track runners, close space, attack the ball then neither of those goals would have happened.

But you have to want to do that, and our lot don't, because they are not winners.

It's also a goal we conceded to Jeff Hndrick last season, very nearly to Barry Bannan this.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 14:12 - Jan 18 with 3790 viewsR_from_afar

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 12:46 - Jan 18 by ParkRoyalR

This is why I am now throwing my lot in with Armstrong & Smyth as opposed to Willock, huge Willock fan but I'd rather try and get a goal up and then work out whether we bring him on or not, given his current form & fitness (blowing after 27 minutes on Sunday!).

A goal-down and he's worth a gamble, but start with your runners & grafters and see where you are score-wise after 60 minutes substitutions wise.

Dan & Andrew on my reading also suggest its our end-product in the final third letting us down and with Smyth & Armstrong we can alternate sides and use Smyth on the side where he needs to track Millwall's best attacking full-back as better cardio, more awareness & discipline than Armstrong to track-back.

Chair in the middle, alternating Smyth & Armstrong on either flank and we will win on Saturday, believe.

"Start with your runners & grafters and see where you are score-wise after 60 minutes substitutions wise". I totally agree.

If there is some doubt that a player, even your best one, will put in the required effort from the outset, starting him risks him taking it easy because he's got so much potential game time in which to make a difference. Coming off the subs' bench means you have to get involved more quickly.

That said, I don't think any tweak is going to be sufficient to keep us up. This squad needs one or more new players who carry some attacking threat, increase the virtually non-existent competition for starting places and who can also bring some fresh perspective and - Heaven forfend - professionalism into a stale and failing squad.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 14:17 - Jan 18 with 3771 viewsParkRoyalR

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 14:00 - Jan 18 by Northernr

It's also a goal we conceded to Jeff Hndrick last season, very nearly to Barry Bannan this.

Possibly another argument for starting with Smyth on the right?

Given correct briefing, he will graft & track-back better than Willock, Chair or Armstrong.
Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 14:35 - Jan 18 with 3700 viewsNorthernr

Light at the end of the tunnel, or a train coming towards us? – Analysis on 14:17 - Jan 18 by ParkRoyalR

Possibly another argument for starting with Smyth on the right?

Given correct briefing, he will graft & track-back better than Willock, Chair or Armstrong.

Like I say, I think you're just shuffling deckchairs around.

For all the analysis, and very good it is too, this is all a product of very deep seated problem with culture, attitude, standards, leadership, absenteeism, blame rather than responsibility, and it's been going on here for a long time now. It's why results don't improve for another new manager, or another six signings. And it's why it really won't make a lot of difference whether we play Chair in the middle, wide, or in goal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024