Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
India v England Test Series 09:06 - Jan 25 with 15873 viewsRangersw12

Well as expected the pitch is turning square on day 1 but very entertaining cricket

Actually think we have done pretty well problem we have is our spin attack is so inexperienced that we probably need 300 plus so likely we will be under par

India v England Test Series on 11:21 - Feb 5 with 1816 viewsGaryBannister86

India v England Test Series on 18:54 - Feb 4 by Loyalitat

Scores in our two first innings of 246 and 253 are both examples of not batting sensibly and will in the end mean that we will not win this series. In this match, we should not have been 143 runs behind India in the first innings.

Crawley was batting beautifully and gave his wicket away after having just hit an excellent boundary. He should have got a ton at least yesterday and we would have got much closer to India's first-innings score. Ben Stokes bats sensibly and can accelerate when needed, it's about time some of the others follow his lead.

For if we don't do that, we have no chance tomorrow. We will probably need two centurions tomorrow and that means batting sensibly against bowlers of the calibre of Bumrah and Ashwin.

By India's standards, this is a rather weak Indian batting line-up. When they get Kohli and Rahul back, first-innings scores of barely 250, will in all likelihood be capitalised on by India and shown for what they are: poor scores.

England's bowlers have been excellent in both innings, it's about time the batting line-up shows greater application tomorrow by batting sensibly and not giving their wickets away through injudicious/slapdash shots like Crawley's in the first innings.
[Post edited 4 Feb 20:42]

The only way I can tell from this post that you are not actually Agnew or Boycott is that there isn't a self-centred paragraph talking about "my day" or what "I would have done".

I couldn't disagree more. Crawley did exactly the same as he was doing all through the match in which he averaged over 70. You can't say poor shot one minute and cheer it going over the stands the next.

We are batting sensibly. In fact, Stokes for once got it wrong in my view not just with ambling for the run out but for going quite so slowly in the second innings.

Batting sensibly won't work. Move on from the past, I say, be more Crawley!

With the caveat - I wish Joe Root would go back to how he normally plays. He scored fast enough anyway.

Anyway, great series :-)
India v England Test Seriesss on 12:58 - Feb 5 with 1665 viewsLoyalitat

India v England Test Series on 11:21 - Feb 5 by GaryBannister86

The only way I can tell from this post that you are not actually Agnew or Boycott is that there isn't a self-centred paragraph talking about "my day" or what "I would have done".

I couldn't disagree more. Crawley did exactly the same as he was doing all through the match in which he averaged over 70. You can't say poor shot one minute and cheer it going over the stands the next.

We are batting sensibly. In fact, Stokes for once got it wrong in my view not just with ambling for the run out but for going quite so slowly in the second innings.

Batting sensibly won't work. Move on from the past, I say, be more Crawley!

With the caveat - I wish Joe Root would go back to how he normally plays. He scored fast enough anyway.

Anyway, great series :-)

Before you start to be condescending to others who may hold a slightly different view to you on test cricket, just look at the evidence in this test series as it's pretty damning. Three scores of less than 300 out of four innings will not win you test matches against either India or Australia, especially away from home.

Sensible batting, which does not mean boring, is how Joe Root used to perform. It's also how Jaiswal and Gill batted for India in the test match that concluded today. Jaiswal is an excellent T20 player, yet he adapted to the match situation thus playing a huge part in India's victory. There was nothing staid or boring about his batting or Gill's.

If you deem the shot selections today from Root, in particular, and Pope as examples of batting sensibly in a game situation that required a greater degree of caution, then words fail me. If they had shown some restraint like Jaiswal, they could have amassed another 50 runs between them and we could have won today's game against all the odds.

Worry not England, just keep swinging the bat at virtually every ball, because that's how we're going to get the better of India's bowlers on their home turf, alongside the imminent return of Rahul and possibly Kohli to bolster their batting line-up.

Like you say, an excellent series and were we to just refine our batting approach a little, we would give ourselves a better chance of winning the series. The main batsmen and Brook are the best in the country and should be scoring more than 250 in our first innings (x2). Clearly, you beg to differ.
[Post edited 5 Feb 13:33]
India v England Test Seriesss on 13:31 - Feb 5 with 1579 viewsGaryBannister86

India v England Test Seriesss on 12:58 - Feb 5 by Loyalitat

Before you start to be condescending to others who may hold a slightly different view to you on test cricket, just look at the evidence in this test series as it's pretty damning. Three scores of less than 300 out of four innings will not win you test matches against either India or Australia, especially away from home.

Sensible batting, which does not mean boring, is how Joe Root used to perform. It's also how Jaiswal and Gill batted for India in the test match that concluded today. Jaiswal is an excellent T20 player, yet he adapted to the match situation thus playing a huge part in India's victory. There was nothing staid or boring about his batting or Gill's.

If you deem the shot selections today from Root, in particular, and Pope as examples of batting sensibly in a game situation that required a greater degree of caution, then words fail me. If they had shown some restraint like Jaiswal, they could have amassed another 50 runs between them and we could have won today's game against all the odds.

Worry not England, just keep swinging the bat at virtually every ball, because that's how we're going to get the better of India's bowlers on their home turf, alongside the imminent return of Rahul and possibly Kohli to bolster their batting line-up.

Like you say, an excellent series and were we to just refine our batting approach a little, we would give ourselves a better chance of winning the series. The main batsmen and Brook are the best in the country and should be scoring more than 250 in our first innings (x2). Clearly, you beg to differ.
[Post edited 5 Feb 13:33]

Defo not being condescending, always respect any cricket fan's views, so apologies if it read that way. With the exception of Root, we weren't swinging at every ball, though. There was plenty for defence from Zak.

Pope always seems skittish to me, no idea why as he is such a good player.

Maybe a balance is what we are after - Stokes went too far today but he can find it, and lead it. Anyway, as long as we remain so competitive, all is good.
India v England Test Seriesss on 13:36 - Feb 5 with 1561 viewsTheChef

India v England Test Seriesss on 13:31 - Feb 5 by GaryBannister86

Defo not being condescending, always respect any cricket fan's views, so apologies if it read that way. With the exception of Root, we weren't swinging at every ball, though. There was plenty for defence from Zak.

Pope always seems skittish to me, no idea why as he is such a good player.

Maybe a balance is what we are after - Stokes went too far today but he can find it, and lead it. Anyway, as long as we remain so competitive, all is good.

Is Pope the new Bell?

Bell such a lovely player but never imposed himself on attacks as much as he should have.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

India v England Test Seriesss on 13:46 - Feb 5 with 1532 viewsShotKneesHoop

India v England Test Seriesss on 13:36 - Feb 5 by TheChef

Is Pope the new Bell?

Bell such a lovely player but never imposed himself on attacks as much as he should have.

Both batsmen have psychological issues. Pope is a not a 100% technically correct batsman, but Bell was. Bell's problem was that he didn't believe that he was as good as he was. Pope has the reverse side of this, he thinks he's better than he is.

Whereas I was both and I still didn''t make is. See my moniker top right of this post.

Football is drafts, cricket is chess!!
[Post edited 5 Feb 13:49]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

India v England Test Series on 10:27 - Feb 16 with 1302 viewsRangersw12

Didn't watch a lot of yesterday but today has been compelling

Win ,lose or draw England are great to watch

Be only 2 down by the close we could be in here
India v England Test Series on 11:24 - Feb 16 with 1224 viewsGaryBannister86

India v England Test Series on 10:27 - Feb 16 by Rangersw12

Didn't watch a lot of yesterday but today has been compelling

Win ,lose or draw England are great to watch

Be only 2 down by the close we could be in here

Yeah batting so well again. Stokes' captaincy is awesome.

Big if, but 600 from here could well win us the game.....live in hope!
India v England Test Series on 12:02 - Feb 16 with 1163 viewsRangersw12

India v England Test Series on 11:24 - Feb 16 by GaryBannister86

India are certainly rattled by what happened in that session especially with Ashwin saying the game is on a knife edge when still 200 ahead is unheard of

As usual the first hour is crucial but we look on top at the moment so 🤞🤞

I might even have to get up for it
Login to get fewer ads

India v England Test Series on 14:26 - Feb 16 with 1062 viewsflynnbo

India v England Test Series on 12:02 - Feb 16 by Rangersw12

India are certainly rattled by what happened in that session especially with Ashwin saying the game is on a knife edge when still 200 ahead is unheard of

As usual the first hour is crucial but we look on top at the moment so 🤞🤞

I might even have to get up for it

The look on Rahul's face when Duckett reverse swept Jadeja for a six was priceless.
India v England Test Series on 14:27 - Feb 16 with 1055 viewsSheffieldHoop

Must say, I'm finding the TNT coverage of this series a bit lacking

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

India v England Test Series on 14:28 - Feb 16 with 1054 viewsMrSheen

It seems that the BCCI hasn’t asked for nobbled pitches, though it may be because they don’t see an obvious advantage to pursue. Either way, great sport as a result.
India v England Test Series on 15:33 - Feb 16 with 1000 viewsRangersw12

India v England Test Series on 14:27 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

Must say, I'm finding the TNT coverage of this series a bit lacking

I haven't found it an issue myself

But for me it will never be as as bad as Agnew and Vaughan on the BBC who seem to be willing "Bazball" to fail .
India v England Test Series on 15:42 - Feb 16 with 990 viewsstowmarketrange

India v England Test Series on 11:24 - Feb 16 by GaryBannister86

I hope we get at least a draw out of this test as I’m out there for the 5th test in Dharamshala and it would be nice to see a series finale.
India v England Test Series on 15:43 - Feb 16 with 988 viewsflynnbo

India v England Test Series on 15:42 - Feb 16 by stowmarketrange

I hope we get at least a draw out of this test as I’m out there for the 5th test in Dharamshala and it would be nice to see a series finale.

Good effort, Stow.
India v England Test Series on 16:09 - Feb 16 with 957 viewsSheffieldHoop

India v England Test Series on 15:33 - Feb 16 by Rangersw12

I haven't found it an issue myself

But for me it will never be as as bad as Agnew and Vaughan on the BBC who seem to be willing "Bazball" to fail .

Just seems like a low-end Eurosport production, the studio looks like the CGI is from 2002

I reckon their football and boxing are better than sky sports these days. Don't think they cover any domestic cricket do they? Probably explains a lot

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

India v England Test Series on 16:50 - Feb 16 with 919 viewsRangersw12

India v England Test Series on 16:09 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

Just seems like a low-end Eurosport production, the studio looks like the CGI is from 2002

I reckon their football and boxing are better than sky sports these days. Don't think they cover any domestic cricket do they? Probably explains a lot

I'm sure I read the the studio is in Sweden because they didn't get the rights until about a week before the series and all the UK ones were booked up

The first test there wasn't even any studio or analysis.
India v England Test Series on 17:16 - Feb 16 with 887 viewsArgyBargy1982

W12. Perhaps you could have offered cutting edge analysis from your back room for the first test! A real sight at 06.00 for lunch I would imagine.
What’s your view on Stokes? Go down fighting regardless or rein back the hubris?
India v England Test Series on 17:32 - Feb 16 with 858 viewsRangersw12

India v England Test Series on 17:16 - Feb 16 by ArgyBargy1982

W12. Perhaps you could have offered cutting edge analysis from your back room for the first test! A real sight at 06.00 for lunch I would imagine.
What’s your view on Stokes? Go down fighting regardless or rein back the hubris?

As you know I always offer cutting edge analysis whatever the time of the day !

I think we just need to go down fighting , prodding and defending hasn't worked in India over the last decade so nothing to lose !!
India v England Test Series on 17:33 - Feb 16 with 853 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashwin has just pulled out of the Test because of a family emergency. Don't want to gain an advantage like that, hope all turns out OK.

Even as an umpire myself, not sure on the rule here. I presume a 12th man who can't bat or bowl? Not a concussion sub type thing?

Or maybe, hopefully, England can grant a replacement permission to bowl.
India v England Test Series on 17:38 - Feb 16 with 841 viewsArgyBargy1982

India v England Test Series on 17:32 - Feb 16 by Rangersw12

As you know I always offer cutting edge analysis whatever the time of the day !

I think we just need to go down fighting , prodding and defending hasn't worked in India over the last decade so nothing to lose !!

Wise words 12. I shall expect regular updates from your front room tomorrow as I brave Avant and x- Country to Brizzle.
India v England Test Series on 17:54 - Feb 16 with 812 viewsRangersw12

India v England Test Series on 17:33 - Feb 16 by GaryBannister86

Ashwin has just pulled out of the Test because of a family emergency. Don't want to gain an advantage like that, hope all turns out OK.

Even as an umpire myself, not sure on the rule here. I presume a 12th man who can't bat or bowl? Not a concussion sub type thing?

Or maybe, hopefully, England can grant a replacement permission to bowl.

From the BBC site
"
If he does not return to the Test, India will not be allowed to replace his batting or bowling, but will be permitted a substitute fielder."
India v England Test Series on 18:20 - Feb 16 with 785 viewsstowmarketrange

India v England Test Series on 17:54 - Feb 16 by Rangersw12

From the BBC site
"
If he does not return to the Test, India will not be allowed to replace his batting or bowling, but will be permitted a substitute fielder."

That’s a shame that he’s had to withdraw from the test,but maybe we should allow India to replace him with a like for like replacement due to the exceptional circumstances.
They will miss him in both major aspects of this test.
India v England Test Series on 18:32 - Feb 16 with 770 viewsstowmarketrange

India v England Test Series on 15:43 - Feb 16 by flynnbo

Good effort, Stow.

I was hoping to be out there for the last 3 tests but I’d settle for one in the foothills of the Himalayas I guess.The hoops will be on show for at least 1 day,snow permitting.
India v England Test Series on 19:24 - Feb 16 with 711 viewsBeejnewark

India v England Test Series on 18:20 - Feb 16 by stowmarketrange

That’s a shame that he’s had to withdraw from the test,but maybe we should allow India to replace him with a like for like replacement due to the exceptional circumstances.
They will miss him in both major aspects of this test.

And if Bumrah's hamstring twinge is more serious, they'll be up against it for sure
India v England Test Series on 07:22 - Feb 17 with 599 viewsstowmarketrange

India v England Test Series on 19:24 - Feb 16 by Beejnewark

And if Bumrah's hamstring twinge is more serious, they'll be up against it for sure

We need a few more to get injured to get out of this mess now.Oh well,it looks like I’ll be there for the dead rubber then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024