Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
India v England Test Series 09:06 - Jan 25 with 15842 viewsRangersw12

Well as expected the pitch is turning square on day 1 but very entertaining cricket

Actually think we have done pretty well problem we have is our spin attack is so inexperienced that we probably need 300 plus so likely we will be under par

India v England Test Series on 22:08 - Jan 28 with 2551 viewsRangersw12

India v England Test Series on 21:32 - Jan 28 by Superhoops2808

Anti - I didn't suggest that Stokes wasn't the right man for the job. He Definity is - But even though Foakes did good in the 2nd innings, that was all regulation stuff that you expect from a wicket keeper and we should have moved for a young player now in readiness for the Ashes that is less than a year away.

My other question is Bairstow. Time to replace him too.

And finally Leach... I remain unconvinced - He's not like Swann, Monty, or other game changers -

But one thing we both agree on, best victory overseas for me during my lifetime. If we can get one more test (and I see no reason we cannot) then India will be on the ropes.

I don't disagree about time to replace certain players but a 5 match series in India isn't the place to do it

We have Sri Lanka and Windies at home this summer which seems a perfect time to bring some new blood in
India v England Test Series on 22:52 - Jan 28 with 2487 viewsAntti_Heinola

Anti - I didn't suggest that Stokes wasn't the right man for the job. He Definity is - But even though Foakes did good in the 2nd innings, that was all regulation stuff that you expect from a wicket keeper and we should have moved for a young player now in readiness for the Ashes that is less than a year away.

And finally Leach... I remain unconvinced - He's not like Swann, Monty, or other game changers -

But one thing we both agree on, best victory overseas for me during my lifetime. If we can get one more test (and I see no reason we cannot) then India will be on the ropes.

Ben Foakes is 30 - he's not drawing his pension exactly! Rew has a long way to go before he can be first choice WK for an Indian tour. But I'm sure he'll get there.
I do agree about JB. There's a question mark there. BUT, if he can regain the form of before his broken leg... how can you leave him out?

Bare bones.

India v England Test Series on 23:18 - Jan 28 with 2451 viewsCamberleyR

"But even though Foakes did good in the 2nd innings, that was all regulation stuff"

To be honest, had Bairstow or Buttler been keeping I think they would have fumbled at least one of those stumping chances that Foakes took which would have been the difference between victory and defeat here.
[Post edited 28 Jan 23:44]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

India v England Test Series on 23:44 - Jan 28 with 2419 viewsthame_hoops

India v England Test Series on 22:52 - Jan 28 by Antti_Heinola

Ben Foakes is 30 - he's not drawing his pension exactly! Rew has a long way to go before he can be first choice WK for an Indian tour. But I'm sure he'll get there.
I do agree about JB. There's a question mark there. BUT, if he can regain the form of before his broken leg... how can you leave him out?

I wonder if the England camp see Jamie Smith of Surrey, ahead of somebody like Rew
India v England Test Series on 08:01 - Jan 29 with 2301 viewsSuperhoops2808

India v England Test Series on 23:44 - Jan 28 by thame_hoops

I wonder if the England camp see Jamie Smith of Surrey, ahead of somebody like Rew

In years to come Thame, those two will be fighting over the gloves.

For me, Rew is the better prospect, but only just. We have always had a raft of decent wicket keepers.

But we need to revert back to the dedicated wicket keeper and not following the lines of as mentioned above of Butler/Bairstow - Back to the days of Geraint Jones or Jack Russell
India v England Test Series on 08:36 - Jan 29 with 2268 viewsthame_hoops

India v England Test Series on 08:01 - Jan 29 by Superhoops2808

In years to come Thame, those two will be fighting over the gloves.

For me, Rew is the better prospect, but only just. We have always had a raft of decent wicket keepers.

But we need to revert back to the dedicated wicket keeper and not following the lines of as mentioned above of Butler/Bairstow - Back to the days of Geraint Jones or Jack Russell

I bought stock in Tom Banton a few years ago, really thought he’d be the next one for England
India v England Test Series on 09:10 - Jan 29 with 2238 viewsGaryBannister86

India v England Test Series on 23:18 - Jan 28 by CamberleyR

"But even though Foakes did good in the 2nd innings, that was all regulation stuff"

To be honest, had Bairstow or Buttler been keeping I think they would have fumbled at least one of those stumping chances that Foakes took which would have been the difference between victory and defeat here.
[Post edited 28 Jan 23:44]

Really don't want to argue about England in one of their finest ever hours, but this pro-Foakes / Russell / Read / Foster argument is what winds me up.

Yes, Foakes did well second innings and did some stumpings. I say Bairstow / Butler / Billings / Smith etc would most likely have done exactly the same.

And maybe they wouldn't have dropped the chance in the first innings? Maybe they wouldn't have let shoddy byes through? And one thing is for sure - they would have offered better contributions to the reviews than Foakes did. He is terrible at that.

My point of the above is that because Foakes looks good apparently everything he does is amazing and all the other glovemen would miss them. It is garbage, just as it was with Russell, Read, Foster. All keepers make stumpings, all miss them, bla bla. It is the all-round package I'm interested in.
India v England Test Series on 11:32 - Feb 2 with 1989 viewsRangersw12

Foakes proved his with with that catch today

Thought we bowled very well and if we can restrict them to 400 then we have done very well on that pitch

Looks like it will be a one innings game so we need to bat well and big before the pitch rags
Login to get fewer ads

India v England Test Series on 12:18 - Feb 2 with 1881 viewsGaryBannister86

India v England Test Series on 11:32 - Feb 2 by Rangersw12

Foakes proved his with with that catch today

Thought we bowled very well and if we can restrict them to 400 then we have done very well on that pitch

Looks like it will be a one innings game so we need to bat well and big before the pitch rags

It was a brilliant catch, fair play.

The bowlers were terrific. Rehan Ahmed will win us an Ashes one day, Bashir was very promising indeed.

Best of all was Anderson, if he keeps at it he may be a proper bowler in time.
India v England Test Series on 14:43 - Feb 2 with 1776 viewsRangersw12

Jimmy was just immense and hopefully he will go through them tomorrow morning with the new ball 🤞🤞
India v England Test Series on 08:37 - Feb 3 with 1664 viewsRangersw12

Mmmmmmm

Need a partnership now 😬
India v England Test Series on 12:12 - Feb 3 with 1606 viewsManinBlack

We are in the same boat now as the first test. In all probability we won't turn it around a second time.
India v England Test Series on 09:30 - Feb 4 with 1438 viewsDavieQPR

Just as a side note. Saw on YouTube that one stump costs £30,000. No wonder they stopped players taking them at the end of a match.
India v England Test Series on 10:12 - Feb 4 with 1399 viewsRangersw12

Great fight from England and it's likely we will lose but Bazball does weird things to the opposition. India were clearly worried about runs and were trying to eek out every one without taking risks

They should have attacked and got another 50 to really put the game to bed
India v England Test Series on 10:35 - Feb 4 with 1353 viewsGaryBannister86

India v England Test Series on 10:12 - Feb 4 by Rangersw12

Great fight from England and it's likely we will lose but Bazball does weird things to the opposition. India were clearly worried about runs and were trying to eek out every one without taking risks

They should have attacked and got another 50 to really put the game to bed

Bizarre, wasn't it. We will obviously lose but how fun to see the opposition actually wary of us for a change!
India v England Test Series on 10:56 - Feb 4 with 1321 viewsSydneyRs

India v England Test Series on 10:35 - Feb 4 by GaryBannister86

Bizarre, wasn't it. We will obviously lose but how fun to see the opposition actually wary of us for a change!

It definitely rattles other teams, including Australia who have been doing their very best Catherine Tate "am I bovvered" impersonation, despite being clearly unsettled by it during the last ashes which they almost managed to lose from 2-0 up and would have but for two days of rain.

England have never been more entertaining, so long may it continue.
India v England Test Series on 11:28 - Feb 4 with 1281 viewsRangersw12

I reckon we have about 10% chance to win but would be great to put them under pressure and make them think they can't set any total without us getting close

Brilliant to watch and tempted to set the alarm
India v England Test Series on 12:39 - Feb 4 with 1226 viewsGaryBannister86

Just heard dinosaur Agnew on 5 live berating Rehan Ahmed for not playing "sensibly" in the last two overs. They never learn do they? In Stokes we trust, not you, you old self-centred plonker.
India v England Test Series on 14:38 - Feb 4 with 1123 viewsSuperhoops2808

India v England Test Series on 10:35 - Feb 4 by GaryBannister86

This 'We will obviously lose' mentality is as old as your comments about Agnew.

Lets just wait and see as we have the talent in that squad to do it, and if we get remotely close, then India will wobble. Best way to look at things is set milestones, and we have so far only lost one wicket for the first 50 runs. I still think my WinViz is set at 80-20 in their favour

If Crawley and Pope can put on a partnership, both are in good form - Lets just enjoy the ride
India v England Test Series on 16:47 - Feb 4 with 1038 viewsRangersw12

Just read that no visiting team has hit 300 in the 4th innings in India which shows the mammoth task that England have .

Will say that this is only team in the world who do have a chance and if we get within 100 runs with a few wickets left then hopefully India will panic
India v England Test Series on 17:14 - Feb 4 with 1007 viewsswisscottage

To put this into context England are best priced 4/1 with the bookies and a little under 5/1 on Betfair.

To do something that has never been done before.

Simply bizarre.

However it is only a day 4 wicket, and other than the odd one keeping low, is still playing pretty well. 332 to get with 9 wickets remaining, the Indians are sure nervous.
India v England Test Series on 18:54 - Feb 4 with 929 viewsLoyalitat

India v England Test Series on 12:39 - Feb 4 by GaryBannister86

Just heard dinosaur Agnew on 5 live berating Rehan Ahmed for not playing "sensibly" in the last two overs. They never learn do they? In Stokes we trust, not you, you old self-centred plonker.

Scores in our two first innings of 246 and 253 are both examples of not batting sensibly and will in the end mean that we will not win this series. In this match, we should not have been 143 runs behind India in the first innings.

Crawley was batting beautifully and gave his wicket away after having just hit an excellent boundary. He should have got a ton at least yesterday and we would have got much closer to India's first-innings score. Ben Stokes bats sensibly and can accelerate when needed, it's about time some of the others follow his lead.

For if we don't do that, we have no chance tomorrow. We will probably need two centurions tomorrow and that means batting sensibly against bowlers of the calibre of Bumrah and Ashwin.

By India's standards, this is a rather weak Indian batting line-up. When they get Kohli and Rahul back, first-innings scores of barely 250, will in all likelihood be capitalised on by India and shown for what they are: poor scores.

England's bowlers have been excellent in both innings, it's about time the batting line-up shows greater application tomorrow by batting sensibly and not giving their wickets away through injudicious/slapdash shots like Crawley's in the first innings.
[Post edited 4 Feb 20:42]
India v England Test Series on 11:07 - Feb 5 with 753 viewsRangersw12

Brave effort but to be expected

Needed another 100 runs in the first innings which would have made the difference.

Seems like a missed opportunity with Indian big guns to come back .
India v England Test Series on 11:17 - Feb 5 with 736 viewsGaryBannister86

India v England Test Series on 14:38 - Feb 4 by Superhoops2808

This 'We will obviously lose' mentality is as old as your comments about Agnew.

Lets just wait and see as we have the talent in that squad to do it, and if we get remotely close, then India will wobble. Best way to look at things is set milestones, and we have so far only lost one wicket for the first 50 runs. I still think my WinViz is set at 80-20 in their favour

If Crawley and Pope can put on a partnership, both are in good form - Lets just enjoy the ride

No, you misunderstand me. I think under Stokes we can do anything, because he goes against the grain of the fossils like Agnew.

Or a poster above saying Crawley threw it away. No he didn't, as Stokes would have said, he should have gone harder and stuck it in the stands. That is why he is scoring 70s in both innings, because he is playing his shots.

But the fact is trying to get 400 in India batting second was one hell of a task, obviously. That is all I meant.

We got encouragingly close, if a couple of umpire's calls had gone our way (thanks Dean Gaffney) we would have gone very close indeed.

Great series, though, what a change from just getting rolled over poking about.
India v England Test Series on 11:21 - Feb 5 with 723 viewsAntti_Heinola

India v England Test Series on 18:54 - Feb 4 by Loyalitat

Scores in our two first innings of 246 and 253 are both examples of not batting sensibly and will in the end mean that we will not win this series. In this match, we should not have been 143 runs behind India in the first innings.

Crawley was batting beautifully and gave his wicket away after having just hit an excellent boundary. He should have got a ton at least yesterday and we would have got much closer to India's first-innings score. Ben Stokes bats sensibly and can accelerate when needed, it's about time some of the others follow his lead.

For if we don't do that, we have no chance tomorrow. We will probably need two centurions tomorrow and that means batting sensibly against bowlers of the calibre of Bumrah and Ashwin.

By India's standards, this is a rather weak Indian batting line-up. When they get Kohli and Rahul back, first-innings scores of barely 250, will in all likelihood be capitalised on by India and shown for what they are: poor scores.

England's bowlers have been excellent in both innings, it's about time the batting line-up shows greater application tomorrow by batting sensibly and not giving their wickets away through injudicious/slapdash shots like Crawley's in the first innings.
[Post edited 4 Feb 20:42]

Like Agnew, you miss the point of how England play. Without playing the way they do, they wouldn't create the opportunities to win from seemingly impossible positions or on flat wickets. The downside of that is sometimes you lose your wicket playing an attacking, or risky shot. But the odds, as Stokes and McCullum have proved countless times, and will continue to prove, make it worthwhile.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024