Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? 10:32 - Feb 7 with 7948 viewshubble

Don't you think this has been a fascinating season so far, indeed, perhaps the most fascinating for many years?

When it started, I imagine most of you, like me, were relying on a huge amount of hope. Because that was all we had really, versus the cold hard reality of a manager who was not only clearly completely out of his depth, but actively undermining the group psyche of the entire squad.

What I mean is that his core strategy seemed to be a bizarre Haka-style bravado, in place of anything resembling tactical analysis, positional awareness, or how to get the best out of a bunch of underperforming and dispirited players. Not long into the season, my impression was that the players pretty much downed tools in exasperation at what was going on. Indiscipline became rife, injuries multiplied. And as each game went by, we looked worse and worse and were soon teetering over the abyss.

Nevertheless, the fans kept turning up, hoping perhaps that their sheer collective will would lift the team above the level of being utterly dire. Surely the board would act? But when we went into the first international break and the manager was still in place we looked doomed. A large proportion of fans were crying out for that patron saint of teams in trouble: St. Colin of Warnock. For who else could save us? Who else would even come, for that matter? The list of alternative names of potential managers who might be crazy enough to take over did not look pretty.

And then a whole series of unexpected things happened. It seemed our owners finally awoke from their long stupor and realised that they could actually generate cash through naming rights. This was the start of a domino effect of events: Ainsworth was sacked, Amit resigned, Hoos became chairman and temporary CEO and, then, most incredible of all, a manager with genuine pedigree arrived. A foreign manager who spoke impeccable English: intelligent, eloquent, articulate, with fresh ideas, genuine experience, including, incredibly, a stint working with Millwall. How was this possible????

From the moment he arrived, the gloom lifted. The players were clearly revitalised. Players who had been resigned to the shadows came back into the light and started to shine: Willock in particular. A talisman in past seasons. Everything began to improve. And after a couple of creditable draws and a narrow defeat, we won three games on the spin. Amazing!

But this was a Herculean task, and inevitably the energy required to achieve escape velocity from the League 1 black hole seemed too much, even for a man of Marti Cifuentes' abilities, and we began to falter. But the remarkable events hadn't finished. A brand new CEO arrived, again, seemingly out of nowhere, young, with bright ideas, untarnished by the moldering Rangers legacy of old. But even he told us: there's no money for new players.

So we went into January with low expectations, and yet still the hope that our new coach could perform a minor miracle and turn things round. But with no injection of new players, how could this under-performing bunch survive? The end of January approached... Clearly there was no one coming in.

And then.... boom: Michi Frey (Who the f...?), well, better than nothing.... but no, there was more: Isaac Hayden - wow - a classy midfielder... WTF? But no, there was more: Joe Hodge, and young Ireland international from Wolves, a genuine talent.... WOW!

Suddenly things looked very different. Yet still we headed up to Ewood with our record there of no wins since 1999 glaring at us. Maybe a draw would do. No, we won!

And then, Lucas Andersen signed on as well.

So, here we are, with a completely different mindset from three months ago: comparing performance tables with, not just a modicum of genuine hope, but also admiration.

And this is why supporting a team like QPR is such a niche experience; something appreciated only by true connoisseurs of the beautiful game. Something mainstream armchair fans simply cannot understand. To stick to a belief in something as arbitrary as a 'football team', and not only that, but one that apparently rarely delivers the vicarious hit so craved on a weekly basis by the mainstream addicts, would appear, on the surface, to be some kind of perverse madness. But to those ITK (i.e. all of us who follow Rangers), this is why we do it. Because we are - whether by luck or judgement, it does not matter - football aficionados. And seasons like this are our pay-off. To be savoured like a fine wine, with all its unexpected depths and flavours and nuances.

Of course the season could still end up with the massive downer of relegation. But I don't think it will. I think we will survive, and then in years to come, we may even look back at this season as a remarkable turning point in the strange, chequered yet beautiful  history of Queens Park Rangers.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 17:06 - Feb 7 with 2258 viewsterryb

A season to savour?

Not for me, but I do see similarities with the 2006/07 season. That was a shit season, but I still fondly remember the win at home to Preston, the Paul Furlong winner against Luton, the difference that the January signings made & the sheer relief that we recovered enough to survive.

If we manage that this season, it will be remembered as mainly being crap, but with a few unforgettable moments.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 17:12 - Feb 7 with 2239 viewsdutch

For me the most extraordinary thing about this season is us. The support both home and away has been incredible, HQ near full every week despite the fact we can't buy a win there. There were games in the prem when we sold less seats. I think we are collectively aware that the joys of supporting Rangers are slender, but all the more sweet when adversity is biting our arses. Stay up this year after the way we started at Watford and we will have witnessed something close to a miracle.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 17:23 - Feb 7 with 2192 viewsPunteR

Give us a toke on that spliff Hubbs.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 17:50 - Feb 7 with 2132 viewsderbyhoop

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:35 - Feb 7 by E15Hoop

I think this thread is separating the "glass is half full" people out from the "glass is half empty" proponents !

I'm with Hubbs: Momentum is a big thing in football, as it is in any aspect of human endeavour, and we've now got genuine positive forwards motion.

That in itself is something to genuinely savour after the chaos we've all endured over these past couple of years in particular.

I do believe that we could go on a two points per game average run now, which would get us to 60 points and mid-table mediocrity -How good would that be, after all the angst of the last 6 months??

Nurse!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 18:10 - Feb 7 with 2050 viewsderbyhoop

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:35 - Feb 7 by E15Hoop

I think this thread is separating the "glass is half full" people out from the "glass is half empty" proponents !

I'm with Hubbs: Momentum is a big thing in football, as it is in any aspect of human endeavour, and we've now got genuine positive forwards motion.

That in itself is something to genuinely savour after the chaos we've all endured over these past couple of years in particular.

I do believe that we could go on a two points per game average run now, which would get us to 60 points and mid-table mediocrity -How good would that be, after all the angst of the last 6 months??

Nurse!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 19:24 - Feb 7 with 1976 viewsNorrisGreen

We were everyones favourite for the drop at start. Many people went into a meltdown after Oxford thrashing and, getting thumped by Horns in first game didn't help. But within weeks I'd enjoyed great days out at Cardiff and Boro so I had no real fears tor the future or concerns over Ainsworth. It then petered out and sundry staff exited the club and we've now reset. Right now my expectations are back inline with what they were in September, finishing 16th-ish. Only difference is that today, 16th would be regarded as The Great Escape and the re-birth of the club instead of yet another meh season.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 21:13 - Feb 7 with 1883 viewsSpaceman_P

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:41 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Imagine this;

A last minute Taylor Richards goal at Coventry on the last game of the season to leapfrog Millwall and send them down and put us into safety.

Don't get ahead of yourself, that would never happen. I'd bet on it.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 00:43 - Feb 8 with 1739 viewsnumptydumpty

Brilliant yet absurdly crazy post Hubble.

Totally get your point and completely to consistently follow this often sad rubble of a football team, you do have to be strangely unstable.

There is no other explanation.

If this season mirrors the season when Warnock saved us majestically from relegation to League One and then next season mirrors the season of Adel including the madness of being achieved with the massive threat of points deductions, then I can empathise with your sentiments.

Marti is the new Colin !!!

And yes us followers we are all just slightly randomly bonkers !!!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 07:29 - Feb 8 with 1624 viewsnix

I think I was way too relaxed after pre-season. N my defence I get tired of the constant calls for a new manager/Board/whole squad after a couple of losses (not so much on here - although there are the usual suspects but in other SM) . I went to the AFC Wimbledon and Oxford matches and they were among the worst I’ve ever seen us play, and I’ve seen Nbakoto, Mlakar and Assou Ekotu play for us! We were a shambles and barely looked like we’d played professionally, let alone in a team together. But I foolishly had faith GA could at least pull together team spirit but that actually worsened more than the performances on the pitch.

What Martí has done has been pretty amazing. Apart from Richards he’s turned everyone round and they’re playing as a team and improving individually. The same team that lost 5-0 to Oxford now battles and wins away at Blackburn. I just hope we haven’t left it too late…

I agree with PP the support in the ground and at away matches has been brilliant. They ve kept the faith and it’s starting to pay off.

One thing I really want as a late Christmas present is to get more of the rub of the green from officials. It’s largely gone against us this season with a few exceptions such as when we had that run of three wins and we had a couple of refs that favoured us a bit. But surely we deserve a few matches where they give us an offside goal and award us more than 50% of the 50/50 free kicks and book the other teams’ players for similar offences that they let us off for. Just to balance things out a tad!
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 08:16 - Feb 8 with 1561 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:37 - Feb 7 by colinallcars

Then, with seconds remaining, Begovic has to go off injured. Richards goes in goal and saves a stoppage time penalty.

Then the Parisian crowd storm the pitch and smuggle the QPR players to liberty from the Nazis.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 08:32 - Feb 8 with 1517 viewswestberksr

Savour? in a word, NO

far too painful so far and if we do avoid relegation the sensation will be that of relief.

But I wish I had your mentally towards this; where there is some form of blind faith or optimism; even being able to analyse what has gone before as fascinating, rather than excruciating.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 08:57 - Feb 8 with 1453 viewsBrianMcCarthy

No, definitely haven't savoured it.

Off and on the pitch we were a mess for so much of it. But have enjoyed it since Cifuentes walked through the door. I didn't actually see him come through the door, he may well have sauntered, possibly even sashayed.

Remain confident we'll stay up.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 09:04 - Feb 8 with 1439 viewsTheChef

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 16:31 - Feb 7 by Paddyhoops

Great post. Hopefully it will be a season of extremes. Horrendous first half . Excellent second .
Lot more reason for hope with the new loan signings .
Hayden and Hodge will be the difference . They look a cut above this level from the little I’ve seen .
Time will tell with Bentos and Gillian .
Might be a while before they get up to speed.
I thought we were gone a month ago .
We’ve got a huge chance now.

Er who is Gillian?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 09:31 - Feb 8 with 1392 viewsTonto

I dont feel we can look back yet, but we could in a year or twos time and see this as the point at which the oil tanker got turned around. If we continue on our current course yes, it will be a season to savor. But we don't know where we are heading just yet.

Yes I also see the fence I'm sitting o !

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:07 - Feb 8 with 1321 viewsMrSheen

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 09:04 - Feb 8 by TheChef

Er who is Gillian?

The truth is out there.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:11 - Feb 8 with 1303 viewsMrSheen

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 09:31 - Feb 8 by Tonto

I dont feel we can look back yet, but we could in a year or twos time and see this as the point at which the oil tanker got turned around. If we continue on our current course yes, it will be a season to savor. But we don't know where we are heading just yet.

Yes I also see the fence I'm sitting o !

Hopefully this will prove to be the start of the rebirth, but the labour pains have been agony. Mrs Sheen thinks I'm insane to have kept skipping off down the road in confident expectation of a miserable time so often this season. My son bought me a QPR mug for Christmas and I couldn't bring myself to taking it out of the box until the day before the Millwall game. A sign?
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:21 - Feb 8 with 1280 viewsPaddyhoops

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 09:04 - Feb 8 by TheChef

Er who is Gillian?

Anderson / X files . After our new Danish guy. Shit . I know🤦🏼‍♂️
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:25 - Feb 8 with 1196 viewsrobith

Lol. It's been absolutely abject.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:42 - Feb 8 with 1150 viewsngbqpr

Savour? Not quite the word for me. Enjoy certainly isn't - but then, neither is endure.

I definitely get energised by rollercoaster seasons, and / or seasons when something's at stake. I suspect most would agree mid-table seasons when you never have to look up or down can be pretty dull - having said that, in Warbs' very mid-table first season, there were some great moments when Eze, BOS & Chair were all purring (Stoke & Blackburn at home spring to mind).

I agree with Terry, definitely echoes of 2006-7, and that great escape had some days which really helped cement my young son's support (Jimmy Smith winner at Cov anyone?).

And like Dutch and others have mentioned, near full houses at every home game and the away support both holding up and being loud & proud - well that bit I have definitely savoured.

I love Moncler Marti, and hope he gets the happy ending he deserves - and that I would savour.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 23:37 - Apr 26 with 507 viewsngbqpr

Thought I'd bump this one back up.

We savouring now or what?

Hubble the Soothsayer

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 23:51 - Apr 26 with 465 viewsperpignanR

No. The season been dreadful and we must not be in this position again.Ever.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 23:52 - Apr 26 with 454 viewsToast_R

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 23:51 - Apr 26 by perpignanR

No. The season been dreadful and we must not be in this position again.Ever.

Has Mark Hughes turned up? 😆
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 23:54 - Apr 26 with 435 viewsperpignanR

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 23:52 - Apr 26 by Toast_R

Has Mark Hughes turned up? 😆

Yes.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 00:36 - Apr 27 with 325 viewsGaryT

A little reminder of where we were at the end of October.

I always thought we would get out of it despite the regular backslides but looking back, we really were nailed on to go down.

Marti hasn't stayed very long at any of his previous clubs but I hope he's our new Warburton and stays for a few years and builds us and himself up before moving on to bigger Premier things.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 00:40 - Apr 27 with 320 viewssaxbend

It's certainly a memorable one, but because it's only after 45 games that we can say it's memorable for the right reasons, I don't think it will be savoured. I do hope that it will be known largely as the first season of the Cifuentes era, and then secondary to that will be the memories of Dunne's winner and the tonking of Leeds.
[Post edited 27 Apr 0:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024