Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! 11:21 - Feb 9 with 3983 viewsnumptydumpty

My grammar skills do not extend to semi colons.

When are they used for punctuations ??

And when people write their pieces of prose on here, who pays special attention to their grammar !! 😆

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 23:37 - Feb 10 with 934 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 22:56 - Feb 10 by GloryHunter

Wow, what an amazing thread. As a (retired) journalist, I know that punctuation is vital to getting your point across. But I gave up trying to explain it to people years ago. In my opinion, you either get it, or you don't. I always just copied writers that I admired. Look at Nick Hornby (love him or loathe him) - he breaks classical punctuation rules, but you always know what he's trying to say. Whereas that James Joyce - blimey!

Damn interesting, GloryHunter.

I think, speak and type in a very similar way to you. I use lots of commas, lots of short sentences, lots of run-ons. And then - for no reason at all - I throw in a change of pace. It's just the way I speak, so I tend to type the same way that I speak.

I've always felt bad about it. I know I'm breaking a million rules.

I have no education in writing at all, and I always wonder if I'm driving people mad with poor punctutaion, or over-punctuation.

Then again; I don't care.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 08:34 - Feb 12 with 816 viewshubble

You got that last semicolon wrong, Brian. It should have been a comma....
;-)

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 08:55 - Feb 12 with 811 viewsTheChef

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 17:49 - Feb 9 by paulparker

This thread is taylor made for loftgirl it might be the only time he /she/they actually come in handy

Can't believe she hasn't down voted you

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 08:59 - Feb 12 with 810 viewsFredManRave

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 08:34 - Feb 12 by hubble

You got that last semicolon wrong, Brian. It should have been a comma....
;-)

It's as if the man has had no education in writing, at all!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 09:26 - Feb 12 with 795 viewselnombre

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:53 - Feb 9 by Sonic_Hoop

Most commonly used; when making a list, getting rid of multiple instances of and, tidying up a cluttered paragraph, getting your word count down.

while we're celebrating punctuation, a special shout-out for Sonic's Oxford comma...
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 13:20 - Feb 12 with 725 viewsnumptydumpty

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 14:29 - Feb 10 by Boston

Have you had your period yet?

Ooh controversial Boston !!! 🤣

Have a friend who whenever his partner disagrees with him, he says to her,

" Are you on your period lovey ?"

Let's put it this way, the response tends to suggest she is a tad wound up by the question !!!
[Post edited 12 Feb 13:21]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:56 - Feb 12 with 664 viewskensalriser

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 13:20 - Feb 12 by numptydumpty

Ooh controversial Boston !!! 🤣

Have a friend who whenever his partner disagrees with him, he says to her,

" Are you on your period lovey ?"

Let's put it this way, the response tends to suggest she is a tad wound up by the question !!!
[Post edited 12 Feb 13:21]

Surprised he hasn't had the punch in the gob he richly deserves.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 16:23 - Feb 12 with 641 viewsizlingtonhoop

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:05 - Feb 9 by GaryBannister86

Think of a colon (mainly) as introducing a list.

So:

The players I rate: Cook, Armstrong and Field.

Rather than the semi colon:

Begovic is a useless mercenary; we should play Walsh.

As I understand it, a colon introduces a list whereby the items - some or all - are represented by more than a single word, and thus a semicolon is used between the items.

All football suppors should carry: a scarf in the club's colours; money for Bovril; a noisy rattle; and an oyster card.
Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 21:21 - Mar 11 with 460 viewsGloryHunter

To resurrect this thread, can anyone explain to me why - and when - *asterisks* have replaced "inverted commas" in text-speak? I don't recall ever being notified about this change.
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 22:26 - Mar 11 with 399 viewsShotKneesHoop

A semi colon could not cope with that amount of germs, a complete colon could not cope either; the Taylor Richard’s analogy is very appropriate, one is amazed that you can stack shyte that high.
[Post edited 11 Mar 22:28]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 01:35 - Mar 12 with 324 viewsjtuck

How about this?: a semi-colon is halfway between a comma (slight pause) and a full stop (a complete end to a sentence). Therefore, a semi-colon is a longer pause (maybe even a 'pregnant pause'!). Those who placed the emphasis in this thread on punctuation being linked to how you would speak, or how you would read the words out loud, seem to me to be on the right tracks. And I use it and see other people use it most frequently for lists.

But, what do I know?

LAranger

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024