Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke Travel 22:41 - Feb 10 with 3172 viewsbenhurst

Stupidly thinking of making the trip to Stoke on Wednesday, looks like the last train down to London leaves at 10:09pm. Is there any chance of making it back to the station before then without leaving early or would I be playing with fire?
Stoke Travel on 22:47 - Feb 10 with 3126 viewscolinallcars

It's only backward countries like France, Germany and Japan that have comprehensive rail services.
Stoke Travel on 23:10 - Feb 10 with 3067 viewsWatford_Ranger

Slim to say the least unless you’re Mo Farah. There are buses back to the station but they aren’t generally in a huge rush.
Stoke Travel on 01:30 - Feb 11 with 2871 viewsBoston

Surely into Birmingham and catch a train from New Street?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stoke Travel on 01:46 - Feb 11 with 2842 viewsHaslingtonR

As a reasonable local, I can say with some certainty that you will not be able to get back to London by train.
Stoke Travel on 03:16 - Feb 11 with 2783 viewsBoston

Stoke Travel on 01:46 - Feb 11 by HaslingtonR

As a reasonable local, I can say with some certainty that you will not be able to get back to London by train.

Ta, it had been my experience that most of the locals were unreasonable.

Stoke Travel on 10:58 - Feb 11 with 2477 viewsstowmarketrange

Google maps says that it’s 1.9 miles from the stadium to the station and a 44 minute walk,so looking at the game finishing about 9.45 you’ll have no chance of making the 22.09 train.only 8 mins in a car though,assuming you don’t get stuck in traffic.You could always stay until the final whistle and avoid the traffic.
Stoke Travel on 13:02 - Feb 11 with 2309 viewsBoston

Stoke Travel on 10:58 - Feb 11 by stowmarketrange

Google maps says that it’s 1.9 miles from the stadium to the station and a 44 minute walk,so looking at the game finishing about 9.45 you’ll have no chance of making the 22.09 train.only 8 mins in a car though,assuming you don’t get stuck in traffic.You could always stay until the final whistle and avoid the traffic.

...bring a tent.

Stoke Travel on 13:10 - Feb 11 with 2293 viewsNorthernr

Very little chance without a significantly early departure from the game and striking it lucky with a cab.

See you in the bar at Lenny Henry's.
Login to get fewer ads

Stoke Travel on 13:34 - Feb 11 with 2240 viewsHooping_Mad

If you can buy the tickets

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Stoke Travel on 14:11 - Feb 11 with 2141 viewslightwaterhoop

Whats it to be then a trip up to Stoke on Wednesday or take the Mrs out for Valentines Day?
Tough call.
Stoke Travel on 14:12 - Feb 11 with 2134 viewsOldPedro

Stoke Travel on 14:11 - Feb 11 by lightwaterhoop

Whats it to be then a trip up to Stoke on Wednesday or take the Mrs out for Valentines Day?
Tough call.

Take the Mrs to Stoke.........

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Stoke Travel on 14:51 - Feb 11 with 2043 viewsQPRSteve

I can't see why clubs don't bring game times forward in these circumstances. They must know the trouble that shoddy BR causes away fans.
Stoke Travel on 15:03 - Feb 11 with 2014 viewsstowmarketrange

Stoke Travel on 14:51 - Feb 11 by QPRSteve

I can't see why clubs don't bring game times forward in these circumstances. They must know the trouble that shoddy BR causes away fans.

I think Stoke would worry more about the Stoke fans who couldn’t make a 7.30 ko rather than the few hundred qpr fans who can’t get home after a 7.45 one.As we would in the same situation.
Stoke Travel on 16:13 - Feb 11 with 1882 viewsNorthernr

Stoke Travel on 14:51 - Feb 11 by QPRSteve

Or why, in 2023, just about every major city in this country, bar London, has a rail service that stops completely at 10pm.
Stoke Travel on 16:13 - Feb 11 with 1878 viewsNorthernr

Stoke Travel on 16:13 - Feb 11 by Northernr

Or why, in 2023, just about every major city in this country, bar London, has a rail service that stops completely at 10pm.

2024 even.
Stoke Travel on 17:40 - Feb 11 with 1712 viewsWatford_Ranger

Stoke Travel on 15:03 - Feb 11 by stowmarketrange

I think Stoke would worry more about the Stoke fans who couldn’t make a 7.30 ko rather than the few hundred qpr fans who can’t get home after a 7.45 one.As we would in the same situation.

Presumably they’d also have fans relying on that train. Can’t be many who can’t do 7:30 but can do 7:45.

There’s probably a good reason why 7:45 is traditional just as the 3pm allowed those doing half a day on a Saturday to get there but with our rail network, parents not wanting kids to be up too late etc. it would be more logical if night matches started earlier and probably see higher attendances. Away fans travelling far would be taking time off anyway and would get back earlier.
Stoke Travel on 17:47 - Feb 11 with 1671 viewsstowmarketrange

Stoke Travel on 17:40 - Feb 11 by Watford_Ranger

Presumably they’d also have fans relying on that train. Can’t be many who can’t do 7:30 but can do 7:45.

There’s probably a good reason why 7:45 is traditional just as the 3pm allowed those doing half a day on a Saturday to get there but with our rail network, parents not wanting kids to be up too late etc. it would be more logical if night matches started earlier and probably see higher attendances. Away fans travelling far would be taking time off anyway and would get back earlier.

It used to be traditional to ko at 7.30pm,but I can’t remember when it became the norm to have 7.45 ko’s.Games always used to finish about 9.10ish back in the olden days.
Stoke Travel on 23:12 - Feb 11 with 1391 viewsdaveB

No chance of getting back for that train, they usually run a bus back to the station on a Saturday but not sure about midweek

I've booked into Lenny Henrys as hotel by the stadium seems to be fully booked on the night
Stoke Travel on 23:29 - Feb 11 with 1352 viewsNorthernr

Stoke Travel on 23:12 - Feb 11 by daveB

No chance of getting back for that train, they usually run a bus back to the station on a Saturday but not sure about midweek

I've booked into Lenny Henrys as hotel by the stadium seems to be fully booked on the night

Stoke Travel on 23:39 - Feb 11 with 1317 viewscolinallcars

Stoke Travel on 17:40 - Feb 11 by Watford_Ranger

Yup, Saturday would be 3pm or 3.15 - plenty of time for me to get from my abode in Rowton House Hammersmith ( look it up ). Evenings 7.30, so out of the ground 9.10. Not much stoppage time then, so belly-up to the bar in a Hammersmith pub by 9. 25 or so.
Stoke Travel on 09:58 - Feb 12 with 1123 viewsterryb

Stoke Travel on 23:39 - Feb 11 by colinallcars

Yup, Saturday would be 3pm or 3.15 - plenty of time for me to get from my abode in Rowton House Hammersmith ( look it up ). Evenings 7.30, so out of the ground 9.10. Not much stoppage time then, so belly-up to the bar in a Hammersmith pub by 9. 25 or so.

Queens Park Rangers were the only club in the Football league that kicked off at 3.15, I think this was changed to 3.00 when we escaped the third division in1967.

Why 3.15? Was it anything to do with the local closing times for pubs being at 3.00? These times varied at every licensing authority area, with some closing at 2.00, some at 2.30 & some at 3.00!
Stoke Travel on 10:53 - Feb 12 with 1042 viewskernowhoop

I think that I am right in saying that Saturday kick-offs used to be at 2.00pm - after Saturday morning work (and before floodlights).
Stoke Travel on 11:42 - Feb 12 with 955 viewscyprusmel

I am sure that in the late 50s early 60s we used to kick off at 7-15
Stoke Travel on 12:47 - Feb 12 with 885 viewsTheChef

Stoke Travel on 11:42 - Feb 12 by cyprusmel

I am sure that in the late 50s early 60s we used to kick off at 7-15

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024