Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marathon Walk 21:20 - Feb 19 with 4236 viewsLoftusR

Clive feel free to remove

Dear Loft for Worders

I would like to let you all know that I am doing a marathon distance 42 km charity walk on the 18th May in aid of Pancreatic Cancer UK. The walk should take 10 – 12 hours.

I have been inspired to take this on through my friend Mark (LfW poster Kingshill) but also for my own personal reasons. A link to the just giving page is below. It would wonderful if you could donate a few pounds:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/mark-sellick-1705515029382?newPage=true

But before you do that please read on for a little bit of background:

Mark’s story:

Mark and Joyce were married for 30 years, they have two children aged 24 & 26, Joyce was 54 last birthday. Five months ago Joyce died of Pancreatic Cancer having under gone two rounds of chemo and two remissions.

My Story:

Irene and Bert (my mum and dad obvs!!) were married for 26 years, they had three children, just after her 48 birthday Irene was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She died 10 months later. That was 1984. There was no treatment for Pancreatic cancer at that time. I was 17. Forty years later this still pains me.

It’s unacceptable that more than half of people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer die within 3 months. Survival rates have improved enormously for most cancers, yet for pancreatic cancer, this is not the case.
Pancreatic Cancer UK is dedicated to taking on this injustice using every possible means. They're supporting people with pancreatic cancer now, campaigning, and funding vital research to transform the future. Help them to make the breakthroughs that people with pancreatic cancer so desperately need.

Please help me and Mark help other families like ours.

Here the link again:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/mark-sellick-1705515029382?newPage=true

If you are able to spare a few pounds please do leave your user name and reference Tony or Mark as there are several of us doing the walk and we are using the same just giving page and I would like to thank you individually.

Finally, just to make the 42km a little more challenging some of you will know that I have had a foot injury for the last few years that has left me with constant pain. Therefore, I have thought very hard whether I will be able to do this. But WTF, I can always hop.
Marathon Walk on 23:58 - Feb 19 with 3415 viewselnombre

Lost Elnombre minor (my little brother) to this awful scourge - more than happy to cough up a pound or two and wish you the best of luck.
Marathon Walk on 04:42 - Feb 20 with 3325 viewsMalintabuk

Done and the very best of luck.
Marathon Walk on 07:32 - Feb 20 with 3239 viewskingshill

Thank you both, it's hugely appreciated
Marathon Walk on 07:37 - Feb 20 with 3228 viewsLoftusR

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your support.
Marathon Walk on 07:53 - Feb 20 with 3207 viewsBSERs

Good luck on your walk. Small donation made, sorry not more.
Marathon Walk on 09:19 - Feb 20 with 3106 viewskingshill

Marathon Walk on 07:53 - Feb 20 by BSERs

Thank you, there's no such thing as a small donation, every penny will help someone somewhere.
Marathon Walk on 09:21 - Feb 20 with 3103 viewsLoftusR

Marathon Walk on 07:53 - Feb 20 by BSERs

Thanks BSERs. Every penny counts and thank you for your kind donation.
Marathon Walk on 10:17 - Feb 20 with 3053 viewslightwaterhoop

Happy to chip in.Good luck guys.
Login to get fewer ads

Marathon Walk on 12:21 - Feb 20 with 2918 viewsLoftusR

Marathon Walk on 10:17 - Feb 20 by lightwaterhoop

Happy to chip in.Good luck guys.

Thanks for your donation
Marathon Walk on 12:57 - Feb 20 with 2883 viewsSnipper

Done. Great cause mate. 👍
Marathon Walk on 13:58 - Feb 20 with 2809 viewsCFW

Happy to make a contribution.

I did the Shine walk a few years ago to raise money for cancer research after my sister passed away with kidney cancer. Have to say great atmosphere and support from other walkers.

Can I please give you a few of tips:
Make sure you get some miles in before you do the walk.
Walking a marathon is almost more difficult than running as you will be on your feet for so much longer (took us close on 9.5 hours).
Please ensure you wear decent walking trainers that you have used to do the miles prior to the walk.
Wear decent walking socks, smother your feet with vaseline before putting on your socks and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES take off your footwear before you have completed the walk.

I wish you the best of luck.
Marathon Walk on 14:11 - Feb 20 with 2790 viewsLoftusR

Thank you Hubble, Snipper and CFW for your donations. The QPR fam (as my kids would say) are really outstanding.

CFW - thanks for your advice. I will certainly be following your tips. A new pair of trail shoes have been purchased this week especially. Now to start the training.
Marathon Walk on 16:41 - Feb 20 with 2680 viewsstowmarketrange

Marathon Walk on 13:58 - Feb 20 by CFW

Happy to make a contribution.

I did the Shine walk a few years ago to raise money for cancer research after my sister passed away with kidney cancer. Have to say great atmosphere and support from other walkers.

Can I please give you a few of tips:
Make sure you get some miles in before you do the walk.
Walking a marathon is almost more difficult than running as you will be on your feet for so much longer (took us close on 9.5 hours).
Please ensure you wear decent walking trainers that you have used to do the miles prior to the walk.
Wear decent walking socks, smother your feet with vaseline before putting on your socks and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES take off your footwear before you have completed the walk.

I wish you the best of luck.

I’ve completed 3 or 4 marathon walks and I always take a spare pair of walking socks with me and change them around 1/2 way.Its nice to rest your feet for a few minutes and then put fresh socks on for the remainder of the walk.But they have to be proper walking socks rather than just ordinary ones.
Good luck with your walk,and I hope you raise loads mate.
Marathon Walk on 19:52 - Feb 20 with 2568 viewsLblock

Done.

Your post was very poignant.
Lost my Father In Law nearly 10 years ago now to this and we never could get our head around with this particular strain of that c*ntof a disease was almost impossible to treat.
I doff my cap to you.

All the best

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Marathon Walk on 20:42 - Feb 20 with 2542 viewsLoftusR

Marathon Walk on 19:52 - Feb 20 by Lblock

Done.

Your post was very poignant.
Lost my Father In Law nearly 10 years ago now to this and we never could get our head around with this particular strain of that c*ntof a disease was almost impossible to treat.
I doff my cap to you.

All the best

Thanks LBlock, Seanie, A Fellow Hoop, Garry, QPR Fan, JM QPR for your donations. I am amazed how generous you have all.been towards a couple of relative strangers. COYR's.
Marathon Walk on 22:31 - Feb 20 with 2456 viewsFaurlinho

Terrific cause, well done. Have chipped in.
Marathon Walk on 22:35 - Feb 20 with 2455 viewsLblock

Marathon Walk on 20:42 - Feb 20 by LoftusR

Thanks LBlock, Seanie, A Fellow Hoop, Garry, QPR Fan, JM QPR for your donations. I am amazed how generous you have all.been towards a couple of relative strangers. COYR's.

Most of my relatives are strangers

The rest of them just strange

As ever, wish I could’ve given more

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Marathon Walk on 08:32 - Feb 21 with 2321 viewsLoftusR

Thank you Brian, Chris HM and Faulino for your support. Brian I will look the book up!!
Marathon Walk on 09:18 - Feb 21 with 2291 viewskingshill

Marathon Walk on 08:32 - Feb 21 by LoftusR

Thank you Brian, Chris HM and Faulino for your support. Brian I will look the book up!!

I just want to echo Tony's thanks to everyone for donating and also for the advice on what to do on the day.
I did the moonwalk through London back in 2010 which seems a lifetime ago so will be well stocked up on cushioned socks, energy gels and deep heat!
Marathon Walk on 22:02 - Feb 21 with 2077 viewsLoftusR

Konk, Bazza, Friedman, DW thanks for you donations. There are also a couple of anonymous donations so if that is you, thanks as well.
Marathon Walk on 09:09 - Feb 22 with 1954 viewswombat

Marathon Walk on 22:02 - Feb 21 by LoftusR

Konk, Bazza, Friedman, DW thanks for you donations. There are also a couple of anonymous donations so if that is you, thanks as well.

good luck have just stuck a small amount in

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Marathon Walk on 09:18 - Feb 22 with 1951 viewsenfieldargh

Done

Sorry it wasnt more but excellent and worthy cause.

I was once told no pain no gain, not sure I ever bought into that saying

Good luck with your hobble

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Marathon Walk on 10:50 - Feb 22 with 1924 viewshamptonhillhoop

Done.
Lost my mum to this in 2001 at the age of 55. She lasted ten weeks after diagnosis. It doesn't seem to have improved much since. Good luck. Try running it, it'll go quicker!
Marathon Walk on 13:09 - Feb 22 with 1867 viewsLoftusR

Marathon Walk on 09:18 - Feb 22 by enfieldargh

Done

Sorry it wasnt more but excellent and worthy cause.

I was once told no pain no gain, not sure I ever bought into that saying

Good luck with your hobble

Thanks for you donation. I must say there will be pain, there will be gain and it will most definitely be a hobble.
Marathon Walk on 13:53 - Feb 22 with 1837 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Dropped something.

Walking it will be every bit as challenging as running. I saw someone advised to Vaseline absolutely everything that moves. I'd merely add: Vaseline everything that doesn't... because it will move!!

All about getting your pacing right because it... Prevents A Calamatous Ending!!

Good luck and enjoy it too!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024