Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan Bowles 10:21 - Feb 23 with 31080 viewsBakes

Rest In Peace
[Post edited 24 Feb 21:36]

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Stan Bowles on 09:56 - Feb 27 with 2446 viewsNorthernr

Stan Bowles on 09:53 - Feb 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Beat me to it.

Lovely writing by Chris. He's been a great addition to the club.

Chris is a brilliant fella.
Stan Bowles on 10:00 - Feb 27 with 2420 viewsrobith

I am obviously far too young to have seen Stan play.

But once, watching a game with my late father, I was somewhat ironically bemoaning a bloke who sat near us who moaned from the first whistle to the last, every single week. It was really starting to get me down, just constantly being bombarded with gripes.

Dad replied to me "Rob, I had a season ticket in 75/76, our greatest ever team yeah? And who was our greatest player in our greatest team?"

"Stan Bowles"

"Exactly. Now, for whatever reason the guy who stood behind me called Stan, our greatest ever player, a c++t, non stop for 90 minutes, as we almost won the league. Why? To this day I do not know. But I learnt to tune it out and focus on what I did enjoy, cos football is wasted on football fans".

I considered these profound words as he followed up "And if I could bite my lip for Stan Bloody Bowles, you can do it for Matty f@@@ing Phillips"
Stan Bowles on 11:42 - Feb 27 with 2328 viewsTheChef

So sad to say goodbye to the best player the club has ever had, and the inspiration for the supporters' team Accrington Stanley Bowles.

RIP Stan.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Stan Bowles on 16:15 - Feb 27 with 2203 viewsHantsR

Some fabulolus words written by fans of our club and others' plus the media as tributes to Stan. I really don't know how to add anything except that Stan was so much of my QPR-supporting life that I feel that a part of my own life has now gone.

I will always remember the buzz around South Africa Road terraces when we bought Stan "he's better than Rodney you know!" was the general theme for our record signing, so it was quite exciting, especially as he looked the part and he'd been labelled a 'bad boy' by the papers. What were we to expect?

I'd been brought up on and idolised Rod-Nee whom I thought would be impossible to replace, but it was quite noticable that QPR played much more as a team after Marsh's departure. I'd already had a glimpse of Stan when we played Crewe (I've still got the programme) but he had a very promising debut for us, making one goal and scoring another - with his head! I never bought the lazy tag that some ascribed to his play because I could see him extremely active creating attacking moves, providing assists as well as scoring some memorable goals.

He was usually closely and heavily marked, on the end of some vicious tackling at times although he was skilled at evading many of the cloggers and taking the mickey. I'm trying to remember the name of a Chelsea thug (Mickey Droy?) who took him out with a waist-high tackle, that went unpunished! I mnentioned on another thread that he sold such a dummy to Arsenal's Bob McNab, that the defender fell over backwards without any contact. That ability to drop a shoulder, switch play and accelerate over 10 yards was mesmerising for many an opponent.

He was a player for whom your pulse started racing when he got the ball as you knew that something exciting could happen, a beautiful left foot passer of the ball - Joe Mercer said of him, " He could thread a needle with his left foot!" - pity about the very few England Caps that such skills won him.

Many wonderful memories, but the one that always springs to mind was at the Baseball Ground in August 1975 when I stood, accompanied by the future Mrs Hants and surrounded by Derby fans expecting their League Champions to do a little better than to lose 5-1 to these upstarts from West London! Hat-trick by Stan caused me to whoop a little! Got some serious glares from those around me - I would have been moved or ejected from the ground these days.

I saw him in 2015 when he came on the pitch at half-time and got drenched by the sprinklers! Not long after that, I found myself face to face with him outside the ground in SAR, but didn't recognise him at first. Very difficult to realise that this was my favourite player ever, the man with long hair and sideburns who had once been an iconic member of the best-ever QPR team that played fabulous football

He had many well-documented weaknesses in life that I find a little sad to read, but I like to remember him for those halcyon days in the hooped shirt and giving us all so much pleasure.

RIP Stan
Stan Bowles on 21:29 - Feb 27 with 2032 viewszicoshoops

So many wonderful memories of Stan.
Had many conversations with him, and what you saw was what you got.
My favourite was in 2001, when we needed at least a draw against Greece to get to the World Cup.
I was in the Albany Pub, a crowd of us watching the match, including Stan.
It was a shitehole of a Pub (closed down after a fella got stabbed to death in there) but with a good big screen.

The ‘Gents’ was just to the left of the big screen.
Stan went into the Gents, and we scored.
He came out and everyone was screaming.
The match continued, and everyone was getting edgy.
Right at the end, Stan went into the Gents again.
And then we got a free kick….
Beckham stepped up, and we all know what happened next.
The Pub went up in the air…….
The door to the Gents opened, and Stan stood there with a look of disbelief on his face.
The whole Pub started singing and pointing at him……
‘Back in the Loo
Back in the Loo
Back in the Loooooo’

Stan kept shouting, ‘F**k me, no, really?’
A great day, I don’t think anyone left the Pub sober.
Also, as I recall, Stan never bought a drink.
But then again, he was Stan, he never needed to buy a drink.

Rest in Peace Stan.
Sleep easy.
Stan Bowles on 03:28 - Feb 28 with 1882 viewsmylot50years

Thanks for all the memories Stan you were a true genius.
We had some great players at QPR in the 70s and Stan I think they would all agree you were something very special.
It didn't matter if we were playing at home or away you shone out and would end up being applauded by all that had the privilege to have witnessed a true genius at work.
My condolences to all the family.
R.I.P Stan
Stan Bowles on 08:01 - Feb 28 with 1841 viewswestberksr

Have been dwelling on this news as Stan passed on my birthday, so I'll never forget the date.

he was the very heartbeat of what made this club so special and created the bond for all of us. I was explaining to a friend from NI on Sunday the impact he had on the game and us and the simplest description I could give was that he was an English George Best; in every respect.

sleep well Stan and may you rest in eternal peace with a winning betting slip forever in your hand.
Stan Bowles on 23:01 - Feb 29 with 1674 viewsjoe90

Nice tribute from Mundial:

https://mundial-the-hat-trick.beehiiv.com/p/stories-stan-bowles?utm_source=mundi
Login to get fewer ads

Stan Bowles on 23:24 - Mar 8 with 1459 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Utterly beautiful.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stan Bowles -Ascend to the Gods on 16:16 - Mar 21 with 918 viewsScarecrow

Legend fits. A Entertainer, man of the people and humbled that I was lucky enough to witness first hand your great years with us. Truly a R. You were special and made QPR special.
Daphne said you were the best she'd ever seen, in a qpr shirt. Updated my avatar showing you via Leeds in 74, against Gordon Mc Queen.

Your legacy shines on Stan. God bless you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024