Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report 17:57 - Apr 14 with 7790 viewsNorthernr

Big thanks (and sympathies) to Alex for filling in for me this week...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62332
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:49 - Apr 14 with 4198 viewsdaveB

From the minute they scored it felt like game over, no lack of effort from the majority of them but Hull were just a lot better than us

Game may have been different if Smyth takes that early chance at 2-0 but overall we were well beaten
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 18:59 - Apr 14 with 4149 viewsterryb

Thank you Alex.

I watched the game on a stream & sent messages during the first half saying that Hull were playing the best football I've seen against us this season. I also sugested that prior to half time we should bring on Colback or Hodge for one of Andersen, Chair or Willock. I didn't care which one went off, but on reflection, Andersen was the correct decision, even if it should have been earlier.

Paul Smyth is a conundrum! He is by far the most likely of our players to arrive in a threatening positon, but he has probably had more chances this season than any other & seldom looks like scoring! I suspect though that had he made it 2-1 just after half time, Hull would have continued their first half dominance, rather than taking a foot off the pedal.

Four he has missed in the last two games, not forgetting his miss at Ipswich. Mind you, he is far from alone with this problem!

Strangely enough, I didn't feel deflated by our performance or the result. I've seen a lot worse over many years & particulary in the past 18 months!
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 19:09 - Apr 14 with 4105 viewsngbqpr

Pretty much exactly how I saw it Alex. My half time messages to mates not attending more or less said "we're losing to a better team with a great forward line"...and full time touched on Smyth's missed chances, the fact that we didn't give up but they stayed in second gear, and thank goodness for Nakhi Wells (seeing those other results coming through knowing as early as 30 minutes in we were well beaten was excruciating).

Bit surprised with your ultra low marks - given you've acknowledged we didn't cave in / give up. Several 5s for me. Agree re Andersen tho, had to be replaced.

Best / most interested Willock's looked for a while. Decent cameo from Cannon, can see him retaining his place for the run in as Marti goes a bit more orthodox.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 19:24 - Apr 14 with 4047 viewsPaddyhoops

Can’t wait for the second week in may when we don’t have to worry about Birminghams goal difference or who Sheffield Wednesday are up against next .
The set of players we have aren’t great but they are capable of keeping us up .
Walking away from Vigarage road all those months ago, I would have bitten your hand off to be in this position.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 19:36 - Apr 14 with 3989 viewsPhilmyRs

Good report. Funny how we see games but I felt a 4 for Willock was extremely harsh - while not vintage Willock, the commitment and effort level were there and for a player that supposedly sacked it off months ago that was good to see. He was fouled regularly and I thought he was our most likely option to get back in the game. Andersen is becoming a problem for me - such a promising start, now looking like a kid on trial. Smyth, despite the lack of composure in front of goal, would start ahead of him for me. Biggest problems remain both ends of the pitch - a quality keeper and striker and we’d look a very different team.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 19:59 - Apr 14 with 3897 viewsFDC

Fantastic report, and -- horrorshow of a game notwithstanding -- a very enjoyable read, cheers.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 20:08 - Apr 14 with 3855 viewsqprxtc

“Lyndon Dykes, all the decision making abilities of someone who thinks you heat milk in a kettle.”

I think you’ll find that you can. I always knew Lyndon was a clever git. 🤔
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 20:47 - Apr 14 with 3706 viewscolinallcars

Thank you, Alex. Good report.
Login to get fewer ads

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 20:59 - Apr 14 with 3670 viewsMancR

Nice one Alex, thanks for taking me back to Hull again. Accurate and interesting read but as others have said, your marks are very stingy. Hull were just on another level to us and deservedly won. But no one downed tools and i didn't think anyone let us down. Begovic didn't have a prayer with the goals and did make a couple of saves/ blocks, so no way can he be a 3.
Compare that performance with away at stoke or Huddersfield, as well all that early season nonsense and I think everyone would agree we weren't a disaster. Talking to a couple of hull fans, they thought that was their best performance at home this season.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:02 - Apr 14 with 3650 viewsParkRoyalR

Abroad so didn't get to game but friend messaged to say Chairs attitude 2nd Half was abysmal (never seen that before myself) so I was much relieved to see Loft for Words group-think is very much alive as Alex becomes the 3rd match reviewer to give Jimmy Dunne a 3 this season.

Frey scored a 5 against Birmingham (for being involved in one move) a performance politely complimented as ineffective, whereas Dykes gets 3 verses of narrative and a 2 (even Austin got a 5 or 6 the day our fans nearly started fighting each other in the side stand at Peterborough arguing over how abject he was)

I posted after Plymouth game cutting inside Dunne with Cook holding a position too deep was a weak-point in our defence that Paul Smyth did well to negate until withdrawn and the the Plymouth Left Back nearly exploited by cutting inside Dunne and shooting over late on.

If I could see this, why, against arguably the two best left sided attackers in the league could Cifuentes not see this risk? Playing Willock in front left Dunne exposed to this against the best player in the league, early goal down and we're struggling.

Cifuentes should have started same team as at Plymouth and got to Half-Time at 0-0 and then risked all 3 of Willock / Andersen / Chair as the opposition tired.

Still let's play to our audience and blame Lyndon + Jimmy heh.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:20 - Apr 14 with 3559 viewsgazza1

Hull were a very decent team indeed, played some 'proper' decent football, got some very good players and deserved their win.

Not sure the marks given to 'our boys' are fair tbh, though Dunne & LD were not good nor Anderson, the other back 3 although let in 3 were not too bad, Chair & Willock were OK - very harsh on them!!!, Smyth missed a couple a very presentable chances which may have put some pressure on Hull. The 2 subs that did ok as well were Cannon & Colback who did not even get a mention in the report.

Simples really, Hull were too good for us when we do not score goals/do better with opportunities. Hull played some very decent football and were too quick and accurate for our team. Well done Hull, sometimes you need to recognise when a team is better.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:38 - Apr 14 with 3481 viewsVancouverHoop

Paul Smyth is a conundrum! He is by far the most likely of our players to arrive in a threatening positon, but he has probably had more chances this season than any other & seldom looks like scoring!

He's always been like that though. His feet move faster than his brain. Sure he was better with Orient two divisions down, but that's because the opposition gave him more opportunity. Defenders cover far more astutely and much quicker at this level.

I've always been a fan of his and was sorry when he left. But he's not a kid anymore, and I wonder if he's ever going to be able to find the finish that would make him really dangerous to defend against.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 22:52 - Apr 14 with 3280 viewsMonkey_Roots

Thanks for a fine report Alex.

I’m very worried, we just seem to lack the fight that other teams around us seem to have.

Dykes is a total fúcking baboon, and Begovic is his brightly coloured arśe.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 03:32 - Apr 15 with 3017 viewsSydneyRs

Sometimes the other team is just too good. Hopefully next week that isn't the case and they turn up with flip flops and beach balls.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 07:18 - Apr 15 with 2869 viewsNorthernr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:02 - Apr 14 by ParkRoyalR

Abroad so didn't get to game but friend messaged to say Chairs attitude 2nd Half was abysmal (never seen that before myself) so I was much relieved to see Loft for Words group-think is very much alive as Alex becomes the 3rd match reviewer to give Jimmy Dunne a 3 this season.

Frey scored a 5 against Birmingham (for being involved in one move) a performance politely complimented as ineffective, whereas Dykes gets 3 verses of narrative and a 2 (even Austin got a 5 or 6 the day our fans nearly started fighting each other in the side stand at Peterborough arguing over how abject he was)

I posted after Plymouth game cutting inside Dunne with Cook holding a position too deep was a weak-point in our defence that Paul Smyth did well to negate until withdrawn and the the Plymouth Left Back nearly exploited by cutting inside Dunne and shooting over late on.

If I could see this, why, against arguably the two best left sided attackers in the league could Cifuentes not see this risk? Playing Willock in front left Dunne exposed to this against the best player in the league, early goal down and we're struggling.

Cifuentes should have started same team as at Plymouth and got to Half-Time at 0-0 and then risked all 3 of Willock / Andersen / Chair as the opposition tired.

Or, just a thought, maybe you're wrong?
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:11 - Apr 15 with 2723 viewsRed_Ranger

Supersub Alex. Very well written and entertaining. Thanks
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:37 - Apr 15 with 2635 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lovely writing, Alex. Really enjoyed that.

Thanks for the report.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:45 - Apr 15 with 2601 viewsMonkey_Roots

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:02 - Apr 14 by ParkRoyalR

Brian called you out on your groupthink comment last week, and you conceded the point, so why are you reverting back?

Just because people’s opinions differ from yours, it doesn’t mean that they are sheep, blindly flocking to the opinion of another. Perhaps the reason that so many fans share the same opinion is because it’s playing out exactly that way in front of their eyes?

I don’t share the Jimmy Dunne viewpoint, but I do think Dykes is utter crap, and that Begovic is not far behind. I thought the scores were all a bit harsh - I took the view that Hull were just on their very best day on Saturday.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:49 - Apr 15 with 2568 viewsNorthernr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:45 - Apr 15 by Monkey_Roots

Brian called you out on your groupthink comment last week, and you conceded the point, so why are you reverting back?

Just because people’s opinions differ from yours, it doesn’t mean that they are sheep, blindly flocking to the opinion of another. Perhaps the reason that so many fans share the same opinion is because it’s playing out exactly that way in front of their eyes?

I don’t share the Jimmy Dunne viewpoint, but I do think Dykes is utter crap, and that Begovic is not far behind. I thought the scores were all a bit harsh - I took the view that Hull were just on their very best day on Saturday.

Because it was pointed out after repeated reference that I didn't write the bloody Millwall away match report, so we've had to pivot to a groupthink conspiracy that I only agree to employ match reporters as long as they agree to give Dykes a 2 instead of a 4 and continue my personal vendetta against Jimmy Dunne (who's just about my favourite member of the current squad).
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:50 - Apr 15 with 2565 viewsRsinWales

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:45 - Apr 15 by Monkey_Roots

Excellent report! Many thanks.

We really are blessed with two great report writers on this site. The quality is way beyond anything I can read anywhere else.

Can only hope that the confidence of the team was not blown away by the gulf in performance between us and Hull. If they felt it like Alex saw it, there could be a lot of damage done...
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 09:03 - Apr 15 with 2523 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Big fan of low ratings in games where we're crap.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 09:04 - Apr 15 with 2526 viewsTheChef

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 19:36 - Apr 14 by PhilmyRs

Good report. Funny how we see games but I felt a 4 for Willock was extremely harsh - while not vintage Willock, the commitment and effort level were there and for a player that supposedly sacked it off months ago that was good to see. He was fouled regularly and I thought he was our most likely option to get back in the game. Andersen is becoming a problem for me - such a promising start, now looking like a kid on trial. Smyth, despite the lack of composure in front of goal, would start ahead of him for me. Biggest problems remain both ends of the pitch - a quality keeper and striker and we’d look a very different team.

Hull just too good for us unfortunately - but not difficult when they've spent £5 million on Philogene and have loanees from Liverpool and Man City.

Likewise I thought Willock did well, second half in particular. Chair however was his usual frustrating self with the ball, holding on for too long. Agreed that the players kept trying but we could still be there now and not score (and that above all else has been the main issue this season).

Whatever game plan we had went up in smoke with that early goal. Thought Marti got it wrong though not starting Smyth who would have given Hull something to think about with his pace. We all know his finishing isn't up to scratch, but he does tend to make things happen.

Nuff said about Dykes - he just doesn't have the anticipation or instinct of a natural striker. Armstrong or Frey (if he's fit) for Preston please.

Not much Begovic could do with the first or third goals but didn't think he had to rush out for their second. He just helped make up the mind of the Hull player to get the shot away. Still, he also made a couple of decent saves.

Highlight of the afternoon was Hull bringing out their 'you're getting mauled by the Tigers" chant Nice how QPR provide these opportunities for us.

Three games left...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 09:15 - Apr 15 with 2459 viewsTheChef

And thank you Alex for a great report.

Re the comment about Chair downing tools - I didn't see that. He did try, he just wasn't effective when he had the ball!

Hayden and Andersen have gone off the boil for me, for Preston I'd start Colback and Smyth, play Chair centrally closer to Willock.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 09:59 - Apr 15 with 2332 viewsderbyhoop

Sometimes you just have to give the opposition credit. They were far better than us and, to some extent, 3-0 flattered us.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 10:15 - Apr 15 with 2280 viewsterryb

I'm in the minority & much prefer Dykes to play rather than Frey or Armstrong! However, all three are so far below the standard that is required that it is an irrelevance as to who plays that role!

I don't think that Dykes or Dunne were the problem on Saturday though. The problem was that Hayden & Field were outnumbered in the midfield & Hull passed the ball through the gaps to feet. Three attacking players behind Dykes was a luxury that we couldn't afford.

I suspect that we are only playing the supporting three as our manager realises that we don't have a "centre" forward that will score or create chances for others!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024