Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell old friend 22:19 - Jul 22 with 4015 viewsBlackCrowe

Had our 15 year old labradoodle put to sleep today. Flipping heck, that's been as bad a day as i've had for a while. Takes a bit to make this old boy shed a tear, but they've been flowing. c.16,500 walks we've taken her on we crudely calculated. The home suddenly feels like a house.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Farewell old friend on 13:37 - Jul 23 with 1127 viewsPunteR

Sorry to hear this mate.
I love my dogs. The moment I walk in the door from work after a crap day, the joy and happiness they bring is priceless. I'd hate to lose them.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Farewell old friend on 14:24 - Jul 23 with 1070 viewsCamberleyR

Farewell old friend on 13:10 - Jul 23 by qprninja

We lost our Jack Russell about 5 years ago in quite sudden and traumatic circumstances, it still cuts me up to this day. The only way we could fill the gap was get another dog......then another........then another. So we now have three of the little buggers. Can't live without them. Take your time, hope you're ok.

When it's quite sudden and unexpected it's much worse I think. We lost one of ours quite suddenly last year a Jack Russell/Chihuahua/Pug (we were never quite sure as we got her as a pup from one of Mrs Camberley's old school friends who was selling her on FB) who was the mum of our youngest dog, she was just coming up to ten.

She developed heart failure and we knew the symptoms as one of our other dogs had succumbed to it about 18 months previously (a classic one is them coughing and gagging a lot as if they're trying to bring something up).

Within about four or five weeks of developing symptoms of heart failure despite being on medication she went downhill so quickly that one morning after coming downstairs and finding what she was like, I said to Mrs C that we needed to take her to the vets and sadly I didn't think we'd be bringing her home with us. That day was absolutely horrendous and it was Mrs C's birthday the next day as well.

Our youngest dog who had had other dogs around her all her life was now on her own and she found it really hard. The house seemed a bit empty so we ummed and ahhed for a while and in the end we got a Lab/GSD puppy four months later who turned one a few weeks ago. She snarls and snaps at him occasionally when he gets a bit too boisterous but she wouldn't be without him now.
[Post edited 23 Jul 15:06]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Farewell old friend on 14:51 - Jul 23 with 1040 viewsthehat

Sorry to hear that mate 15 years is a great innings and testament to how much she was loved and looked after. I never wanted a Dog but came home from work one night eight years ago to find the wife and kids had got a dog from a charity.

She is now without doubt my best friend - pure and utter unconditional love.

I hate to think how I will be come that day.

Stay strong pal and maybe think of getting another dog in time.
Farewell old friend on 09:28 - Jul 24 with 875 viewsw7r

Sorry to read about your furry buddy BC. Little consolation I'm know, but 15 is a good age for a dog of that size, It absolutely heartbreaking though, they occupy such a large part of your own life and are woven into all of your memories during your time together, cliche I know but they really are part of the family.

I remember packing up the car when my eldest daughter was off to university in 2013, our old boy Ted who was then 6 decided he didn't want her to go, anyway we had said our goodbyes only to find when getting into the car that Ted had other ideas and had climbed into the car via the drivers seat and plonked his 32kg frame in the front passenger seat in protest - a memory that I'll never forget along with all the other funny ones over the years. We lost him in 2020 at 13.5 yrs - still hurts even today.

It'll get easier, and those memories will become more precious, bloody dogs eh? Must be mad to have them.

Look after yourself fella.
[Post edited 24 Jul 9:29]
Farewell old friend on 10:12 - Jul 24 with 831 viewsSpaceman_P

Sorry to hear of your loss, in May we lost our Dog too, it really effected me also. Even now thinking about putting him to sleep and watching him go, is a feeling I doubt I will ever shake.

Absolutely devastating.

They're family basically mate, so I understand how you're feeling.
Farewell old friend on 10:55 - Jul 24 with 774 viewsChrisNW6

Need a bit of advice from this group

It's been 10months since our Welsh Springer passed and as a family we are ready for another dog. Me and the Mrs have discussed this at length and would like the same breed, but are looking at a male dogs this time.

My 23yr old daughter has got really upset that we are looking at the same breed and thinks we are trying to replace our beautiful Amber. We have explained no two dogs are the same and that's why we are looking at a male puppy.

I know she will come round to the idea, but I wanted her to be part of the process

Is she being melodramatic? Do we just go ahead 😁

[Post edited 24 Jul 10:59]
Farewell old friend on 11:36 - Jul 24 with 724 viewsDesertBoot

I feel for you Crowe and everyone else here who has gone through the same emotions.
Just over a year ago we let our 19yo JRT/Corgi cross go to her forever sleep after she fought CKD for six months but abdominal cancer was one hurdle she couldn't clear and at her age biopsies and chemo wasn't fair plus vets told us wouldn't work anyway.
In the Daily Mail today there's a feature on dogs sensing our emotions and pain - well let me tell you our dog Charlie literally saved my life.
For a while a few years back I was suddenly feeling lethargic with the occasional stabbing pain in my abdomen and Charlie was suddenly acting differently staring at me alot and not her usual playful self.
So I went to see my GP who sent me for a scan and it was stage 4 cancer! No symptoms apart from the what I mentioned and what I thought would pass.
So when others say "it's just or dog" or "will you get another one (so soon)" - they don't understand the bond.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Farewell old friend on 14:21 - Jul 25 with 581 viewsenfieldargh

We lost our 13 year skylar jack rusellxcavalier this morning

Had a heart murmur much of her life and on loads of heart medication and suffered from bad arthritis for the past 2 years.

That really hot day we had a week or so ago really did for her she was never the same from that day on even though she never went out in that dreadful heat.

That dog could have fielded for England such was her skill at catching a ball mid flight on the run.

We will all miss her knowing presence around the house

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

Farewell old friend on 14:59 - Jul 25 with 545 viewsLblock

Farewell old friend on 14:21 - Jul 25 by enfieldargh

Had a heart murmur much of her life and on loads of heart medication and suffered from bad arthritis for the past 2 years.

That really hot day we had a week or so ago really did for her she was never the same from that day on even though she never went out in that dreadful heat.

That dog could have fielded for England such was her skill at catching a ball mid flight on the run.

Sorry for your loss

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Farewell old friend on 15:43 - Jul 25 with 520 viewsPaddyhoops

You have my upmost sympathy. I’d have a dog before most human beings any day.
I’ve lost a few over the years. It’s heartbreaking.
Farewell old friend on 15:54 - Jul 25 with 514 viewswestberksr

Farewell old friend on 10:55 - Jul 24 by ChrisNW6

Need a bit of advice from this group

It's been 10months since our Welsh Springer passed and as a family we are ready for another dog. Me and the Mrs have discussed this at length and would like the same breed, but are looking at a male dogs this time.

My 23yr old daughter has got really upset that we are looking at the same breed and thinks we are trying to replace our beautiful Amber. We have explained no two dogs are the same and that's why we are looking at a male puppy.

I know she will come round to the idea, but I wanted her to be part of the process

Is she being melodramatic? Do we just go ahead 😁

[Post edited 24 Jul 10:59]

its a tricky dilemma but if you know and love a breed then its right to go again.

The only way i can explain it is that they are the successor, not replacement, for those that have gone before and it is a reflection on the love for the previous pup that you think another of that breed is best for you.

i'm on my 3rd weim over 25 years, the 2 previous hounds were both amazing dogs and this one will write his own story and, in his own way, be just as good....

at the moment he is a razor toothed bitey little tvvat, but doing a great job of helping with the healing.
Farewell old friend on 15:56 - Jul 25 with 512 viewswestberksr

Farewell old friend on 14:21 - Jul 25 by enfieldargh

sorry for your loss, RIP to your pup
Farewell old friend on 16:31 - Jul 25 with 469 viewsChrisNW6

Farewell old friend on 15:54 - Jul 25 by westberksr

its a tricky dilemma but if you know and love a breed then its right to go again.

The only way i can explain it is that they are the successor, not replacement, for those that have gone before and it is a reflection on the love for the previous pup that you think another of that breed is best for you.

i'm on my 3rd weim over 25 years, the 2 previous hounds were both amazing dogs and this one will write his own story and, in his own way, be just as good....

at the moment he is a razor toothed bitey little tvvat, but doing a great job of helping with the healing.

Thanks for the advice.

We are going ahead with the new male puppy and will be getting the new family addition mid Aug after summer holiday. Love the idea of succession and writing a new chapter.

Moody 23yr old was less moody today and seems to be coming round to the idea. We are going to keep it a secret from the youngest (14) and experience an out pouring of love when we pick up the new addition 😁
Farewell old friend on 18:53 - Jul 25 with 384 viewsbosh67

Sorry to hear this news. They are such a big part of our lives and of the family and the home. I know how devastating it feels and condolences.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Farewell old friend on 10:35 - Jul 26 with 276 viewsPaddyhoops

The problem is with our beautiful furry friends is they become teenagers and then they go and die on us .😞
Farewell old friend on 10:45 - Jul 26 with 271 viewsSuperhoops2808

Sorry for your loss.

Having any of our cats put to sleep in the past has reduced me to tears more than anything else in life.

Dogs and Cats really do make a house a home.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024