Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football 09:51 - Sep 22 with 6472 viewsNorthernr

Most of it complete bolox, shock.
Interesting article.

https://www.theguardian.com/fo
5
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 09:40 - Sep 23 with 1321 viewsrobith

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 16:52 - Sep 22 by NewcastleHoop

Research is all well and good, but people come to faulty conclusions all the time, and it's more often because the people collecting the data for the experts have no idea what they're doing, than because the experts are bad experts. Be ten times as sceptical of data as you are of science.


That's why the Scientific Method ends with publishing findings so they can be peer reviewed
3
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 11:40 - Sep 23 with 1151 viewsBeckenhamhoop

I did raise the issue of sleep monitoring by the club on here some months ago. In my unscientific, humble opinion sleep is one of the main factors in physical performance. I’m basing this entirely on the fact that after a bad nights sleep I am very much sub optimal and slightly grumpy After two nights bad sleep I can barely function and after three nights bad sleep (thankfully a very rare occurrence) I am like an extra from Dawn of the Dead.

I can’t help but think that to a degree, this army of coaches stood at the sidelines lecturing an oncoming substitute with an iPad about what he should be doing is also, largely, bollox and simply an exercise in justifying their own employment.
[Post edited 23 Sep 11:45]

Poll: Julian Stepháne…stick or twist

0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:04 - Sep 23 with 1104 viewskernowhoop

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 14:45 - Sep 22 by KensalT

That was an interesting read.

Who knew that footballers are gullible!?

Made me all nostalgic for nasal strips. Whatever happened to them



I wear one from time to time - at night - but never felt the need to do so when I played football.
1
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:43 - Sep 23 with 1044 viewsNorthernr

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 11:40 - Sep 23 by Beckenhamhoop

I did raise the issue of sleep monitoring by the club on here some months ago. In my unscientific, humble opinion sleep is one of the main factors in physical performance. I’m basing this entirely on the fact that after a bad nights sleep I am very much sub optimal and slightly grumpy After two nights bad sleep I can barely function and after three nights bad sleep (thankfully a very rare occurrence) I am like an extra from Dawn of the Dead.

I can’t help but think that to a degree, this army of coaches stood at the sidelines lecturing an oncoming substitute with an iPad about what he should be doing is also, largely, bollox and simply an exercise in justifying their own employment.
[Post edited 23 Sep 11:45]


Footballers and sleep have a tricky relationship anyway (and not just because of all the shagging). Travel, late night games, stress, caffein tablets, Red Bull/Monster etc etc. A quarter of professionals don't even manage six hours a night...

https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/a
3
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:34 - Sep 23 with 965 viewsnick_hammersmith

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:43 - Sep 23 by Northernr

Footballers and sleep have a tricky relationship anyway (and not just because of all the shagging). Travel, late night games, stress, caffein tablets, Red Bull/Monster etc etc. A quarter of professionals don't even manage six hours a night...

https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/a


Thatcher used to brag she only needed four hours sleep a night, QED
0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:45 - Sep 23 with 945 viewsSpaceman_P

Sometimes it feels they get too anal about stuff.

Look here is ball... ball goes in net.

I miss when they actually played harder now everyone is a hamstring away from retirement
0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:53 - Sep 23 with 914 viewsKensalT

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:43 - Sep 23 by Northernr

Footballers and sleep have a tricky relationship anyway (and not just because of all the shagging). Travel, late night games, stress, caffein tablets, Red Bull/Monster etc etc. A quarter of professionals don't even manage six hours a night...

https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/a


That's an interesting find.

However, I read it a bit differently than you - and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

It does say that 135 (22.5%) of male footballers in the survey experience less than six hours sleep.

But when you drill down it's mostly the retired footballers who are experiencing short sleep.

Of the 135 men experiencing short sleep, 14 are current players and 121 are retired.

Overall the average sleep for current male players is 7.93 hours. Which is a lot more than I get!

I've taken those numbers from this table:

https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/a

And if I'm reading it wrong then please tell me.
0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:56 - Sep 23 with 902 viewsKensalT

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:04 - Sep 23 by kernowhoop

I wear one from time to time - at night - but never felt the need to do so when I played football.


You'd need a roll of gaffer tape to stop my snoring!
0
Login to get fewer ads

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:56 - Sep 23 with 905 viewsNorthernr

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:34 - Sep 23 by nick_hammersmith

Thatcher used to brag she only needed four hours sleep a night, QED


Probably explains a lot.
4
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 14:02 - Sep 23 with 888 viewsR_from_afar

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:04 - Sep 23 by kernowhoop

I wear one from time to time - at night - but never felt the need to do so when I played football.


The Visma/Lease a bike pro cycling team, which includes Jonas Vingegaard, use nasal strips:
https://histrips.com/blogs/new

I'm not sure whether it counts as pseudoscience, an eccentricity or good oral health - bear with me on this - but when I used to play 8 a side football, I would floss just before kick-off.

The thing was, I used to eat a cereal bar for energy on the way to the match and always felt I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the game fully if I was trying to extract chewed up oats from between my teeth while attempting to close down a pacy winger .

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 21:44 - Sep 23 with 705 viewskensalriser

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 14:02 - Sep 23 by R_from_afar

The Visma/Lease a bike pro cycling team, which includes Jonas Vingegaard, use nasal strips:
https://histrips.com/blogs/new

I'm not sure whether it counts as pseudoscience, an eccentricity or good oral health - bear with me on this - but when I used to play 8 a side football, I would floss just before kick-off.

The thing was, I used to eat a cereal bar for energy on the way to the match and always felt I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the game fully if I was trying to extract chewed up oats from between my teeth while attempting to close down a pacy winger .


Don't mention the cycling!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

1
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 00:03 - Sep 24 with 643 viewsKensalT

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 21:44 - Sep 23 by kensalriser

Don't mention the cycling!


Don't mention the Tour!

1
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:33 - Sep 24 with 503 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:43 - Sep 23 by Northernr

Footballers and sleep have a tricky relationship anyway (and not just because of all the shagging). Travel, late night games, stress, caffein tablets, Red Bull/Monster etc etc. A quarter of professionals don't even manage six hours a night...

https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/a


The clubs level of sleep monitoring would have made a far better question at the recent fans forum rather than street signs.

ps. Re Thatcher. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have been around in the 70s. The constant power cuts, swathes of derelict bomb damaged sites left untouched for decades, rubbish piled up in Trafalgar Square and being held hostage to the blackmail of the Unions was not fun. She was far from perfect and I’m not a Thatcherite but by God she turned this country around from the sick man of Europe to its leading light. It’s now very trendy to slag her off when what she achieved (at admittedly great cost to some communities) was remarkable.

Poll: Julian Stepháne…stick or twist

0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:44 - Sep 24 with 490 viewsnick_hammersmith

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:33 - Sep 24 by Beckenhamhoop

The clubs level of sleep monitoring would have made a far better question at the recent fans forum rather than street signs.

ps. Re Thatcher. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have been around in the 70s. The constant power cuts, swathes of derelict bomb damaged sites left untouched for decades, rubbish piled up in Trafalgar Square and being held hostage to the blackmail of the Unions was not fun. She was far from perfect and I’m not a Thatcherite but by God she turned this country around from the sick man of Europe to its leading light. It’s now very trendy to slag her off when what she achieved (at admittedly great cost to some communities) was remarkable.


I think she'll probably be remembered for;

1). Selling off all the council houses without building numbers to backfill
2). Starting to privatise important public services, which led to increased prices and poorer services for the people
3). Starting a war with Argentina to improve her popularity
4). (most important) taking free milk out of schools.

Its not all bad though, I do remember that trade unions had got wildly out of control.
In my industry we still romanticise how the Panorama crew got weighed in with multipliers on multipliers during some programme about Gibraltar and ended up earning a years wage (or equivalent)
0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:51 - Sep 24 with 480 viewsBrianMcCarthy

If we could combine a few threads here...

When Man Utd. scored that 99th-minute equaliser, it was Thatcher who was ref and Burnham who nodded it in from a Ratcliffe cross.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

3
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:51 - Sep 24 with 418 viewsNorthernr

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 12:33 - Sep 24 by Beckenhamhoop

The clubs level of sleep monitoring would have made a far better question at the recent fans forum rather than street signs.

ps. Re Thatcher. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have been around in the 70s. The constant power cuts, swathes of derelict bomb damaged sites left untouched for decades, rubbish piled up in Trafalgar Square and being held hostage to the blackmail of the Unions was not fun. She was far from perfect and I’m not a Thatcherite but by God she turned this country around from the sick man of Europe to its leading light. It’s now very trendy to slag her off when what she achieved (at admittedly great cost to some communities) was remarkable.


I think you might have taken a joke a bit too seriously there.
0
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 15:36 - Sep 24 with 353 viewsoldchap

Very interesting read by someone with a vast amount of knowledge and practical experience in the field. I really think that the joy of football is being squeezed out by people misusing data to make complex something that first and foremost excite participants and watchers. It is about being in the moment, not xG or x anything. Data has an important role to play but no more.
I too am fed up seeing people waving tablets in front of players before coming on to the field.
Lastly I remember the 1970s very well having started work in 1972 in London where I was born. The description of loads of bomb sites untouched is not a place I recognise. I do remember masses of building projects, I do remember speculators holding onto plots of land. Industrial nrest was a massive problem but there was a lot more to the decade. Like every other period there was good times and bad.
2
Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 15:37 - Sep 24 with 350 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Former Coventry performance head on the 'pseudoscience' taking over football on 13:51 - Sep 24 by Northernr

I think you might have taken a joke a bit too seriously there.


Wouldn’t be the first (or last) time.

Poll: Julian Stepháne…stick or twist

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026