Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michael Oliver ! 21:46 - Mar 13 with 2393 viewsrunningman75

What a terrible referee , I hate Man Untd nearly as much as Chelsea but killing a game of football with a red card. Moments before Willian was barely touched but rolled around 15 times. Been loving Championship football recently with no diving primadonnas.
Michael Oliver ! on 22:14 - Mar 13 with 2152 viewsdaveB

ref didn't kill anything. Man Utd spent first 35 minutes kicking Hazard, ref warned them next time they kick him he'll book them and Herrera kicks him 10 seconds later so rightly sent off, player was a moron.
Michael Oliver ! on 22:20 - Mar 13 with 2127 viewsloftboy

Michael Oliver ! on 22:14 - Mar 13 by daveB

ref didn't kill anything. Man Utd spent first 35 minutes kicking Hazard, ref warned them next time they kick him he'll book them and Herrera kicks him 10 seconds later so rightly sent off, player was a moron.

When I did my referee training albei 25 years ago this scenario was brought up, basically a team picking on a player, a different player fouling him each time, each individual foul not bad enough to warrant a yellow, I was told that basically after the third one the 4 th player gets cautioned no matter what or you will lose control.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Michael Oliver ! on 22:30 - Mar 13 with 2097 viewsToast_R

Yep reminded me of Diakite a bit. Stupid.

Chelsea were on a different level to Man United in every position. Man United have been throwing millions at getting in right since Ferguson retired on players and managers but because their fans are so fickle, they feel the need to buy marquee signings rather then build a balanced squad, pretty much dumped the Fergie philosophy when they realised David Moyes shouldn't have been the Chosen One. It really is quite funny. Da Gea is still their best player.
Michael Oliver ! on 22:40 - Mar 13 with 2056 viewsstowmarketrange

Michael Oliver ! on 22:20 - Mar 13 by loftboy

When I did my referee training albei 25 years ago this scenario was brought up, basically a team picking on a player, a different player fouling him each time, each individual foul not bad enough to warrant a yellow, I was told that basically after the third one the 4 th player gets cautioned no matter what or you will lose control.

That is exactly what West Ham did to us in their season back in the premier league at Loftus Road.
They took it in turns to foul any of our players or waste time when they were winning,but no one player did enough to get their 2nd yellow card.
Typical Allardyce tactics.
Michael Oliver ! on 22:47 - Mar 13 with 2030 viewsLblock

What about gobby lino's provided by their clubs?

What did you do with those lunatics?!?!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Michael Oliver ! on 22:50 - Mar 13 with 2021 viewssmegma

United committed twice as many fouls as the other team.
Michael Oliver ! on 22:54 - Mar 13 with 2007 viewsloftboy

Michael Oliver ! on 22:47 - Mar 13 by Lblock

What about gobby lino's provided by their clubs?

What did you do with those lunatics?!?!

Take.the.flag off them and.report to county,if.they were a sub then.it would be a sending off,I fit was a manager/coach report them,

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Michael Oliver ! on 22:59 - Mar 13 with 1994 viewsbosh67

Didn't have a huge amount of option. Good game, two good teams but ruined by Man Utd's poor discipline.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Michael Oliver ! on 23:14 - Mar 13 with 1962 views2Thomas2Bowles

Man u really missed Ibrahimović

I think with him and a bit more discipline they could have beat the scum

Hazard it a great player but also hits the deck a bit to easy and rolls about

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Michael Oliver ! on 23:50 - Mar 13 with 1902 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Little wonder then that referees are so inconsistent. Judged on its own merits that foul did not warrant a yellow and Oliver ruined an entertaining contest that was coming to the boil.
Michael Oliver ! on 00:10 - Mar 14 with 1872 viewsDeepcutHoop

Michael Oliver ! on 23:50 - Mar 13 by Benny_the_Ball

Little wonder then that referees are so inconsistent. Judged on its own merits that foul did not warrant a yellow and Oliver ruined an entertaining contest that was coming to the boil.

Referees job is not to make the match entertaining tbh

Herrera fouled Hazard both times nowhere near the ball. Both challenges were cynical and deserved yellows.

The fact he did the second after the ref had pulled Utd up yet again for fouling him makes it doubly stupid.

Rojo got away with a stamp at the end though, that boy seems unsendoffable. Should have 4 already this season, and that's just in games I've watched.

Shocking that Utd have turned into a petulant, spoiling bunch under Mourinho...
Michael Oliver ! on 00:24 - Mar 14 with 1866 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Michael Oliver ! on 00:10 - Mar 14 by DeepcutHoop

Herrera fouled Hazard both times nowhere near the ball. Both challenges were cynical and deserved yellows.

The fact he did the second after the ref had pulled Utd up yet again for fouling him makes it doubly stupid.

Rojo got away with a stamp at the end though, that boy seems unsendoffable. Should have 4 already this season, and that's just in games I've watched.

The referees job is not to kill the entertainment either. What's the point of football if there is no entertainment?

The second challenge was not cynical and not worthy of a yellow. Oliver only produced the yellow because he had pulled up Jones 10 seconds earlier. Had Jones fouled Hazard again I would understand the yellow card being shown for persistent fouling but you shouldn't penalize 1 player for the actions of another.

I agree though that Rojo got away with one and will probably face retrospective action.
Michael Oliver ! on 01:22 - Mar 14 with 1837 viewsFredManRave

Michael Oliver ! on 22:30 - Mar 13 by Toast_R

Yep reminded me of Diakite a bit. Stupid.

Chelsea were on a different level to Man United in every position. Man United have been throwing millions at getting in right since Ferguson retired on players and managers but because their fans are so fickle, they feel the need to buy marquee signings rather then build a balanced squad, pretty much dumped the Fergie philosophy when they realised David Moyes shouldn't have been the Chosen One. It really is quite funny. Da Gea is still their best player.

De Gea is quality, no doubt about it, top 3 in the world and kept them up the last couple of seasons.

As for marquee signings, has there ever been one worse than 2bobga?!

R'swipe twinned with Pogba. Shocking and a reflection of present day football that these guys are multi millionaires.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2017 1:29]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Michael Oliver ! on 07:38 - Mar 14 with 1648 viewssmegma

I didn't hear any pundits condemning the refs performance, ditto the press this morning. I thought the ref had a good game.appears Mourinhos ONLY plan was to kick Hazard. The only Utd player I felt sorry for was Rashford who at least was trying to play football.
Michael Oliver ! on 09:08 - Mar 14 with 1496 viewstraininvain

Pogba has gone from not looking like he's worth £90m to looking out of his depth.

Smiling and laughing at the end. Doesn't have the mindset of a world class player. Never see Messi or Ronaldo having a laugh after they lose.
Michael Oliver ! on 09:19 - Mar 14 with 1477 viewsdaveB

Michael Oliver ! on 00:24 - Mar 14 by Benny_the_Ball

The referees job is not to kill the entertainment either. What's the point of football if there is no entertainment?

The second challenge was not cynical and not worthy of a yellow. Oliver only produced the yellow because he had pulled up Jones 10 seconds earlier. Had Jones fouled Hazard again I would understand the yellow card being shown for persistent fouling but you shouldn't penalize 1 player for the actions of another.

I agree though that Rojo got away with one and will probably face retrospective action.

How has the ref killed entertainment? He booked someone for kicking a flair player trying to run and dribble with the ball, surely the bloke kicking Hazard was the one killing entertainment rather than the bloke enforcing the laws
Michael Oliver ! on 09:26 - Mar 14 with 1462 viewssimmo

I don't mind Michael Oliver. Didn’t see the game last night (why would I watch a match with 2 teams I hate — there won’t be any winners) but he’s one of the better guys IMO. That being said the quality is so mixed and it’s relative so that someone like Dean is viewed as a top referee when he’s a prize tw@t, but in comparison to the Masons, Deadmans, Kettles of this world, he’s fckin Collina.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Michael Oliver ! on 09:29 - Mar 14 with 1455 viewspaulparker

sorry have I missed something , when did they ever stop being a bunch of knts

if you break it down its what "top" modern football is about, Utd kick Hazard , Hazard
rolls around like he has been shot , conte is jumping up and down on the touchline and the other player gets sent off, job done , its cheating and quite frankly embarrassing
it happened the other night with barca vs PSG when Barca cheated to get 2 penalties
if you gave me a chance to either see Chelsea vs utd circa 1987 or last nights bore fest I know which game I would rather watch

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Michael Oliver ! on 09:31 - Mar 14 with 1450 viewsJigsore

Michael Oliver ! on 09:19 - Mar 14 by daveB

How has the ref killed entertainment? He booked someone for kicking a flair player trying to run and dribble with the ball, surely the bloke kicking Hazard was the one killing entertainment rather than the bloke enforcing the laws

ironically Moaninho spent most of his second spell in charge arguing that Hazard didn't get enough protection from referees. Good work from Oliver I reckon, there's a reason people are touting him as the best in the league right now

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Michael Oliver ! on 10:01 - Mar 14 with 1391 viewsfrancisbowles

Interesting that no one seems to think that Herrera's first yellow was harsh. I don't know what he was supposed to do. Should he have stood to one side and said after you old chap?

Okay he may have turned his shoulder a bit and knew what he was doing but I don't think he could really have done much else. I would be unhappy with a free kick if it was against us, never mind the yellow.

I know that sport in general has changed due to health and safety and the risk of being sued. You now risk assess all activities and amend if they are high risk. However, this was hardly reckless or dangerous. To me this was a coming together and it is Hazard's responsibility to try and go around the player rather than running straight at him.

I know that this happens all the time so this (Oliver's)interpretation was consistent with current practice. A player is penalised for not getting out of the way but when a ball is going out for a goal kick a defender is allowed to move any way possible to block the opponent from getting to it. Can't see any logic, fairness or consistency in that.
Michael Oliver ! on 10:06 - Mar 14 with 1380 viewsBrightonhoop

Dont think you can blame the Ref tbf when Utd's only game plan was to kick Hazard. And Mourhinos answer was to send on Fellaini of all players to take the heat out of it? lol
Mourhinos is not so special and Utd are boring. They've been found out.
Michael Oliver ! on 10:17 - Mar 14 with 1359 viewsqprphil

On a personal level, I find Oliver one of the better referees. It's a really difficult job to do these days in the Premier with so much play acting. Also, he doesn't have the play back option available to him, even the pundits watching things happen in slow motion cant agree a lot of the time. He calls it as he see's it, so much better than Jones, East, Taylor, and Mason imo.
Michael Oliver ! on 10:17 - Mar 14 with 1357 viewsDeepcutHoop

Michael Oliver ! on 10:01 - Mar 14 by francisbowles

Interesting that no one seems to think that Herrera's first yellow was harsh. I don't know what he was supposed to do. Should he have stood to one side and said after you old chap?

Okay he may have turned his shoulder a bit and knew what he was doing but I don't think he could really have done much else. I would be unhappy with a free kick if it was against us, never mind the yellow.

I know that sport in general has changed due to health and safety and the risk of being sued. You now risk assess all activities and amend if they are high risk. However, this was hardly reckless or dangerous. To me this was a coming together and it is Hazard's responsibility to try and go around the player rather than running straight at him.

I know that this happens all the time so this (Oliver's)interpretation was consistent with current practice. A player is penalised for not getting out of the way but when a ball is going out for a goal kick a defender is allowed to move any way possible to block the opponent from getting to it. Can't see any logic, fairness or consistency in that.

Disagree on that first yellow, thought he did enough to warrant it.

Agree on defenders shepherding the ball out of play though, no attempt to play the ball, plus actively obstructing an opponent should be a foul, but is nevere given.

See also; defenders or goalies (particularly goalies) clearing players out immediately after they've taken a shot. I don't understand why those challenges are allowed.
Michael Oliver ! on 15:31 - Mar 14 with 1157 viewsMatch82

Does bring up the idea of captaincy again. This is one place where rugby has it right, ref tells the captain "one more, by anyone, youre in trouble". That's the logic being applied by oliver (and loftboy!) here, which is fair enough, but what's missing is the relationship between referee and captain. Get that sorted, a lot of this stuff can be improved
Michael Oliver ! on 15:38 - Mar 14 with 1137 viewskensalriser

Was there a game last night? I can't say I'd noticed.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024