Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. 19:41 - Sep 3 with 6786 viewsNorthernr

Massive thanks to Paul Morrissey at QPR for arranging this. 100 years at Loftus Road being marked this Saturday against Ipswich with loads of former players on the pitch, so this is a mixture of Ollie's memories of the place as a player and manager, and his thoughts on the current situation at the club.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46457
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 20:21 - Sep 3 with 4640 viewsLongsufferingR

Fantastic stuff. Should be compulsory reading for those who refuse to understand how the current regime have worked to change the club from top to bottom and that it takes time, patience, understanding and support rather than abuse and hounding out good people every five minutes.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 21:04 - Sep 3 with 4535 viewsWokingR

Got to love the bloke and what a great interview and insight
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 21:27 - Sep 3 with 4477 viewsdanehoop

Great interview and real insight into the marvelous world of Ollie and his particular take on and love for QPR.

Credit to you as well Clive, the club clearly hold your writing in high regard to have allowed the interview.

Never knowingly understood

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 22:49 - Sep 3 with 4281 viewsCiderwithRsie

"he had to play with Sandro as well for Christ’s sake." LOL, as they say.

For those of us of a certain age the comments on Roy Wegerle and Simon Barker are interesting. I always thought one of the great tragedies of QPR was that we never saw a Wegerle-Ferdinand partnership with both of them at their best, and the was the one thing I criticised Gerry for, but reading that makes me think it would never have happened.

There idea that Simon Barker saw himself as the playmaker and had to learn that was Ray's job explains a lot.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 23:57 - Sep 3 with 4165 viewsSydneyRs

He's spot on with Wegerle. His moments of brilliance were matched by frustration at his laziness and lack of commitment at times.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 00:12 - Sep 4 with 4154 viewsqueensparker

Cracking interview.

Don't want to blow smoke up your arse NorthernR but you're a fine journalist doing a great job for us all on this site. And Ollie's a dream interviewee.

There's been some ups and downs since Holloway came back but the effort and desire in this year's team is clear and the detail and passion in his answers there give me great hope. We've now got a group of QPR people doing a QPR job around the whole club, they need time and really hope they get it
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 0:13]
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 00:16 - Sep 4 with 4145 viewsvegasranger

We've had a lot of good interviews over the years on Loft For Words and for me ,this is one of the very best. As others have said, after reading that, who doesn't want the very best for Ian Holloway? Excellent job Clive !!
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 0:17]
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 06:16 - Sep 4 with 3991 viewsLblock

Great stuff

Here's the thing though. Ollie has been under pressure TWICE already in his short second tenure and it's without he'll be so again numerous times. With some he will be constantly having to justify being back. My concern is we lose him under negative circumstances as he is a man who once he's had enough of managing the club needs to move upstairs

He confirms in one statement how he's not really suited to managing in the Premiership when he admits he's not good at buying the finished article "the shiney ones". I completely agree and that's his glass ceiling but I'd dearly love to see him give it a go again at that level !!!

A great read and reaffirms my support for the great man
Performances, selections, tactics etc will get stick and scrutiny as that's the nature of the beast. You can't ever question his love, effort or commitment and that'll do for me

Then. Now. Always

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 06:23 - Sep 4 with 3989 viewsPommyhoop

Great read Clive.It must be a good craic interviewing Ollie.
Like others , the Sandro comment made me Lol...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 06:26 - Sep 4 with 3985 viewsPommyhoop

Just one thing Clive, has anyone else pulled you up on the thread title?
Old Ollie looks good for 150 odd...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 07:53 - Sep 4 with 3890 viewsrbsranger

Great interview Clive
The one thing that made me a little sad is that even real lovers of the game like Ollie have been instituionalised by 25 years of Sky to the extent that he will always prioritise league games over the cups despite what us fans would want. Most people on here would definitely prefer a cup run to the 3 horrible seasons that we have had recently in the premier league but that is not what Sky has trained our owners to believe and Ollie needs to toe the company line.

Oh, and the Sandro comment was pure gold....
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 07:56 - Sep 4 with 3883 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 07:53 - Sep 4 by rbsranger

Great interview Clive
The one thing that made me a little sad is that even real lovers of the game like Ollie have been instituionalised by 25 years of Sky to the extent that he will always prioritise league games over the cups despite what us fans would want. Most people on here would definitely prefer a cup run to the 3 horrible seasons that we have had recently in the premier league but that is not what Sky has trained our owners to believe and Ollie needs to toe the company line.

Oh, and the Sandro comment was pure gold....

Yeh I thought that was a shame and said as much to him. I think he had a point about the fixtures in August though - your reward for winning in rounds one and two of the League Cup is a completely unworkable set of fixtures, interesting idea about playing that League Cup first round the Saturday before the first league games of the season.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 07:58 - Sep 4 with 3874 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 00:16 - Sep 4 by vegasranger

We've had a lot of good interviews over the years on Loft For Words and for me ,this is one of the very best. As others have said, after reading that, who doesn't want the very best for Ian Holloway? Excellent job Clive !!
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 0:17]

I must say it only made me more worried for him if it doesn't turn out well. He's absolutely dying to do well here. Scary amount of passion and love for the place.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 08:36 - Sep 4 with 3799 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Excellent interview. Well done Clive.

I can see his point about the cup, particularly in the congested early days of the season. I'm not sure I still agree, but I feel that I will once I think about it enough!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 09:28 - Sep 4 with 3690 viewsenfieldargh

If we did manage to go up then keep a little diamonds and add the likes of Sam Gallagher, even pay over the odds for him and not buy the old as-beens on their way down.

If we get relegated just be all the more stronger to get back up again......Burnley and maybe this time around Huddersfield

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 09:37 - Sep 4 with 3672 viewsterryb

Thank you Clive for such a superb interview.

I admit to being one of those that was opposed to re-appointing Ollie as manager & I still have doubts over his ability to halt a bad run.

However, his care for the club & appetite for work has never been in question. His perception of our future is a wonderful read & along with the brilliant work our community section does, optimism for the future of Queens Park Rangers is higher than I can recall.

I'm now really looking forward to Saturday. Even having to travel with the opposition fans can't deter me. Hopefully, us regulars on the 6.00pm from Liverpool Street to Colchester & Ipswich will be the happy ones!
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 09:48 - Sep 4 with 3647 viewsTheChef

Great interview Clive - much appreciated!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 12:48 - Sep 4 with 3295 viewsLongsufferingR

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 07:56 - Sep 4 by Northernr

Yeh I thought that was a shame and said as much to him. I think he had a point about the fixtures in August though - your reward for winning in rounds one and two of the League Cup is a completely unworkable set of fixtures, interesting idea about playing that League Cup first round the Saturday before the first league games of the season.

No reason why that couldn't work if the will is there among the clubs. They already do it in Scotland.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 13:03 - Sep 4 with 3258 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 12:48 - Sep 4 by LongsufferingR

No reason why that couldn't work if the will is there among the clubs. They already do it in Scotland.

Question is, would it actually devalue it further - i.e. would they just treat it like the final friendly? We put a stronger team out for our last friendly than we did for Brentford though.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 13:46 - Sep 4 with 3140 viewsAntti_Heinola

Thanks for a great interview Clive - and well done for putting some pretty tough, forthright questions in there, and pursuing them.
You have to love him and his dedication. I hope it won't prove all too much for him, I think we'd all love him to do well.
Assume the £9m player might have been Winnall?

Sylla is an interesting one. I'm reading Ibrahimovic's book at the moment, and when he was at Ajax, Van Gaal was DoF and was constantly at him to track back, run around, put pressure on etc. Marco van Basten told him the opposite. Save your energy for scoring goals - that's what the team needs from you. Weirdly, it was Zlatan's agent that forced him to have a re-think and work harder at his game and get his body stronger and so forth, but then at Juve, Capello wanted him to dominate the box and take the one or two chances he might get in each game, rather than the 6 he'd get in Holland. In the end, Capello, the taskmaster, was closer to van Basten than van Gaal. Do your job Ibra - score your goals. And I wonder whether Ollie needs to maybe have that attitude with Sylla, even if it's contrary to what he's preaching to the rest of the side. I get what he means about Wegerle, but if Wegerle ran around like Ollie, maybe he wpuldn't have been able to walk roun half the Leeds side in 1991? Sylla is by far the best pure striker we have, and the most dangerous, and the most prolific. If you play him with Mackie and with our midfield three behind them, maybe there is enough running there.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 14:14]

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 13:47 - Sep 4 with 3132 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 13:46 - Sep 4 by Antti_Heinola

Thanks for a great interview Clive - and well done for putting some pretty tough, forthright questions in there, and pursuing them.
You have to love him and his dedication. I hope it won't prove all too much for him, I think we'd all love him to do well.
Assume the £9m player might have been Winnall?

Sylla is an interesting one. I'm reading Ibrahimovic's book at the moment, and when he was at Ajax, Van Gaal was DoF and was constantly at him to track back, run around, put pressure on etc. Marco van Basten told him the opposite. Save your energy for scoring goals - that's what the team needs from you. Weirdly, it was Zlatan's agent that forced him to have a re-think and work harder at his game and get his body stronger and so forth, but then at Juve, Capello wanted him to dominate the box and take the one or two chances he might get in each game, rather than the 6 he'd get in Holland. In the end, Capello, the taskmaster, was closer to van Basten than van Gaal. Do your job Ibra - score your goals. And I wonder whether Ollie needs to maybe have that attitude with Sylla, even if it's contrary to what he's preaching to the rest of the side. I get what he means about Wegerle, but if Wegerle ran around like Ollie, maybe he wpuldn't have been able to walk roun half the Leeds side in 1991? Sylla is by far the best pure striker we have, and the most dangerous, and the most prolific. If you play him with Mackie and with our midfield three behind them, maybe there is enough running there.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 14:14]

Couldn't coax the name of the player out but if I was betting I'd go for Ashley Fletcher who ended up going to Boro - Mick McCarthy said the other week Ipswich had been in for him initially on loan and then £1.5m to buy and when they came back from lunch he'd gone to Boro for £7m and he felt like a right silly sod.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 15:05 - Sep 4 with 2991 viewsfrancisbowles

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 07:56 - Sep 4 by Northernr

I think he has been reading this forum

From the Holloways Mouth
at 10:09 23 Aug 2017

I think Ollie has it about right. The problem is too many games early in the season, in a league which is very even and therefore every point counts, and then after our next match an international break. They don't have this problem in the top division as they have less league games and don't enter this competition until the 2nd or even 3rd round.

So why not try and play some of this competition in the international breaks? Yes you might be without a few but you wouldn't need to make ten or eleven changes. You might even play the first round before the league season starts.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 15:10 - Sep 4 with 2981 viewsenfieldargh

The same Ashley Fletcher who in 44 appearances for Barnsley, West Ham, Boro and England U20's has scored 7 goals?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 15:15 - Sep 4 with 2962 viewsLongsufferingR

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 15:05 - Sep 4 by francisbowles

I think he has been reading this forum

From the Holloways Mouth
at 10:09 23 Aug 2017

I think Ollie has it about right. The problem is too many games early in the season, in a league which is very even and therefore every point counts, and then after our next match an international break. They don't have this problem in the top division as they have less league games and don't enter this competition until the 2nd or even 3rd round.

So why not try and play some of this competition in the international breaks? Yes you might be without a few but you wouldn't need to make ten or eleven changes. You might even play the first round before the league season starts.

I think FIFA probably wouldn't allow it as it would devalue Estonia v Cyprus.
Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 15:29 - Sep 4 with 2911 viewsNorthernr

Ian Holloway interview to mark 100 years at Loftus Road. on 15:10 - Sep 4 by enfieldargh

The same Ashley Fletcher who in 44 appearances for Barnsley, West Ham, Boro and England U20's has scored 7 goals?

Yeh, McCarthy said he was in for him on loan and he ended up going to Boro for £7m so it sort of fits.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024