Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A team - an actual proper team! 23:51 - Oct 23 with 10039 viewsOakR

Well this feel good doesn't it. For the first time in a longtime, we have a team. Not a collection of individuals, not some people putting in more effort than others, not people not really knowing what they should be doing.

The hunger of the team tonight, the amount of times we won the ball back, fouled trying was the standout thing for me.

The team now virtually picks itself - the bench looks good also, we've got a couple of youngsters in there, and we look tough.

The defence is now settled - that's out starters if all fit - with Lumley No1.

Midfield Cameron and Luongo won the ball so much tonight. And of course we then have attacking options.

We're not perfect but we are now a unit.

Poll: Will we stay up?

A team - an actual proper team! on 00:19 - Oct 24 with 8133 viewsted_hendrix

When you consider that our last four games have won us 10 points, we've scored 7 times and only conceded once you've got to be pleased.
Conceding only once in 360 minutes of football is a huge plus factor for me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

A team - an actual proper team! on 03:27 - Oct 24 with 7977 viewstimcocking

A team - an actual proper team! on 00:19 - Oct 24 by ted_hendrix

When you consider that our last four games have won us 10 points, we've scored 7 times and only conceded once you've got to be pleased.
Conceding only once in 360 minutes of football is a huge plus factor for me.

It's a funny old game alright. Two weeks ago, we're a suicidal fan base (not surprising) and it seemed almost impossible to win a football match. Now, we're virtually unstoppable.

If you don't include the first four games, we must be close to the top of the table and we're still a work in progress as they say. To think the likes of Bright-Samuel aren't even getting a game!

I'd be fascinated to see how a 4-1-4-1 with BOS-Freeman-Eze-Pawel as the midfield four.
A team - an actual proper team! on 07:24 - Oct 24 with 7829 viewstraininvain

A team - an actual proper team! on 03:27 - Oct 24 by timcocking

It's a funny old game alright. Two weeks ago, we're a suicidal fan base (not surprising) and it seemed almost impossible to win a football match. Now, we're virtually unstoppable.

If you don't include the first four games, we must be close to the top of the table and we're still a work in progress as they say. To think the likes of Bright-Samuel aren't even getting a game!

I'd be fascinated to see how a 4-1-4-1 with BOS-Freeman-Eze-Pawel as the midfield four.

Two weeks ago we were coming off the back of an away win and a creditable draw at home to Derby.

But I take your point, a lot of people on here wanted McClaren gone in August / September. Perhaps a lesson in patience for some.

We’d struggle with the midfield four you mentioned. It’s too attacking and lacks balance. A key part of our recent success has been Luongo’s workrate and bite in midfield combined with Cameron’s excellent positional play.

As the old saying goes, if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it. But that might be difficult going into Friday night’s game off the back of three games in six days.
A team - an actual proper team! on 07:38 - Oct 24 with 7775 viewskingsburyR

It did look like a team tonight.

All we ask for is effort. Put the effort in, fire into a few tackles and the crowd get involved. Was a little louder than normal at HQ in the second half. Not jumping but better.

And it was nice to see how chuffed the whole team was when Wells scored at the end. You could see it had become a bit of an issue for the lad. (Although if he doesn't start spraying it wide to Pav a bit more I'll scream!!!)

Well played 1 to 11 (and the three subs) - and the management.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

A team - an actual proper team! on 08:05 - Oct 24 with 7681 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nice warm buzz about the place this morning. Here's an actual picture of me walking to work just now.

That's the best I've seen us play in quite some time.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A team - an actual proper team! on 08:23 - Oct 24 with 7603 viewsWokingR

A team - an actual proper team! on 08:05 - Oct 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Nice warm buzz about the place this morning. Here's an actual picture of me walking to work just now.

That's the best I've seen us play in quite some time.

Don't want to ruin your day Brian but someone's played that old 'deep heat in your pants' trick on you.
A team - an actual proper team! on 08:24 - Oct 24 with 7588 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A team - an actual proper team! on 08:23 - Oct 24 by WokingR

Don't want to ruin your day Brian but someone's played that old 'deep heat in your pants' trick on you.

I thought that warm feeling down there was just the remembrance of Freeman's goal.

A team - an actual proper team! on 08:52 - Oct 24 with 7475 viewspaulparker

We had a team last year and the year before that ,we had team unity under Olly
the difference this year is we have three players with premier league or higher end championship experience in Cameron , Hamed, Wells , something Holloway didn’t have
What I will say though is that McLaren has organised the defence well , we look solid and everyone is sticking a head or a boot in , we also seem to have the counter Atack sussed and when we break up play and go forward we look like scoring , Eze looks a 20 million player
I’m not a fan of McLaren but il give him credit he has turned it around and you can see the coaching he has worked on with the players
A nice test on Friday awaits we can go and play without fear all the pressure is on Villa

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

A team - an actual proper team! on 09:19 - Oct 24 with 7363 viewsBluce_Ree

I'm happy for McCLaren. Yes, he looked like he was hopelessly out of his depth at the start but the man has a proper managerial history. He's not an ex-player looking for a chance or someone who has only managed at a lower level. Sure, he's never really been a winner but he's a fairly credible manager once you get past the silly hair and the whole 'brolly' thing.

Sure, we're still capable of losing a few in a row or taking the occasional shoeing and we're not about to start troubling the top of the table but we're starting to look professional and that counts for a lot.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

A team - an actual proper team! on 09:48 - Oct 24 with 7294 viewsozranger

A team - an actual proper team! on 03:27 - Oct 24 by timcocking

We'd be third behind West Brom and Sheff Utd.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/form-guide/ten

Mind you, we have the seventh best away record in the league. Who'd thought that may occur?
A team - an actual proper team! on 09:54 - Oct 24 with 7264 viewssmegma

A team - an actual proper team! on 09:19 - Oct 24 by Bluce_Ree

I'm happy for McCLaren. Yes, he looked like he was hopelessly out of his depth at the start but the man has a proper managerial history. He's not an ex-player looking for a chance or someone who has only managed at a lower level. Sure, he's never really been a winner but he's a fairly credible manager once you get past the silly hair and the whole 'brolly' thing.

Sure, we're still capable of losing a few in a row or taking the occasional shoeing and we're not about to start troubling the top of the table but we're starting to look professional and that counts for a lot.

We're 1 point from the play offs and 10 from bottom 3. I know which way we're going.
A team - an actual proper team! on 10:03 - Oct 24 with 7233 viewsPinnerPaul

I agree 100% about the team thing, with and without the ball everyone knows what to do and is doing it!

Apart from the obvious experience of the 'PL players' PP mentioned PLUS Mr Rangel btw!, for me its the 3 Ls who have been a revelation.

'Liability' Lynch , '2nd division' Leinster and 'Too young' Lumley have been superb.

In modern management speak, with those 3 so solid it does give us a' platform' to play.
A team - an actual proper team! on 10:16 - Oct 24 with 7193 viewsrsonist

A team - an actual proper team! on 08:52 - Oct 24 by paulparker

the difference this year is we have three players with premier league or higher end championship experience in Cameron , Hamed, Wells , something Holloway didn’t have
What I will say though is that McLaren has organised the defence well , we look solid and everyone is sticking a head or a boot in , we also seem to have the counter Atack sussed and when we break up play and go forward we look like scoring , Eze looks a 20 million player
I’m not a fan of McLaren but il give him credit he has turned it around and you can see the coaching he has worked on with the players
A nice test on Friday awaits we can go and play without fear all the pressure is on Villa

True about the loanees to an extent (although I'm a little tired of them being referred to like they were some sort of cheat code - we're still cutting our cloth albeit differently) but I think what people are getting at with "team" is the improved focus and concentration and generally the more settled professionalism McClaren's been on about. Ollie gave us a team for sure but like the man himself it was always boom-and-bust emotional and anarchic.
A team - an actual proper team! on 10:27 - Oct 24 with 7158 viewsPinnerPaul

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=All+together+now&view=detail&mid=49262FFEDC
A team - an actual proper team! on 11:07 - Oct 24 with 7070 viewsDavieQPR

A team - an actual proper team! on 08:52 - Oct 24 by paulparker

Yes but Holloway had Smithies, Robinson and Onuoha last year and the whole team was going to collapse in hellfire and damnation without them. Hemed and Wells might have some Prem experience but last year one would have been WB and the other DM.
A team - an actual proper team! on 11:25 - Oct 24 with 6998 viewsWestbourneR

The main issue with Ollie is that his entire game plan revolves around an insane work rate. The fly around in their faces policy. Which was good for periods but generally led to us being totally shagged. It used to make me feel tired watching Scowen chase shadows.

Meanwhile, under Ollie, there was far too little attention paid to taking care of the ball in possession and pattern of play. The pass and move and ball in behind happened almost never. Last night it was happening all the time. We had a style and chemistry.

After lost away at Boro last year people told I was made to complain as we scored 2 goals bids we just constantly and relentlessly gave the ball away after we’d won it back - and that’s not sustainable. You have to try and control possession for periods of the game. Under Ollie we never did that. Under McLaren we do.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

A team - an actual proper team! on 11:42 - Oct 24 with 6953 viewsToast_R

Great feeling but I can't help but feel the adulation after a good a win is about as over the top as the hysteria following a bad loss. Lets not forget, little over 3 weeks ago the consensus was that McClaren was staring down barrel and would be almost certainly out after Brentford.

Be happy but lets keep it in our pants for now.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2018 11:44]
A team - an actual proper team! on 11:54 - Oct 24 with 6914 viewsRs_Holy

A team - an actual proper team! on 09:48 - Oct 24 by ozranger

We'd be third behind West Brom and Sheff Utd.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/form-guide/ten

Mind you, we have the seventh best away record in the league. Who'd thought that may occur?

Scott Minto mentioned after Norwich-Villa last night that if the League had started after August 24th we'd be equal top!
I wanted Schteeve to prove me wrong and he's doing a very good job of it (at this point in time)... More than happy to eat a large slice of humble pie :)
A team - an actual proper team! on 12:21 - Oct 24 with 6824 viewsDando

Who would have thought that keeping a settled side and playing people in their correct position would boost our confidence, understanding and achieve results.

I personally preferred playing guess the lineup last year and seeing Bidwell playing wingback
A team - an actual proper team! on 12:21 - Oct 24 with 6819 viewssimmo

It's less the result though (for me) and more that you can actually see what's being done to progress and improve. You can really notice where the coaching has improved people, and not just the likes of Lumley and Eze who are getting better with game time, but also Lynch who has been managed to be more of a basic centre back with a regular partner, rather than being the step out and get turned man we've seen.

Even Freeman has improved slowly in the left midfield role he really struggled with before, it's allowed Eze to make 10 his own so they're not trying to play the same position from different parts of the pitch. Freeman remember frozen out at Bristol for not being able to adapt and rarely had a good game for Olly in that position.

Of course it’s also the progression and learning of McLaren that’s been good to see. It’s been a slow process through split centre backs to 442 to playing Eze further forward to having proper width with Wzsolek, but it’s coming together bit by bit and when you include the fact that we’ve already matched our away wins and (pretty much) clean sheets for the whole of last season, and it’s not even November, it’s pretty impressive.

Interesting to see how we raise our game (or don’t) against the likes of Villa, Brentford, Stoke, Boro, etc and also if any bumps in the road make Schteve revert to previous nonsense, but for now, I am in a much better place than a few weeks back. Genuinely believe if we can keep this group fit and stay relatively consistent in this formation / team selection, we will comfortably stay up and maybe finish top half.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

A team - an actual proper team! on 12:45 - Oct 24 with 6761 viewsspencer

A team - an actual proper team! on 10:03 - Oct 24 by PinnerPaul

I agree 100% about the team thing, with and without the ball everyone knows what to do and is doing it!

Apart from the obvious experience of the 'PL players' PP mentioned PLUS Mr Rangel btw!, for me its the 3 Ls who have been a revelation.

'Liability' Lynch , '2nd division' Leinster and 'Too young' Lumley have been superb.

In modern management speak, with those 3 so solid it does give us a' platform' to play.

I sat down and thought the same. Usually - its..well....he played well, that's a positive. But last night...we just looked like a team...

So....just want to add. Cameron makes a massive difference...oh and then theres .........
A team - an actual proper team! on 12:47 - Oct 24 with 6756 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A team - an actual proper team! on 12:21 - Oct 24 by simmo

It's less the result though (for me) and more that you can actually see what's being done to progress and improve. You can really notice where the coaching has improved people, and not just the likes of Lumley and Eze who are getting better with game time, but also Lynch who has been managed to be more of a basic centre back with a regular partner, rather than being the step out and get turned man we've seen.

Even Freeman has improved slowly in the left midfield role he really struggled with before, it's allowed Eze to make 10 his own so they're not trying to play the same position from different parts of the pitch. Freeman remember frozen out at Bristol for not being able to adapt and rarely had a good game for Olly in that position.

Of course it’s also the progression and learning of McLaren that’s been good to see. It’s been a slow process through split centre backs to 442 to playing Eze further forward to having proper width with Wzsolek, but it’s coming together bit by bit and when you include the fact that we’ve already matched our away wins and (pretty much) clean sheets for the whole of last season, and it’s not even November, it’s pretty impressive.

Interesting to see how we raise our game (or don’t) against the likes of Villa, Brentford, Stoke, Boro, etc and also if any bumps in the road make Schteve revert to previous nonsense, but for now, I am in a much better place than a few weeks back. Genuinely believe if we can keep this group fit and stay relatively consistent in this formation / team selection, we will comfortably stay up and maybe finish top half.

"Interesting to see how we raise our game (or don’t) against the likes of Villa, Brentford, Stoke, Boro, etc and also if any bumps in the road make Schteve revert to previous nonsense, but for now, I am in a much better place than a few weeks back. Genuinely believe if we can keep this group fit and stay relatively consistent in this formation / team selection, we will comfortably stay up and maybe finish top half. "

I think that nails my mood today.

I thought last night was very enjoyable even when we were 0-0 and the game could've gone either way, by the end I was smiling ear-to-ear. This morning, though, I'm just content that we can, if fit, play some decent football and win some games. I'm not expecting us to be able to deliver that performance every game or anything like that.

But last night offered a satisfying glimpse of what's possible.

A team - an actual proper team! on 13:13 - Oct 24 with 6660 viewsEsox_Lucius

Chris Ramsey's contribution to the upturn in our fortunes seems to have gone largely under the radar. IMO he was very unlucky to be appointed manager of a team that was undergoing a sea change and trying to pull itself out of the morass created by the managers before him; it was too big a job for JFH and it proved too big a job for Ramsey too but the club, to it's credit, saw the quality he offered in a coaching role and wisely offered him a job and retained his skills.

The grass is always greener.

A team - an actual proper team! on 13:18 - Oct 24 with 6634 viewsrsonist

A team - an actual proper team! on 11:54 - Oct 24 by Rs_Holy

Scott Minto mentioned after Norwich-Villa last night that if the League had started after August 24th we'd be equal top!
I wanted Schteeve to prove me wrong and he's doing a very good job of it (at this point in time)... More than happy to eat a large slice of humble pie :)

If we'd just beaten Brum as we deserved to we'd be sixth.

Anyway sod pragmatism, I'm already getting the bunting out for when we wallop Brentford and go top.
A team - an actual proper team! on 13:23 - Oct 24 with 6603 viewsrsonist

A team - an actual proper team! on 13:13 - Oct 24 by Esox_Lucius

Chris Ramsey's contribution to the upturn in our fortunes seems to have gone largely under the radar. IMO he was very unlucky to be appointed manager of a team that was undergoing a sea change and trying to pull itself out of the morass created by the managers before him; it was too big a job for JFH and it proved too big a job for Ramsey too but the club, to it's credit, saw the quality he offered in a coaching role and wisely offered him a job and retained his skills.

It's gone under the radar because it's completely speculative. It's impossible to guess the reality when we have a bloke with so many badges he writes the coaching exams who then put out a shambolic off the cuff team without any inclination of controlling the opposition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024