Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No poppies on the match shirts today? 21:04 - Nov 10 with 9328 viewsOldPedro

Wasn't at the game today but looking at the photos of the official website, the players shirts don't seem to have poppies on them. I'm sure in previous years we have done this - anyone know why we didn't do it this year?

Don't want to make a big deal of this, just wondering that's all.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:10 - Nov 10 with 6765 viewsBlackCrowe

Don't think so but the remembrance prior to kick off was a bit special imo - congrats to the club

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:19 - Nov 10 with 6706 viewsEsox_Lucius

Wasn't a fuss kicked up by the FA/ FL/ EPL/ etc. they they were a political message and not allowed?
As mentioned, the club had the remembrance well covered today.

The grass is always greener.

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:25 - Nov 10 with 6673 viewsTripleR

Cousins had a poppy on his shirt.
None of the other QPR players had them.

Brentford shirts had poppies on them.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2018 21:25]
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:27 - Nov 10 with 6659 viewsA_B_4

They had poppies on their shirts in the first half but not in the second. I assumed they changed to dryer tops at HT but didn't have the poppies on the spare tops.
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:30 - Nov 10 with 6643 viewsOldPedro

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:27 - Nov 10 by A_B_4

They had poppies on their shirts in the first half but not in the second. I assumed they changed to dryer tops at HT but didn't have the poppies on the spare tops.

Thanks all for the comments - as I said, just thought it was unusual as we have done it before, so that explains it.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:32 - Nov 10 with 6625 viewskingsburyR

Had poppies in the first half!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:34 - Nov 10 with 6619 viewsTripleR

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:27 - Nov 10 by A_B_4

That makes sense as Cousins was the only sub today.
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:41 - Nov 10 with 6565 viewsflynnbo

The bugler was superb with what is a notoriously difficult instrument to play.
Login to get fewer ads

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:46 - Nov 10 with 6539 viewsGloryHunter

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:41 - Nov 10 by flynnbo

He was introduced as a "trumpeter", so I presume he was actually playing it on a trumpet, which is why it was so note-perfect. Some of the bugle last posts I have heard over the past week have been a bit ropey. Not that I could attempt it on either instrument.
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:07 - Nov 10 with 6453 viewsflynnbo

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:46 - Nov 10 by GloryHunter

He was introduced as a "trumpeter", so I presume he was actually playing it on a trumpet, which is why it was so note-perfect. Some of the bugle last posts I have heard over the past week have been a bit ropey. Not that I could attempt it on either instrument.

Okay. Just watched the bugler in the Albert Hall who was also extremely talented.
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:10 - Nov 10 with 6436 viewsGloryHunter

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:07 - Nov 10 by flynnbo

Okay. Just watched the bugler in the Albert Hall who was also extremely talented.

Agreed - that was perfect. Imagine the pressure of playing that live in front of an audience of millions, with only your lips and breath to form the notes. Buy that man a drink.
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:18 - Nov 10 with 6409 viewscolinallcars

We might get some air buglers on here....
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:41 - Nov 10 with 6345 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:41 - Nov 10 by flynnbo

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:47 - Nov 10 with 6324 viewsEsox_Lucius

From a Bees forum...
"The Silence was well respected.

It is so much more appropriate than applause
It was moving - as ever - to hear the last post. Rangers executed the commemorations perfectly and to read out the fallen from both clubs together showed a touch of class. The only thing I’m taking away from today."

The grass is always greener.

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:59 - Nov 10 with 6287 viewsted_hendrix

Can I just say that as an ex soldier when you were on a commemorative parade and the last post was played it was always without fail an emotional and moving moment.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 00:45 - Nov 11 with 6108 viewsBoston

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:59 - Nov 10 by ted_hendrix

Can I just say that as an ex soldier when you were on a commemorative parade and the last post was played it was always without fail an emotional and moving moment.

Boer War was it?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 01:58 - Nov 11 with 6045 viewstimcocking

So, reiterating, we did wear poppies i think. I'm guessing shirts got changed because of the weather somewhere along the line.
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 02:26 - Nov 11 with 6025 viewsSharpy36

"I'm guessing shirts got changed because of the weather somewhere along the line"

Tumble dryer perhaps

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 06:49 - Nov 11 with 5924 viewsstowmarketrange

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 22:59 - Nov 10 by ted_hendrix

It certainly was an emotional 2 minutes silence yesterday.

I was lucky enough to be picked out for the people’s procession today at the cenotaph so it will be another emotional day I think.
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 09:51 - Nov 11 with 5730 viewsrobith

I have to say the tone of remembrance in society this year has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Shops with poppy displays and poppy products. I saw on ITV news they put a poppy on a hawk that was part of a story. I saw a guy at the game yesterday who'd stuck about 30 poppies onto a QPR hat. I guess he thought more poppies equals more respect but I thought it looked like a novelty purchase, like a Christmas jumper.

As such, what a palate cleanser the club's pre game rememberance event was. Exactly what remembrance should be about. It was sombre, poignant, moving and by crossing across both clubs, highlighted how often pretty and meaningless the little tribalisms we create between ourselves are. It will stay with me for a long time
No poppies on the match shirts today? on 09:54 - Nov 11 with 5724 viewshubble

I also thought the opening ceremony was extremely well done and very moving. To hear that list of Brentford and Rangers players who lost their lives fighting in both wars was sobering. One of the names read out in that list rang a bell, so I thought I'd look him up. As some of you may know, Evelyn Lintott was the very first QPR player to get an England call up, in 1908. He was killed in action on the first day on the Somme.

There is a wiki entry for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Lintott

Like many of you I assume, both my grandfathers fought in the first world war, and my three uncles (from both sides of my family) fought in the second world war. My maternal grandfather George grew up in Pimlico and then moved to Fulham where my mum was born. He told my brother and me many stories of his experiences in the trenches, the horror of what he saw, in particular seeing his best friend shot dead in front of him. He would also regale us with the songs they sung back then, like pack up your troubles and Tipperary. He was a very modest man, a bricklayer, and a true gentleman. I always think of him at this time, and of all the men who gave their lives in both wars, a terrible slaughter that, in the case of the 1WW especially, was so unnecessary. We will remember them.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 12:42 - Nov 11 with 5585 viewspaulparker

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 09:51 - Nov 11 by robith

I have to say the tone of remembrance in society this year has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Shops with poppy displays and poppy products. I saw on ITV news they put a poppy on a hawk that was part of a story. I saw a guy at the game yesterday who'd stuck about 30 poppies onto a QPR hat. I guess he thought more poppies equals more respect but I thought it looked like a novelty purchase, like a Christmas jumper.

As such, what a palate cleanser the club's pre game rememberance event was. Exactly what remembrance should be about. It was sombre, poignant, moving and by crossing across both clubs, highlighted how often pretty and meaningless the little tribalisms we create between ourselves are. It will stay with me for a long time

I normally end up with about 20 of them myself I always leave them on different coats and jumpers
And then when I’m out and about I feel guilty that I don’t wear one so end up buying another one
Just back from our local towns service it was packed and well observed

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 12:58 - Nov 11 with 5557 viewsNortholt_Rs

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 21:10 - Nov 10 by BlackCrowe

Don't think so but the remembrance prior to kick off was a bit special imo - congrats to the club

This. Beautifully done by the club. Check out Northernr’s match day pics if you haven’t seen them already.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 13:16 - Nov 11 with 5528 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm not a fan of the poppies at all, but was glad to be there yesterday to observe it. Thought the club and crowd handled it extremely well. Dignified, as you'd expect from us.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

No poppies on the match shirts today? on 14:15 - Nov 11 with 5447 viewspaulparker

Btw this lot do it well, my new second team by far

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/supporters-of-vitesse-remembrance-battle-of

https://static-independent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/static.independent.co.uk

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024