Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The end of the beginning — Column 09:59 - Aug 28 with 9497 viewsNorthernr

Eze departure piece. No phone calls this afternoon please.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52792
The end of the beginning — Column on 10:14 - Aug 28 with 5277 viewslankylancaster

Beautifully written Clive, couldn't have put it better myself...

P.S. Yes Northallerton does exist, and it's actually rather a nice little place, but I digress...
The end of the beginning — Column on 10:23 - Aug 28 with 5217 viewsMaggsinho

That's brilliant Clive - genuinely moving.
The end of the beginning — Column on 10:26 - Aug 28 with 5190 viewsloftboy

Brilliant. Nothing else to add.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The end of the beginning — Column on 10:49 - Aug 28 with 5088 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"If you’ve ever been into somebody for a really long period of time, and never done anything about it, and spent literally years in that state, loving everything about them and holding them at the centre of your world without them ever knowing, only occasionally allowing yourself to dream of what it might be like to finally give in, confess, find out they feel the same way, and very slowly, very gently, very cautiously, reach out and touch each other’s fingers for the first time… that first touch would be about three tenths as good as Eze’s is. Every. Single. Time."

I've read that about ten times now. And I'm not getting tired of it yet.

Hard to do justice to a talent like Eze's. Luckily, we have you.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The end of the beginning — Column on 11:00 - Aug 28 with 5024 viewsNorthLondonR

Great read.. i sum it up as like a relationship where you just know its starting to fizzle out, as you both spend more and more nights out with work colleagues and she's going shopping with her mates on the Saturday, before having drinks, then the Sunday afternoon netflix session on the sofa turns into you turning round from being absorbed in the film, to find her tap tapping on her phone.... still you keep pretending it's going to last until she leaves you a note to say that she's found a new fella from South London who's drives a Mercedes... it's not you, it's me.

Thanks for the memories!
The end of the beginning — Column on 11:04 - Aug 28 with 5000 viewsterryb

The end of the beginning — Column on 12:38 - Aug 28 with 4593 viewspaulparker

Good write up but don’t know why you keep throwing the lads race into it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The end of the beginning — Column on 12:45 - Aug 28 with 4566 viewsNorthernr

The end of the beginning — Column on 12:38 - Aug 28 by paulparker

Because IMO black players get the "lazy" tag far quicker and more often than other players, in the same way they're more often described as "powerful" than white players. QPR's support base is more diverse than most, and we're way ahead of other clubs on that and racism, equality and everything else, however that period of time was bit of case in point.

The whole team was circling the drain, we didn't win a league game for months, you had people like Hemed phoning it in with nobody saying a thing about it, but Eze got the "lazy" stuff, "doesn't do enough, doesn't work hard enough". Got done 3-0 at Brentford, played abysmally, the whole team, and I'm sitting there listening to a bloke caning Eze for not running enough, not trying enough, not tackling enough, being lazy. Was Freeman doing much that day? Or Luongo? Or Bidwell? No. But Eze's lazy.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

The end of the beginning — Column on 12:49 - Aug 28 with 4540 viewsParkRoyalR

The end of the beginning — Column on 12:38 - Aug 28 by paulparker

I think if you read another R's forum occasionally you will see the lads race did draw stereotypical nonsense from a small but vocal cohort of our support about being lazy, dont know what he does blah blah blah - our catchment area does crossover with Chelsea's and a very small minority of our support are similarly minded to some their finest.
The end of the beginning — Column on 13:10 - Aug 28 with 4443 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Brilliant writing about a brilliant player so good luck to him at CP.Hope he is a regular in the starting line up as a nod to his incredible talent ,as I have the PL package and Palace are featured regularly so fingers crossed .
The end of the beginning — Column on 14:17 - Aug 28 with 4175 viewspaulparker

The end of the beginning — Column on 12:45 - Aug 28 by Northernr

Because IMO black players get the "lazy" tag far quicker and more often than other players, in the same way they're more often described as "powerful" than white players. QPR's support base is more diverse than most, and we're way ahead of other clubs on that and racism, equality and everything else, however that period of time was bit of case in point.

The whole team was circling the drain, we didn't win a league game for months, you had people like Hemed phoning it in with nobody saying a thing about it, but Eze got the "lazy" stuff, "doesn't do enough, doesn't work hard enough". Got done 3-0 at Brentford, played abysmally, the whole team, and I'm sitting there listening to a bloke caning Eze for not running enough, not trying enough, not tackling enough, being lazy. Was Freeman doing much that day? Or Luongo? Or Bidwell? No. But Eze's lazy.

QPR fans have always got on players backs down the years no matter if your black or white
Mark Falco
Colin Clarke
Mike fillery
Adel Taraabt
Trevor Francis
Akos
Have all had the “your a lazy bar steward “ line thrown at them down the years , imo your wrong to bring race into it , we are can be a strange bunch us rangers fans but to suggest we call a player lazy because he is black is totally wrong Eze might have got the stick that day because he is our best player & when your best player doesn’t turn up he gets flack that’s football , messi gets it , Ronaldo gets it , football is a fickle buisness these days
As for your point about Black midfield Power Houses yeah that’s true but then do we stereotype all Limted centrebacks as thick as Sh1t no nonesense northerners It seems to work both ways

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The end of the beginning — Column on 14:19 - Aug 28 with 4172 viewsNorthernr

The end of the beginning — Column on 14:17 - Aug 28 by paulparker

QPR fans have always got on players backs down the years no matter if your black or white
Mark Falco
Colin Clarke
Mike fillery
Adel Taraabt
Trevor Francis
Akos
Have all had the “your a lazy bar steward “ line thrown at them down the years , imo your wrong to bring race into it , we are can be a strange bunch us rangers fans but to suggest we call a player lazy because he is black is totally wrong Eze might have got the stick that day because he is our best player & when your best player doesn’t turn up he gets flack that’s football , messi gets it , Ronaldo gets it , football is a fickle buisness these days
As for your point about Black midfield Power Houses yeah that’s true but then do we stereotype all Limted centrebacks as thick as Sh1t no nonesense northerners It seems to work both ways

Good points. Like I say, speaking generally. QPR are streets ahead of most clubs on this stuff.

The end of the beginning — Column on 14:48 - Aug 28 with 4048 viewsPinnerPaul

Good piece Clive.

Can he be a player who finally goes on and proves he can make it at the top.

So many we think, will and just don't seem to even get the chance - Mr Freeman for example.

One point you didn't address - do you think it will make any difference if Hodgson leaves at some stage?

If Zaha leaves and they don't buy someone who can actually score, there is always the chance Roy will lose interest and leave?
The end of the beginning — Column on 14:51 - Aug 28 with 4040 viewspaulparker

The end of the beginning — Column on 14:19 - Aug 28 by Northernr

Good points. Like I say, speaking generally. QPR are streets ahead of most clubs on this stuff.

That I agree with & long may it continue

The end of the beginning — Column on 15:02 - Aug 28 with 4005 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The end of the beginning — Column on 11:00 - Aug 28 by NorthLondonR

Great read.. i sum it up as like a relationship where you just know its starting to fizzle out, as you both spend more and more nights out with work colleagues and she's going shopping with her mates on the Saturday, before having drinks, then the Sunday afternoon netflix session on the sofa turns into you turning round from being absorbed in the film, to find her tap tapping on her phone.... still you keep pretending it's going to last until she leaves you a note to say that she's found a new fella from South London who's drives a Mercedes... it's not you, it's me.

Thanks for the memories!

Look, I have apologised about that so many times. You need to let it go.

I have traded the merc in for an Aston Martin now by the way.
The end of the beginning — Column on 15:22 - Aug 28 with 3932 viewsNorthernr

The end of the beginning — Column on 14:51 - Aug 28 by paulparker

That I agree with & long may it continue

Mate let me have a better swing at a reply, because your post was good and it got me thinking.

I almost deleted that stuff from the piece this morning because I didn't really want to get into a debate exactly like this but it's there now so I should try and defend it. It makes me uncomfortable, as a white middle class lad, talking about it so I usually just leave it but I did think it was an important part of his time at QPR andI left it in and should explain why. It's also hypocritical of me to delete all the politics and BLM stuff off the message board but then sling a little line like that into a piece. And your reply is good and deserves better than "speaking generally..."

Do I think QPR supporters are racist, or the club has a racism problem. Absolutely fcking not. Let's get that clear right at the start. I remember Podcast Flo tried to address this Eze issue at the time on Twitter and did so in a rather broad brush strokes way that made it look like she said that and she got absolutely battered for weeks so I want to be really clear. If you look around our support at games, yeh it's male and pale like all football crowds in this country, but it's more diverse than almost anywhere else in the league as far as I can see. We've been accepting of players and people of all backgrounds, never had the problems that Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton had historically as far as I've ever been aware. I wouldn't stand among a group of racist people.

However, as with every group, there is a minority there. It's a tiny minority at QPR, miniscule compared to most clubs, but I have stood in away ends at Luton and Oldham and heard songs about "you mum runs a corner shop". I was in the away end at West Ham a few years ago when a group behind us started singing "Loic Remy Remy, he swings from a fcking tree, he eats with his fcking feet" after he'd gone to Chelsea. Now what happened that day is everybody around them in the away end immediately stopped watching the game, got stuck into them, and told them to pack that the fck in. Which is great. Backs up the point about not having a racist support base. But also, that there is a minority in there that think that sort of thing funny, or acceptable. You only need look around QPR twitter during this BLM movement, the taking of the knee and things like that. Ilias Chair retweets some cartoon along the lines of "if a Muslim kills somebody he's a terrorist, if a white person kills somebody he's got mental health issues" and there are QPR accounts saying he should be fined, sacked, never play for the club again. So it is there, albeit in a tiny minority compared to most other clubs.

The Eze lazy stuff made me uncomfortable for three reasons. 1 - it's not true. He's gone from QPR's U23s to a £20m player in four years. It's not fcking true. 2 - I don't think it's a debate that black players get accused of being lazy, and powerful, more than white players do. John Barnes for England back in the day, classic example. Is it exclusively black players? No, you've pointed that out really well. But there is that tendency there, in general. 3 - There was a non-black player in that team, Tomer Hemed, at exactly the same time, contributing far less, phoning in sick for four months over the winter, going through the motions, with far more experience, costing us far more money, who nobody said a thing about at the same time as I'm hearing "lazy" about a kid of 20 with 60 first team appearances under his belt.

So that's why it's in there, but also why it's only three lines in a 3,000 word piece. I thought it was a thing, from a minority, and a part of his time here, and something worth raising.
The end of the beginning — Column on 16:35 - Aug 28 with 3689 viewstoboboly

The end of the beginning — Column on 15:22 - Aug 28 by Northernr

Mate let me have a better swing at a reply, because your post was good and it got me thinking.

I almost deleted that stuff from the piece this morning because I didn't really want to get into a debate exactly like this but it's there now so I should try and defend it. It makes me uncomfortable, as a white middle class lad, talking about it so I usually just leave it but I did think it was an important part of his time at QPR andI left it in and should explain why. It's also hypocritical of me to delete all the politics and BLM stuff off the message board but then sling a little line like that into a piece. And your reply is good and deserves better than "speaking generally..."

Do I think QPR supporters are racist, or the club has a racism problem. Absolutely fcking not. Let's get that clear right at the start. I remember Podcast Flo tried to address this Eze issue at the time on Twitter and did so in a rather broad brush strokes way that made it look like she said that and she got absolutely battered for weeks so I want to be really clear. If you look around our support at games, yeh it's male and pale like all football crowds in this country, but it's more diverse than almost anywhere else in the league as far as I can see. We've been accepting of players and people of all backgrounds, never had the problems that Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton had historically as far as I've ever been aware. I wouldn't stand among a group of racist people.

However, as with every group, there is a minority there. It's a tiny minority at QPR, miniscule compared to most clubs, but I have stood in away ends at Luton and Oldham and heard songs about "you mum runs a corner shop". I was in the away end at West Ham a few years ago when a group behind us started singing "Loic Remy Remy, he swings from a fcking tree, he eats with his fcking feet" after he'd gone to Chelsea. Now what happened that day is everybody around them in the away end immediately stopped watching the game, got stuck into them, and told them to pack that the fck in. Which is great. Backs up the point about not having a racist support base. But also, that there is a minority in there that think that sort of thing funny, or acceptable. You only need look around QPR twitter during this BLM movement, the taking of the knee and things like that. Ilias Chair retweets some cartoon along the lines of "if a Muslim kills somebody he's a terrorist, if a white person kills somebody he's got mental health issues" and there are QPR accounts saying he should be fined, sacked, never play for the club again. So it is there, albeit in a tiny minority compared to most other clubs.

The Eze lazy stuff made me uncomfortable for three reasons. 1 - it's not true. He's gone from QPR's U23s to a £20m player in four years. It's not fcking true. 2 - I don't think it's a debate that black players get accused of being lazy, and powerful, more than white players do. John Barnes for England back in the day, classic example. Is it exclusively black players? No, you've pointed that out really well. But there is that tendency there, in general. 3 - There was a non-black player in that team, Tomer Hemed, at exactly the same time, contributing far less, phoning in sick for four months over the winter, going through the motions, with far more experience, costing us far more money, who nobody said a thing about at the same time as I'm hearing "lazy" about a kid of 20 with 60 first team appearances under his belt.

So that's why it's in there, but also why it's only three lines in a 3,000 word piece. I thought it was a thing, from a minority, and a part of his time here, and something worth raising.

Well put.

Only racist stuff I can remember hearing was anti-semitic about Yossi Benayoun at Ipswich away. It only lasted a minute or so from a small group of lads and I was very surprised to hear it.

I think a lot of the "lazy" comments, at least around me in the upper loft, was more his laconic and languid demeanour as opposed to a box to box Dom Ball meets Martin Rowlands style. Mainly older blokes and the sort who coat off half of our decent players. It wasn't his position to be doing that and I hope they all realise what a special talent we were able to watch, this year in particular.

Good luck for the future Ebere and thank you for everything you did during your time here.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

The end of the beginning — Column on 16:36 - Aug 28 with 3686 viewsstevec

Fitting write up on Eze, class player and wish him well.

Shame it’s Palace, it’s about time his seasonal Win/Loss ratio went positive and it won’t happen there.

Seems we do this about once every 25 years and it determines our destiny for the next 25 years.
Let’s hope for a Marsh = Bowles + Givens + Thomas rather than a Ferdinand = Ned Zelic.
The end of the beginning — Column on 16:44 - Aug 28 with 3642 viewsNewBee

"If you’ve ever been into somebody for a really long period of time, and never done anything about it, and spent literally years in that state, loving everything about them and holding them at the centre of your world without them ever knowing, only occasionally allowing yourself to dream of what it might be like to finally give in... ... and very slowly, very gently, very cautiously, reach out and touch... ... for the first time… that first touch would be about three tenths as good as Eze’s is. Every. Single. Time."

But that's enough about your first w a n k, who do you reckon should QPR sign instead of Eze?

Seriously, though, very interesting piece and I look forward to QPR finding another gem for a couple of million, say, polishing him and in a couple of seasons selling him for £20m...

.... to Brentford
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 16:50]
The end of the beginning — Column on 17:02 - Aug 28 with 3571 viewspaulparker

Cheers for the reply Clive

Me personally I’ve only heard anything racial 3 times of going to QPR in 37 years and two of them was Chelsea & West Ham in the 80s
Now that’s not to say we don’t have a minority of course we do but I think QPR fans slagging off players goes far deeper than a race issue, I’ve got to say we are a strange bunch as one minute your a god here to your a fcuking useless prat after a misplaced pass, look at the abuse Cerny got on his debut that was awful
I think Gerry Francis has said in the past the players need to lift the fans here as we don’t get going until the players do and he is right we are a right Moaning bunch
As for the BLM I think we as a society need to move on from his black, his gay , his Asian etc otherwise we will never move on , I think the media have a lot to answer for (not you) In stoking it up the majority of us just want to get a long in life , we also live in a society that your judged on what you post on Twitter it’s madness really
Some of our cult hero’s at this club have been black, Shittu ,Hazel, Furlong, Parker, MaddoixLes ,I don’t see anything than a sound bloke who gave a 100 % to the shirt and I think that goes for all QPR fans
Anyway I’m droaning on from the subject but good luck to Eze

The end of the beginning — Column on 17:08 - Aug 28 with 3535 viewsEsox_Lucius

The end of the beginning — Column on 16:44 - Aug 28 by NewBee

"If you’ve ever been into somebody for a really long period of time, and never done anything about it, and spent literally years in that state, loving everything about them and holding them at the centre of your world without them ever knowing, only occasionally allowing yourself to dream of what it might be like to finally give in... ... and very slowly, very gently, very cautiously, reach out and touch... ... for the first time… that first touch would be about three tenths as good as Eze’s is. Every. Single. Time."

But that's enough about your first w a n k, who do you reckon should QPR sign instead of Eze?

Seriously, though, very interesting piece and I look forward to QPR finding another gem for a couple of million, say, polishing him and in a couple of seasons selling him for £20m...

.... to Brentford
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 16:50]

Hold your breath until Amrit Bansal-McNulty is fully cooked to perfection.

The grass is always greener.

The end of the beginning — Column on 17:17 - Aug 28 with 3518 viewssilverbirch

The end of the beginning — Column on 10:49 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

"If you’ve ever been into somebody for a really long period of time, and never done anything about it, and spent literally years in that state, loving everything about them and holding them at the centre of your world without them ever knowing, only occasionally allowing yourself to dream of what it might be like to finally give in, confess, find out they feel the same way, and very slowly, very gently, very cautiously, reach out and touch each other’s fingers for the first time… that first touch would be about three tenths as good as Eze’s is. Every. Single. Time."

I've read that about ten times now. And I'm not getting tired of it yet.

Hard to do justice to a talent like Eze's. Luckily, we have you.

Sent that bit to my mates, non-QPR and non football. Brilliant
The end of the beginning — Column on 17:26 - Aug 28 with 3485 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The end of the beginning — Column on 17:17 - Aug 28 by silverbirch

Sent that bit to my mates, non-QPR and non football. Brilliant

Me too, SB.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The end of the beginning — Column on 17:55 - Aug 28 with 3375 viewsNW5Hoop

The end of the beginning — Column on 14:19 - Aug 28 by Northernr

Les bloody Ferdinand got it, when he was scoring 20 a season.

The attitude of black players is disproportionately questioned across all football. Of course, lots of players get called lazy (by people who never even run for a bus) or immature or not up for it, but it is obvious to anyone that it happens more to black players than white players. Still happens to Raheem Sterling, who has quite plainly worked incredibly hard at his game and incredibly hard during games. And it happens at QPR just as it happens everywhere else — at other clubs, in the press, on TV. Not involving large numbers of fans, but involving enough fans.

Sadly, it's one of those things that needs to be pointed out. Over and over again.

On a wider point, elsewhere in the thread, someone says being black or Asian or whatever shouldn't matter. The thing is, if you are black or Asian or whatever, it does matter, because it is common to get treated differently in lots of different ways. That's why there have been so many interviews with black footballers recently talking about their direct experiences of racism in life and in professional football. It's not up to us as white people to say skin colour doesn't matter. It's up to people who have suffered racism to say when they feel their skin colour no longer matters. Pretending it doesn't allows racism to continue, sadly.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 18:03]
The end of the beginning — Column on 18:55 - Aug 28 with 3241 viewsHarbour

Totally agree Norf heard that comment lazy about Eze a few times and Ned before him it’s disgusting. Thankfully the few idiots mouthing it in the minority.

Good luck Ebere thanks for the fantastic memories I hope you do well in the premiership.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024