Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy of The Rovers 14:12 - May 28 with 4804 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Did we all read it?

'The Safest Hands in Soccer' was my favourite strip. Gordon was the business and might well be the reason I became a goalie. Sometimes they'd put him up front for corners and the clown would forget where he was and catch the ball, but generally he was as cool as ice.

'Billy's Boots' was nonsense.
Billy was a useless fcuker, to be fair.
He was shite at football, found these priceless boots that made him brilliant, but would still lose the boots almost every single shagging week.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Roy of The Rovers on 14:32 - May 28 with 3251 viewsBoston

Wasn’t a reader of that publication.
[Post edited 28 May 2021 14:32]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Roy of The Rovers on 14:37 - May 28 with 3238 viewsQPRSteve

I used to love the names of the opposition clubs - Everpool and Oldcastle spring to mind. Why they never played Chelscum is a mystery.

Do you remember another football strip called Legge's Eleven? Was in the Valiant I think.

Best sporting strip as to be Tough of the Track - about runner All Tupper sticking it up all those posh boys.
Roy of The Rovers on 14:41 - May 28 with 3232 viewsA40Bosh

Yes Brian,

Gordon Stewart was my hero as a youngster and maybe also the reason I always loved being in goal too.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Roy of The Rovers on 14:51 - May 28 with 3220 viewsBoston

Roy of The Rovers on 14:37 - May 28 by QPRSteve

I used to love the names of the opposition clubs - Everpool and Oldcastle spring to mind. Why they never played Chelscum is a mystery.

Do you remember another football strip called Legge's Eleven? Was in the Valiant I think.

Best sporting strip as to be Tough of the Track - about runner All Tupper sticking it up all those posh boys.

Was Alf Tupper in RoR then? If so I did read it a couple of times.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Roy of The Rovers on 15:05 - May 28 with 3183 viewsMick_S

Played for England, as well.

Hair by one of The Nolan Sisters.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Roy of The Rovers on 15:09 - May 28 with 3177 viewssoops

It was Billy’s Nan that kept throwing his boots out, God bless her the daft old bat!
Also loved the Kid from Argentina and Hotshot Hamish and Mighty Mouse - I think the last 2 were in Tiger & Scorcher but seem to recall it merged with Roy of the Rovers in later years.
Roy of The Rovers on 15:13 - May 28 with 3171 viewsMick_S

Roy of The Rovers on 15:09 - May 28 by soops

It was Billy’s Nan that kept throwing his boots out, God bless her the daft old bat!
Also loved the Kid from Argentina and Hotshot Hamish and Mighty Mouse - I think the last 2 were in Tiger & Scorcher but seem to recall it merged with Roy of the Rovers in later years.

I think the great man may have started his career in Tiger. He had proper hair then, too.

Roy of The Rovers on 15:15 - May 28 with 3167 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy of The Rovers on 15:09 - May 28 by soops

Hmmm.... I may have been harsh on Billy, so.

Login to get fewer ads

Roy of The Rovers on 15:25 - May 28 with 3142 viewsMick_S

Oh well, that’s this thread fecked, then.

Roy of The Rovers on 15:28 - May 28 with 3135 viewshantssi

Brian, are you sure it wasn’t Billy the Fish?
Roy of The Rovers on 15:31 - May 28 with 3125 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy of The Rovers on 15:28 - May 28 by hantssi

Brian, are you sure it wasn’t Billy the Fish?

BTF was a complicated character.

Roy of The Rovers on 15:35 - May 28 with 3113 viewshantssi

Roy of The Rovers on 15:31 - May 28 by BrianMcCarthy

BTF was a complicated character.

He always had the latest Hoddle and Waddle hair cut!
I bet you look good with a mullet Bri!
Roy of The Rovers on 15:37 - May 28 with 3110 viewsTomS

I always thought that Blackie never got the credit he deserved. He did all the hard work and delivered all those crosses on a sixpence for the cult hero. All Roy had to do was put the ball in the back of the net.
Roy of The Rovers on 15:41 - May 28 with 3100 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy of The Rovers on 15:37 - May 28 by TomS

I always thought that Blackie never got the credit he deserved. He did all the hard work and delivered all those crosses on a sixpence for the cult hero. All Roy had to do was put the ball in the back of the net.

Blackie was Melchester's Simon Barker - hard-working stalwart with serious skills but curiously underappreciated.

Roy of The Rovers on 15:42 - May 28 with 3098 viewsHayesender

Not only read it, I even had the kit

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Roy of The Rovers on 15:56 - May 28 with 3068 viewsterryb

Roy of The Rovers on 14:51 - May 28 by Boston

Was Alf Tupper in RoR then? If so I did read it a couple of times.

I think Alf was in The Hotspur, but it might have been The Victory.

I had a strong dislike for Melchester Rovers. In my mind they were Manchester United using a different name!
Roy of The Rovers on 15:57 - May 28 with 3060 viewsMrSheen

I was fine with the kidnappings and plane crashes, but signing the Kemp brothers?

FTOOOM!
Roy of The Rovers on 16:13 - May 28 with 3041 viewshantssi

Roy of The Rovers on 15:42 - May 28 by Hayesender

Not only read it, I even had the kit

Me too!
Think I got it from TOFFS.
Roy of The Rovers on 17:06 - May 28 with 2975 viewsHantsR

But what a sad, bizarre end for Mr Race, losing his left foot in a helicopter crash
Roy of The Rovers on 18:12 - May 28 with 2901 viewssoops

Charlie ‘the cat’ Carter, Duncan McKay, Vic Guthrie, Blackie Gray, Roy Race -what a spine!!
Roy of The Rovers on 18:15 - May 28 with 2896 viewsjtuck

Roy of The Rovers on 15:56 - May 28 by terryb

I think Alf was in The Hotspur, but it might have been The Victory.

I had a strong dislike for Melchester Rovers. In my mind they were Manchester United using a different name!

Alf Tupper, a true track hero who lived on a diet of fish and chips and worked as a lorry driver, was in The Victor comic. Every issue featured a front and backbpage strip with the story of someone who won the Victoria Cross in combat.

LAranger

Roy of The Rovers on 18:16 - May 28 with 2896 viewsGloryHunter

James Milner has always made me think of Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track.
Roy of The Rovers on 18:20 - May 28 with 2891 viewsR_from_afar

Do you remember "Millionaire Villa"? A useless footballer who also happens to be loaded agrees to buy a cash-strapped football club, on the proviso that he gets to play in the first team.

It's a good thing Flavio didn't read Roy of the Rovers!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Roy of The Rovers on 18:27 - May 28 with 2884 viewsMyke

Used to love RotR. Every Saturday that comic (which are now called 'graphic magazines- which always makes me feel uneasy) and a packet of silvermints was my 'pocket- money' in the late 60's early 70'
Roy of The Rovers on 18:29 - May 28 with 2880 viewsAddinall

Showing my age here. The comics in my day were mostly in text. Wizard,Rover,Hotspur and Adventure. Can remember Limp along Leslie and Napper Todd. Only team I remember was Ironside Rovers. I remember the teams from different titles playing each other.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024