Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Highlights and stream Quality 11:01 - Aug 3 with 2428 viewsHooping_Mad

While the football side of the club have clearly got their act together going in the season and appear to have worked tirelessly to put a decent squad together, The media/contract side of the club seem to be a step or two behind.

9 years ago (if I remember correctly) we used 'ustream' for a preseason campaign and it worked quite well if memory serves me. For actual no cost to fans in watching ads or paying £5. Fast forward 2 promotion campaigns and plenty of parachute monies blown on questionable players and have we just refunded the last two preseason friendlies due to the ongoing 'technical' issues.

We even had to refund people on a broadcaster 'Recast' that the games was meant to be free on as we managed to find a way to screw fans £5 to skip ads on a 'free' site.

Leicester currently have a 6 minute highlight vid on YouTube that includes the build up to our first goal, where we have a 2 minute package that cuts it out, I can't help feeling that is in the hope to drive fans to sign up for yet another streaming service with the club itself.

Incompetence and greed to do not appear well when sat side by side but here we are with the best chance of at the very an least entertaining season in which the club seems determined to keep as much of behind a paywall that may or may not work on the day.

Glad the team is sorted but how has the media side of the club and it's relationship with supporters slipped so far?

This isn't a Lee Hoo's out thread or meant to be a dig I'm just mystified how the club seem to think it can keep altering its relationship with the fans on a whim while expecting us all to lap it up.

Supporters and fans deserve some respect from their clubs after the madness of recent times, screwing us out of free preseason matches and posting joke highlights clips isn't the best example of this. Just my opinion.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:02 - Aug 3 with 2411 viewsdaveB

The coverage of games was superb last season imo, hopefully that continues next season
Highlights and stream Quality on 11:05 - Aug 3 with 2395 viewsHooping_Mad

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:02 - Aug 3 by daveB

The coverage of games was superb last season imo, hopefully that continues next season

Sinton on commentary is delightful, he's such a nice guy.

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:06 - Aug 3 with 2388 viewstoboboly

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:02 - Aug 3 by daveB

A bit disingenuous of the club to say "the only place to see xxx game is on recast/QPR player" and then have a far superior feed from free on the opposition Youtube channel though.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:11 - Aug 3 with 2371 viewsNorthernr

Yeh it's been a bit of a shambles pre-season. TBF to them I was dreading the lockdown with every QPR fan trying to stream the same game but I never had a problem, the coverage was good and bar one or two matches like Wycombe away last year it seems just about everybody had the same experience. So hopefully this is just trying a few things out in pre-season.

From the club's point of view I can see the attraction of something like Recast, that enables them to monetise their content. At the moment the media output is all spend for no return, whereas obviously commercial, merchandise, ticketing etc will all have very stringent targets to meet. It makes them vulnerable to cuts, or if they're asking for new hires or equipment, so finding a way to actually start putting some money back into the club is great for them. But I don't particularly like the club forcing you into a partnership with a third party to see stuff like highlights which were free before, or actual games. And I especially don't like it when it's a new start up thing that clearly isn't yet able to cope, even with the numbers for a pre-season friendly at Cambridge. Recast doesn't even have a functioning desktop version, it's really only much use if you're watching on a phone or a tablet, which I should imagine is not how most people stream the QPR games.

Like I say, hopefully just experimenting and teething problems in pre-season and back to normal next week.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Highlights and stream Quality on 11:15 - Aug 3 with 2358 viewsA40Bosh

Whilst some people seem to have ongoing issues last year with getting access to the official stream and unstable comms I have to say that personally last year was brilliant

I think I would have watched at least 42 of our 46 games via QPR+ and I can only think or one or two occasions (both home and away) where there was a delay in getting the commentary from Nick London and Andy Sinton working. In fact what was strange was that there was obviously microphones switched on somewhere because you could see the game and hear some background noise inside the stadium, so I reckon the two old boys had just taken too long to get up to the gantry and get in position after a pregame pint and a pee :-)

When I was in Ireland I was at a county hurling match during the Man U game and did not subscribe and then for the Cambridge game i did pay a fiver (which I believe they have since refunded) but i found the new media company who were broadcasting it through the site made it unwatchable on my iPhone as the whole layout was rubbish.

I suspect that the media team at LR have contracted with a different supplier who has promised them a guaranteed quality streaming product but yet again there are teething problems. I also find it a bit fickle of the club to say that for the Leicester game they were giving back £2.50 because half the comms was missing. If the product is crap just bite the bullet and refund everyone the full cost - that will mean more in goodwill than saving a couple of thousand in revenue loss through refunds

We will see what the first allowed away game broadcasts are like - hopefully the teething problems will be resolved!!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:24 - Aug 3 with 2323 viewsHooping_Mad

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:11 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Yeh it's been a bit of a shambles pre-season. TBF to them I was dreading the lockdown with every QPR fan trying to stream the same game but I never had a problem, the coverage was good and bar one or two matches like Wycombe away last year it seems just about everybody had the same experience. So hopefully this is just trying a few things out in pre-season.

From the club's point of view I can see the attraction of something like Recast, that enables them to monetise their content. At the moment the media output is all spend for no return, whereas obviously commercial, merchandise, ticketing etc will all have very stringent targets to meet. It makes them vulnerable to cuts, or if they're asking for new hires or equipment, so finding a way to actually start putting some money back into the club is great for them. But I don't particularly like the club forcing you into a partnership with a third party to see stuff like highlights which were free before, or actual games. And I especially don't like it when it's a new start up thing that clearly isn't yet able to cope, even with the numbers for a pre-season friendly at Cambridge. Recast doesn't even have a functioning desktop version, it's really only much use if you're watching on a phone or a tablet, which I should imagine is not how most people stream the QPR games.

Like I say, hopefully just experimenting and teething problems in pre-season and back to normal next week.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Thanks for your reply, what do you feel about the highlights quality?

The 2 minutes on YouTube v Leicster are not well put together and missed the build up to our first goal, even LFC put it in theirs.

I just don't understand why the club think we won't watch the highlights package from the oppostion club when it's 3 times longer and includes the best bits?

Calling a 6 goal vid 'highlights' when in reality it isn't highlights just replays of the goals is a bit daft.

I just think we're overdoing it a bit in the generate revenue from clips that can be found free if you look for them.

Fingers crossed things do return to normal, whatever that is......Lol

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:25 - Aug 3 with 2316 viewsdaveB

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:06 - Aug 3 by toboboly

A bit disingenuous of the club to say "the only place to see xxx game is on recast/QPR player" and then have a far superior feed from free on the opposition Youtube channel though.

yeah true but they can't control what Leicester were doing and they have around 90 million of tv money a season so can afford to give pre season games away for free. They usually charge when they go abroad.
Highlights and stream Quality on 11:30 - Aug 3 with 2296 viewsaston_hoop

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:24 - Aug 3 by Hooping_Mad

Thanks for your reply, what do you feel about the highlights quality?

The 2 minutes on YouTube v Leicster are not well put together and missed the build up to our first goal, even LFC put it in theirs.

I just don't understand why the club think we won't watch the highlights package from the oppostion club when it's 3 times longer and includes the best bits?

Calling a 6 goal vid 'highlights' when in reality it isn't highlights just replays of the goals is a bit daft.

I just think we're overdoing it a bit in the generate revenue from clips that can be found free if you look for them.

Fingers crossed things do return to normal, whatever that is......Lol

For every game last season the club did put up extended 10 minute or so highlights videos, no reason to think they won't do it again this season. For the Utd and Cambridge game, you can see the goals or the full 90 minutes. I guess they didn't feel there was a need to make longer highlights videos for pre-season.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:30 - Aug 3 with 2293 viewsrsonist

I don't understand this need to over-dramatize technical issues (which yes do need sorting) into this apocalyptic narrative of the club greedily and contemptuously screwing us into a yoof paywall gulag or whatever. The media team were magnificent over lockdown and beyond, now they're immediately all evil chisellers because the plumbing fcked up a bit. Do me a lemon.

Where has it been stated that match highlights have been forcibly taken away from you and will now be exclusive to Recast? They've made it clear throughout that it's a trial run option they'll be doing alongside current avenues - "with a view to" expanding further down the line dependent on its success.
Highlights and stream Quality on 12:45 - Aug 3 with 2185 viewsE17hoop

Statement on Recast on the official website:
https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/club-statement-recast-020821/

In summary, Recast f****d up, they'll be fixing it, we'll be using QPR+ until things get good.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Highlights and stream Quality on 12:51 - Aug 3 with 2171 viewsNorthernr

Think there's a statement imminent confirming the streaming arrangements are going back to pre-pandemic situation i.e. no live QPR games if you're in the UK and Ireland unless we're on Sky (or you've got a good VPN).
Highlights and stream Quality on 13:04 - Aug 3 with 2137 viewsJuzzie

Looks like ReCast have just had their Ratner moment.
Highlights and stream Quality on 13:26 - Aug 3 with 2081 viewsrsonist

Highlights and stream Quality on 13:04 - Aug 3 by Juzzie

How's that?
Highlights and stream Quality on 13:32 - Aug 3 with 2064 viewsHooping_Mad

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:30 - Aug 3 by rsonist

I don't understand this need to over-dramatize technical issues (which yes do need sorting) into this apocalyptic narrative of the club greedily and contemptuously screwing us into a yoof paywall gulag or whatever. The media team were magnificent over lockdown and beyond, now they're immediately all evil chisellers because the plumbing fcked up a bit. Do me a lemon.

Where has it been stated that match highlights have been forcibly taken away from you and will now be exclusive to Recast? They've made it clear throughout that it's a trial run option they'll be doing alongside current avenues - "with a view to" expanding further down the line dependent on its success.

I agree, I don't think I've over dramatized the thread.

Just interested to see what others think, when some are worried about low attendances go in to the first game.

Just feel we could have done a lot better across the board re fan interest, and maybe a discussion on here may just have an effect.

On the highlight issue, I don't have the time to re-watch plus live football v recorded games just isn't the same for me.

6 goals in 2 mins isn't really a highlights package it's a goals package labelled incorrectly.

I don't see the negative to a sensible discussion on a fans forum.

Highlights and stream Quality on 13:37 - Aug 3 with 2052 viewsMatch82

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:30 - Aug 3 by aston_hoop

For every game last season the club did put up extended 10 minute or so highlights videos, no reason to think they won't do it again this season. For the Utd and Cambridge game, you can see the goals or the full 90 minutes. I guess they didn't feel there was a need to make longer highlights videos for pre-season.

I thought those ten minute highlight videos were the perfect length, really hope those come back. Would agree with the general consensus that coverage last year was fantastic all things considered. This year is off to a rough start but I'd far rather have it happen now than during the season proper
Highlights and stream Quality on 13:37 - Aug 3 with 2052 viewsfrancisbowles

Highlights and stream Quality on 12:51 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Think there's a statement imminent confirming the streaming arrangements are going back to pre-pandemic situation i.e. no live QPR games if you're in the UK and Ireland unless we're on Sky (or you've got a good VPN).

If I remember correctly we could access midweek red button games before lockdown.
Highlights and stream Quality on 14:04 - Aug 3 with 2015 viewsPinnerPaul

Highlights and stream Quality on 11:30 - Aug 3 by aston_hoop

The 10 minutes highlights last season were provided by the EFL.

Considering we also get money from the broadcast contract (obviously), its not true to say that QPR don't get money for their content.

Presume they keep some of the overseas subscribers money as well.

Good for the club to have put out statements addressing the Recast situation and the refund offer for Leicester as well.
Highlights and stream Quality on 20:44 - Aug 3 with 1878 viewsJuzzie

Highlights and stream Quality on 13:26 - Aug 3 by rsonist

How's that?

You don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression.
Highlights and stream Quality on 21:37 - Aug 3 with 1835 viewsjoolsyp

As an expat living in Canada I have to say I was generally pleased with the stream quality (and commentary obviously) of QPR+ last season. Their customer service and handling of my account and payment on the other hand left a lot to be desired.

As for Recast, I understand the club see it as a potential revenue generating opportunity but I hope that's not at the expense of the service. As somebody pointed out they don't yet have a version that works on desktop/laptop browsers and they don't have a native app to download from Apple/Google Play. Twice I tried it on my iPhone using mobile Safari and twice the video didn't work. I'd much rather pay £150 for a decent stream on QPR+ than fart around watching ads on some upstart platform.
Highlights and stream Quality on 21:49 - Aug 3 with 1824 viewsLythamR

Highlights and stream Quality on 21:37 - Aug 3 by joolsyp

As an expat living in Canada I have to say I was generally pleased with the stream quality (and commentary obviously) of QPR+ last season. Their customer service and handling of my account and payment on the other hand left a lot to be desired.

As for Recast, I understand the club see it as a potential revenue generating opportunity but I hope that's not at the expense of the service. As somebody pointed out they don't yet have a version that works on desktop/laptop browsers and they don't have a native app to download from Apple/Google Play. Twice I tried it on my iPhone using mobile Safari and twice the video didn't work. I'd much rather pay £150 for a decent stream on QPR+ than fart around watching ads on some upstart platform.

if only there were ads to watch to earn some credits, there has been one new advert this week for a maximum 30 credits, its a massive cock up. I wouldnt bank on Native versions anytime soon either as they would have to pay a % of any payments to Apple/Google

I also thought the QPR+ streams last year were fantastic and a major step forward from the occasions i have watched games previously while abroad and I really think the club do a pretty decent job in terms of content generation, but its no good producing great content if people cant view it without jumping through impossible hoops
Highlights and stream Quality on 23:50 - Aug 3 with 1765 viewsdaveB

Highlights and stream Quality on 13:37 - Aug 3 by francisbowles

If I remember correctly we could access midweek red button games before lockdown.

you still can, midweek games are available on QPR+
Highlights and stream Quality on 00:17 - Aug 4 with 1754 viewsrsonist

Highlights and stream Quality on 20:44 - Aug 3 by Juzzie

You don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Mmkay but that's not a "Ratner moment".
Highlights and stream Quality on 06:35 - Aug 4 with 1686 views80s_Boy

Highlights and stream Quality on 13:04 - Aug 3 by Juzzie

I think they'll be gone before Christmas.

After Cambridge it was accepted by both sides that the issues were 'one of those things' with no one to blame and yesterday's statement was unequivocally blaming Recast.
Highlights and stream Quality on 16:03 - Aug 4 with 1572 viewsChurchie

Hi I live in Turkey now and don't get back too often due to the current situation.

I usually watch the full 90 minutes on the replay for free. I wouldn't even mind paying something. But I use Chromecast to my Tv as the phone and Tablet are too small. QPR plus appears not to support Chomecast.
The intenet can be a bit iffy here so no point buying a live stream.

Am I right to assume it will all be only on QPR + this season?
[Post edited 4 Aug 2021 16:05]
Highlights and stream Quality on 16:09 - Aug 4 with 1557 viewsPinnerPaul

As I've said before, never had a problem with individual staff members.

Leicester refund processed within 14 minutes of sending email!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024