Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) 10:59 - Jun 22 with 6928 viewsHayesender

Well after 51 years in the Bush, minus a couple of years in Hayes end a few years ago, (hence the crappy username) the house sale has finally gone through, and tonight will be my last night in the home that's been the family home since 1966.

Now the day is finally here, I'm actually alot more emotional about it than I thought I would be. So many happy memories over the years.

Thankfully I've still got the excuse of QPR to come back every other week or so, but it won't be the same.

Anyone have any regrets about leaving London?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:05 - Jun 22 with 4872 viewsMoonshineSteve

Yes, and I didn't even properly leave as I'm still in a London borough. Grass is always greener and all that and if I weigh up the pluses and minuses then it's all to the good. Must be or I wouldn't have stayed. But still miss the best bits.

Where are you off to Dave?

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:10 - Jun 22 with 4845 viewsPhildo

I have been Sarf of the river for nearly 30 years but still regard the Bush as HQ. I find it a strange mix when back though of remnant of the place I grew up in mixed with a lot of posh people who were mostly to be found in Chiswick when I was a kid!
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:13 - Jun 22 with 4810 viewsHayesender

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:05 - Jun 22 by MoonshineSteve

Yes, and I didn't even properly leave as I'm still in a London borough. Grass is always greener and all that and if I weigh up the pluses and minuses then it's all to the good. Must be or I wouldn't have stayed. But still miss the best bits.

Where are you off to Dave?

I'll be renting for a couple of months a bit further out as I need to sort out work, but I'm looking to buy in Sussex or Hampshire.

Somewhere with good train links back into London

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:15 - Jun 22 with 4780 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best of luck with the move, Hayesender. Health and happiness in your new home.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:19 - Jun 22 with 4738 viewsdaveB

growing up I never wanted to leave London, I love how you can go from a great tourist spot, to a major shopping centre, busy night life or just a quiet walk along the river all within walking distance of each other.

I've lived in such glamourous locations as Middlesbrough, Reading and now Langley/Slough. None of them touch the sides of how much I love London but cost wise I could never afford to live there again.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:28 - Jun 22 with 4703 viewsdmm

I was dragged kicking and screaming away from Kensal Rise in the late 60s. I still miss Ladbroke Grove, the Gate and, of course, the Bush. Absolutely love going back.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:28 - Jun 22 with 4701 viewsHayesender

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:19 - Jun 22 by daveB

growing up I never wanted to leave London, I love how you can go from a great tourist spot, to a major shopping centre, busy night life or just a quiet walk along the river all within walking distance of each other.

I've lived in such glamourous locations as Middlesbrough, Reading and now Langley/Slough. None of them touch the sides of how much I love London but cost wise I could never afford to live there again.

The cost of living is the main reason for leaving. You get so much more for your money further out, although I've noticed the prices creeping up outside of London

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:40 - Jun 22 with 4607 viewsWirralHoop

6 years ago yesterday I collected the keys for my 1st home in Liverpool.
It was a very quick move but one that I wouldn't change for a moment.

Work/Life balance is so much better.
People generally more friendly.
I was lucky my salary wasn't changed.
Away games in the North are easier.
I've even found me a woman recently.

On the flip side
I miss my family.
Commute to Loftus Road is expensive.

No regrets, one of the best things I have ever done.
Login to get fewer ads

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:44 - Jun 22 with 4588 viewsqprxtc

Say it ain’t so Dave…

Good luck old son. You may leave The Bush but The Bush never leaves you.

Up St Stephens, The Coningham, The Pav and The Rangers.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:54 - Jun 22 with 4556 viewsJuzzie

Best of luck with the move. It will be emotional but onto better things I'm sure.

I grew up just off Portobello Road from birth in 1967 until around 1989 when I left the nest and moved to Watford for a couple of years, then Lewisham for a few more years, then Cricklewood for about 4 years then Chalk Farm for 15 years and finally the 'burbs not far from Twickenham rugby ground since 2014.
Each move was met with 'what will this be like?' and each one ended up being really good.
No regrets for any of them. Home is what you make it.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 12:17 - Jun 22 with 4466 viewsSnipper

Good luck Dave. You’re definitely doing the right thing.

I moved to Harefield in 2004, and have loved it up here. Only 30 minutes away from the metropolis as well. I’d never move back either. I’d go further out.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 12:23 - Jun 22 with 4426 viewsloftboy

Left London for Lowestoft just over a year ago, don’t regret a single minute of it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 12:43 - Jun 22 with 4347 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 12:23 - Jun 22 by loftboy

Left London for Lowestoft just over a year ago, don’t regret a single minute of it.

I managed to go the other way when my Dad got a job in Croydon when I was just six years old and we moved from Kings Lynn. Although I go back occasionally I am very happy here in Surrey and glad he got that job!
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 12:58 - Jun 22 with 4280 viewscyprusmel

For the first 11 years of my life I lived in Goldhawk Road W12 then to Park Royal NW10 onto Northolt then to Harrow Weald and then Bognor Regis and the final destination the Sunshine Island of Cyprus.
Never had regrets over any move.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 13:10 - Jun 22 with 4212 viewsDTIG

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 11:13 - Jun 22 by Hayesender

I'll be renting for a couple of months a bit further out as I need to sort out work, but I'm looking to buy in Sussex or Hampshire.

Somewhere with good train links back into London

I know I'm biased because I've lived here for ages but have a look at outer edges of Basingstoke.
Surrounded by beautiful countryside, plenty of new developments at significantly cheaper prices than surrounding areas (Winchester/Reading/Camberley), dead quick train into Waterloo (literally one stop on a lot of trains) and right on the M3.
Cinemas, golf courses galore, ice hockey team, aqua park etc etc.
Always worth a look in my opinion.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 13:24 - Jun 22 with 4166 viewsDannytheR

Grew up in Grove and the Bush, left London when I was in my early 30s and we wanted to start a family. "Need somewhere with a garden," "you get so much more for your money somewhere else", all that.

Never regretted anything so much. Came back with my tail between my legs two years later, took a big hit financially but it was the only thing for it. Wasn't *just* about missing the place, but have to say, a lot of it was.

Everyone has different experiences and I'm sure you'll be good as gold! But it wasn't for me. If I did ever leave again, it would be out of the country altogether.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 13:49 - Jun 22 with 4076 viewshantssi

Moved to Hampshire 30 years ago, live between Southampton and Portsmouth, beaches and South Downs on your doorstep, what’s not to like?!
Love coming back to London for footie/a day out but wouldn’t move back now even if we could afford it!
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 13:57 - Jun 22 with 4033 viewswood_hoop

Had been living in London all my life, born in St Stephens ( spitting distance of THAT team ) now flats I think, l have ived in Maida Vale and Hampstead, Camden Town, even the Elephant for a little while, married life and kids changed that, Herts now reside in Suffolk, so so true, tired of London tired of life.

Miss it plenty but luckier than most, county of Suffolk and even North Essex are lovely places, squirrels, deer loads of different kind of birds, havent the foggiest what type all come to my windows to share my bite size shreddies for breakfast, never see any foxes, I think the locals soon get rid if spotted, often hear the guns going off, so that or a mob in training for the next Brinks Mat !

Probably true very much what you make of it, good luck on your move, sure it will become a wise move in the end.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 14:57 - Jun 22 with 3876 viewsBoston

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Much of what I miss has gone.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 15:40 - Jun 22 with 3761 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Since 1990 I’ve spent few years traveling; roughly 10 years living outside of London (Brighton, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool); and then I started living overseas (US, Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Qatar and France).

Not for all, but you get a different view on the world and life. I don’t miss living in London but while I look forward to returning, I find I’m relieved when it’s time to leave. Somewhere along the way, I started to refer to London as where I was born, not my home.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 15:48 - Jun 22 with 3715 viewshubble

This is a poignant thread! Not least for those of us still here in old London town. In the last 15 years most of my friends and all of my family have moved out of London, in fact only today another mate, who lives just down the road in Maida Vale, told me she's moving to Twickers.

As Boz says, it ain't what it used to be, but I can't contemplate living anywhere else - I'd miss the buzz. I get out of town as often as possible, I think that's my way of getting the best of both worlds; at least twice a year I head to Cornwall for a couple of weeks. But even though I absolutely love the countryside, fresh air and nature, the sea... I'm a Londoner, innit.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 16:29 - Jun 22 with 3587 viewssuperhoopdownunder

No regrets.
Emigrated to Australia in late 1997 - fortunately most of my family now in Australia - we have a good life - only things I miss are my sister still in London, seeing friends and QPR.
I can watch QPR online but it's not the same as physically being there.
I chat to my sister and friends but it is not the same as being with them.

I have lots of great memories of my life in London. Different times but some incredible days especially watching QPR. The highs have been amazing.
I can close my eyes and remember lots of details from games from the 80's especially under Venables - my favourite manager.

U R's
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 16:29 - Jun 22 with 3585 viewsBostonR

Did you consider renting your property long-term? Rental values are insane plus your asset grows in value.
I still have a 3 bed apartment in W11 which I have rented for over 20yrs whilst I lived in the US. I live in the Chilterns now and do not miss London but I have great memories growing up in Ladbroke Grove.
Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 16:42 - Jun 22 with 3535 viewsitsbiga

I emigrated to Los Angeles 15 years ago.
Grew up originally in Hounslow in the 70's but moved to SW London in my teens, bounced around Brixton, Clapham, Stockwell area until the move to L.A.
Miss London a lot and love to go back for a visit but I also really like L.A so have no regrets.
If i was rich enough i'd have a house in both cities. No there yet tho!

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Leaving Shepherd's Bush (non QPR) on 17:03 - Jun 22 with 3487 viewssuperhoopdownunder

It was hard in the late 90's emigrating when we were mid table under Ray Hartford and just staying up - crap internet, new country (Australia), living in a remote country town and trying to see or hear our games as we just stayed up by hammering Palace 6-0

Different times today. Much easier.

QPR is my spiritual home wherever I am on this earth
My whole life was within 4 miles of QPR until I left England.

I will never forget the highs and mainly lows we have experienced. I usually focus on the highs haha
I am encouraged by our new head coach/manager - Michael Beale - he seems to know what he is doing - fingers crossed.
U R's
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024