Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
classified results 12:42 - Aug 8 with 3433 viewsGuppy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62397375
Whenever i use the car to attend games this was the first thing on on the way back - anyone else going to miss it?
classified results on 12:50 - Aug 8 with 2897 viewsbosh67

It's a pathetic decision. Typical BBC. Only compromise would be to only read them if we have won?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

classified results on 12:51 - Aug 8 with 2893 viewshantssi

Definitely!
When I used to play on a Saturday it was straight back to the clubhouse for the final scores.
That music brings back so many memories!
On another note, it’s Eze on the photo!
classified results on 12:55 - Aug 8 with 2882 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Indeed!

JAG was as much a part of the day as the game you went to see.

I loved the way you knew what score was coming with JAG.

If it was a draw, he was quite monotone: a home win he dropped a bit on the away teams name: and his voice for an away win saw a rising nflection on the pronunciation of the away team.

I was convinced he always threw one in to keep you on your toes: Buryyyyy ooonnnee, Crewe four!

Then back to the studio where you waited for now disgraced Stuart Hall's report from Maine Road. The days when Kinkladze was in his pomp were Hall at his best.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 12:56]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

classified results on 13:04 - Aug 8 with 2816 viewsBrianMcCarthy

classified results on 12:55 - Aug 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Indeed!

If it was a draw, he was quite monotone: a home win he dropped a bit on the away teams name: and his voice for an away win saw a rising nflection on the pronunciation of the away team.

I was convinced he always threw one in to keep you on your toes: Buryyyyy ooonnnee, Crewe four!

Then back to the studio where you waited for now disgraced Stuart Hall's report from Maine Road. The days when Kinkladze was in his pomp were Hall at his best.

"I loved the way you knew what score was coming with JAG.

If it was a draw, he was quite monotone: a home win he dropped a bit on the away teams name: and his voice for an away win saw a rising nflection on the pronunciation of the away team."

100%. Same in our away car.
As his inflection rose, the whole carload of us would go quiet in anticipation!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

classified results on 13:20 - Aug 8 with 2768 viewspaulparker

Reminds me of going to football with my Dad & Grandad , getting in the car by the old white city swimming pool just in time for the classifieds at 5
What with everyone having a phone it makes sense but then your only going to fill it with pointless drivel from an ex pro , so they would of been better off keeping it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

classified results on 13:23 - Aug 8 with 2762 viewsGalileo

Another of the joys of travelling home from away games gone forever.

We'd play , guess the score from the tone of his voice.
classified results on 13:31 - Aug 8 with 2722 viewsE17hoop

classified results on 13:23 - Aug 8 by Galileo

Get in the car from an away game and everyone with me will already know the scores from looking them up on their phones on the way to the car, seeing the live league table, and showing the goals to each other.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

classified results on 13:35 - Aug 8 with 2698 viewsMrSheen

With our games obliged to contain at least eight minutes of stoppage time, ten minutes needed to get down the steps of Ellerslie/SBS, and another ten to get to my car in the gridlock-free zone south of Goldhawk Road, I'm lucky to get the radio on before 5.20.

Would still rather see the back of 5.30 kick-offs than results, though...and don't know why talking to Brendan Rogers at length about VAR is more interesting than discussing the Championship.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 13:38]
Login to get fewer ads

classified results on 14:35 - Aug 8 with 2610 viewsSonofpugwash

"Forfar four - East Fife five"

It did happen once.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

classified results on 14:51 - Aug 8 with 2579 viewsted_hendrix

A sad sign of the times I suppose, just like the pink classified results (evening standard I think).
Nobody has got time anymore.
I was drivng back from Barnsley with a car load yonks ago and when the results came on the radio the car fell silent apart from the odd 'brilliant' or 'bollox' from the back, some of our lot of travellers used to do the pools then.
Move on I suppose.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

classified results on 15:16 - Aug 8 with 2512 viewsslmrstid

classified results on 14:51 - Aug 8 by ted_hendrix

A sad sign of the times I suppose, just like the pink classified results (evening standard I think).
Nobody has got time anymore.
I was drivng back from Barnsley with a car load yonks ago and when the results came on the radio the car fell silent apart from the odd 'brilliant' or 'bollox' from the back, some of our lot of travellers used to do the pools then.
Move on I suppose.

Is the Pools still going?

We lost my Grandad in June, the last one left of an entire immediate side of my family (mum, an only child, went three and a half years ago, Grandma went eighteen months ago).

In 1974 my Grandad was a member of a Pools syndicate in Brackley where he worked with nine other blokes - each week they paid their 20p and submitted their slip.

One week they won the Pools - the prize in total was £89,995. I looked it up on an online calculator to work out what it would be today accounting for inflation - came back as around £1 million.

£100,000 equivalent each, back in 1974. It would have been life changing. Good on him.

I haven't listened to the classifieds for years, mainly because we're never back at our car after a QPR game before 5pm to hear them. Many fond memories from childhood though of hearing the Sports Report theme followed by James Alexander Gordon. When I first started playing Championship Manager as a kid after each game I'd read the results out from the league in my head in his style before clicking "Continue Game". Such times...
classified results on 15:45 - Aug 8 with 2469 viewsMyke

Indeed!

Exactly this! When waiting for a result (imagine WAITING for a result) you could figure out the winner, if not the score, by the time he'd read out the away team. JAG was an absolute legend in my youth, my brothers and I used to take turns 'reading' out the 'classifieds'. We would make up our own scores and the other two (brothers) would shout out ' home win' 'draw' or 'away win' based on the inflection used by the 'reader'. Innocent times indeed. But I think, sadly, your man from the Athletic is correct; it is more a nostalgic thing than a current usage thing. I haven't listened to them for years, since long before JAG passed away.
classified results on 16:19 - Aug 8 with 2415 views222gers

classified results on 14:35 - Aug 8 by Sonofpugwash

It did happen once.

Did a golf commentator really once say “there'll be a dirth of mirth on the fourth and fifth at the firth of forth tonight” ?
classified results on 16:28 - Aug 8 with 2392 viewsTonto

as folk have said, its traditional, express outrage at anything that changes that... BUT, when was the last time you actually paid attention? I go straight to the BBC webpage to look up the results Im interested in, not wait for the the classified results.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

classified results on 17:55 - Aug 8 with 2330 viewsqpr1976

classified results on 12:50 - Aug 8 by bosh67

It's a pathetic decision. Typical BBC. Only compromise would be to only read them if we have won?

TBF you’d have to listen Not read them. But agree, it’s a shame.
Funny the time when Mark E Smith read the instead of JAG…..
classified results on 17:56 - Aug 8 with 2326 viewsqpr1976

Indeed!

Spot on.
Did you hear the time Mark E Smith read them out ??
classified results on 18:00 - Aug 8 with 2324 viewsstanistheman

As you say you could usually tell if it was a visiting team won as his tone would give it away.

Yes, it will be missed, but I guess in this day and age with Sky Sports, Internet and other media outlets it has become almost redundant.
classified results on 18:01 - Aug 8 with 2323 viewsqpr1976

classified results on 14:35 - Aug 8 by Sonofpugwash

It did happen once.

I thought it was other way round……

Forfar 5 East Fife 4

But probably my fading memory……?
classified results on 19:05 - Aug 8 with 2283 viewsSonofpugwash

classified results on 18:01 - Aug 8 by qpr1976

Forfar 5 East Fife 4

Yeah you're probably right.A lot of vodka has flowed over the cortices since then.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

classified results on 21:46 - Aug 8 with 2163 viewsNewBee

classified results on 13:04 - Aug 8 by BrianMcCarthy

"I loved the way you knew what score was coming with JAG.

If it was a draw, he was quite monotone: a home win he dropped a bit on the away teams name: and his voice for an away win saw a rising nflection on the pronunciation of the away team."

100%. Same in our away car.
As his inflection rose, the whole carload of us would go quiet in anticipation!

I always remember coming back from a match at Spurs, getting on a bus towards Seven Sisters Tube.

One supporter had the obligatory transistor radio with him, and he switched on in time for Sports Report. Someone told him to turn it up so we could all hear.

Anyhow, JAG was soon into his stride, with his customary intonation.

As it happens, there were 3 or 4 foreign fans sitting in front of me (German? Swedish?), they cottoned on to the delivery and immediately after JAG read the home team's score, they started predicting the away team's score. Thing is, they were having such fun, the rest of us couldn't hear the actual score, but it didnt matter - by the time we got to Division Three the whole lower deck was in stitches, even the Conductor!

Of course, if you tried to explain that to Da Youf of Today, Innit, they wouldnt havre a clue.

"Transistor? Classified Results? Conductor? Division Three? Nah, don't get it. Anyway, what was wrong wiv your Mobile, Bro?"
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 21:47]
classified results on 21:49 - Aug 8 with 2147 viewsNewBee

classified results on 18:01 - Aug 8 by qpr1976

Forfar 5 East Fife 4

No doubt it was apocryphal, but the version I heard was a latest score:

"East Fife five, Forfar so far four..."
classified results on 10:08 - Aug 9 with 1964 viewsterryb

It was definitely required listening in my earlier days, but nobody is back in their cars in time from football these days! It's not often that you've left the ground before 5.00pm, unlike when the match finished by 4.45pm at the latest!

It was an institution, but it must be over 30 years ago that I last heard the "classified".
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 13:42]
classified results on 10:35 - Aug 9 with 1906 viewsLongsufferingR

Was on 30th January 1964 apparently, and was Forfar 5 East Fife 4
classified results on 12:03 - Aug 9 with 1844 viewsozranger

Remember this well, back in Oz. It was delayed until 6:45am so that those in Oz wouldn't have to be up at some ridiculous hour in the morning. Back then, you would turn on the tranny (that's transistor) and listen to the theme followed by JAG. Other than Monday morning's newspaper, this was the only way to get results.

But, as others have said, no one really listens to it any more, or very rarely does. The internet and smart phones means that you can see the scores live at the games as opposed to finding out later on.
classified results on 12:49 - Aug 9 with 1786 viewsrobith

classified results on 16:28 - Aug 8 by Tonto

as folk have said, its traditional, express outrage at anything that changes that... BUT, when was the last time you actually paid attention? I go straight to the BBC webpage to look up the results Im interested in, not wait for the the classified results.

Yeah agreed, I don't think I've listened to them since I was about 12. With mobile now everyone knows the scores and has probably seen the highlights by 5pm.

Hell, a dear friend of mine has been very ill in ICU recently, he almost died. I got my first whatsapp from him in 3 months on Saturday - sending me a twitter link to Willock's goal about 5 minutes after it had been scored
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 12:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024