Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up 13:48 - May 2 with 4987 viewsbosh67

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65453756

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has threatened to not broadcast the Women's World Cup in five European countries, including the UK unless TV companies improve their rights offers.

The excuse being that if people genuinely want women to get equal pay then the TV companies have to match what they pay for the men's.

I think FIFA is pretty corrupt but is there some justification in this threat, or none at all?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 13:57 - May 2 with 4923 viewsdaveB

Greedy bastard, if the viewing figures were as high for the mens they could justify the same price but they don't
[Post edited 2 May 2023 13:58]
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 14:04 - May 2 with 4876 viewsswisscottage

This isn't about women's equal pay rights, this is about FIFA grabbing as much money as they can.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 14:14 - May 2 with 4853 viewsLazyFan

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 14:04 - May 2 by swisscottage

This isn't about women's equal pay rights, this is about FIFA grabbing as much money as they can.

Agreed.

If he said ...

"and FIFA shall pass on the extra directly to the players so, that they get closer to parity to some of the top men's players even though that's not usually how it's done, but just to start the process and prove FIFA means it"

Then fair enough, but I must have missed that from the slaphead!

He's a proper Corporate shrill, isn't he?

zzzzzzzzzz

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:13 - May 2 with 4760 viewsSheffieldHoop

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 14:14 - May 2 by LazyFan

Agreed.

If he said ...

"and FIFA shall pass on the extra directly to the players so, that they get closer to parity to some of the top men's players even though that's not usually how it's done, but just to start the process and prove FIFA means it"

Don't the female players take something like 11% of revenues from women's world cups while males take something like 6% from theirs? So he kind of is saying that, without being an annoying activist about it, which IMO is sensible and quite refreshing.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:14 - May 2 with 4786 viewsessextaxiboy

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 13:57 - May 2 by daveB

Greedy bastard, if the viewing figures were as high for the mens they could justify the same price but they don't
[Post edited 2 May 2023 13:58]

He is right IMO , The Womens World Cup is worth more than 5% of the Mens whether you are counting viewing figures or commercial revenue .
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:17 - May 2 with 4775 viewsdaveB

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 14:04 - May 2 by swisscottage

They know full well that Womens football is growing in the UK so looking to get as much cash as they can plus the dig at public service broadcasters is basically his revenge for all the negative coverage of Qatar

It's like getting angry that people pay more for Premier league tv rights than they do for the French league.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:54 - May 2 with 4718 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:17 - May 2 by daveB

They know full well that Womens football is growing in the UK so looking to get as much cash as they can plus the dig at public service broadcasters is basically his revenge for all the negative coverage of Qatar

It's like getting angry that people pay more for Premier league tv rights than they do for the French league.

Or that Wimbledon costs more than Queens - as you say, its just cold hard commercial reality.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 16:55 - May 2 with 4666 viewsTGRRRSSS

Bit of a curious one, none of the big pay tv/streaming type companies winging in to take over either then?

Just sheer greed as ever from Infantino.

The reality is for most of Europe with most games in the middle of the night or early morning when people maybe at work (in the week) the broadcasters don't see this as especially tempting.

People will watch but I doubt it'll be a down tools thing like in Japan for England v Argentina for example.
Login to get fewer ads

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 17:08 - May 2 with 4630 viewsJuzzie

People finally get some good football to watch that doesn't cost a second mortgage and wallop!.... authorities clamouring all over it to milk as much out of everyone again.

Cnts.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 17:20 - May 2 with 4581 viewsDWQPR

Infantino is starting to make Blatter look reasonable and honest in comparison. TV companies won’t pay because they won’t get the same viewing figures as the men’s competition. Could hard facts. Why should TV companies lose multi-millions of pounds to satisfy this idiot. Fact is the advertisers will not pay the same rate as for the men’s game as they know they will not achieve the same exposure. And even in this country with the women’s game growing most of the WSL clubs, play is small grounds like, Salford, Barnet and Kingstonian and still don’t sell out. The England women’s team during the Euros last summer even in the latter stages there was a game staged at Brighton and it wasn’t full. The women’s game still has a very long way to go to become anywhere near as financially viable as the men’s.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 17:23 - May 2 with 4558 viewsdaveB

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 16:55 - May 2 by TGRRRSSS

Bit of a curious one, none of the big pay tv/streaming type companies winging in to take over either then?

Just sheer greed as ever from Infantino.

The reality is for most of Europe with most games in the middle of the night or early morning when people maybe at work (in the week) the broadcasters don't see this as especially tempting.

People will watch but I doubt it'll be a down tools thing like in Japan for England v Argentina for example.

It's protected so can only be shown on BBC, channel 4 or ITV,
It was going to be shared by ITV & BBC until FIFA wanted more money although I think they'll both end up showing it.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 09:11 - May 3 with 4302 viewsTheChef

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 14:14 - May 2 by LazyFan

Agreed.

If he said ...

He's a shrill shill, that's for sure.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 11:24 - May 3 with 4227 viewsToast_R

Infantino is a massive deluded whopper. I didn't think anyone could be worse than Sepp Blatter but he really has outdone himself. The competition is only worth the viewing figures to broadcasters and whether you like it or not, Women's football doesn't get what the mens game does and especially not when the games are shown in the mornings.

Probably got his mate and all time chancer Salt Bae getting selfies at the opening ceremony though.
[Post edited 3 May 2023 11:25]
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 12:39 - May 3 with 4186 viewsDavieQPR

The biggest problem will be dwindling viewing figures for KO times that are 9 - 10 AM.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:56 - May 3 with 4065 viewsstevec

Can’t see what the problem is.

BBC are promoting womens football like it was the second coming whilst getting it on the cheap. They give it way more coverage than EFL football, which barely gets a mention these days, would be the first to back equal money for women players, fair enough, but don’t want to pay top dollar for the women to get that kind of pay deal.

Well done Infantino, let the broadcasters put their money where their mouth is.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 16:30 - May 3 with 3993 viewsdaveB

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:56 - May 3 by stevec

BBC are promoting womens football like it was the second coming whilst getting it on the cheap. They give it way more coverage than EFL football, which barely gets a mention these days, would be the first to back equal money for women players, fair enough, but don’t want to pay top dollar for the women to get that kind of pay deal.

They are promoting it as it's one of the few sports they can afford to buy the rights for.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 21:06 - May 3 with 3908 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:56 - May 3 by stevec

So FIFA want the TV companies to pay them more.

The question that really needs asking: how much of the extra revenue generated will go to develop the women's game?

I'm as convinced by C3PO as I was by his two predecessors.

Bollox to 'em!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 00:05 - May 4 with 3785 viewsconnell10

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:13 - May 2 by SheffieldHoop

Don't the female players take something like 11% of revenues from women's world cups while males take something like 6% from theirs? So he kind of is saying that, without being an annoying activist about it, which IMO is sensible and quite refreshing.

All very well and good but the bloke is still a Kunt.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 17:10 - May 4 with 3589 viewsSheffieldHoop

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 00:05 - May 4 by connell10

All very well and good but the bloke is still a Kunt.

Ok? Don't think I'd said that he isn't? Not that I've ever met the bloke.

Just that this is a better way to make the case, that it's his job to make, than the other ideas that have been put forward on this thread. He's managed to draw attention to the matter without turning it into some crybaby argument about who gets paid what, which it seems some people would actually prefer?

Threatening to pull it completely unless realistic offers are made is precisely how you negotiate these things. ITV/BBC now need to put their hands in their pockets and show they are serious about women's football, and not just showing it cos it's cheap and available.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 17:31 - May 4 with 3572 viewsNewBee

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 12:39 - May 3 by DavieQPR

The biggest problem will be dwindling viewing figures for KO times that are 9 - 10 AM.

This.

If the Finals were being held in the European time zone, then the TV companies in the big European markets would be offering much more.

(I say "big European markets", since FIFA have already concluded broadcasting seals with the smaller countries. However he doesn't say how much they're actually stumping up, nor will he, since you can be certain that it's peanuts.)
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 08:22 - May 6 with 3392 viewsTGRRRSSS

I didnt realise it was on the crow jewels list as I think it's called.

Seems to have gone quiet but I was hearing on the radio that it's not so far here but more other countries in Europe - Germans Italians and a couple of others.

AT the end of the day the market dictates and I imagine they all know the timeframes mean much less revenue and advertiser interest which means less money.
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 09:57 - Jul 20 with 2483 viewsE17hoop

First games in tournaments are rarely great but NZLNOR hasn't been too bad.

Full list of games here:
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/football/womens-world-cup-2023-tv/

Anyone else going to be watching games?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 10:02 - Jul 20 with 2461 viewsdaveB

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 09:57 - Jul 20 by E17hoop

First games in tournaments are rarely great but NZLNOR hasn't been too bad.

Full list of games here:
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/football/womens-world-cup-2023-tv/

Anyone else going to be watching games?

first game was good, New Zealand played well and I'm already bottom of the work predictor league, I had 4-0 to Norway
FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 15:52 - Aug 4 with 2134 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Watched a fair bit and on the whole, it's been enjoyable and entertaining.

I first started watching women's football at the 2015 WC, and the progress made in terms of: skills, tactics, fitness and overall entertainment is exponential.

However, it's noticeable how much 'gamesmanship' is creeping into the womens game. Which is a real shame.

Serina Wiegman is a bloody good coach but losing Williamson, Kirby, Mead and Walsh from the squad is really hard luck. Them four on full form and you'd really fancy England to do it.

Still, the China game saw them returning to form. So who knows.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA threatens to pull coverage of Women's World Cup if TV cos don't cough up on 16:12 - Aug 4 with 2084 viewskensalriser

Infantino is a massively sleazy scumbag, just like his predecessor. FIFA is essentially an OCG.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024