Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... 14:41 - Jun 11 with 4127 viewsBluce_Ree

I know there are some gamers on here (if you're not one, feel free to whine about how childish it all is because that's really smart).

E3 was yesterday and it went down like this.

Microsoft One: £429! Games could be full of DRM so trading them in might not be an option. Not many decent games on show. Dead Rising 3 looked like the best thing there but looked dull and grey compared to the old ones.

EA: sport shit, shooting shit. Mirror's Edge 2, UFC and some Plants Vs Zombies shooter game looked alright.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs, The Crew and The Division looked amazing. All next gen.

Sony: £349. No DRM nonsense. Looks like it needs to get bought.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:02 - Jun 11 with 3479 viewsJeff

Agreed, i've always been massively pro Xbox 360 over the PS3 (i own both...) but Microsoft have massively dropped the ball here. £100 more expensive, with DRM, internet connection not only required for setup, but always on and needed to play games even offline, camera and Kinnect always on (i'm no 1984 conspiracy theorist, but it's a bit creepy...) means that i'll probably go to PS4 instead of Xbone...

Can we not knock it?

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:05 - Jun 11 with 3470 viewstoboboly

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:02 - Jun 11 by Jeff

Agreed, i've always been massively pro Xbox 360 over the PS3 (i own both...) but Microsoft have massively dropped the ball here. £100 more expensive, with DRM, internet connection not only required for setup, but always on and needed to play games even offline, camera and Kinnect always on (i'm no 1984 conspiracy theorist, but it's a bit creepy...) means that i'll probably go to PS4 instead of Xbone...

That will have screwed the Xbox for me. Don't do internet on it, shame as I have alwys thought the Xbox (had one for 5/6 years) far better and the games better than PS3.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:10 - Jun 11 with 3458 viewsE17hoop

MS have dropped the ball:

If they'd concentrated on a games console we'd have the best console in the world.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:12 - Jun 11 with 3454 viewsToast_R

PS all day. Xbox 360 is basically a Porche Boxster to a 911.

I'm not sure there is any point in upgrading to either for the next 2 years at least.

For me the PS3 still has heaps of life left in it. The new GTA 5 or whatever number their up to now (back to San Andreas) out this September, looks truely amazing.

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:31 - Jun 11 with 3434 viewsJuzzie

The Kinect on the XBox 360 is great, much better than the PS3 Move equivalent but I'm PlayStation all the way. Much more of a versatile machine (blu-ray, mp3 songs, videos etc tec) whereas the XBox is more dedictaed to pure online gaming.

These new revelations of the XBox One seems way too OTT and scary with the need to be permanently online (even if playing normal offline games), Kinect always on etc.
If I want to jump around in my y-fronts playing Dance Move 4 then I don't really want to be online, not a pretty sight.

edit: Also, as Toast says, the PS3 has still got a lot of life left in it. I won't be trading up just yet.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:40 - Jun 11 with 3417 viewsbaz_qpr

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:31 - Jun 11 by Juzzie

The Kinect on the XBox 360 is great, much better than the PS3 Move equivalent but I'm PlayStation all the way. Much more of a versatile machine (blu-ray, mp3 songs, videos etc tec) whereas the XBox is more dedictaed to pure online gaming.

These new revelations of the XBox One seems way too OTT and scary with the need to be permanently online (even if playing normal offline games), Kinect always on etc.
If I want to jump around in my y-fronts playing Dance Move 4 then I don't really want to be online, not a pretty sight.

edit: Also, as Toast says, the PS3 has still got a lot of life left in it. I won't be trading up just yet.

Kinnect IMHO is a gimick that has not found a home in gaming but has in other non Xbox applications, where I've used it its been a bit lame like its still a generation away from being up to it.

Microsoft are making the mistakes of Sony last time try to own the living room but as such being too expensive and as such will lose market share. One wonders if they are thinking Apple in creating a fairly closed ecosystem but with less people in it. Either way unless they have a killer app / game and people forget when talking about tech be it phones / gaming systems etc that unless a system has a killer app / feature / game it wont take off (The wii U being a classic example) as is the constant lauding of Samsung and Android yet the take up of apps is much lower.

Sony on the other hand seem to have learnt their lesson, focus on why people buy a gaming machine, what's the point in reproducing the function of a smart tv when everyone will have smart tv's within a few years. Focus on what the customer wants and support that ecosystem.
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:51 - Jun 11 with 3404 viewsE17hoop

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:40 - Jun 11 by baz_qpr

Kinnect IMHO is a gimick that has not found a home in gaming but has in other non Xbox applications, where I've used it its been a bit lame like its still a generation away from being up to it.

Microsoft are making the mistakes of Sony last time try to own the living room but as such being too expensive and as such will lose market share. One wonders if they are thinking Apple in creating a fairly closed ecosystem but with less people in it. Either way unless they have a killer app / game and people forget when talking about tech be it phones / gaming systems etc that unless a system has a killer app / feature / game it wont take off (The wii U being a classic example) as is the constant lauding of Samsung and Android yet the take up of apps is much lower.

Sony on the other hand seem to have learnt their lesson, focus on why people buy a gaming machine, what's the point in reproducing the function of a smart tv when everyone will have smart tv's within a few years. Focus on what the customer wants and support that ecosystem.

Android is shipping more devices than any other system at present; I agree MS are trying to tie up a version of a cloud system (a la Apple) but have gone about it completely wrong. They're too late to the party and Windows 8 has not caught on - they could go the way of Sega with this one. I can see them becoming a software house only within 10 years with phone, console and tablet os.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 16:10 - Jun 11 with 3382 viewsBluce_Ree

Well I reckon the Wii U is this generation's Dreamcast (albeit without the fantastic games).

Login to get fewer ads

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 16:18 - Jun 11 with 3370 viewsfakekerby

PS4 for me, much cheaper and some of the games - Infamous, Killzone - look absolutely fantastic.

Still weary of buying a console straight away due to bugs, etc, though.
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 16:23 - Jun 11 with 3349 viewsthame_hoops

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 16:10 - Jun 11 by Bluce_Ree

Well I reckon the Wii U is this generation's Dreamcast (albeit without the fantastic games).

Loved my dreamcast, it was worth the money just for 'toy commander'
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 18:11 - Jun 11 with 3313 viewsNeil_SI

Not sure if I'll ever buy a console again as I never find the time to play on them, however I've nearly 300 games on Steam, most of which that I've never played, but Steam Box could be tempting if/when that arrives.
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 18:24 - Jun 11 with 3294 viewssimmo

Had both the X-Box and then PS3, stuck with PS3 as it has a browser which the X-Box doesnt. In most other ways though I have to say the XBox was better, having a dedicated server made a huge difference. It does seem though that PS4 will dominate. It is still a bit expensive for me to get on board with straight away and I am not sure how much of an improvement it will actually be on the PS3 (as someone that uses just Browser and CoD/FIFA).

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 18:43 - Jun 11 with 3267 viewsToast_R

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 18:24 - Jun 11 by simmo

Had both the X-Box and then PS3, stuck with PS3 as it has a browser which the X-Box doesnt. In most other ways though I have to say the XBox was better, having a dedicated server made a huge difference. It does seem though that PS4 will dominate. It is still a bit expensive for me to get on board with straight away and I am not sure how much of an improvement it will actually be on the PS3 (as someone that uses just Browser and CoD/FIFA).

You should start LFW Cod clan for sure.

I'm on the latest one a fair bit in lag heaven
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 20:28 - Jun 11 with 3222 viewsClive_Anderson

The new XBox looks complete turd. What the hell were they thinking? Half the RAM is going to be used for their three operating systems, two of which are for TV stuff that has nothing to do with games and won't be available outside the US anyway. It also looks like two 80s electric heaters cellotaped together.

PS4 is more powerful, is cheaper, no DRM and is actually designed for gamers. They screwed up with the PS3 which was a bit of a dog to develop for, but it looks like they've learned their lesson and actually done things right this time.
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 21:17 - Jun 11 with 3189 viewsbaz_qpr

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 15:51 - Jun 11 by E17hoop

Android is shipping more devices than any other system at present; I agree MS are trying to tie up a version of a cloud system (a la Apple) but have gone about it completely wrong. They're too late to the party and Windows 8 has not caught on - they could go the way of Sega with this one. I can see them becoming a software house only within 10 years with phone, console and tablet os.

Shipping is a meaningless statistic, my wifes phone is android, she does not use apps other than email she does not use it for the internet.

I look after a portfolio of 36 websites a number of apps etc, IOS engagement is just a different scale, if 20% of all traffic / engagement is mobile 18% of that is IOS. Most digital managers will tell you the same, likewise with Apps engagement is much higher amongst IOS users. In addition business is not keen on android because the operating system is vulnerable from a security perspective, most businesses will still dish out blackberry, windows or Iphones before they would android.

Agree re MS they are going to be 2 businesses server OS infrastructure software, office etc and a loss making consumer business which might get split off in the next few years
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 21:41 - Jun 11 with 3173 viewsqueensparker

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 18:11 - Jun 11 by Neil_SI

Not sure if I'll ever buy a console again as I never find the time to play on them, however I've nearly 300 games on Steam, most of which that I've never played, but Steam Box could be tempting if/when that arrives.

Microsoft could have nailed the Steam market - they basically own PCs and the original Xbox was just a PC in a fancy box, which is what a Steam box will be.

Instead Microsoft gone full steam ahead on the DRM / data mining / keep prices high model. And Sony have become the good guys all of a sudden (remember, this is the company that was fined in the courts for installing spyware without permission a few years ago).

Will be interesting to see who wins out.

I get the feeling that most people don't give a toss about DRM and always-on internet, they'll just buy the one with the best games and the one that their mates have got.

Betamax was better than VHS, after all.
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 22:42 - Jun 11 with 3144 viewsbaz_qpr

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 21:41 - Jun 11 by queensparker

Microsoft could have nailed the Steam market - they basically own PCs and the original Xbox was just a PC in a fancy box, which is what a Steam box will be.

Instead Microsoft gone full steam ahead on the DRM / data mining / keep prices high model. And Sony have become the good guys all of a sudden (remember, this is the company that was fined in the courts for installing spyware without permission a few years ago).

Will be interesting to see who wins out.

I get the feeling that most people don't give a toss about DRM and always-on internet, they'll just buy the one with the best games and the one that their mates have got.

Betamax was better than VHS, after all.

The market wants to buy cheap games though and that means second hand market, kids want to take their games to their mates house etc.

Smart TVs / Cable / Satellite will do everything else, its a spectacular fail from Microsoft and bar gaining exclusives for Fifa and PRo Evo and Call of Duty and all Bethusda games they have absolutley no chance. This might have seemed like a good idea 2 or 3 years ago, but the world has already moved on
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 23:08 - Jun 11 with 3125 viewsHollowayRanger

Still living in dark ages here got

amstrad 464 in wardrobe
amiga 500 with upgrade
play station 1

and thats it apart from this piece of junk
aspire 7720g

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 23:11 - Jun 11 with 3121 viewsqueensparker

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 22:42 - Jun 11 by baz_qpr

The market wants to buy cheap games though and that means second hand market, kids want to take their games to their mates house etc.

Smart TVs / Cable / Satellite will do everything else, its a spectacular fail from Microsoft and bar gaining exclusives for Fifa and PRo Evo and Call of Duty and all Bethusda games they have absolutley no chance. This might have seemed like a good idea 2 or 3 years ago, but the world has already moved on

True, it's the first time people will find that their games don't work for no apparent reason - games they've played £40+ for. The whole nerd rage about DRM is about to go mainstream, and why Microsoft want to go down as the company that did that God only knows.

I'm old enough now that I remember getting three weeks play out of a £1.99 cassette game from the newsagent that today's kids would laugh out of town if it turned up as a free game on a website.

There are so many amazing games left to play on the existing consoles (Grand Theft Auto 5 plus the hundreds of others that I haven't had time for and now cost a fiver) that I'll leave the next generation to their whining. They don't know they're born
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 23:19 - Jun 11 with 3110 viewsJigsore

Sony have already won this generation's console war... WiiU will do just fine. XboxOne looks shite, gamers hate it.

Meanwhile at PC Gaming i'm absolutely fine. No drama. Happy in the knowledge my platform is the best ;)

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 03:20 - Jun 12 with 3082 viewstimcocking

I've been getting dismayed recently how the games are typically nice looking cr@p, just like Hollywood movies. Big effects but mostly utter claptrap to me apart from a few choice games (Total War and Fifa / Pro Ev spring to mind, staggeringly superb).

The cerebral content of games gone bye (!) was usually better than nowadays, they are typically made for mass markets, people with an IQ in double figures.

I was very pleased to find out about this new kickstarter thing, where fans of games put in the money and get games made themselves without using the big commercial companies. They can make games as people actually want, much more difficult, use much more sex, drugs, violence, swearing etc., which of course every right thinkng person wants (in their video games i mean ). So there are a few independent games i'll be awaiting with interest.

On the big budget side, Total War have done a deal with Games Workshop to make Total Warhammer, that should be damn good (anybody who doesn't know about video games, check out Total War: Rome 2 to see the sheer power of modern games. Astonishing if you remember the Spectrum (as i do)). GTA V also sh!t hot.
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 05:53 - Jun 12 with 3069 viewsSeth_Gecko

First console I owned was a Playstation, then got the PS2, then PS3.. it was two years or so back when PSN went down for ages that I thought f*ck it I'll try the XBOX - and not looked back since. Never had a problem with XBOX Live and genuinely feel you have a better experience online, with Party Chat being key.

Going to give it a year or so before I decide which next gen I'll buy. Iron out the bugs first/price drop.

Also pretty much all of the games i'm looking forward to are going to be on 360 anyway.. and it has f*cked me off that both GTA V and Arkham Origins don't look like they will be available on the new consoles anyway.

Everybody be cool, you be cool...

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 07:29 - Jun 12 with 3049 viewstimcocking

The fact the games are no longer always available on all the different platforms is a nightmare, and typical of the corporate greed in life now. Any way to screw people and maximise profits. F@@@ing c@@@s if you'll pardon my French.
Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 10:16 - Jun 12 with 3014 viewsBluce_Ree

I wasn't too fussed either way at first but then Ubisoft unveiled a bunch of decent looking games and then Sony followed up by bumming Xbox in the gob and now I'm probably looking at getting a PS4 on day one.

I was considering a gaming PC but the only thing stopping me is that I don't like gaming at a desk anymore.

Nerd Up! Next gen gaming console nonsense.... on 11:16 - Jun 12 with 2991 viewsJuzzie

Steam Box? ** giggle **

I did a bit of PC online gaming (mainly Counter-Strike: Source and Day Of Defeat) about 10 years ago and you had to have a top-notch PC with good connections otherwised you just get pwnd all the time. Or in my case, 'cos I wasn't very good!

At least with a console, it's a level playing field in term of machine specs. The only variable factor is the internet connection.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024