Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies 23:45 - Sep 16 with 6646 viewsAgedR

Won't be a common view I appreciate, but, contrary to all logical evidence to date, I quite like him.

His distribution is first class and he made a couple of excellent saves (granted one was from an offside position).

He did make a misjudgement for the first goal, but, on another day (and another ref) he might have got away with it.

After the goal he did look nervy, but, I was impressed with the fact that he did keep coming for crosses.

As I said, I like him and I actually think it's a tough call who to play next week. Probably Greeno, but, Smithies is a good longer term prospect.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Smithies on 23:50 - Sep 16 with 4413 viewslondonscottish

His mistake for the first goal looked like a howler to me - surely he could have punched it? (haven't seen a proper replay so may be wrong).

Other that that he did a good job I thought. Pulled off a couple of blinding save in the 2H, came out for a lot of crosses. Was sometimes slow to kick it out but that's all

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Smithies on 23:54 - Sep 16 with 4380 viewsdaveB

looked a nervous wreck the first 15 minutes but made 3 very good saves and got better as it went on, i'd stick with him over Green
Smithies on 23:56 - Sep 16 with 4365 viewsconnell10

yep agree he grew into the game.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smithies on 23:58 - Sep 16 with 4357 viewsqpr1976

Smithies on 23:54 - Sep 16 by daveB

looked a nervous wreck the first 15 minutes but made 3 very good saves and got better as it went on, i'd stick with him over Green

Agree, was very nervy after their opener.
I still think it was a foul and most ref's would have given it, but he should have been stronger. Then again, he already looks better than McCarthy did for us.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2015 0:00]
Smithies on 23:59 - Sep 16 with 4345 viewsbosh67

Having watched the goal back the problem is that he's quite small. The player that scored was huge and simply out muscled him. I thought he had dropped it but he was just too small to claim it. If a few of the outfield players had also run to the lino then I think they may have persuaded him there was a foul, but there wasn't.

He seemed to punch an awful lot of things because he seemed afraid to catch the ball. He has to get over that.

However, one ridiculous save when the player was offside, but he didn't know that. Then another one at point blank range that he had no right to save at all.

His distribution is way better than Green's and I like the fact that he is looking for players to release and his throwing and kicking are good.

The stats say he is over 6 foot 2. I don't think he's anything like that. He looks barely 6 foot. If he is over 6 foot then he needs to put on weight and bulk out.

Second half he had very little to do but what he did he did well. So, he can make impressive point blank saves and he can distribute very well but he needs to learn to command his area and he needs to toughen up.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Smithies on 00:02 - Sep 17 with 4336 viewsqpr1976

Smithies on 23:59 - Sep 16 by bosh67

Having watched the goal back the problem is that he's quite small. The player that scored was huge and simply out muscled him. I thought he had dropped it but he was just too small to claim it. If a few of the outfield players had also run to the lino then I think they may have persuaded him there was a foul, but there wasn't.

He seemed to punch an awful lot of things because he seemed afraid to catch the ball. He has to get over that.

However, one ridiculous save when the player was offside, but he didn't know that. Then another one at point blank range that he had no right to save at all.

His distribution is way better than Green's and I like the fact that he is looking for players to release and his throwing and kicking are good.

The stats say he is over 6 foot 2. I don't think he's anything like that. He looks barely 6 foot. If he is over 6 foot then he needs to put on weight and bulk out.

Second half he had very little to do but what he did he did well. So, he can make impressive point blank saves and he can distribute very well but he needs to learn to command his area and he needs to toughen up.

Officially 6ft 3 !!! But I agree he doesn't look that tall.
but if true, the Blackburn Keeper (Lewis ?) must be 7ft !!!
Smithies on 00:07 - Sep 17 with 4315 viewsbaz_qpr

Think he punched too much because he knew he should have punched away the goal. Made a great reaction save
Smithies on 00:17 - Sep 17 with 4284 viewsNW10Hoop

Hmm. We may have found the most natural heir to Rob Green. Decent shot stopper, but constantly seemed to be sh!tting himself, punching what he should have caught, with a few well dodgy clearances. Green has to start the next game... Better the devil you know
Login to get fewer ads

Smithies on 00:17 - Sep 17 with 4278 viewsjohncharles

Blackburn are a very big side and they pushed a lot of men up for set pieces. For corners it looked like they had 15 guys on the field. Smithies soon realised he would just have to punch the ball out.

Strong and stable my arse.

Smithies on 00:37 - Sep 17 with 4241 viewsNorthernr

Needed a save, looked terrified to start with again. Actually made two great stops when people had been flagged offside but that helped him. Terrific save from Rhodes just before half time. Distribution in a different league to Green's. Thought he settled and looked good. Keep him in please.
Smithies on 00:40 - Sep 17 with 4232 viewsPunteR

I thought he was nervy ,doesn't speak to his defence much. Throws the ball out effectively and quickly though. Have I seen enough to make Green lose his place in the side?..no.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Smithies on 00:49 - Sep 17 with 4210 viewsNorthernr

Smithies on 00:40 - Sep 17 by PunteR

I thought he was nervy ,doesn't speak to his defence much. Throws the ball out effectively and quickly though. Have I seen enough to make Green lose his place in the side?..no.

Ah well, give it another month he'll have cost us another bad goal at his current average so we can reconvene then.
Smithies on 00:55 - Sep 17 with 4195 viewsGetMeRangers

Havent seen the replays but from R block, he looked to have both hands on the ball before being bundled over.
Couple of great stops, and really enjoyed him throwing the ball out. For me, I would prefer him to have another couple of games. Why isnt Rob banned for three games for a straight red... dont think I will ever get to grips with the rules
Smithies on 00:58 - Sep 17 with 4187 viewsNorthernr

Smithies on 00:55 - Sep 17 by GetMeRangers

Havent seen the replays but from R block, he looked to have both hands on the ball before being bundled over.
Couple of great stops, and really enjoyed him throwing the ball out. For me, I would prefer him to have another couple of games. Why isnt Rob banned for three games for a straight red... dont think I will ever get to grips with the rules

It's one game for two yellows or a professional foul. It's also one game for accumulating five yellow cards.

Two games if you do that and it's your second red card of the season. Also two games for ten yellow cards.

Three games for chinning somebody or, you know, doing one of those gay footballer headbutt movements.

Four games if you do one of those and you've been sent off before. Or if you're caught calling a fellow professional a "fcking black cnt" but you're quite famous and play for a big club.

Eight games for sectarian abuse if you're not famous and don't play for a big club.
Smithies on 01:04 - Sep 17 with 4177 viewsPunteR

Smithies on 00:49 - Sep 17 by Northernr

Ah well, give it another month he'll have cost us another bad goal at his current average so we can reconvene then.

Well we're still letting in two goals a game with Smithies playing but early days for him I guess.
There's nothing we like more at QPR than a £50 grand a week keeper that's played at international level sitting on the bench.

Smithies on 01:18 - Sep 17 with 4153 viewsGetMeRangers

Smithies on 00:58 - Sep 17 by Northernr

It's one game for two yellows or a professional foul. It's also one game for accumulating five yellow cards.

Two games if you do that and it's your second red card of the season. Also two games for ten yellow cards.

Three games for chinning somebody or, you know, doing one of those gay footballer headbutt movements.

Four games if you do one of those and you've been sent off before. Or if you're caught calling a fellow professional a "fcking black cnt" but you're quite famous and play for a big club.

Eight games for sectarian abuse if you're not famous and don't play for a big club.

Thank you Northern.
Smithies on 08:00 - Sep 17 with 3862 viewsfakekerby

You can't just play a keeper every now and then and expect him to be at his best.

One of them needs to be number 1 and stuck with.

Green has proven he can cost us games plenty of times. I'd give Smithies a month and I expect his nerves will soon settle and we'll see a good goalkeeper.
Smithies on 08:20 - Sep 17 with 3813 viewsAitch

I would hope a spell on the bench would be enough to persuade Green to feck off somewhere else. That's all the reason I'd need to keep Smithies in. Have to say that his distribution is worlds apart from Green.

TPFKA Stans_Left_Foot

Smithies on 08:27 - Sep 17 with 3790 viewskingsburyR

Excellent distribution all game.

I was sitting right above their first goal and I thought (although he should have punched it) it was a foul as the CB had his arm across Smithies chest. Most Refs would have given that as a foul.

His point blank from Rhodes was an excellent save.

I'd keep him in, grow his confidence and see how he goes.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Smithies on 08:28 - Sep 17 with 3777 viewsTheChef

Smithies on 01:04 - Sep 17 by PunteR

Well we're still letting in two goals a game with Smithies playing but early days for him I guess.
There's nothing we like more at QPR than a £50 grand a week keeper that's played at international level sitting on the bench.

New keeper, plus we're still bedding in the back four, and we've now gone with Angella it seems, which I think is a bit harsh on Hall as I think he has the makings of a decent partnership with Onuoha (at least from what I saw at Huddersfield).

It's a long old season, we will see what happens.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Smithies on 09:26 - Sep 17 with 3648 viewsstevec

All I can say is thank fck it wasn't Green turning to jelly for that first goal. An entirely different thread then methinks.
Smithies on 09:44 - Sep 17 with 3589 viewssimmo

His distribution is actually really good in comparison to most keepers, so compared to Green it's a phenomenon watching him start attacks with a aprayed goal kick. He made 2 world class saves last night, one which was offside and then the Rhodes from close range. I think he should have done better for 1st goal but 9/10 the ref usually gives a free kick there.

I really really hope he stays in, but you know Ramsey will go straight back to Green and his undeserved reputation of greatness...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies on 09:50 - Sep 17 with 3565 viewsPunteR

Smithies on 09:44 - Sep 17 by simmo

His distribution is actually really good in comparison to most keepers, so compared to Green it's a phenomenon watching him start attacks with a aprayed goal kick. He made 2 world class saves last night, one which was offside and then the Rhodes from close range. I think he should have done better for 1st goal but 9/10 the ref usually gives a free kick there.

I really really hope he stays in, but you know Ramsey will go straight back to Green and his undeserved reputation of greatness...

undeserved? He's been one of our consistent players for the past 3 years. Although going on Northerns maths that 36 games he's lost us.

Smithies on 09:55 - Sep 17 with 3547 viewssimmo

Smithies on 09:50 - Sep 17 by PunteR

undeserved? He's been one of our consistent players for the past 3 years. Although going on Northerns maths that 36 games he's lost us.

He's great then is he? You'd categorise him as a great keeper?

He's a decent shot stopper but he's average at most other things and downright dreadful at things like distribution and decision making especially.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies on 10:24 - Sep 17 with 3465 viewsfrancisbowles

If we leave out Smithies now, then when he does get back in, we have to start all over again with the nerves. Exactly what I remember from last season with McCarthey, decent game against Liverpool, then missed out through injury and when he comes back, poor on each occasion in FA Cup and League
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024