Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner 22:51 - May 29 with 10390 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 22:52 - May 29 with 3760 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I know it's show pony bollocks, but still and indicator of presence under pressure.

Swap Paxman for the EU or Putin and we'll get the gist.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 22:54 - May 29 with 3749 viewsJamesB1979

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 22:52 - May 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

I know it's show pony bollocks, but still and indicator of presence under pressure.

I thought Corbyn was better with the audience and May better with Paxman. I'd say a draw therefore. But won't Tory vote May and Labour vote Corbyn?
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 22:56 - May 29 with 3741 viewsflynnbo

No figures given by May at all.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 22:59 - May 29 with 3721 viewsBoston

Paxman....but it might help if he let people answer questions.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 23:17 - May 29 with 3679 viewsQPR_Jim

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 22:54 - May 29 by JamesB1979

I thought Corbyn was better with the audience and May better with Paxman. I'd say a draw therefore. But won't Tory vote May and Labour vote Corbyn?

I'd agree with that overall assessment but think Corbyn edged it overall, he kept his cool with Paxman and seemed to speak well to the audience. May was heckled a little by the audience but seemed to do better with Paxman. I can't stand his style of interviewing, trying to talk more than the person we want to hear from, because of that I'd put more weighting on the part with the audience.

Essentially you're right I'm probably more Corbyn than May so that's how I saw it, if I were the other way inclined I would probably have seen it differently. Essentially it's not a disaster for either candidate, so they can both take positives.

The TV debates so far have been quite strange really, this one set up a head to head between "the big two" in a sense whereas the other debate was almost like the "others" who are almost seen as less important by extension. So it was quite good for Corbyn to stick to his guns and refuse to debate without May else he would have joined the "others" group in the mind of voters on a sub-conscious level.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 23:26 - May 29 with 3662 viewsJamesB1979

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 23:17 - May 29 by QPR_Jim

I'd agree with that overall assessment but think Corbyn edged it overall, he kept his cool with Paxman and seemed to speak well to the audience. May was heckled a little by the audience but seemed to do better with Paxman. I can't stand his style of interviewing, trying to talk more than the person we want to hear from, because of that I'd put more weighting on the part with the audience.

Essentially you're right I'm probably more Corbyn than May so that's how I saw it, if I were the other way inclined I would probably have seen it differently. Essentially it's not a disaster for either candidate, so they can both take positives.

The TV debates so far have been quite strange really, this one set up a head to head between "the big two" in a sense whereas the other debate was almost like the "others" who are almost seen as less important by extension. So it was quite good for Corbyn to stick to his guns and refuse to debate without May else he would have joined the "others" group in the mind of voters on a sub-conscious level.

Agree on Paxman and a lot of what you say. To be fair, a lot of journalists seems to think that interrupting politicians is a sign of good journalism. It's just rubbish. Let them finish!

I've been labour, Tory and Lib Dems in last few elections. Corbyn has impressed me but just some of himself policies/views are not for me.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 23:48 - May 29 with 3618 viewsQPR_Jim

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 23:26 - May 29 by JamesB1979

Agree on Paxman and a lot of what you say. To be fair, a lot of journalists seems to think that interrupting politicians is a sign of good journalism. It's just rubbish. Let them finish!

I've been labour, Tory and Lib Dems in last few elections. Corbyn has impressed me but just some of himself policies/views are not for me.

I've never voted Tory but I've voted for both Labour and Lib Dem candidates , I've only voted at 3 elections so there should be plenty of time for that to change. I'm definitely leaning towards Labour based on their manifesto, prefer it to the Tory manifesto and as for Lib Dems I'm more turned off by Farrons personality than Corbyn overall.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 00:10 - May 30 with 3592 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

May I add that Jeremy Paxman attempted to become a Tory MP a couple of years ago.
Login to get fewer ads

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 00:18 - May 30 with 3577 viewsDannytheR

I've been very sceptical about Corbyn in the past, and I'm far from a tribal Labour supporter - I voted for them once in the last three elections.

But it feels like this time they're offering policies of real substance that might actually improve people's lives, and he at least *wants* to improve those people's lives in the first place.

Whereas I've been *genuinely* taken aback at just how poor Theresa May really is. After so many years in government I thought she'd at least be a slick operator, but outside of the 6th form debating society atmosphere of PMQs, she's dreadful - stiff, cold, cynical, terrified. The entire campaign has had to be structured around her inability to think on her feet or talk to normal people without a script, and the only new policies she has brought to the campaign almost immediately collapsed.

The irony - and again, this is genuine, not being said to score points — is that when her only card to play is her strength and conviction in Brexit negotiations, she has been exposed throughout this whole campaign as a wobbly busted flush.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 0:20]
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 00:44 - May 30 with 3536 viewskensalriser

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 00:10 - May 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

May I add that Jeremy Paxman attempted to become a Tory MP a couple of years ago.

I don't think that's true. The Tories invited him to stand as a candidate and he declined.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 01:07 - May 30 with 3519 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 00:44 - May 30 by kensalriser

I don't think that's true. The Tories invited him to stand as a candidate and he declined.

Apologies, I stand corrected.

However he has called himself a 'one nation tory'.

By the way I am in no way suggesting he was bias tonight, i'm just putting it out there.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 05:49 - May 30 with 3454 viewscaliforniahoop

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 00:18 - May 30 by DannytheR

I've been very sceptical about Corbyn in the past, and I'm far from a tribal Labour supporter - I voted for them once in the last three elections.

But it feels like this time they're offering policies of real substance that might actually improve people's lives, and he at least *wants* to improve those people's lives in the first place.

Whereas I've been *genuinely* taken aback at just how poor Theresa May really is. After so many years in government I thought she'd at least be a slick operator, but outside of the 6th form debating society atmosphere of PMQs, she's dreadful - stiff, cold, cynical, terrified. The entire campaign has had to be structured around her inability to think on her feet or talk to normal people without a script, and the only new policies she has brought to the campaign almost immediately collapsed.

The irony - and again, this is genuine, not being said to score points — is that when her only card to play is her strength and conviction in Brexit negotiations, she has been exposed throughout this whole campaign as a wobbly busted flush.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 0:20]

I thought JC did well, JP took it easy on the old goat as did the audience. JC has a social heart, May couldn't give a flying.... about anyone outside of the higher echelons of society.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 06:38 - May 30 with 3427 viewsessextaxiboy

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 22:52 - May 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

I didnt see it so cant comment or vote in your poll , but to equate an hours TV with Brexit talks is not a fair comparison .
Positions and counter position will take days and weeks to go back and forth , they wont be like buying a handbag in Ibiza and agreed in minutes. Unless of course our team led by whoever is PM just caves in .......
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 07:51 - May 30 with 3334 viewsdavman

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 06:38 - May 30 by essextaxiboy

I didnt see it so cant comment or vote in your poll , but to equate an hours TV with Brexit talks is not a fair comparison .
Positions and counter position will take days and weeks to go back and forth , they wont be like buying a handbag in Ibiza and agreed in minutes. Unless of course our team led by whoever is PM just caves in .......

...and therein lies the flaw in all this circus.

People, deep down, will make their choices on what they see and on the promises they hear rather than true facts and implications of the actions. Its easy to win the masses over by promising a reduction in Defence spending to increase spending on the NHS and Education ignoring the fact that now the masses have voted to make us 'independent', we're going to need our armed forces more than ever.

Also, just how many of these election promises will be kept? No-one is ever held to account later in their term and the electorate seem to forget by the next election.

As I say, a bloody circus that the clown Corbyn appears to be winning!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 08:27 - May 30 with 3271 views2Thomas2Bowles

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 07:51 - May 30 by davman

...and therein lies the flaw in all this circus.

People, deep down, will make their choices on what they see and on the promises they hear rather than true facts and implications of the actions. Its easy to win the masses over by promising a reduction in Defence spending to increase spending on the NHS and Education ignoring the fact that now the masses have voted to make us 'independent', we're going to need our armed forces more than ever.

Also, just how many of these election promises will be kept? No-one is ever held to account later in their term and the electorate seem to forget by the next election.

As I say, a bloody circus that the clown Corbyn appears to be winning!

If Corbyn is a clown what does that make May

If he is such a clown, and her much better how come she did not take him to the cleaners.

The press are mostly giving her an easy time over this, if Corbyn had been as bad they would have stuck the knife in.

The press are saying she was evasive no clear answers, under pressure from the audience one being a nurse, she was like a rabbit in the headlights.

How many times has she changed direction, was a reminder, not going to be an election, care plan.. hold her to account now and don't vote for her.

If anyone is a fake and weak it's May.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 9:33]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 08:32 - May 30 with 3258 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 06:38 - May 30 by essextaxiboy

I think that's probably true, so on that basis we'll go on what the German media printed about May and Juncker's meeting instead.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 09:03 - May 30 with 3175 viewsNW10Hoop

I'm not sure I've ever seen Theresa May give a straight answer. She just shoehorns in the clunky slogans that the Conservatives are hammering in this campaign.

Also don't understand how anyone earning less than Boris Johnson can be enamoured by him. Self serving, constant bullshitting, smug prick. He's so lucky he keeps getting offered another ladder to climb.... and that Diane Abbott holds his role in the shadow cabinet
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 09:03 - May 30 with 3174 viewsessextaxiboy

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 08:32 - May 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think that's probably true, so on that basis we'll go on what the German media printed about May and Juncker's meeting instead.

......and you are happy to accept that account ? Given the source of the leak ? Cmon, it was a pre emptive propaganda strike , the same as his ridicule of our language despite every interpreter in the EU using it as the common denominator, every pilot in the sky speaking it and the Eurovision conducted in it 2 days later .

The bloke is a lush and a blowhard
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 09:24 - May 30 with 3125 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 09:03 - May 30 by essextaxiboy

......and you are happy to accept that account ? Given the source of the leak ? Cmon, it was a pre emptive propaganda strike , the same as his ridicule of our language despite every interpreter in the EU using it as the common denominator, every pilot in the sky speaking it and the Eurovision conducted in it 2 days later .

The bloke is a lush and a blowhard

Yes.

And the timing of it.

Wouldn't have gone into that meeting with propaganda in mind, but might have done when he came out of it.

I'm no fan of Juncker or the EU, but billions of £s of industry and employment were potentially at stake in that meeting.

The whole BREXIT thing was based around a potential Norwegian /Swiss / Canadian model, but none of those countries were mentioned in the disparaging speech by Merkel yesterday so it isn't a case of Anglophobia.

Breaks my heart to see us boxed with Trump the way we were.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 9:24]
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 09:59 - May 30 with 3018 viewsRs_Holy

I dont have a scooby who to vote for right now... ???
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 10:00 - May 30 with 3016 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 09:59 - May 30 by Rs_Holy

I dont have a scooby who to vote for right now... ???

Labour

You know it makes sense Rodney.
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 10:00 - May 30 with 3013 viewsdaveB

Paxman came across as a complete arse, that question to Corbyn about what he would do if he had to do a drone strike in 20 minutes was bizarre, he just kept shouting over him and not letting him answer any questions.

Overall I thought Corbyn was miles better but he still won't win
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 10:07 - May 30 with 2997 viewsrobith

Corbyn by default. He was probably around a 6/10, but May was utterly appalling. It's very clear now why they didn't want a head to head debate. When she was getting grilled by Paxman the audience were openly mockingly laughing at her, until she decided to just say "no deal is better than a bad deal" 7 times in a row. I just zone out when she starts talking - it's just these long meandering, stuttering passages of nothing in particular which go on *forever*

Paxman though, jaaaaaaysus. He was awful. Kept shouting over the top of Corbyn before the guy had a chance to answer (did someone have a word with him? He then did give May a modicum of space to answer but my partner suggested it was a deliberate ploy of giving her enough rope), tries to reduce everything to yes/no answers (cos politics is that straightforward) and he seemed to go off on some properly odd and irrelevant tangents - asking Corbyn about nationalising banks, asking May if she'd walk away about 90 times in a minute. I'd have been interested to hear Corbyn defend how he'd be PM when the PLP try to overthrow him every few weeks, but no, Paxman decided what we needed to hear about was the monarchy and the Falklands!
Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 10:13 - May 30 with 2979 viewsdavman

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 08:27 - May 30 by 2Thomas2Bowles

If he is such a clown, and her much better how come she did not take him to the cleaners.

The press are mostly giving her an easy time over this, if Corbyn had been as bad they would have stuck the knife in.

The press are saying she was evasive no clear answers, under pressure from the audience one being a nurse, she was like a rabbit in the headlights.

How many times has she changed direction, was a reminder, not going to be an election, care plan.. hold her to account now and don't vote for her.

...and there goes my point flying way over your head. This should not be about Corbyn v May, it is their parties' manifesto.

Corbyn is a clown because he believes that if we disarm, the nasty boys in the world's playground will start playing nicely with us. If we stop intervening in the Middle East, terrorist attacks in our homeland will miraculously stop. We treat everyone with openness and trust because the they will do the same to us. That's going to happen, isn'T it?

May is not a leader in my opinion and her party's campaign is pitiful in that I see nothing of it on Social Media. But their strategy to cope with the global crash 5 or so years ago appears to have been spot on, whereas Labour would have taken us down a different path.

Neither fills me with any confidence to be honest.

Face it, all the words are bollocks as there won't really be that much difference whoever wins.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 10:52 - May 30 with 2893 viewsessextaxiboy

Battle For Number Ten (Channel Four) Winner on 08:27 - May 30 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Why didnt she take him to the cleaners ?

Well you and others have said that she just repeats the mantra and sticks to the script . A slightly silly analogy but she is like a boxer with a plan to comfortably win on points . She doesnt need to go for a big punch because she might get one back hence no debates .. she has taken a couple of lucky self inflicted shots but still believes that jabbing away and sticking to a plan wins ...IMO
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024