Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And if you close your eyes… — Signing 16:29 - Jul 1 with 9483 viewsNorthernr

Scowen signing thoughts

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45916
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 16:49 - Jul 1 with 4844 viewsTonto

Welcome.

I'm sure some of our crowd will be picking on him and claiming it's a terrible signing if he has 2 bad/average games in a row

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 17:04 - Jul 1 with 4806 viewsichbinnaughty

I just can't wait for him to fail.
What unbridled joy that will be.
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 17:21 - Jul 1 with 4771 viewsSonofNorfolt

Good, I haven't been to Corsica.
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 18:00 - Jul 1 with 4696 viewsBrightonhoop

Sounds the right sort, time will tell. I wonder if Mr Ainsworth was able to help influence his decision?

Did I mention i'm not terribly inspired whilst Ollie is still Manager?
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 18:13 - Jul 1 with 4663 viewsbosh67

Potentially a good signing this lad. Could be our 21st century Gary Waddock. Does look quite a lot like Grant Hall.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 18:56 - Jul 1 with 4569 viewsQPR_Nippon

Nice piece, Clive.

So how am I gonna be an optimist about this?
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 19:11 - Jul 1 with 4527 viewsBoston

Two healthy arms and legs, pair of eyes...I see we're breaking with tradition.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 19:43 - Jul 1 with 4478 viewsBoston

...and the more I look at that picture of him in the red shirt the more, I think he's that bloke in Coronation St who likes a drink.

Login to get fewer ads

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 19:49 - Jul 1 with 4473 viewsBoston

....and this.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=josh+scowen&qft=+filterui%3amsite-youtube.c

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 20:59 - Jul 1 with 4342 viewskropotkin41

Thanks for those thoughts, Northernr........... I have just lost the will to live, any sense of anticipation about next season, and any thoughts I had that football might just possibly somehow become fun again. Right, well, f*ck that then, I respect your opinion enough to have already decided to spend my match days reading novels, writing short stories and passing more time in the garden.

*Slams door on way out*

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 21:12 - Jul 1 with 4312 viewsBrightonhoop

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 19:11 - Jul 1 by Boston

Had a proper belly laugh on that one. Not done that since Arry signed Sandro.
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 22:02 - Jul 1 with 4209 viewsdavman

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 19:11 - Jul 1 by Boston

Jordan Cousins played 40+ games the season before we signed him too... Wonder if the pair of them will make 40 between them this season at our cursed sick note of a club?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 23:23 - Jul 1 with 4101 viewsdaveB

I'm not sure the club or Holloway can win at the moment. You go on social media the cry is we need more players, on here we need to stop the annual overhaul. I think both sides have a lot of merits.

For me I'd like to see what the club do this window before praising or condemning them. If it's the annual 10 out 10 in then I don't know what we are doing but I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they do. Holloway talking of needing several transfer windows sounds to me like he is not planning to bring in 10 players this window and then another 10 in january more like 4/5 now and then 3/4 in January but really it can be read either way.

I always think if you bring in better players than you selling and don't spend a fortune then we've had a good window. That was the case in January where we replaced Polter with Smith and Chery with Freeman, the incomings were a lot less than what we received for the two outgoings and imo both Smith and Freeman were an upgrade on what we had.

This time we've sold Gladwin and Doughty for fees and brought in Scowen on a free so to me thats decent business so far but remains to be seen how that goes.
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 23:55 - Jul 1 with 4054 viewsBrightonhoop

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 23:23 - Jul 1 by daveB

I'm not sure the club or Holloway can win at the moment. You go on social media the cry is we need more players, on here we need to stop the annual overhaul. I think both sides have a lot of merits.

For me I'd like to see what the club do this window before praising or condemning them. If it's the annual 10 out 10 in then I don't know what we are doing but I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they do. Holloway talking of needing several transfer windows sounds to me like he is not planning to bring in 10 players this window and then another 10 in january more like 4/5 now and then 3/4 in January but really it can be read either way.

I always think if you bring in better players than you selling and don't spend a fortune then we've had a good window. That was the case in January where we replaced Polter with Smith and Chery with Freeman, the incomings were a lot less than what we received for the two outgoings and imo both Smith and Freeman were an upgrade on what we had.

This time we've sold Gladwin and Doughty for fees and brought in Scowen on a free so to me thats decent business so far but remains to be seen how that goes.

Largely agree Dave but Warnock and Amit dunnit.

In one window and season.

Fck we need them now.

Holloway did not relegate us last time out but given a season this time, may well do. Fck me. All I require is hope. And I have none, overdrawn pre-season. I dearly hope to be wrong but also dearly hope Ollie is gone by October. I also dearly hope the above signed player succeeds in his career. ffs.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 0:00]
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 01:04 - Jul 2 with 3998 viewsPunteR

He looks like a perfect signing except its not really a position we badly needed so looks again like a signing for the sake of it.
He ticks all the boxes though and could be a massive player for us.

We need goal scorers. I think our defence and midfield should be more than adequate for this league.
Ball. Back of net. Its not rocket science.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 06:34 - Jul 2 with 3899 viewssuperhoopdownunder

So after 2.5 seasons with a DIrector of Football nothing has changed?
Our recruiting has been poor and we have fallen from 17th in EPL to just avoiding relegation to League One.
Money is tight yet we seem to still buy lots of players and then discard them quickly
where we would have made a loss (never disclosed)
When is the attention going to be on the DOF?

The club’s director of football Les Ferdinand has spoken of his desire to end this situation where twice every year QPR need to trade players in greater number than any other club in the division. Only one in four signings works out the way you would hope at any club, according to Ferdinand, and all the associated upheaval and uncertainty it brings isn’t conducive to successful squad building. With Rangers increasingly looking abroad in recent years, there’s also the added problem of long lag times while foreign lads acclimatise themselves to a new country, city, language, culture and, most of all, pig of a division.

Two and a half years into Ferdinand’s reign, however, the club’s blood lust shows no sign of abating. Rangers have, yet again, named a squad for a pre-season tour with a substantial wedge of the pay roll not included. There are a variety of reasons and circumstances why Michael Doughty (since sold to Peterborough), Ben Gladwin (likewise to Blackburn), Jay Emmanuel Thomas, Steven Caulker, Ariel Borysiuk, Nasser El Khayati and Mide Shodipo were not in Portugal this week but at a club that professes to be getting its house in order and tightening its belt after years of ruinous excess this cannot continue.

We cannot, every summer, go into the pre-season with six or seven good earners completely unwanted and ostracised by whoever the manager is. Gladwin, Emmanuel Thomas, Borysiuk and El Khayati were all signed under the current regime - managers other than Holloway of course but the director of football system is supposed to ensure continuity and joined up thinking from one manager to the next. Doughty had his contract extended and Shodipo has also signed an improved deal only to be something of a forgotten man less than a year after his 15 minutes as the club’s latest flavour of the month. Borysiuk was signed less than a year ago and looked promising in fleeting glimpses — bombed out. People talk about disposable fashion, QPR still believe in disposable footballers — this one doesn’t quite fit, doesn’t quite look as good as we hoped, don’t worry we’ll just buy another one.
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 08:11 - Jul 2 with 3815 viewsrsonist

I don't think there's now really any sort of signing we can make, or strategic direction we can take, where we can't wearily point to a failed recent precedent. New Rangers, old Rangers, rich, poor, international, local we've done the lot.

Personally my feeling is that something finally snapped in the fanbase towards the end of last season - one false dawn too many, and this after the nostalgic nuclear option in Ollie - and the whole relationship's just hanging limp like a dislocated limb. Guess there's just something about the "long losing run - long winning run - and again" that feels completely pointless compared to if you'd just jumbled them up and given the illusion of slow progress.

Transfer-wise there's obviously a big difference between Bad Signings and Good Signings Gone Bad but everyone's going to pretend otherwise in hindsight aren't they.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 8:12]
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 09:30 - Jul 2 with 3679 viewsWatford_Ranger

A 24-year-old free transfer who is on the way up. What's not to like?
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 09:50 - Jul 2 with 3654 viewsDejR_vu

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 01:04 - Jul 2 by PunteR

He looks like a perfect signing except its not really a position we badly needed so looks again like a signing for the sake of it.

We need goal scorers. I think our defence and midfield should be more than adequate for this league.

I think our defence is an absolute liability personally. And I'm not convinced our strikers are that bad, particularly compared to what we could realistically afford instead. I appreciate their returns weren't great last season but I think that's as much to do with the service to them than finishing ability. Sylla did pretty well living on scraps.

For me the defence is the absolute priority. You can't keep going in to games knowing that you're likely to have to score at least one, possibly two, just to get a draw. Get that sorted and you have something to work from. Get a style of play buttoned down and we'll start creating chances, the more we create the more we'll score.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 10:08]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 10:04 - Jul 2 with 3626 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I look through that squad and think it's ok, just need a plan and some organisation.

Bit worried about Holloway telling the players to be versatile this season via the Portugal diaries.
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 10:20 - Jul 2 with 3592 viewsdaveB

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 23:55 - Jul 1 by Brightonhoop

Largely agree Dave but Warnock and Amit dunnit.

In one window and season.

Fck we need them now.

Holloway did not relegate us last time out but given a season this time, may well do. Fck me. All I require is hope. And I have none, overdrawn pre-season. I dearly hope to be wrong but also dearly hope Ollie is gone by October. I also dearly hope the above signed player succeeds in his career. ffs.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 0:00]

They did have a decent squad to start with though. Connolly, Gorkks, Hall, Leigterwood, Ephraim, Helguson, Buzsaky and Faurlin were already at the club They also had a lot more money to play with in a transfer market which was a lot less inflated. To get the likes of Tommy Smith. Mackie, Routledge, Paddy Kenny and Adel now would cost around 20 million
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 10:23]
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 10:29 - Jul 2 with 3554 viewsderbyhoop

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 01:04 - Jul 2 by PunteR

From what I've read Scowen seems like a decent signing. 44 games for Barnsley last seasonand signed on a free. What's not to like.

I think he is a defensive midfielder. Hall did a good fill in job last year, but if that is where he is going to play, then the options in defence are weakened. If that's where we use utilise Scowen, then Hall can drop back. If we get Hoban, on loan, and Furlong cements his place as the first choice right back and, if Olly doesn't keep chopping and changing, we should be a bit sounder defensively. We need to be.

I still think we need at least one more striker, but if the service is better we should score more goals. I'd be surprised if JET has a role; if RGC or Eze can step up, so we may have to bring one in. Trouble is that is expensive.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 10:31 - Jul 2 with 3551 viewsdaveB

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 06:34 - Jul 2 by superhoopdownunder

So after 2.5 seasons with a DIrector of Football nothing has changed?
Our recruiting has been poor and we have fallen from 17th in EPL to just avoiding relegation to League One.
Money is tight yet we seem to still buy lots of players and then discard them quickly
where we would have made a loss (never disclosed)
When is the attention going to be on the DOF?

The club’s director of football Les Ferdinand has spoken of his desire to end this situation where twice every year QPR need to trade players in greater number than any other club in the division. Only one in four signings works out the way you would hope at any club, according to Ferdinand, and all the associated upheaval and uncertainty it brings isn’t conducive to successful squad building. With Rangers increasingly looking abroad in recent years, there’s also the added problem of long lag times while foreign lads acclimatise themselves to a new country, city, language, culture and, most of all, pig of a division.

Two and a half years into Ferdinand’s reign, however, the club’s blood lust shows no sign of abating. Rangers have, yet again, named a squad for a pre-season tour with a substantial wedge of the pay roll not included. There are a variety of reasons and circumstances why Michael Doughty (since sold to Peterborough), Ben Gladwin (likewise to Blackburn), Jay Emmanuel Thomas, Steven Caulker, Ariel Borysiuk, Nasser El Khayati and Mide Shodipo were not in Portugal this week but at a club that professes to be getting its house in order and tightening its belt after years of ruinous excess this cannot continue.

We cannot, every summer, go into the pre-season with six or seven good earners completely unwanted and ostracised by whoever the manager is. Gladwin, Emmanuel Thomas, Borysiuk and El Khayati were all signed under the current regime - managers other than Holloway of course but the director of football system is supposed to ensure continuity and joined up thinking from one manager to the next. Doughty had his contract extended and Shodipo has also signed an improved deal only to be something of a forgotten man less than a year after his 15 minutes as the club’s latest flavour of the month. Borysiuk was signed less than a year ago and looked promising in fleeting glimpses — bombed out. People talk about disposable fashion, QPR still believe in disposable footballers — this one doesn’t quite fit, doesn’t quite look as good as we hoped, don’t worry we’ll just buy another one.

should point out we haven't had a DOF for just 2.5 years, we've had one apart from the 2 years under Redknapp since 2007. Paladini did the role until he left then Mike Rigg took over now it's Ferdinand. Even under Redknapp the deals were done by Phil Beard rather than the manager

If Ferdinand was to go then someone would replace him in that role as it's a key position at any football club
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 10:48 - Jul 2 with 3499 viewsBlue_Castello

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 23:23 - Jul 1 by daveB

Agree with Dave the clubs in a no win situation if people are going to say we don't need more players when it's blatantly obvious the squad was just not good enough last year. Unfortunately the days of being able to wait a season or two to see if a player is good enough have long gone. Primarily players need to hit the ground running very quickly to ensure your squad has enough ability to maintain a very long tough season in the Championship.

Scowen from all reports sounds like an upgrade from the players we have released which is always the priority, there was no point in keeping Gladwin who was out of his depth or waiting another season to see if Doughty could find an extra yard of pace. We may well look a bit overloaded in midfield but there's a good mixture of players there with different abilities, all of an age where they have not yet fully reached their potential.
There's no doubt defence and attack are more of a priority but the club had the opportunity to get a good player on a free transfer and with FFP hanging around it makes sense to take one of Barnsleys best players if he's available and actually wants to come to the Rs.

As for the annual turnover of players it's been said before there are plenty of clubs in the Championship doing far more transfers and just accepting its part of building an improved team. IF Huddersfield hadn't brought in so many players, mainly on frees and loans it's almost certain they would not have got promoted. In January we only made three permanent signings, Freeman appears so far a definite success, Smith a good squad playe and Goss a player with serious potential who actually has a sell on value.
Admittedly not all transfers have been successful but it appears we are gradually moving in the right direction, I'm sure everybody's expectations will be low this year which means we will all be happy with a mid table finish.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 11:23]
And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 11:46 - Jul 2 with 3373 viewsPunteR

And if you close your eyes… — Signing on 09:50 - Jul 2 by DejR_vu

I think our defence is an absolute liability personally. And I'm not convinced our strikers are that bad, particularly compared to what we could realistically afford instead. I appreciate their returns weren't great last season but I think that's as much to do with the service to them than finishing ability. Sylla did pretty well living on scraps.

For me the defence is the absolute priority. You can't keep going in to games knowing that you're likely to have to score at least one, possibly two, just to get a draw. Get that sorted and you have something to work from. Get a style of play buttoned down and we'll start creating chances, the more we create the more we'll score.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2017 10:08]

Lynch, Onouha, Hall should be good enough in this league imo. Add to that Perch, Furlong, Bidwell, Robinson.
We won this league with Gorkks and Connerly as the CB pairing.!
Maybe then a DM is required in the Derry mould.
Agree about the service to the strikers but i lossed count the amount of times Washington had opportunitys but missed them. Hopefully he will improve.
Im not trying to knock this signing btw he could be exacltly what is needed. Just on the face of it we seem to sign lots of midfielders. We still haven't really replaced Charlie Austin.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024