Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U2/discuss 18:13 - Jul 13 with 2690 viewscharmr

Following on from The Smiths marmite chat heres a band that polarizes opinions.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2019 18:57]
U2/discuss on 18:27 - Jul 13 with 2671 viewsqprxtc

Got their name from XTC.

Zooropa is a great album. They’ve had some high highs and low lows.

A gazillion times better that the fecking Smudgers.

These are facts.
U2/discuss on 18:43 - Jul 13 with 2644 viewsdanehoop

Been some quite brilliant music/albums as well as some less good, but Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa for me constantly showed a band progressing and exploring, trying to improve and stretch themselves. They seemed to lose their way a little for a bit in later releases, but Songs of Experience and Songs of Innocence seemed to brings back again.

Always been a great live band, I've watched them from smaller venues in their early days, seen them at overseas venues, watched them at festival type events and their large stadium tours. I'm sure they will get a coating on here from some, but they for me had something a little different and original.

So, there, I've said it. I like U2.

Never knowingly understood

U2/discuss on 19:25 - Jul 13 with 2603 viewsrunningman75

I never got into early U2, somehow too young to understand the political significance. My brother's friend who was 3 years older bought the Joshua Tree on vinyl. I was round there and loved it and he taped it for me. Running to stand still is one on the most beautiful songs ever. I later bought Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby which I loved. Then Zooropa became a car crash to my love affair to U2. As a younger adult and spending a lot of mispent youth in Irish pubs around Kilburn/Cricklewood I then started to understand the significance of the earlier albums.
U2/discuss on 00:55 - Jul 14 with 2457 viewsDannyPaddox

So is Marmite the U2 of yeast spreads?
U2/discuss on 02:32 - Jul 14 with 2435 viewstimcocking

The Smiths, clearly, are superb. U2 also a good band. Don't let media hype put you off. You get a decent band, next thing the British media act like they're the only good band in history. Textbook UK media. What did they say yesterday, that it was 'a miracle' New Zealand qualified for the world cup final? A good effort, yes indeed, but a miracle? Hmmm, unconvinced. For me, the thing with U2 is the aggravating way Bono walks around with his sunglasses on acting as if he actually believes the hype. They're a good band, that's all. He's hard to like and clearly a pratt.

Somebody once told me that Bono was actually the tough kid in his school and when he heard a couple of the other kids were forming a band, he marched up and informed then he was the new singer whether they liked it or not. No idea of the veracity of it, but i liked it.
U2/discuss on 02:42 - Jul 14 with 2432 viewsbob566

U2/discuss on 02:32 - Jul 14 by timcocking

The Smiths, clearly, are superb. U2 also a good band. Don't let media hype put you off. You get a decent band, next thing the British media act like they're the only good band in history. Textbook UK media. What did they say yesterday, that it was 'a miracle' New Zealand qualified for the world cup final? A good effort, yes indeed, but a miracle? Hmmm, unconvinced. For me, the thing with U2 is the aggravating way Bono walks around with his sunglasses on acting as if he actually believes the hype. They're a good band, that's all. He's hard to like and clearly a pratt.

Somebody once told me that Bono was actually the tough kid in his school and when he heard a couple of the other kids were forming a band, he marched up and informed then he was the new singer whether they liked it or not. No idea of the veracity of it, but i liked it.

Best live band around. Only the stones can match their live longativity
U2/discuss on 08:02 - Jul 14 with 2355 viewsPommyhoop

Damn you anti swearing thingy.......
How am I supposed to comment ????

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

U2/discuss on 08:15 - Jul 14 with 2334 viewsEsox_Lucius

U2/discuss on 08:02 - Jul 14 by Pommyhoop

Damn you anti swearing thingy.......
How am I supposed to comment ????

Is this what you were trying to express?
http://is-a-cünt.com/category/bono/ (remove the umlaut)

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

U2/discuss on 09:14 - Jul 14 with 2297 viewsderbyhoop

Seen them live 5 times. Fantastic, overblown stage sets but So many memorable songs. Not many albums better than The Joshua Tree.
I want to run, I want to hide.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

U2/discuss on 10:26 - Jul 14 with 2244 viewsPommyhoop

U2/discuss on 08:15 - Jul 14 by Esox_Lucius

Is this what you were trying to express?
http://is-a-cünt.com/category/bono/ (remove the umlaut)

You got it...I also had a foreign one calling him El c'nto

edit first one said Bono is Gaelic for C@nt
[Post edited 14 Jul 2019 10:27]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

U2/discuss on 16:22 - Jul 14 with 2161 viewsdistortR

U2/discuss on 10:26 - Jul 14 by Pommyhoop

You got it...I also had a foreign one calling him El c'nto

edit first one said Bono is Gaelic for C@nt
[Post edited 14 Jul 2019 10:27]

over-rated, self-indulgent, pompous

the edge.

ffs
[Post edited 14 Jul 2019 16:26]
U2/discuss on 16:54 - Jul 14 with 2128 viewsFDC

U2/discuss on 17:05 - Jul 14 with 2117 viewsdistortR

U2/discuss on 16:54 - Jul 14 by FDC

I do like their track, "Eradicating poverty by avoiding tax".
U2/discuss on 17:30 - Jul 14 with 2101 viewsizlingtonhoop

Second most over-rated band ever
U2/discuss on 17:44 - Jul 14 with 2084 viewsdanehoop

U2/discuss on 17:30 - Jul 14 by izlingtonhoop

Second most over-rated band ever

Before or after the Jam?*

To be fair everyone will have a different opinion. But having seen them live from their early days to now I am not sure I agree. I think they definitely went through a patch where it felt like they'd lost their way somewhat after Zooropa. But prior to that Boy, October, Was, Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree I don't think were ever over-rated, but genuinely original and progressive albums.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I am a massive Weller fan.

Never knowingly understood

U2/discuss on 17:48 - Jul 14 with 2084 viewsizlingtonhoop

U2/discuss on 17:44 - Jul 14 by danehoop

Before or after the Jam?*

To be fair everyone will have a different opinion. But having seen them live from their early days to now I am not sure I agree. I think they definitely went through a patch where it felt like they'd lost their way somewhat after Zooropa. But prior to that Boy, October, Was, Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree I don't think were ever over-rated, but genuinely original and progressive albums.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I am a massive Weller fan.

U2/discuss on 18:00 - Jul 14 with 2076 viewssmegma

U2/discuss on 18:27 - Jul 13 by qprxtc

Got their name from XTC.

Zooropa is a great album. They’ve had some high highs and low lows.

A gazillion times better that the fecking Smudgers.

These are facts.

These are opinions and no im not a U2 fan. I only like Achtung Baby. Saw them twice on the first album tour and decided they were not for me. Saw the Smiths 4 times, the last time at the Rock Garden. Their fans were bellends. They had some good tunes and I thought Morrissey was hilarious then. Now he's a div.
U2/discuss on 20:27 - Jul 14 with 2021 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Not a fan but Bono has a great voice.

He went for a piss at TVC and started to sing in the bog and you could hear him through the walls like he was next to you.

He also asked me how the performance was (on the show not the bog) 'very good' I replied.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

U2/discuss on 13:49 - Jul 15 with 1862 viewsToast_R

Never really liked them. Way over hyped with average musicians. Thin Lizzy were a trillion times better and far more ROCK N ROLL.
U2/discuss on 14:04 - Jul 15 with 1835 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

U2/discuss on 13:49 - Jul 15 by Toast_R

Never really liked them. Way over hyped with average musicians. Thin Lizzy were a trillion times better and far more ROCK N ROLL.

Pretty much this for me.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

U2/discuss on 15:05 - Jul 15 with 1807 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bought their first single when it came out in, I think, 1976. They made some great music. Loved them for ages.

I think I would have gone off their music around Rattle or Hum even if Bono didn't develop an American accent overnight. And if, somehow, that didn't do it for me, then the tax-dodging would have.

Arseholes.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

U2/discuss on 15:44 - Jul 15 with 1766 viewsClive_Anderson

The Smiths were one of the greatest bands of all time and U2 were dull and Bono is a bit of a cnt.

Hope that helps
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024