Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Modern Football Became Broken 07:19 - Feb 13 with 2713 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-sup

Not just a financial issue for me. There is a democracy deficit too. Fans have no say about how the game is run.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 7:20]
How Modern Football Became Broken on 09:23 - Feb 13 with 2243 viewsRamseyR

Good article, followed up with another article tomorrow...how to save football
How Modern Football Became Broken on 09:34 - Feb 13 with 2227 viewsslmrstid

A fascinating, and somewhat depressing read. Thanks for sharing, look forward to seeing tomorrow's.

I'm sure this current period of fiscal dominance won't last forever, but when it will eventually stop is anyone's guess. I think I've been hearing people say since I was about 10 that the money bubble will burst eventually and it still hasn't 20 years on!
How Modern Football Became Broken on 09:37 - Feb 13 with 2220 viewsstevec

Excellent read. If you can, post their solution from tomorrow’s issue.

The proverbial elephant in the room is players wages, which is alluded to rather than actually challenged, so no change there then.

Would be impossible to enforce a salary cap so need to find a covert way to do it. UEFA, or whoever it is who has ultimate control, impose a levy on club income over a certain sum, say £30 mill, on an increasing sliding scale. Start maybe at 10% on income over 30 mill up to 50% over 100 mill.

Clubs would then take the shortfall out of player earnings, so their profits remain largely unaffected if they so choose and UEFA redistribute between lower league clubs ie EFL and their foreign counterparts.

If they threaten to jump ship as the usually do they’d have nowhere to go. Thing is, when you speak to supporters of the top 6 the vast majority hate the idea of a European super league if it meant leaving our league.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:21 - Feb 13 with 2125 viewsstowmarketrange

Interesting to read that one of the critics of it is the uefa chairman.I think uefa have done more to establish the disparity between the rich and poor clubs with their policies on the champions league.
How can any other domestic clubs compete with teams that are in their top competition and getting millions for being there season after season?

Clubs are going bust in this country for less money than a top club pays 1 player in wages a week.How can this be good for football in general?
How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:44 - Feb 13 with 2090 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Hasn't even mentioned (yet?) the big clubs raping small clubs through EPPP
How Modern Football Became Broken on 15:10 - Feb 13 with 1913 viewsStanFan

… or the Premier League killing the leagues below,

I still find it hilarious (in a very sad way) the financial FAIR play is a mechanism for stopping smaller clubs competing. What is fair about United spending £90m on one player while teams supposedly competing with them are only allowed to spend a fraction of that even if they (or their owners) have the cash to spend more.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 15:57 - Feb 13 with 1849 viewsWrightUp5hit___

To him that hath, more shall be given; and from him that hath not, the little that he hath shall be taken away." The rich have become richer, and the poor have become poorer: and the vessel of the State is driven between the Scylla and Charybdis of anarchy and despotism.

Either Gianni Infantino or Percy Byshe Shelley, I can never remember which.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 16:02]
How Modern Football Became Broken on 16:04 - Feb 13 with 1835 viewsSnipper

The sooner the big money European clubs fúck off and join a super duper closed shop European league, the bloody better.

I yearn for the 70s & 80s when teams like ours could have dreams of winning the league or getting to a cup final.

Money has totally destroyed our game.
Login to get fewer ads

How Modern Football Became Broken on 16:38 - Feb 13 with 1800 viewsrrrspricey

How Modern Football Became Broken on 15:10 - Feb 13 by StanFan

… or the Premier League killing the leagues below,

I still find it hilarious (in a very sad way) the financial FAIR play is a mechanism for stopping smaller clubs competing. What is fair about United spending £90m on one player while teams supposedly competing with them are only allowed to spend a fraction of that even if they (or their owners) have the cash to spend more.

FFP has come 20-30 year too late. Should’ve been brought in as soon as the likes of Abramovic and co started pouring obscene amounts into clubs.

I wasn't aware that the "big 6" commanded more TV revenue than others, making the gap between them and the rest even wider.

That and what Snipper said. Growing up I always started a season optimistically thinking we could do well in whatever division we were in or have a bit of cup run. Now, like the majority of clubs, it's all about surviving and dreams of cup finals are long gone
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 21:42]
How Modern Football Became Broken on 19:57 - Feb 13 with 1655 viewsthemodfather

the big teams want to protect themselves and their cartel, look at every league in Europe, its the same 2-3 teams winning it all...sometimes there's a Leicester or Alkmaar but not often, they want to keep the money for them not their league, then there's agents.....oh dear, 3rd party ownership! agents working for one club to benefit themselves. the game isn't local, its global and so the money has spiralled. ffp in theory was a good idea, but we jumped in too quickly, how much have Liverpool spent to win a prem lge? £1bn? £2bn? no ffp there ( yes they sell and bring cash in that way) some may different league but its the same game, football. same rules should apply.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 22:08 - Feb 13 with 1574 viewsSydneyRs

A reflection of society in general. The irony of people complaining about this while voting tory does not escape me.

Great article.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 22:26 - Feb 13 with 1565 viewsCiderwithRsie

Yep.

And the money originally came into the game via Rupert Murdoch.

The man poisons everything he touches while pretending that he is doing us all a favour.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 23:09 - Feb 13 with 1521 viewssmegma

Some interesting stats in the article regarding the amount of teams doing domestic trebles etc yet no mention of Scotland where that's been going on for over a century.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 00:07 - Feb 14 with 1490 viewsloftboy

Heavy and depressing reading, the game is fûcked unless the big clubs break away and let the rest of us compete on an even keel.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

How Modern Football Became Broken on 00:14 - Feb 14 with 1486 viewsstowmarketrange

How Modern Football Became Broken on 23:09 - Feb 13 by smegma

Some interesting stats in the article regarding the amount of teams doing domestic trebles etc yet no mention of Scotland where that's been going on for over a century.

In the 80’s there were other teams that won the Scottish premier league.That hasn’t happened for a long,long time and it probably won’t ever happen again.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 00:34 - Feb 14 with 1472 viewsBoston

How Modern Football Became Broken on 00:14 - Feb 14 by stowmarketrange

In the 80’s there were other teams that won the Scottish premier league.That hasn’t happened for a long,long time and it probably won’t ever happen again.

Since ‘85 unfortunately. Still remember enjoying Aberdeen winning it in 1980, nothing against Celtic or Rangers but ffs...it’s BORING.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

How Modern Football Became Broken on 00:43 - Feb 14 with 1471 viewsbob566

It really is a fascinating article. He's one of the best football journalists out there. We all knew it was a closed shop but it just highlights how closed it is. Really hope Leicester get top four now. Build their income and threaten the elite
again
How Modern Football Became Broken on 08:41 - Feb 14 with 1321 viewsozranger

One needs to remember that football is not just broken at the top, but also there are shysters at the lower levels and thus the need for some help, though I am unsure how far £16m will go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51460188
How Modern Football Became Broken on 09:53 - Feb 14 with 1264 viewssmegma

How Modern Football Became Broken on 00:34 - Feb 14 by Boston

Since ‘85 unfortunately. Still remember enjoying Aberdeen winning it in 1980, nothing against Celtic or Rangers but ffs...it’s BORING.

There's only been 19 occasions when either of the sectarian teams havnt won the league in over 120 years!! Makes EVERY country in the world seem like a level playing field.
How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:25 - Feb 14 with 1201 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What Can We do to Save Football? by BazzaInTheLoft 14 Feb 2020 12:25
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-super-clubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9334826.html

How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:36 - Feb 14 with 1180 viewsMick_S

How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:25 - Feb 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

What Can We do to Save Football? by BazzaInTheLoft 14 Feb 2020 12:25
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-super-clubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9334826.html

I didn't get too much from that other than the hope that the big clubs do one as soon as possible.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:48 - Feb 14 with 1159 viewsKonk

How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:36 - Feb 14 by Mick_S

I didn't get too much from that other than the hope that the big clubs do one as soon as possible.

There is zero chance of the richest clubs ever doing the right thing by the game, so an increasing number of match-going fans seem to welcome the idea of them fu cking-off to a European super league.

The Championship might not be the best from a technical perspective, but it's brilliantly competitive and that makes it a great league. I would happily go without watching my team play Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc if it meant that most clubs in the PL started the season with a naïve sense of giddy optimism rather than the prospect of either a grim relegation battle or the utterly depressing ambition of finishing seventh. Get shot.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

How Modern Football Became Broken on 13:08 - Feb 14 with 1131 viewsMick_S

How Modern Football Became Broken on 12:48 - Feb 14 by Konk

There is zero chance of the richest clubs ever doing the right thing by the game, so an increasing number of match-going fans seem to welcome the idea of them fu cking-off to a European super league.

The Championship might not be the best from a technical perspective, but it's brilliantly competitive and that makes it a great league. I would happily go without watching my team play Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc if it meant that most clubs in the PL started the season with a naïve sense of giddy optimism rather than the prospect of either a grim relegation battle or the utterly depressing ambition of finishing seventh. Get shot.

Nicola Cortese even sensed similar issues when he was working at Southampton. “Manchester United’s biggest fanbase is in Asia, and they would much rather see Manchester United against Real Madrid than Manchester United against us.”

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

How Modern Football Became Broken on 13:28 - Feb 14 with 1081 viewsdodge_stoke_r

How Modern Football Became Broken on 16:04 - Feb 13 by Snipper

The sooner the big money European clubs fúck off and join a super duper closed shop European league, the bloody better.

I yearn for the 70s & 80s when teams like ours could have dreams of winning the league or getting to a cup final.

Money has totally destroyed our game.

Exactly. And let the 11 "super clubs" have their own "super League" and play eachother 4 times a season, one monotonous, meaningless season after another. And watch the likes of Lyneker and Shearer sell it us as the Best league in work. Not for me thanks
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 13:40]
How Modern Football Became Broken on 13:37 - Feb 14 with 1066 viewsJuzzie

In the Metro today, Pep saying how he fears the sack if Man City don't beat Real Madrid, not Dynamo Kebab but Real Madrid, in the last 16 of the CL.
Then in the inside pages a player saying how intense the Championship is. No doubt fuelled by clubs desire to get the to PL and all the filthy lucre it brings.

Money has simply made the game impossible.

Here's an idea, bring PL and even Championship salaries down by 80-90%. They'll still be able to live a very nice life and maybe the huge pressure and expectations everyone places on them and the clubs will diminish.

Won't happen though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024