Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match 14:13 - Mar 29 with 3161 viewsThe_Beast1976

Anyone played a game/match of any sport at any professional sports grounds?

I'll start:

Football - Adams Park, Wycombe Wanderers. Played for Hillingdon Borough U18s against Wycombe's U18s under the lights in a cup game (may have been FA Youth Cup) in early 1990s

Cricket - Newlands Cricket Ground, Cape Town. Played for the Barmy Army against Talk Sport on the strip next to the test Match strip the day after the Test finished in January just gone. Gareth Batty got me out caught at square leg (terrible shot - should have put him out of the ground!)

[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 16:23]
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played a Full Game on 16:19 - Mar 29 with 2613 viewsPeterHucker

I’ve played on the hallowed turf at Loftus Road in a 5 a side tournament between fans groups.
Dave Thomas roped me in to play for the Kick Up the Rs team. I think he must’ve been desperate!
I think we lost every game.
One of the other teams had Richard Pacquette playing for them! He was a fairly established first team player for us at the time.
At one point we were both running for the ball and Pacquette was clearly going to get there before me. I tried giving him a little shove in the back and he jabbed me in the ribs with his elbow. I can still feel it now!

I’ve also played in a 5 a side tournament at Stamford Bridge. We got to use the home dressing room where I deliberately pissed all over the floor to show my distaste.

Also played at Aldershot’s ground a couple of times as a kid.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played a Full Game on 16:24 - Mar 29 with 2605 viewsThe_Beast1976

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played a Full Game on 16:19 - Mar 29 by PeterHucker

I’ve played on the hallowed turf at Loftus Road in a 5 a side tournament between fans groups.
Dave Thomas roped me in to play for the Kick Up the Rs team. I think he must’ve been desperate!
I think we lost every game.
One of the other teams had Richard Pacquette playing for them! He was a fairly established first team player for us at the time.
At one point we were both running for the ball and Pacquette was clearly going to get there before me. I tried giving him a little shove in the back and he jabbed me in the ribs with his elbow. I can still feel it now!

I’ve also played in a 5 a side tournament at Stamford Bridge. We got to use the home dressing room where I deliberately pissed all over the floor to show my distaste.

Also played at Aldershot’s ground a couple of times as a kid.

Good effort pissing on the floor
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 16:45 - Mar 29 with 2577 viewsplasmahoop

I've played cricket at some county outgrounds. The mote in Maidstone, tunbridge wells, gravesend, and guildford
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 17:42 - Mar 29 with 2548 viewsThe_Beast1976

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 16:45 - Mar 29 by plasmahoop

I've played cricket at some county outgrounds. The mote in Maidstone, tunbridge wells, gravesend, and guildford

Nice
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 17:49 - Mar 29 with 2541 viewsPunteR

Played at Bisham Abbey where England used to train. That's about it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 17:57 - Mar 29 with 2530 viewshamptonhillhoop

I've also played at Loftus Road, early 90's. I ran on and the first thing I did was boot the ball into the empty net at the loft end. I was happy after that. I also remember being surprised how big the pitch was and how enclosed you felt by the stands, and that was without anyone in them.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 18:03 - Mar 29 with 2519 viewscharmr

Also at LR, so red a hat trick in a 5-3 win. 2 in the school end and 1 in front of the loft.

You often here broadcasters bang on about Loftus Road being a small pitch, it isn’t.

New goal shape and tv made the goals deeper so length changed.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 18:20 - Mar 29 with 2495 viewsMrSheen

I played two years running in a City 5-a-side at St*mf*rd Br*dg*. We won one year, knocked out the defending champions who had one of Alex Ferguson’s sons playing for them. Sadly we were in the away dressing room each time. As has been mentioned, the field is enormous, with a hell of a camber. All the more remarkable that a player like Franck Leboeuf can ping the ball from one corner to the other.
Login to get fewer ads

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 18:30 - Mar 29 with 2473 viewsstowmarketrange

I played at loftus road on the old plastic pitch.I think it was the season before they tore it up,so late 80’s.It was the day after we’d played Newcastle at home and drew 1-1 if I remember it right.I also think Gazza was sent off in that game too.The cleaners were out in force clearing up all the bottles and cans that the Geordies had left behind,and there were a few empties around.
I was part of the group from Paddington post office who had hired the pitch,and they couldn’t find any mug to go in goal,so I got roped in.
There was a patch just outside the D at the loft end that was lower than the rest of the pitch,so it wasn’t in the best of condition.
I can’t remember the score but it ended with all 26/27 players on the pitch at the same time.A good laugh though with corners with 12 attackers to mark in the penalty area.
Just seen it was 21/22 Nov 1987.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 18:34]
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 18:35 - Mar 29 with 2460 viewsTomS

I played a hockey match in the Kensington Oval in Barbados in a tournament.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 21:49 - Mar 29 with 2376 viewsqueensparker

I once played for a celebrity team against an all-time Italy XI at Fiorentina’s ground around 2005 (I am not a celebrity in anyway but blagged my way along, long story). It was live on Italian TV and the ground was sold out, must have been 25,O00 plus there.

In our team were Rod Stewart, Gazza, Ian Rush, Di Canio, the pop group Five, Tony Hadley, Hucknall, Jason Orange, Steve Harris, Chris Evans (ginger one) Paul Young and our managers were Ranieri and Joe Jordan.

It was absolutely f–king mental. Four days of hanging out with the above in luxury in Florence, and only really Hucknall was a c*nt, the rest were amazing. I could talk about this for hours and have done!. We won on penalties. I contributed very little off the bench, but in training beforehand I’ve got a gif of me and Di Canio playing keepy uppy which is one of my life highlights.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 23:03]
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 22:37 - Mar 29 with 2338 viewsQPRSteve

My school (Christopher Wren) used the old White City Stadium for its annual sports day. I ran the 100 metres for my House once and in the proud tradition of my House came last.

Had a Saturday job at M&S as a teen and played five-as-side for my branch at Wembley Pool. Got booked and gave away a penalty,
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 22:40 - Mar 29 with 2335 viewssmegma

I played in the last game on the plastic in the late 80s. I had a nightmare, we all did, and lost 3-0 in the Post Office Cup Final. The best bit was we chose the home dressing room !!
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 22:57 - Mar 29 with 2312 viewsPunteR

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 21:49 - Mar 29 by queensparker

I once played for a celebrity team against an all-time Italy XI at Fiorentina’s ground around 2005 (I am not a celebrity in anyway but blagged my way along, long story). It was live on Italian TV and the ground was sold out, must have been 25,O00 plus there.

In our team were Rod Stewart, Gazza, Ian Rush, Di Canio, the pop group Five, Tony Hadley, Hucknall, Jason Orange, Steve Harris, Chris Evans (ginger one) Paul Young and our managers were Ranieri and Joe Jordan.

It was absolutely f–king mental. Four days of hanging out with the above in luxury in Florence, and only really Hucknall was a c*nt, the rest were amazing. I could talk about this for hours and have done!. We won on penalties. I contributed very little off the bench, but in training beforehand I’ve got a gif of me and Di Canio playing keepy uppy which is one of my life highlights.

Sorry what..?
How the heck did you manage to blag your way into that game?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 23:09 - Mar 29 with 2296 viewssmegma

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 21:49 - Mar 29 by queensparker

Ladies and gents, we have a winner !!!

Don't even bother posting now.

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 20:02 - Mar 30 with 2139 viewsDiggertheMole

Craven Cottage, Highbury, Berne - football as a schoolboy .White City, Crystal Palace (Athletics - I know its a cheat cos White City was only professional during Rangers' brief stay - not football); Tunbridge Wells, Canterbury, Maidstone - cricket- ground staff level. Like eveything else - not that great - was never gonna make it -but at least I've taken the pitch there.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 20:28 - Mar 30 with 2115 viewsGuppy22

I have played rugby at twickenham in a cup final for the team I played for
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 20:49 - Mar 30 with 2089 viewsqueensparker

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 22:57 - Mar 29 by PunteR

Sorry what..?
How the heck did you manage to blag your way into that game?

I was working for a big media place at the time and one thing led to another.

If we ever get out of this we can meet up at the Crown and I’ll and bore you sh*tless with all the photos I got. I still keep in touch with “Richie out of Five”, really nice fella. Sadly Rod Stewart and Steve Harris’ promises to keep in touch for another game in their mansions never quite materialised!
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 21:02 - Mar 30 with 2076 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Craven Cottage - missed a pen in front of the away end.

Estadio Jalisco - did a ‘Phoenix from the Flames’ reenactment of ‘that’ save by Gordon Banks. Me as Pele, my mate in an Rs shirt as Gordon.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 21:49 - Mar 30 with 2035 viewsstowmarketrange

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 20:49 - Mar 30 by queensparker

I was working for a big media place at the time and one thing led to another.

If we ever get out of this we can meet up at the Crown and I’ll and bore you sh*tless with all the photos I got. I still keep in touch with “Richie out of Five”, really nice fella. Sadly Rod Stewart and Steve Harris’ promises to keep in touch for another game in their mansions never quite materialised!

I’ve played against Rod Stewart and his vagabond team on his pitch a few times.I think he is a little bit too old now to still play but this was about 20 years ago.He was ok until we beat his team once and we were never asked back again.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 22:40 - Mar 30 with 2014 viewsOregonQPR

Craven Cottage - Company 5-a-side tournament a few times.

Selhurst Park - A group of us played every Sunday for a few weeks until one of those Sundays the gate at the corner flag of the Sainsbury end was opened and Ron Noades drove his Range Rover at us and told us to get off his f*8ing pitch. There followed a scramble up the Holmesdale terrace in football boots to climb the gate we had got over to get into the ground. Pukka times.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 01:28 - Mar 31 with 1950 viewsBrazilNutR

smoked spliffs and drank beer in the dugout and on the pitch at Oxford United's old ground (Manor Ground).. that's about as good as it gets.
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 09:20 - Mar 31 with 1855 viewsjoe90

Wow, sounds awesome!

How was Di Canio? Was he alright for a fascist?
Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 09:54 - Mar 31 with 1842 viewsngbqpr

I can't match queensparker's story, but mine was also in Italy. The company I worked for at the time were behind a big dance music event in Italy. Virgin Records arranged an Italian DJs vs UK DJs match at Rimini's stadium. I wasn't a DJ but as I was working at the event and offered to go in goal, I was in - it was sponsored by Kappa, so we all got full kits, and they printed a team sheet where, as GK, I was listed first, above the likes of Paul Oakenfold, Dave Seaman (DJ not gk) and Seb Fontaine. Paul Trouble Anderson and Nick from the TWA DJs had apparently both had trials at pro clubs, and were pretty tidy...but our 4-2 win was more due to the two ringers we had from WBA (the bloke from Virgin who organised it was a big Baggies fan and knew some of the players who liked clubbing). I saved a pen.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Professional Sports Grounds At Which You Have Played Game/Match on 10:50 - Mar 31 with 1789 viewsBoston

You’re a celebrity now!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024