Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 14:31 - Jan 28 with 1925 viewsNorthernr

Coney scored, we won on penalties, quarter final, anybody there, any memories? Might try and do it for the featured match but I've never seen footage, or heard that much about it.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 14:33 - Jan 28 with 1361 viewsMrSheen

Did Seaman save four penalties? (No, I wasn't there.)
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 14:34 - Jan 28 with 1354 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I was there.

Seaman saved four penalties in the shootout and I think - think - that they were the only four penalties he saved for us? He really was crap at penos and free kicks, probably the only flaw in his game, unless we're counting the moustache and the ponytail.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 14:39 - Jan 28 with 1335 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We had a really good record up there at the time and we used to get marched from every train station through the allotments, going through our repertoire of songs about sheep, tractors and families that were slightly too insular. We were a witty bunch.

We really treated Watford with disdain back then. I always liked and admired them, except for the horrible football they played.

As for the game, I can't remember anything except it was a small crowd of diehards from both clubs and - as ever, at Watford - a great night out.

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:09 - Jan 28 with 1296 viewsqprxtc

Popped along to that one. About the only thing I remember is that Seaman used up all his penalty saves for us in that one game.

Not many there, walk around the allotments. Small programme. Er....they played Diesel Park West on the PA before the game. Ummm..... we took the lead I think. Thirty two years ago , feck.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:14 - Jan 28 with 1285 viewsSimplyNico

Seaman also made quite a good penalty save v Scotland at Euro 96
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:28 - Jan 28 with 1258 viewsstowmarketrange

My first trip to Watford.Good night for us.Shame we lost in the semi final(?)
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:46 - Jan 28 with 1213 viewsSuperhoop83

Not exactly what you want but you can go to 5.20 for proof that it happened. I am a right sad statto but I have no memory of this result at all, which explains why I never knew Seaman ever saved a penalty for us. He was up there with Joe Lumley on that front.

Suffering since 1978.

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:23 - Jan 28 with 1154 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:46 - Jan 28 by Superhoop83

Not exactly what you want but you can go to 5.20 for proof that it happened. I am a right sad statto but I have no memory of this result at all, which explains why I never knew Seaman ever saved a penalty for us. He was up there with Joe Lumley on that front.

I thought it was Coney, but wasn't 100%.

How come none of us remember the game itself?

It was a night game, so we can't all have been plastered.

Login to get fewer ads

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:23 - Jan 28 with 1154 viewsTheChef

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:46 - Jan 28 by Superhoop83

Classic Mark Dennis at 7'20" - just a yellow mind

Phil Parkes still playing in 88-89?!

Lovely Kenny G-esque soundtrack as well.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:25 - Jan 28 with 1149 viewsMrSheen

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 14:39 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

We had a really good record up there at the time and we used to get marched from every train station through the allotments, going through our repertoire of songs about sheep, tractors and families that were slightly too insular. We were a witty bunch.

We really treated Watford with disdain back then. I always liked and admired them, except for the horrible football they played.

As for the game, I can't remember anything except it was a small crowd of diehards from both clubs and - as ever, at Watford - a great night out.

We had a strange relationship with Watford. I remember being horrified and embarrassed by the ludicrous idea that you would go to football with your family rather than with a bunch of similar disorderly Herberts, so we used to play up the unpleasantness against them, focussing on the Elton John Graham Taylor "partnership". What made them even more smugly unbearable was that however badly they played, they always beat us, until that away game in the League Cup, from which point we always beat them.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:32 - Jan 28 with 1135 viewsstowmarketrange

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:23 - Jan 28 by TheChef

Classic Mark Dennis at 7'20" - just a yellow mind

Phil Parkes still playing in 88-89?!

Lovely Kenny G-esque soundtrack as well.

Phil Parkes played exactly the same amount of games for us as he did for West Ham,but he never scored for West Ham.
Just googled it and he never scored for us either.Memory is definitely getting worse.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 16:35]
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:33 - Jan 28 with 1134 viewsqpr_1968

was a good night out.
about 10 of us met in rickmansworth and drank there, the western arms i think it was called.
got a couple of cabs to the game.
small crowd but noisy from the r's lot.
can't add much about the game thats already been said.
the usual walk round the allotments after, and back to god knows where after, euston i think.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:37 - Jan 28 with 1123 viewsHayesender

My first trip to Watford.

"I never felt more like having a laugh, whenever I see a watford scarf"

And of course the obligitary homophobic chants about Elton John, which we certainly wouldn't get away with now

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:39 - Jan 28 with 1119 viewsDavieQPR

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:28 - Jan 28 by stowmarketrange

My first trip to Watford.Good night for us.Shame we lost in the semi final(?)

Away to Everton 0-1.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:43 - Jan 28 with 1106 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:33 - Jan 28 by qpr_1968

was a good night out.
about 10 of us met in rickmansworth and drank there, the western arms i think it was called.
got a couple of cabs to the game.
small crowd but noisy from the r's lot.
can't add much about the game thats already been said.
the usual walk round the allotments after, and back to god knows where after, euston i think.

Ya, remember us being loud. And fairly offensive.

I have a lot of Watford connections these days through doing some coaching work with schools and the young kids I meet seem to view us as a rival. They weren't in my day, but I suppose they don't have many neighbours. Plus, we really did wind them up.

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:51 - Jan 28 with 1082 viewsstowmarketrange

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:43 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, remember us being loud. And fairly offensive.

I have a lot of Watford connections these days through doing some coaching work with schools and the young kids I meet seem to view us as a rival. They weren't in my day, but I suppose they don't have many neighbours. Plus, we really did wind them up.

I think the rivalry on their part might have been down to a lot of R’s fans living in the parts of north west London and the suburbs where their fan base were from.
I don’t know for certain,but I suspect there are more of our fans living there than there are Watford fans in west London.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:53 - Jan 28 with 1079 viewsNorthernr

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:32 - Jan 28 by stowmarketrange

Phil Parkes played exactly the same amount of games for us as he did for West Ham,but he never scored for West Ham.
Just googled it and he never scored for us either.Memory is definitely getting worse.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 16:35]

It got very, very harshly disallowed didn't it?
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:56 - Jan 28 with 1066 viewsgazza1

I was there, cant remember nofing except we won and we won o poenalties.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 17:02 - Jan 28 with 1044 viewsPinnerPaul

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:53 - Jan 28 by Northernr

It got very, very harshly disallowed didn't it?

Yes it did, as per the idiotic offside law as it was then.

He punted the ball into the oppo net and just because one of our players was standing in an offside position as the ball sailed 20 feet over his head, the goal was disallowed.

One for those who sometimes say they want offside to be as it 'used to be'

Mind you it can be pretty idiotic now as well!
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 17:03]
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 17:12 - Jan 28 with 1023 viewsstowmarketrange

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 17:02 - Jan 28 by PinnerPaul

Yes it did, as per the idiotic offside law as it was then.

He punted the ball into the oppo net and just because one of our players was standing in an offside position as the ball sailed 20 feet over his head, the goal was disallowed.

One for those who sometimes say they want offside to be as it 'used to be'

Mind you it can be pretty idiotic now as well!
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 17:03]

Almost the same happened to me in a friendly game about 20 years ago.I scored direct from a shot just outside the box but the ref said one of our players was offside on the opposite edge of the 6 yard box.The one time I got a shot on target too.B@stard.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 17:31 - Jan 28 with 977 viewsloftboy

I was there

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 17:55 - Jan 28 with 936 viewsessextaxiboy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 14:39 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I remember being in a big crush and being caught against the allotment chain link fence . I was like a fish in a net .
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 18:17 - Jan 28 with 919 viewsdenhamhoop2

I remember us winning on penalties and Coney scoring Herrera and Pizanti both played I was quite drunk having been on lash in Harrow for my Cousins Birthday it was a Mods/Bikers Pub anyone know the name
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 20:05 - Jan 28 with 844 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:39 - Jan 28 by DavieQPR

Away to Everton 0-1.

Missed quarter final against Watford.
I was at the semi final away to Everton.
We lost 1-0 and Pat Nevin scored a rare headed winner.
Disappointed at the time as this would have been another Wembley visit.

Notts Forest beat Everton 4-3 in the final.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 20:07]
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 20:17 - Jan 28 with 826 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 18:17 - Jan 28 by denhamhoop2

I remember us winning on penalties and Coney scoring Herrera and Pizanti both played I was quite drunk having been on lash in Harrow for my Cousins Birthday it was a Mods/Bikers Pub anyone know the name

King's Head Hotel basement bar is the closest I can think of.

Pool tables? Or can you remember!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024