Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? 22:03 - Apr 9 with 4040 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I never knew half of this. But a betting ad came on with The Long Man on it and there's a clip where we see a prolonged shot of his Rangers shirt, so I started googling to see if he's a Rangers fan or just enjoyed being a player here...

Apologies, it's Wiki:

Crouch was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire,[1] but his family moved to Singapore when he was one year old.[4] The move came about when his father Bruce, originally from Fulham, took up a job offer to work at a Singaporean advertising agency.[5] The Crouch family spent three years living in Southeast Asia, and moved back to England after Bruce rejected the chance to work in Australia.[5] They then spent time living at a YMCA in Tottenham before settling in Harrow on the Hill. Crouch attended Roxeth Primary and North Ealing Primary and began to play football with Northolt Hotspurs. He was then invited to join the Brentford Centre of Excellence in 1991 and he also played for the boys club West Middlesex Colts whilst attending Drayton Manor High School.[5] Crouch turned down contract offers from Chelsea and Millwall and instead joined Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 1994.[5] He did not stay at QPR for long, however, for in November 1994, the coaching staff at Loftus Road moved to Tottenham Hotspur, including its youth team manager Des Bulpin, who offered Crouch a contract at Spurs.[5]

Crouch's family were Chelsea supporters, and he became a ball boy at Stamford Bridge at the age of ten.[6] As a child, he attended some Chelsea matches.[7] Later, he told the Liverpool official website that despite this, he and his friends at the time were fans of QPR.[8]

So many points here:

YMCA
Harrow-on-the-Hill (very posh).
Roxeth (quite posh, feeder for Harrow School).
Never knew he was with Brentford.
Never knew that it was Bulpin who poached him.
And, that he is officially a Rangers fan.

I knew he donated £10,000 when we were in dire straits but never knew all of the above.

Is all this true, and I'm sure there's so much more you all can add to paint a bigger picture.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 22:06]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 22:17 - Apr 9 with 3006 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

How the fck did he fit in the seats?
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:02 - Apr 10 with 2843 viewsBoston

Brian, posh people don't live in the Tottenham YMCA, whatever their circumstances.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 1:03]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:13 - Apr 10 with 2820 viewsCiderwithRsie

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:02 - Apr 10 by Boston

Brian, posh people don't live in the Tottenham YMCA, whatever their circumstances.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 1:03]

Don't know that Harrow-on-the-Hill = posh either. OK, the actual top of the hill is pretty pricey and there's the school, but it could just mean around Harrow-on-the-Hill tube station which is just sort of ordinary basic Arra. Wouldn't be relying on wikipedia for much precision on that.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:20 - Apr 10 with 2811 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:13 - Apr 10 by CiderwithRsie

Don't know that Harrow-on-the-Hill = posh either. OK, the actual top of the hill is pretty pricey and there's the school, but it could just mean around Harrow-on-the-Hill tube station which is just sort of ordinary basic Arra. Wouldn't be relying on wikipedia for much precision on that.

No, I'm not judging at all.

I just find it fascinating, I know the area well and I have lived there and in places around it. YMCA to Roxeth School (if true) would show a great resilience in his family. I just think there might be a great story there. My main fascination is with him being a Rangers fan as a kid, which I had not heard before.

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 02:02 - Apr 10 with 2775 viewsBoston

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:20 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I just find it fascinating, I know the area well and I have lived there and in places around it. YMCA to Roxeth School (if true) would show a great resilience in his family. I just think there might be a great story there. My main fascination is with him being a Rangers fan as a kid, which I had not heard before.

Roxeth Primary is a 'standard' elementary school. I'd guess there'd be a wide range of the social strata within the student body considering the location.

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 02:03 - Apr 10 with 2773 viewsBoston

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:13 - Apr 10 by CiderwithRsie

Are you a local chap, Zider?

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 03:54 - Apr 10 with 2743 viewskarl

Early on in his podcast I'm sure he said that he was more of a Chelsea supporter in terms of going to games.but as with most footballers this was probably mixed up in terms, of being at different clubs at a young age?
Certainly speaks well of QPR and certainly talks about being local but to be fair to him he does recall all clubs he has been involved with favourably.
He does seem like a good lad, I like his podcast but I think the two lads who do it with him help enormously as they aren't sycophantic fan boys egging him on.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 07:45 - Apr 10 with 2614 viewsdaveB

He was a Chelsea fan as a kid, it broke my heart as well when i heard that
Login to get fewer ads

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 08:02 - Apr 10 with 2582 viewsJuzzie

He certainly was a QPR fan the day right at the end of season he and Stoke played at Loftus Road when he ducked and allowed a corner to land with Cisse who bagged the only goal of the game near the end. Kept us up that season.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 08:27 - Apr 10 with 2541 viewsMickS

Hotspur Road is in Northolt, by Northala Fields ( the four hills built from the old Wembley Stadium rubble) but I have never heard of Northolt Hotspurs FC.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 8:28]
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 08:28 - Apr 10 with 2539 viewslondonscottish

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 01:20 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I've heard him tell the story about going out drinking in Ealing after the playoff final singing Oh Bobby Zamora.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 08:42 - Apr 10 with 2506 viewsRrsssOntheline

I used to go to the old Roxeth Manor Secondary Mod in S.Harrow, late 60's early 70's. That was certainly not posh and more of a feeder to the lions school!
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 08:47 - Apr 10 with 2492 viewsgazza1

I understand that the primary school that he attended was in Pitshanger Lane, Ealing W5. The school was called North Ealing and is a well respected school. Not sure where Harrow on the Hill came from!!
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 10:00 - Apr 10 with 2387 viewshantssi

Drayton Manor were pony at football when we used to play them in the 70’s, if we didn’t run up a cricket score we’d be disappointed!
Even I scored a hat trick once!
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 10:05 - Apr 10 with 2375 viewsQPRSteve

I always thought it was Gerry Francis who took him to Spuds.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:27 - Apr 10 with 2273 viewsonlyrinmoray

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 08:28 - Apr 10 by londonscottish

I've heard him tell the story about going out drinking in Ealing after the playoff final singing Oh Bobby Zamora.

Think he was in the Haven Arms off Ealing Broadway
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:29 - Apr 10 with 2266 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 10:05 - Apr 10 by QPRSteve

I always thought it was Gerry Francis who took him to Spuds.

Well, I think Gerry took Bulpin with him if I remember rightly? Then one of them brought Crouch, I suppose.

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:42 - Apr 10 with 2230 viewsPeterHucker

I used to go out with a girl who worked at Bruce Crouch's advertising agency who told me that he went to a lot of QPR matches. This was a year or 2 before his son joined us.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:45 - Apr 10 with 2214 viewslosethedrum

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 22:17 - Apr 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

How the fck did he fit in the seats?

Fair question .
He has said he used to pay a fiver & stand in the south africa road paddocks .
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 12:25]
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:14 - Apr 10 with 2117 viewshamptonhillhoop

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:45 - Apr 10 by losethedrum

Fair question .
He has said he used to pay a fiver & stand in the south africa road paddocks .
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 12:25]

You wouldn't want to be stood behind him
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:26 - Apr 10 with 2090 viewsDorse

YMCA at Tottenham? I can just see him dressed in leather with a handlebar moustache.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:34 - Apr 10 with 2066 viewsstowmarketrange

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:14 - Apr 10 by hamptonhillhoop

You wouldn't want to be stood behind him

You wouldn’t want to be in the executive box behind him either.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:45 - Apr 10 with 2042 viewsTacticalR

OK, I am a bit confused. Is he not actually an R but has R tendencies?

Air hostess clique

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:50 - Apr 10 with 2022 viewsstowmarketrange

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:45 - Apr 10 by TacticalR

I think his schoolmates were R’s fans and I suppose he just went along with them so that he wouldn’t be the odd one out.Not that being 7 foot tall would make him stand out more than not being a ranger.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 14:11 - Apr 10 with 1968 viewslosethedrum

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:45 - Apr 10 by TacticalR

In the interview i saw he explained that his dad took him to Chelsea as a young lad but that as he started to go to games under his own steam ( without dad ) he thought that paying £5 to stand in the Paddocks & watch premier league football was great .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024