Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
well done southgate 18:54 - Jun 29 with 2093 viewsqpr_1968

what do us experts know.
congratulations to england and all he boys.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

well done southgate on 19:20 - Jun 29 with 2029 views80s_Boy

I'm delighted that he's proved me to be not only wrong but an idiot too!

Thank you GS!!
well done southgate on 19:30 - Jun 29 with 1990 viewsbosh67

I was underwhelmed by the selection but this team, apart from the mistake that leads to the Muller miss looks so strong at the back. That is a big part of this tournament and it goes to prove that if you leave a manager in place to build a team and grow players then good things come and Southgate is very much the right man for us over the next X years to come.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

well done southgate on 19:37 - Jun 29 with 1961 viewsdaveB

got the team and tactics bang on same with his subs. Critics need to have a day off

It's coming home
well done southgate on 19:44 - Jun 29 with 1918 viewsJuzzie

I was also hoping for Grealish to start so when he didn't it felt to me as though things would be kept tight until 20-30 minutes left then bring him on, fresh pair of legs and a potent threat at that. It worked.

A few scares but I expected there to be and it wasn't pretty for most of the game (it was never going to emulate last nights games) but we won and that's the important thing. No goals conceded (or at all in the whole tournament so far, amazing), no extra time, no penalties.

Nice.

Great win and onwards to meet Spain or Sweden Saturday night.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 19:46]
well done southgate on 19:46 - Jun 29 with 1899 viewsqpr_1968

well done southgate on 19:44 - Jun 29 by Juzzie

I was also hoping for Grealish to start so when he didn't it felt to me as though things would be kept tight until 20-30 minutes left then bring him on, fresh pair of legs and a potent threat at that. It worked.

A few scares but I expected there to be and it wasn't pretty for most of the game (it was never going to emulate last nights games) but we won and that's the important thing. No goals conceded (or at all in the whole tournament so far, amazing), no extra time, no penalties.

Nice.

Great win and onwards to meet Spain or Sweden Saturday night.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 19:46]

ukraine.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

well done southgate on 19:48 - Jun 29 with 1882 viewsJuzzie

well done southgate on 19:46 - Jun 29 by qpr_1968

ukraine.

Them too!

(Sweden or Ukraine on Saturday night)
well done southgate on 20:14 - Jun 29 with 1768 viewstraininvain

I have it on good authority that Grealish is carrying a knock. Southgate’s managing the situation brilliantly.
well done southgate on 20:26 - Jun 29 with 1723 viewsSK_hoops

well done southgate on 20:14 - Jun 29 by traininvain

I have it on good authority that Grealish is carrying a knock. Southgate’s managing the situation brilliantly.

I wonder when the last time a team have played their first 4 games in the Euros without conceding?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 20:29]
Login to get fewer ads

well done southgate on 22:10 - Jun 29 with 1512 viewskensalriser

well done southgate on 20:26 - Jun 29 by SK_hoops

I wonder when the last time a team have played their first 4 games in the Euros without conceding?

No other team in this tournament, that's for sure.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

well done southgate on 05:52 - Jun 30 with 1308 viewsMatch82

well done southgate on 20:26 - Jun 29 by SK_hoops

There was something on the BBC, second time is happened after Germany in 2016
well done southgate on 10:34 - Jun 30 with 1091 viewsdaveB

Plenty going around taking the piss out of Southgate calling him a fraud, that tweet about where he finished for Middlesbrough and only beating Colombia and Sweden in the World cup completely ignoring the face we went out to Iceland before he took over.

Anyway few interesting stats on Southgate. First England manager ever to qualify for the knockouts with a game to spare 2 tournaments in a row.
First England manager since Alf Ramsey to follow up a Semi Final in the World Cup with a Quarter FInal in the Euros
First England manager ever to win a knockout game in the Euros in 90 minutes
well done southgate on 11:07 - Jun 30 with 1041 viewsToast_R

I saw this and in my rather merry state last night, thought it was very moving

well done southgate on 11:27 - Jun 30 with 1015 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I was in the middle of criticising the plan to sub Rice for Henderson for being too negative.

Then our second goal went in and it was completely irrelevant 🤷‍♂️

Poll: Expectations for this season?

well done southgate on 12:03 - Jun 30 with 952 viewsSnipper

I was very sceptical when I saw the team line up. I thought he was being far too defensive. I wasn’t the only one either. Loads of mates were saying the same thing.

The reason i was sceptical is that this is one of the worst German teams I’ve seen in my 54 years. Their Euro 2000 team was the worst. Yet we lined up as if we were scared of them.

Timo Werner should’ve scored in the first half. If that thunderbolt from Havertz was a foot either side, then it was a goal.
Muller missing that one on one was unbelievable.

If those had gone in, and we’d have gone out, Southgate would’ve been slaughtered.

England have been mainly one dimensional in all the years I’ve watched them.
Southgate is a more defence minded manager, and me and many other England fans are not used to it.
But hey, it works.

I had mates lucky enough to be there yesterday. They said the atmosphere was electric. It came across like that watching it at home.

It’s not pretty to watch, but it’s effective.

If I get to see England win a major trophy playing negative methodical football, then I’ll be bloody delighted. We’d all love to do it with panache, but we’ve been starved long enough.

Three games to glory.

In Southgate I trust.
well done southgate on 12:37 - Jun 30 with 893 viewsrobith

I went to watch with my old man which meant I had to travel through Wembley about 1:30.

Literally everyone on the tube was slating the leaked team, suggesting they sell their tickets, wasn't even worth going, Southgate should be sacked on the spot etc etc

Football is so often wasted on football fans
well done southgate on 12:48 - Jun 30 with 876 viewsdaveB

I thought he got the tactics spot on. Germany are a decent side and have some really good players. Playing with wing backs did nullify their main area of strength and the 2 in midfield never gave Kroos any time to start controlling the game. They did a similar job on Modric.

Look at previous tournament winners and finalists very few of them play expansive football, you have to be pragmatic and very hard to beat. With the forwards we have if we keep clean sheets we are likely to win games.
well done southgate on 13:02 - Jun 30 with 831 viewsTheChef

well done southgate on 12:37 - Jun 30 by robith

I went to watch with my old man which meant I had to travel through Wembley about 1:30.

Literally everyone on the tube was slating the leaked team, suggesting they sell their tickets, wasn't even worth going, Southgate should be sacked on the spot etc etc

Football is so often wasted on football fans

Ha! It is frustrating because we have so much attacking talent in the squad - but then tournaments tend to be won through pragmatism rather than expansive football.

Southgate has got it right up to this point, so fair play to him and the players.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

well done southgate on 13:09 - Jun 30 with 823 viewsRanger_Things

It’s almost as if Southgate knows more about tactics and his players than the “I played 2 games for Hayes reserves” pub experts. Almost.
well done southgate on 15:10 - Jun 30 with 713 viewsfrancisbowles

There seems to be a few of our posters who haven't been on in a while.
well done southgate on 15:22 - Jun 30 with 692 viewsderbyhoop

I'll hold my hands up to being underwhelmed by the team selection.

At HT I thought Shaw and Kane were hopeless. Then Shaw made the first and Kane scored the second. So I'm another know nothing.

What was impressive was that both Saka and Sterling had the pace to worry the German defence, once they started to get into it.
Also thought, Walker was immense.

2 QPR connections - Walker and Sterling.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024