Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
#1 Best Meal 02:09 - Jul 17 with 6082 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Counter to the overrated food Thread.

Pick one.

- What
- Where
- When
- Why
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 2:09]
#1 Best Meal on 02:15 - Jul 17 with 3630 viewsBoston

At the moment, actually for the last few years….chopped mackerel mixed in an Italian style white clam sauce, over linguine.

Just like my Irish mother used to make.😉
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 2:17]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

#1 Best Meal on 02:20 - Jul 17 with 3627 viewskarl

For me a good steak.

It has to be remembered that salt and fat are the main flavours we (non vegans and vegetarians of course) enjoy so the balance of them is important.

I had goose barnacles (world's most dangerous profession is gathering these in Galicia) and basically what you're tasting is salt water. Not unpleasant but 100 euros for about 3 or 4 each as a platter for 4 is stretching it.
Velvet crabs are a beautiful delicacy but get the salt wrong and they'd run you out of town in Northern Spain
#1 Best Meal on 02:27 - Jul 17 with 3617 viewsBoston

#1 Best Meal on 02:20 - Jul 17 by karl

For me a good steak.

It has to be remembered that salt and fat are the main flavours we (non vegans and vegetarians of course) enjoy so the balance of them is important.

I had goose barnacles (world's most dangerous profession is gathering these in Galicia) and basically what you're tasting is salt water. Not unpleasant but 100 euros for about 3 or 4 each as a platter for 4 is stretching it.
Velvet crabs are a beautiful delicacy but get the salt wrong and they'd run you out of town in Northern Spain

Dunno, steward at Wembley is pretty hairy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

#1 Best Meal on 02:40 - Jul 17 with 3614 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My Big Brother, Paul, hardly ever cooks but he does Johnny Dory better than anyone I know.

Pan-fried in milk, with butter and onions, couple of no-tell herbs, white wine in the pan and white wine in the glass.

Then back to the stout.

1994, late some night, Rínn Beag, Rínn an Bháid, Beara, West Cork.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

#1 Best Meal on 02:50 - Jul 17 with 3607 viewskarl

#1 Best Meal on 02:40 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

My Big Brother, Paul, hardly ever cooks but he does Johnny Dory better than anyone I know.

Pan-fried in milk, with butter and onions, couple of no-tell herbs, white wine in the pan and white wine in the glass.

Then back to the stout.

I take it the Cork was popped that night Brian? 😁
#1 Best Meal on 02:56 - Jul 17 with 3599 viewsBrianMcCarthy

#1 Best Meal on 02:50 - Jul 17 by karl

I take it the Cork was popped that night Brian? 😁

I could tell you it wasn't, Karl, but I'd hate to tell a lie.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

#1 Best Meal on 07:03 - Jul 17 with 3524 viewsdmm

A lunch of hand made pear and ricotta tortellini and salad in Florence about 6 years ago. Italian food is my favourite and this was a beautiful example - the best fresh ingredients possible, simply but perfectly cooked. The meal brought tears to my eyes.
#1 Best Meal on 07:36 - Jul 17 with 3503 viewsDWQPR

#1 Best Meal on 02:40 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Then back to the stout.

Hate to quibble with you Brian but would that not be poached?

On New Years Eve I make a Beef Wellington. Everything done from scratch. Accompanied by either dauphinoise potatoes or champ but made with leeks and not spring onions accompanied by a port reduction.

Love game. Has a whole different flavour than your standard meats and even better that for birds you can cook them rare. One stand out meal I had as a starter in Barbados a few years back was Barracuda tartare.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

#1 Best Meal on 07:45 - Jul 17 with 3488 viewsToast_R

Where I live south of the river in Molesey, there was until quite recently, a rather unique French restaurant "Le Chien Qui Fume"

First time I went there with the family I ordered Roasted Partridge. Never had it before but my word it was absolutely superb. Potatoes and vegetables in some red wine sauce. Absolutely divine experience.

The chap that owned and waited in the restaurant was an Italian man named Luigi. His wife was French and their sons were the chefs. He'd tell us about growing up under Mussolini's rule. A very interesting and entertaining evening.

Sadly it closed down a couple of years ago. He was well in his 80s and I think the restaurant had been struggling a while. Shame. Not too many proper French restaurants left. Now it's re-opend another bloody Pizza place. Like we needed more of those...
#1 Best Meal on 08:14 - Jul 17 with 3465 viewsMick_S

My very best meal was a couple of years ago in Kalami, north east Corfu. The restaurant is also a small hotel and is where Laurence Durrell penned a book or two. The setting is absolutely stunning, perched on a rock a couple of metres above the sea, with customers arriving by boat or water taxi to get their table. I had an ouzo, a beer, mackerel pate and then a steak. We had an outside table and it was perfect.

Closer to home, my Dad’s rotisserie bbq’s with all the Cypriot accompaniments were just fantastic.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

#1 Best Meal on 08:36 - Jul 17 with 3430 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm not really a foodie but the brai I had in Cape Town in 2006 really sticks in my mind.
The quality of the meat really made me realize how bad ours is by comparison.

Boerewors dogs and Kudu burgers nom nom nom.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

#1 Best Meal on 09:20 - Jul 17 with 3388 viewsdmm

#1 Best Meal on 08:36 - Jul 17 by Metallica_Hoop

I'm not really a foodie but the brai I had in Cape Town in 2006 really sticks in my mind.
The quality of the meat really made me realize how bad ours is by comparison.

Boerewors dogs and Kudu burgers nom nom nom.

Yep, the best braai I had was in Stellenbosch, just to the west of Cape Town. It was an oily fish called Snoek, which I've never seen here. They really know how to BBQ in SA.
#1 Best Meal on 09:53 - Jul 17 with 3342 viewsRamseyR

Mussels & chips (Moules & frites) in a garlic and white wine sauce, with a nice bit of bread, anywhere in France, but preferably on a warm afternoon or evening.

Calamari & chips in Northern Spain with a local cider. I could have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Both relatively cheap meals, served everywhere
#1 Best Meal on 09:56 - Jul 17 with 3334 viewsEsox_Lucius

#1 Best Meal on 09:20 - Jul 17 by dmm

Yep, the best braai I had was in Stellenbosch, just to the west of Cape Town. It was an oily fish called Snoek, which I've never seen here. They really know how to BBQ in SA.

Snoek was plentiful during the 39-45 war I believe.
Best meal ended up being a toss up between Orange Ruffe stuffed with Blue Crab in an Orange sauce with petit pois and baby potatoes which I had in a small family restaurant in Sidney, Ohio or the Maine style Crab Cakes with fresh salad I had in a small fish restaurant somewhere on Route 1 between Portland & Portsmouth. My wife makes a very good stab at replicating the Crab cakes but it is reliant on us having Old Bay Seasoning in the house.

The grass is always greener.

#1 Best Meal on 10:04 - Jul 17 with 3320 viewsloftboy

In the suburbs of Berlin somewhere in spandaeu I had an incredible steak.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

#1 Best Meal on 11:21 - Jul 17 with 3244 viewsLythamR

I have been lucky to have some wonderful meals in great locations around the world with fantastic company.

However the most enjoyable was a Burger King Whopper meal i had at Woolley Edge services on the M1 heading home after the Hillsborough promotion game
#1 Best Meal on 12:02 - Jul 17 with 3208 viewsQPRSteve

There was a Chinese restaurant in the 80's in Lisle Street, Soho, called the Diamond. Best Chinese food I've ever had. The sea bass was superb.

I believe it got fire-bombed and re-opened under a new name.
#1 Best Meal on 12:19 - Jul 17 with 3179 viewsenfieldargh

Best meal I had was in Nan District of North Eastern Thailand, walking down a mountain(felt like a mountain) came across a ramshackle restaurant. Sat on rickety plastic stools and the tables were planks of wood resting on barrels.

Kai yung kow neow, or grilled chicken sticky rice, the chicken was the most amazing food i have ever eaten.

Gonna start a new thread on best ever roads driven

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

#1 Best Meal on 12:40 - Jul 17 with 3160 viewsMancR

#1 Best Meal on 11:21 - Jul 17 by LythamR

I have been lucky to have some wonderful meals in great locations around the world with fantastic company.

However the most enjoyable was a Burger King Whopper meal i had at Woolley Edge services on the M1 heading home after the Hillsborough promotion game

The KFC somewhere on the M5, after the Cardiff 2 Adel 2 wasn't bad either
#1 Best Meal on 12:46 - Jul 17 with 3154 viewsHamptonR

My best meal was Monkfish and Oxtail, I had never eaten Monkfish before and had only ever had Oxtail soup.
The two together was amazing, at Pennyhill Park, Bagshot
#1 Best Meal on 14:10 - Jul 17 with 3105 viewsWokingR

There’s a small fish restaurant in Teignmouth, called the Crab Shack. They have their own fishing boat and basically serve whatever they have caught that morning. You’ll struggle to eat anything fresher.
#1 Best Meal on 14:21 - Jul 17 with 3094 viewsdistortR

I wonder if, being a vegetarian, the highs and lows of food are so pronounced for me?

Anyway, don't eat out much, and I'm going to cheat Baz - one place and one meal.

Syrian place in the Bush that has been in time outs best cheap eats recommendations.
love the food, the service, the coffee and if I'm in there I'm with the best of mates and Rangers are playing - unbeatable.

Also - little bistro near me. At the time owned by a bloke called karl, who has had a few places on the island and drank the profits out of all of them before being evicted!
Anyway, booked the place for an evening, my family of 7 and the mother-in-law. He was on form, the food was simple but absolutely delicious, good ingredients perfectly cooked. I'm not a bad cook and too often come back from a place thinking I could do better, but not that day
#1 Best Meal on 14:34 - Jul 17 with 3089 viewsBlackCrowe

So many memorable meals but one that stands was probably the simplest. A trattoria on the shingley sand of a tiny Amalfi coast beach, fettucine and clams cooked in white wine and garlic, washed down a bottle or two of white. That was memorable.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

#1 Best Meal on 15:01 - Jul 17 with 3047 viewsdannyblue

So many great meals, but I'll choose one.

I was a kid, went to a friend's house. His mum was Persian. She cooked the most amazing meal which I now know is called khoresh gourmeh sabzi.

The rice was so fluffy, and buttery, with saffron, and was served like a cake by the slice with a golden brown crispy caramelised edge (which I now know is called Ta diq - bottom of the pot).

The stew, with succulent lamb, and herbs, was flavoured with dried limes. I'd never tasted anything like it.

I just didn't know that food could taste so interesting and alive. I've chased that experience ever since but most persian restaurant versions have been pretty bland in comparison, sadly.
#1 Best Meal on 15:09 - Jul 17 with 3035 viewsMick_S

#1 Best Meal on 15:01 - Jul 17 by dannyblue

So many great meals, but I'll choose one.

I was a kid, went to a friend's house. His mum was Persian. She cooked the most amazing meal which I now know is called khoresh gourmeh sabzi.

The rice was so fluffy, and buttery, with saffron, and was served like a cake by the slice with a golden brown crispy caramelised edge (which I now know is called Ta diq - bottom of the pot).

The stew, with succulent lamb, and herbs, was flavoured with dried limes. I'd never tasted anything like it.

I just didn't know that food could taste so interesting and alive. I've chased that experience ever since but most persian restaurant versions have been pretty bland in comparison, sadly.

I’m having a go at that - nice one db.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024