Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
#1 Best Meal 02:09 - Jul 17 with 6215 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Counter to the overrated food Thread.

Pick one.

- What
- Where
- When
- Why
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 2:09]
#1 Best Meal on 15:25 - Jul 17 with 1830 viewsdannyblue

#1 Best Meal on 15:09 - Jul 17 by Mick_S

I’m having a go at that - nice one db.

Let me know how you get on. I've tried, but always missing something. Probably not enough butter and patience with the rice, and rushing the stew.
#1 Best Meal on 16:10 - Jul 17 with 1795 viewsderbyhoop

I've been lucky enough to eat Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons on 3 occasions, but even that was topped by Pierre Gagnier's place just off the Champs Elysees in Paris.
My 60th birthday
Can't remember all we had but the dessert was strawberry based - served 6 ways. And you were supposed to eat it in a specific order.
Afterwards they gave us a tour of the kitchens, which, after lunch, was absolutely spotless. And calm.

Just to lower the tone, we had a coffee at the back of McDonalds (the front was too poncy and pricey) before we sat down to lunch.

Pretentious - moi?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

#1 Best Meal on 16:14 - Jul 17 with 1790 viewsMick_S

#1 Best Meal on 15:25 - Jul 17 by dannyblue

Let me know how you get on. I've tried, but always missing something. Probably not enough butter and patience with the rice, and rushing the stew.

I will mate. Proper slow weekend job. Got to get dried limes. I think I’ll be ok with the burnt rice.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

#1 Best Meal on 17:58 - Jul 17 with 1758 viewsdmm

I think we might need a new thread called #1 Best Meal I Cook. Sounds like we've got a few good cooks on here.
#1 Best Meal on 18:05 - Jul 17 with 1751 viewsqpr_1968

nothing elaborate, just a good hearty roast dinner, any day of the week.

wensleydale pantry in hawes, yorkshire dales.

my favourite restaurant shut down a few years ago.
the singapore mandarin in holland park avenue, everything in there was superb.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

#1 Best Meal on 18:20 - Jul 17 with 1734 viewsPaddyhoops

Any meal on a beachfront restaurant on a Greeek/ Cypriot which involves kleftiko or souvlaki wash down by an Ice cold lager. One day...one day I shall return.
Closest thing to heaven!!
#1 Best Meal on 18:35 - Jul 17 with 1715 viewsBrianMcCarthy

#1 Best Meal on 18:20 - Jul 17 by Paddyhoops

Any meal on a beachfront restaurant on a Greeek/ Cypriot which involves kleftiko or souvlaki wash down by an Ice cold lager. One day...one day I shall return.

Great shout - sometimes, it's a situational thing and not just the food.

Casa Juan Pedro in the Old Harbour of Biarritz in the Basque Country is a place I've been to four or five times down the years. Nice seafood, nice wine and lovely surroundings but still cheap enough and certainly not posh. Importantly, too, they don't shoo you away when you're done eating.

https://goo.gl/maps/2fNdsRM9j4NRGokL7
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 21:02]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

#1 Best Meal on 18:38 - Jul 17 with 1711 viewsHantsR

Eating al fresco at a place near The Gower a few years ago, Mrs Hants had Sea Bass + +, which was delicious but my slow-cooked Belly of Pork with simply wonderful thick, light crunchy crackling was historic ( to quote the late Michael Winner)
Login to get fewer ads

#1 Best Meal on 18:44 - Jul 17 with 1704 viewsheadhoops

The Monty restaurant in Rovinj, Croatia anniversary meal with the full tasting menu and wines. Not at all pretentious just glorious food in a small family restaurant.
I had booked months in advance after reading that the chef/owner had famously told one disgruntled customer that he didn’t care who he was, the restaurant wasn’t open for lunch and he had to book like everyone else. Unhappy customer was one Mr Abramovich and a true story.
When we can travel again Era Ora in Copenhagen.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

#1 Best Meal on 18:49 - Jul 17 with 1698 viewsMick_S

#1 Best Meal on 18:20 - Jul 17 by Paddyhoops

Me too, Ph. Each to their own, of course, but that does it for me. A lovely quiet place on the beach.

All day, for me.

#1 Best Meal on 19:52 - Jul 17 with 1646 viewsPaddyhoops

#1 Best Meal on 18:35 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Great shout - sometimes, it's a situational thing and not just the food.

Casa Juan Pedro in the Old Harbour of Biarritz in the Basque Country is a place I've been to four or five times down the years. Nice seafood, nice wine and lovely surroundings but still cheap enough and certainly not posh. Importantly, too, they don't shoo you away when you're done eating.

https://goo.gl/maps/2fNdsRM9j4NRGokL7
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 21:02]

I did find a cracking Greek restaurant in Birmingham near bull ring a year or so ago.
The whole works, two bottles of mythos and few ouzos
thrown in . 25 quid all in. Great value . All that was missing was the sea view and a tempature difference of 30 degrees!!
#1 Best Meal on 21:33 - Jul 17 with 1600 viewsKiwi76

Prawns fresh off back of the boat in Port Douglas (Nth Queensland) with some crusty bread & cold beer.
Plenty of nice restaurant meals but the above still top of mind after best part of ten years…
#1 Best Meal on 22:01 - Jul 17 with 1574 viewsBrianMcCarthy

#1 Best Meal on 14:21 - Jul 17 by distortR

I wonder if, being a vegetarian, the highs and lows of food are so pronounced for me?

Anyway, don't eat out much, and I'm going to cheat Baz - one place and one meal.

Syrian place in the Bush that has been in time outs best cheap eats recommendations.
love the food, the service, the coffee and if I'm in there I'm with the best of mates and Rangers are playing - unbeatable.

Also - little bistro near me. At the time owned by a bloke called karl, who has had a few places on the island and drank the profits out of all of them before being evicted!
Anyway, booked the place for an evening, my family of 7 and the mother-in-law. He was on form, the food was simple but absolutely delicious, good ingredients perfectly cooked. I'm not a bad cook and too often come back from a place thinking I could do better, but not that day

I was a vegetarian for ten years or so - partly inspired by you, believe it or not - but I did it badly as I was young and I didn't research it well enough. So the nutrition was awful (too much carbos, not enough protein, no iron, no zinc) and I just dosed the carbos in tomatoes, garlic and onions which put my digestive system out of action for nearly twenty years.

I basically became a veggie without learning about vegetables.

There's a great restaurant near me that is veggie-only and its meals are high on protein, have great variety and taste amazing, and it makes me think I'll try it again one day.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

#1 Best Meal on 22:19 - Jul 17 with 1548 viewsdistortR

#1 Best Meal on 22:01 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I was a vegetarian for ten years or so - partly inspired by you, believe it or not - but I did it badly as I was young and I didn't research it well enough. So the nutrition was awful (too much carbos, not enough protein, no iron, no zinc) and I just dosed the carbos in tomatoes, garlic and onions which put my digestive system out of action for nearly twenty years.

I basically became a veggie without learning about vegetables.

There's a great restaurant near me that is veggie-only and its meals are high on protein, have great variety and taste amazing, and it makes me think I'll try it again one day.

to be honest, I've never researched it, just reckoned eating veg has got to be ok!
Don't really go for the processed fake meat gluten shite
#1 Best Meal on 08:39 - Jul 18 with 1482 viewsCopenranger

#1 Best Meal on 18:44 - Jul 17 by headhoops

The Monty restaurant in Rovinj, Croatia anniversary meal with the full tasting menu and wines. Not at all pretentious just glorious food in a small family restaurant.
I had booked months in advance after reading that the chef/owner had famously told one disgruntled customer that he didn’t care who he was, the restaurant wasn’t open for lunch and he had to book like everyone else. Unhappy customer was one Mr Abramovich and a true story.
When we can travel again Era Ora in Copenhagen.

Sorry to let you know, that Era Ora was permanently closed last year.
There have been plenty of rumors, that the owner would open a new restaurant (or some other concept) in 2021, but I don't think, it has happened yet.

Copenhagen should have other good options though, so come see us anyway :)
#1 Best Meal on 09:02 - Jul 18 with 1473 viewsbosh67

Chef Peking Harpenden Hertfordshire King prawn fried noodles. The best I think I have had anywhere and Sade who runs the place is one of the most beautiful Chinese girls I've ever seen, so it's all really good.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

#1 Best Meal on 10:05 - Jul 18 with 1452 viewsHoopstar

Best meal I ever ate...tough one

Have to plump for Peskesi in Heraklion, Crete. Passed through on honeymoon trip in 2018 and it was unbelievable. Type of place that really focused on traditional Cretan ingredients and cooking that grows all its own stuff. Can't even remember what we ate (veggies) but wanted to order everything on the menu.

Also had an incredible 7 course meal in Venice years ago when there with a bunch of classical musicians my then girlfriend was touring with. For the life of me can't remember what the place was called and it was really tucked away but the memory of the food and company lives long in the memory.
#1 Best Meal on 10:11 - Jul 18 with 1449 viewsMick_S

#1 Best Meal on 10:05 - Jul 18 by Hoopstar

Best meal I ever ate...tough one

Have to plump for Peskesi in Heraklion, Crete. Passed through on honeymoon trip in 2018 and it was unbelievable. Type of place that really focused on traditional Cretan ingredients and cooking that grows all its own stuff. Can't even remember what we ate (veggies) but wanted to order everything on the menu.

Also had an incredible 7 course meal in Venice years ago when there with a bunch of classical musicians my then girlfriend was touring with. For the life of me can't remember what the place was called and it was really tucked away but the memory of the food and company lives long in the memory.

The vegetables were quite possibly Horta, which is Greek for weeds!

#1 Best Meal on 10:22 - Jul 18 with 1438 viewsBerkoRanger

My absolute fave "slob" meal is an entire tin of cold Heinz baked beans in a bowl (has to be COLD) with a liberal topping of grated mature cheddar cheese and lashings of Heinz salad cream. Yum yum!
#1 Best Meal on 11:31 - Jul 18 with 1401 viewsSK_hoops

There was this Jamaican place on Argyle road (West Ealing) where I had the best Jerk Chicken I've eaten to date, tasted absolutely incredible. Went there three weeks later to show my dad and it had shut.
It reopened as a roti place. Finally got round to going there before one of the QPR matches earlier on in the season - again absolutely amazing, possibly same owners. Went to go there again and lo and behold it had shut down. They've reopened it again as a Jamaican but I'm a bit scared to go in in case I'm some sort of bad luck omen. That said Carribean places don't tend to last round here. Another great one in Ealing Broadway has just shut down after about 4 months of business.
#1 Best Meal on 12:24 - Jul 18 with 1381 viewsheadhoops

#1 Best Meal on 08:39 - Jul 18 by Copenranger

There have been plenty of rumors, that the owner would open a new restaurant (or some other concept) in 2021, but I don't think, it has happened yet.

That’s a shame we had a great evening, the staff were lovely and the food was great. Mind you not cheap. Thought Copenhagen was a great city to visit even the cheesy fireworks in Tivoli were fun. Son went on our recommendation and loved it too. Would certainly go back any day.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

#1 Best Meal on 13:34 - Jul 18 with 1355 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I had a proper French multi course meal once cooked by a French family. Although I enjoyed the experience I'm not sure I was mad about all the food. Most memorable course for me was balls of Melon floating in Port. Never heard of that before or since.

Perhaps my favourite meal ever was a brunch I had in Inverness. Some sort of egg dish with smoked salmon on a soft muffin with a butter sauce. Washed down with a pint of ale. Heaven.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

#1 Best Meal on 18:12 - Jul 18 with 1281 viewsBlackCrowe

#1 Best Meal on 08:39 - Jul 18 by Copenranger

Longing to get back to the motherland for full smorrebrod lunch, with snapps and Tuborg Gron in Nyhavn

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

#1 Best Meal on 17:06 - Jul 19 with 1090 viewslarsricchi

It's not a meal, but one moment that sticks out to me...

Eleven years ago, my wife and I rented a scooter in Cozumel, and went off the beaten path, away from the touristy fronts, and found a small beach club. Very few people were there. We ordered slices of key lime pie and some rum-based drinks and enjoyed the sounds of the waves, the nice breeze, and the glory of a blue sky and the sun (albeit from a shaded spot–I can catch a sunburn in the time it takes to fetch the mail from the box).

At that point, we'd been through a lot in 10 years of marriage. My wife had numerous health scares, shocking for someone in her 20s, but thankfully we were able to start a family after clearing those health hurdles. Even that had been challenging, as our son was not breathing when he was born. But despite his bumpy arrival, he soon flourished (and continues to do so to this day). This moment by the water might have been our first true moment of serenity.

I'm sure the pie was great on its own merits, but in that moment, nothing had ever tasted so good.
#1 Best Meal on 17:21 - Jul 19 with 1070 viewsaston_hoop

Proper Peruvian ceviche done properly with fresh fish is an absolute delight, had one somewhere on the outskirts of Lima by a fishing port and it was incredible. Forget the Michelin star joints in Lima, you can find some incredible stuff looking around.

Also on the seafood theme, I went to a seafood restaurant in Finisterre in Galicia which was fantastic, as Karl mentioned earlier up the thread I tried the percebes which was interesting although I don't recall the cost being too high. But the the rest of the shellfish were a delight as was the location.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024