Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olympic Football 13:09 - Jul 27 with 2033 viewsQPRSteve

Was looking forward to watching the GB v Canada match only to find its not on BBC but fücking Eurosport where you have to subscribe to watch. Is this the start of the Olympics being taken away fro free to air I wonder.
Olympic Football on 13:11 - Jul 27 with 2005 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was reading this earlier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/articles/2021/olympic-games-moments

F**k the IOC

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Olympic Football on 13:40 - Jul 27 with 1926 viewsPaddyhoops

Olympic Football on 13:11 - Jul 27 by Metallica_Hoop

F**k the IOC

The Beeb are not allowed red button multisports in this Olympics due to how TV rights were divided out!
Lots of people are frustrated!!
Olympic Football on 13:55 - Jul 27 with 1907 viewsQPRSteve

Well done See Fücking Coe. Pig in the trough Tory cünt
Olympic Football on 14:00 - Jul 27 with 1889 viewsBAWHoops

If you have Sky Q they are offering Discovery+ free for 12 months.
That's got all the streams of every sport

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Olympic Football on 14:09 - Jul 27 with 1865 viewsrobith

Mad how Discovery basically close bid a fortune to take the Olympics, then haven't advertised the fact, or indeed, added commentary to many of the feeds
Olympic Football on 14:13 - Jul 27 with 1850 viewsthame_hoops

The French open tennis was on Eurosport too and I took out a weeks free trial and then cancelled it.

Not the point though I know, terrible it isn't all on terrestrial for kids to watch
Olympic Football on 14:20 - Jul 27 with 1835 viewsMyke

Can anyone explain to me the ins and outs of professional and amateur competitors. Why (just to take an Irish perspective) is Katie Taylor not allowed to compete, whereas Shane Lowry is?
Olympic Football on 14:30 - Jul 27 with 1806 views80s_Boy

Olympic Football on 14:20 - Jul 27 by Myke

Can anyone explain to me the ins and outs of professional and amateur competitors. Why (just to take an Irish perspective) is Katie Taylor not allowed to compete, whereas Shane Lowry is?

It depends on the governing bodies of the respective sports.

FIFA have no objections with professional players playing at the Olympics but the ABA are very particular. Although they have opened up the doors for professional boxers it comes with a number of caveats.

The IOC follow the advice/requests from that body.
Login to get fewer ads

Olympic Football on 14:34 - Jul 27 with 1798 viewsMyke

Olympic Football on 14:30 - Jul 27 by 80s_Boy

It depends on the governing bodies of the respective sports.

FIFA have no objections with professional players playing at the Olympics but the ABA are very particular. Although they have opened up the doors for professional boxers it comes with a number of caveats.

The IOC follow the advice/requests from that body.

Cheers 80's. Kind of makes a mockery of it being only for amateurs which was the cornerstone that the Olympics were built on. Big fan of Lowry, but there are lots of excellent amateur golfers out there
Olympic Football on 14:38 - Jul 27 with 1781 views80s_Boy

Olympic Football on 14:34 - Jul 27 by Myke

Cheers 80's. Kind of makes a mockery of it being only for amateurs which was the cornerstone that the Olympics were built on. Big fan of Lowry, but there are lots of excellent amateur golfers out there

At my most cynical I suspect its all about how much money can be made selling TV rights....

If the ABA and IOC could work out a way to ensure that the best pro boxers wouldn't seriously hurt amateurs - which would make awful TV for them - I'm sure that the objections would be lifted.
Olympic Football on 14:39 - Jul 27 with 1779 viewsdaveB

Olympic Football on 14:13 - Jul 27 by thame_hoops

The French open tennis was on Eurosport too and I took out a weeks free trial and then cancelled it.

Not the point though I know, terrible it isn't all on terrestrial for kids to watch

It was also on ITV4 although think Discovery could show all the games, similar to this Olympics thing
Olympic Football on 15:09 - Jul 27 with 1728 viewsPlanetHonneywood

It’s on France 4 for free.

What a shame therefore, that Orange will eventually take 5 (five) fücking weeks to set up our TV and internet. They were bobbins when I had them in the UK and they’re equally merde this side of La Manche too.

Corporate media companies, utterly useless wherever you are on the planet!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Olympic Football on 17:39 - Jul 27 with 1638 viewsQPRSteve

Olympic Football on 15:09 - Jul 27 by PlanetHonneywood

It’s on France 4 for free.

What a shame therefore, that Orange will eventually take 5 (five) fücking weeks to set up our TV and internet. They were bobbins when I had them in the UK and they’re equally merde this side of La Manche too.

Corporate media companies, utterly useless wherever you are on the planet!

I know how that feels. A few years ago I had a BT business internet deal. I work from home and published all my reports via e-mail. When I moved address I gave BT a months advance notice of where I was moving to so they could come and set up a connection the day after I moved in which they agreed to to. The day before I moved by BT business advisor rang me to tell me that they could not set me up for 21 days.

Threatened to take me to court when I told them where to shove their contact.
Olympic Football on 23:31 - Jul 27 with 1552 viewsthame_hoops

Olympic Football on 14:39 - Jul 27 by daveB

It was also on ITV4 although think Discovery could show all the games, similar to this Olympics thing

Aha yes it was, but I just have terrestrial TV, and use NOW TV, BT sport for streaming. ITV4 isn’t in HD in terrestrial and the picture quality was terrible to watch. Even on ITV Player, on my Samsung TV, it was identical picture to the TV feed. Which surprised me. So I took out the Eurosport subscription as it was in 1080 HD.
Olympic Football on 00:05 - Jul 28 with 1490 viewsCLAREMAN1995

That ship sailed a long time ago Myke sad to say.Check out UTube vidoes of the American Basketball dream team in the 90s which truly made a mockery of the system.
All the runners are Pro as well of course so that Amature dream is gone and never to come back I suspect
Olympic Football on 13:49 - Jul 28 with 1337 viewsdenhamhoop2

That ship long sailed ago in most sports if you want to see amateur sport more likely to see that at the Winter Olympics and thanks to Lottery funding that has largely disappeared. As a prime example the 1992 American Basketball "Dream Team" had 5 of the top 10 highest earning sportsmen in the world in their squad
Olympic Football on 14:05 - Jul 28 with 1309 viewsslmrstid

Outside of the obvious examples there are very, very few athletes at the Olympics who will be making mega bucks though.

By definition the Lottery funded athletes might be "professional" but the amounts they get paid by their funding really aren't that big and the vast majority of them do still have other careers/jobs to help fund their ongoing training and competition.
Olympic Football on 14:40 - Jul 28 with 1261 viewstoboboly

Football, tennis, golf, rugby, baseball, softball and basketball should be nowhere near the olympics.

I will hold my tongue on "sport climbing and "artistic swimming" for the time being.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Olympic Football on 14:46 - Jul 28 with 1249 viewswood_hoop

Olympic Football on 14:40 - Jul 28 by toboboly

Football, tennis, golf, rugby, baseball, softball and basketball should be nowhere near the olympics.

I will hold my tongue on "sport climbing and "artistic swimming" for the time being.

Thank goodness you have n't put dressage on your list, dancing horses is a supreme ...errm .....sport.
Olympic Football on 14:56 - Jul 28 with 1234 viewstoboboly

Olympic Football on 14:46 - Jul 28 by wood_hoop

Thank goodness you have n't put dressage on your list, dancing horses is a supreme ...errm .....sport.

It's the only reason I bother getting up in the mornings. Besides the posh people need something to do or they'll get bored and the place will turn feudal again.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Olympic Football on 10:05 - Jul 29 with 1057 viewsNorthLondonR

I honestly still cannot fathom the idea that softball is allowed anywhere near the Olympics. The best way I can describe it after watching the final the other night in complete disbelief, would be to have a game of t20 cricket where the bowler bowls under arm with a huge tennis ball! Nice to see the US once again beaten at their own game however...
Olympic Football on 10:19 - Jul 29 with 1032 viewsBlackCrowe

BBC Sport output is barely non-existant these days - Wimbledon and The Open are it's remaining exclusive mainstays.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Olympic Football on 12:07 - Jul 29 with 955 viewsLandshark

Olympic Football on 13:11 - Jul 27 by Metallica_Hoop

F**k the IOC

I've recently moved to Germany and thought it was just me being abroad that I wasn't getting the full BBC service (on a VPN stream). I didn't realise that people in the UK were having lack of sports either on TV or streaming.

The German equivalent of the BBC (ZDF) has a fantastic app, it shows every Olympic sport live. Much better coverage than I ever saw for previous games on the BBC. They currently have the option of Judo, Hockey (2 different games), Fencing, Swimming, Volleyball, Water Polo, Gymnastics, Tennis and Table Tennis.

I'm not sure of the full politics from that BBC article but it's very strange that two public broadcasters have such different coverage. Maybe the BBC didn't want to pay much as they thought people would miss most of the games being asleep or at work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024