Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
De Canio Mark 2 19:49 - Oct 31 with 3009 viewsRandom_Ranger

Sorry if a Spackman, but around this time of year 16 years ago we appointed a random manager who brought us some mad but great football, bringing ournsome of the best of Buzasky, Vine and amazingly Agyemang. If Cifuentes can do the same for Chair, Willock and Armstrong/Dykes, then maybe we can dare to dream......?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/oct/29/newsstory.qpr
De Canio Mark 2 on 19:51 - Oct 31 with 2994 viewsdaveB

He got a defence of Bob Malcom, Chris Barker and Zesh Rehmann looking decent, absolute miracle worker
De Canio Mark 2 on 19:51 - Oct 31 with 2989 viewsBAWHoops

That manager was also furnished with some of the best players in the league that January

Ephraim, Keiran lee, Mahon, Connolly, Agyemang, Hall, Vine, Buzsaky all joined on permanent deals

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

De Canio Mark 2 on 19:55 - Oct 31 with 2966 viewsHooparoo

I remember he had Bob Malcolm playing like Beckenbauer. A true miracle worker and a real shame he got homesick and left

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

De Canio Mark 2 on 20:02 - Oct 31 with 2905 viewskensalriser

Why is he random? He's been scouted and researched and sounds like he was our first choice before Beale fluttered his eyelids. Much less random than whoever happens to be the last bloke sacked from another Championship side.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

De Canio Mark 2 on 20:06 - Oct 31 with 2884 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think Marc Bircham was on a podcast saying that the players didn’t like or understand him and just did their own thing which I found surprising.
De Canio Mark 2 on 20:19 - Oct 31 with 2831 viewsslmrstid

De Canio Mark 2 on 20:06 - Oct 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think Marc Bircham was on a podcast saying that the players didn’t like or understand him and just did their own thing which I found surprising.

Marc Bircham had gone by then!

I always wonder "what if" De Canio had stuck around for 2008/09 compared to the car crash we ended up with thanks to Briatore with Dowie/Ainsworth/Sousa/Ainsworth.
De Canio Mark 2 on 22:53 - Oct 31 with 2595 viewsstainrods_elbow

De Canio Mark 2 on 20:02 - Oct 31 by kensalriser

Why is he random? He's been scouted and researched and sounds like he was our first choice before Beale fluttered his eyelids. Much less random than whoever happens to be the last bloke sacked from another Championship side.

On a pedantic aesthetic point, does one flutter eyelids or eyelashes?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

De Canio Mark 2 on 05:09 - Nov 1 with 2425 viewsQPunkR

De Canio Mark 2 on 19:51 - Oct 31 by BAWHoops

That manager was also furnished with some of the best players in the league that January

Ephraim, Keiran lee, Mahon, Connolly, Agyemang, Hall, Vine, Buzsaky all joined on permanent deals

Best players in the league?? And you're including Agyemang and Kieran Lee in that?

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

De Canio Mark 2 on 06:16 - Nov 1 with 2374 viewsdmm

De Canio Mark 2 on 05:09 - Nov 1 by QPunkR

Best players in the league?? And you're including Agyemang and Kieran Lee in that?

Agyemang; the only player I've ever witnessed who would regularly jump to head a ball and duck at the same time thus missing the thing completely.
De Canio Mark 2 on 07:43 - Nov 1 with 2265 viewsngbqpr

De Canio Mark 2 on 20:06 - Oct 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

I remember an in depth piece, I think in the Guardian, about them watching a training session where LDC drilled and re-drilled a move into the players - and lo & behold that weekend at Watford, we replicated it to a tee and Rowlands scored.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

De Canio Mark 2 on 08:17 - Nov 1 with 2216 viewsCiderwithRsie

De Canio Mark 2 on 06:16 - Nov 1 by dmm

Agyemang; the only player I've ever witnessed who would regularly jump to head a ball and duck at the same time thus missing the thing completely.

I've always thought Agyemang's form at the time as being Item 1 in the evidence list for De Canio being a miracle worker.

I've also always been a bit surprised that he (de Canio) didn't go on to greater things.
De Canio Mark 2 on 09:07 - Nov 1 with 2136 viewsslmrstid

De Canio Mark 2 on 08:17 - Nov 1 by CiderwithRsie

I've always thought Agyemang's form at the time as being Item 1 in the evidence list for De Canio being a miracle worker.

I've also always been a bit surprised that he (de Canio) didn't go on to greater things.

Not sure many Italian managers ever given much of a chance to go on to greater things at the rate they get changed.

He has been a "steady pair of hands" type for most of his managerial career though. He's had a couple of spells with my Italian team Genoa where he did just that.
De Canio Mark 2 on 09:22 - Nov 1 with 2107 viewsdaveB

Many claimed at the time that it was his coach Ainsworth who got us playing like that. I think the last 8 months probably disproves that
De Canio Mark 2 on 09:31 - Nov 1 with 2081 viewsbaz_qpr

De Canio Mark 2 on 07:43 - Nov 1 by ngbqpr

I remember an in depth piece, I think in the Guardian, about them watching a training session where LDC drilled and re-drilled a move into the players - and lo & behold that weekend at Watford, we replicated it to a tee and Rowlands scored.

This - Was the last time I can remember that we had clear plays and would break at breakneck speed. The football that season was wonderful and entertaining
De Canio Mark 2 on 10:28 - Nov 1 with 1993 viewsTheChef

De Canio Mark 2 on 19:51 - Oct 31 by BAWHoops

Kieran Lee!!

Totally forgot about him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

De Canio Mark 2 on 10:28 - Nov 1 with 1990 viewsTheChef

Why did we even get rid of De Canio??

De Canio Mark 2 on 10:53 - Nov 1 with 1970 viewsWadR

I'm sure I remember a podcast interview with, I think, Ephraim saying that De Canio enjoyed the London nightlife a bit too much, was sometimes late to training and left a lot of tactics up to the players.

Can't imagine the language barrier helped but think that, even if Ephraim was exaggerating, that our attractive football that season was more due to the freedom afforded to and quality of the attacking players than anything manager led!

Everything I've heard so far about Cifuentes sounds really promising though.
De Canio Mark 2 on 11:27 - Nov 1 with 1924 viewsdmm

De Canio Mark 2 on 10:53 - Nov 1 by WadR

I'm sure I remember a podcast interview with, I think, Ephraim saying that De Canio enjoyed the London nightlife a bit too much, was sometimes late to training and left a lot of tactics up to the players.

Can't imagine the language barrier helped but think that, even if Ephraim was exaggerating, that our attractive football that season was more due to the freedom afforded to and quality of the attacking players than anything manager led!

Everything I've heard so far about Cifuentes sounds really promising though.

Reminds me of the approach Alec Stock and Bill Dodgin took in the 60s. As the team started to win most games they basically left it up to the players to organise themselves on the pitch. And it worked, for a while anyway.
De Canio Mark 2 on 12:13 - Nov 1 with 1859 viewsbosh67

It was more about his relationship with his wife and going home to save that. I remember walking down South Africa Road and he was walking up it with a friend the day he decided he had to go home and it would be hard to remember anything more respectful than fans walking up to him and shaking his hand, hugging him and singing his name. He was in tears. It was quite something. A breath of fresh air. Such great football as well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

De Canio Mark 2 on 15:06 - Nov 1 with 1703 viewsTheChef

De Canio Mark 2 on 12:13 - Nov 1 by bosh67

It was more about his relationship with his wife and going home to save that. I remember walking down South Africa Road and he was walking up it with a friend the day he decided he had to go home and it would be hard to remember anything more respectful than fans walking up to him and shaking his hand, hugging him and singing his name. He was in tears. It was quite something. A breath of fresh air. Such great football as well.

Ah yes rings a bell now. Cheers.

What a shame!

De Canio Mark 2 on 17:14 - Nov 1 with 1602 viewsdannyblue

I kind of remember him bringing a 4231 to us, at a time when that was quite revolutionary. 4231 designed to beat 442 which every other team in the championship was playing with. They didn't know what to do with it and we'd get 2 or 3 goals up in the first half. But then opponents would adjust at half time and we'd run out of steam.
De Canio Mark 2 on 17:20 - Nov 1 with 1572 viewswestberksr

De Canio Mark 2 on 07:43 - Nov 1 by ngbqpr

the way that team broke from defending a corner was so well drilled and caught teams out repeatedly.

One of the few times that i can recall watching something and realising they all knew what they were supposed to do and it actually happening........ i think its general known as coaching, but not something we are familiar with!
De Canio Mark 2 on 17:23 - Nov 1 with 1554 viewswestberksr

didn't he also get mugged or similar?

might be my imagination running riot
De Canio Mark 2 on 18:15 - Nov 1 with 1495 viewsloftupper

De Canio Mark 2 on 17:23 - Nov 1 by westberksr

didn't he also get mugged or similar?

might be my imagination running riot

I remember something like that! Came into work with a black eye
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024