Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Options up front 20:31 - Nov 5 with 4462 viewssdm1508

Was very disappointed in Dykes in Saturday. Didn't look comfortable with the new approach (although the old approach he didn't seem much better) maybe a bit more time with MC will get him firing as he works out how to get the best out of him. Wouldn't mind seeing Kolli get a game with this new approach as he seems quite good technically. It maybe Kelman who seems to finish well in training videos might come good if he is only expected to work the width of the penalty area.

Maybe a false 9 approach will be used if he doesn't think our strikers are up to it
Options up front on 21:07 - Nov 5 with 4350 viewsNortholt_Rs

He’s scored 1 in 11 games. Our LB has scored 3 times more. Dykes is pony.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Options up front on 22:01 - Nov 5 with 4211 viewssdm1508

Options up front on 21:07 - Nov 5 by Northolt_Rs

He’s scored 1 in 11 games. Our LB has scored 3 times more. Dykes is pony.

I wasn't just talking about his goal return although as a striker this is what he is fundamentally judged on. His all round play was disappointing. He didn't link up well or hold the ball up and bring others into play. With Wilock and Chair paying he has got to at least bring them in so they can be a scoring threat. He looks a scary sod but seems to just get dominated by defenders and not even trying to at least smash a few players to give them some doubt
Options up front on 22:10 - Nov 5 with 4178 viewsThird_Division_South

Options up front on 22:01 - Nov 5 by sdm1508

I wasn't just talking about his goal return although as a striker this is what he is fundamentally judged on. His all round play was disappointing. He didn't link up well or hold the ball up and bring others into play. With Wilock and Chair paying he has got to at least bring them in so they can be a scoring threat. He looks a scary sod but seems to just get dominated by defenders and not even trying to at least smash a few players to give them some doubt

It’s interesting that according to reports MC doesn’t always play with a traditional number 9. Maybe he’ll get a big chance to work on that the during the next international break when, presumably, we’ll be training without Dykes.
Options up front on 22:12 - Nov 5 with 4170 viewsbosh67

He needs the ball on his head 6-12 yards out running onto fat lowish near post crosses, something we never seem to do for him.

That said he's simply not a dominant enough player to have as a main striker. The problem is we have no one else at all.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Options up front on 23:07 - Nov 5 with 4026 viewsQPunkR

Options up front on 22:12 - Nov 5 by bosh67

He needs the ball on his head 6-12 yards out running onto fat lowish near post crosses, something we never seem to do for him.

That said he's simply not a dominant enough player to have as a main striker. The problem is we have no one else at all.

He had a couple come his way on Saturday and was in no way ready for them

QPR - "shit but local"

Options up front on 09:47 - Nov 6 with 3689 viewsTheChef

If he was any good, he wouldn't be at QPR.

Given yet another change of manager, another shift in how we play, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Hope that MC can get hold of him and get his game going more consistently.

Bottom line is he has never been a prolific striker. But he can contribute more to our overall play and create space for others.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Options up front on 10:18 - Nov 6 with 3619 viewsRs_Holy

Options up front on 22:01 - Nov 5 by sdm1508

agree 100%.... Lyndon is not a natural striker (in the Charlie mould) and this is something that cannot really be taught?
He also isn't a bully in and around the box (this can be taught to some degree) and this needs to be instilled into him but might be medium term?
First thing that he needs to develop is his ability to hold onto the ball when it is played to him just outside the box so to allow team mates to support him.
Options up front on 10:24 - Nov 6 with 3593 viewsLoyalitat

Options up front on 09:47 - Nov 6 by TheChef

Given yet another change of manager, another shift in how we play, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Hope that MC can get hold of him and get his game going more consistently.

Bottom line is he has never been a prolific striker. But he can contribute more to our overall play and create space for others.

If that's all he offers after three complete seasons at this level then that's just dire. Also, in those three seasons plus, he has started 107 games out of about 125 appearances for QPR and the best we can muster in his defence, is he can create space for others.

The much derided Idrissa Sylla only started 28 games for QPR, with a further 33 from the bench and scored 17 goals. Sorry, Dykes has had all of the opportunities to improve and on Saturday's showing with his poor first touch and patchy link-up play, is still way off where he should be after having started so many games.

Gyokeres only started 85 games for Coventry, look at his marked improvement in his overall game during that period. It's therefore not unreasonable to have expected some noticeable improvement in Dykes, too, after 107 starts.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 10:59]
Login to get fewer ads

Options up front on 10:40 - Nov 6 with 3534 viewsflynnbo

Can we have more threads on him, please?
Options up front on 12:06 - Nov 6 with 3409 viewsTacticalR

Options up front on 10:40 - Nov 6 by flynnbo

I am trying to cut down to one a day.

Air hostess clique

Options up front on 13:03 - Nov 6 with 3251 viewsRs_Holy

this is not supposed to be just about Dykes tho ... but without stating the bleed'n obvious we don't have many other options in that department!

Kelman has scored zip for QPR and has amassed 15 goals in 97 games in the lower leagues... That's not too bad if he was going to play in League 2? Also I didn't realize he is now 22.

Armstrong - I think he is really only useful as an impact sub... a goal down with 15 to play and its time to unleash Sinclair ... He is not a natural striker and is probably only good for 5-6 goals a season if played regularly.

Smyth ... too diminutive to be an out and out striker... I think he'd get really pizza'd off being out muscled all the time.

Rayan Kolli - too young to start games this season ... have him on the bench regularly tho. Loads of potential.
Options up front on 13:18 - Nov 6 with 3169 viewsParkRoyalR

Options up front on 13:03 - Nov 6 by Rs_Holy

this is not supposed to be just about Dykes tho ... but without stating the bleed'n obvious we don't have many other options in that department!

Kelman has scored zip for QPR and has amassed 15 goals in 97 games in the lower leagues... That's not too bad if he was going to play in League 2? Also I didn't realize he is now 22.

Armstrong - I think he is really only useful as an impact sub... a goal down with 15 to play and its time to unleash Sinclair ... He is not a natural striker and is probably only good for 5-6 goals a season if played regularly.

Smyth ... too diminutive to be an out and out striker... I think he'd get really pizza'd off being out muscled all the time.

Rayan Kolli - too young to start games this season ... have him on the bench regularly tho. Loads of potential.

Thinking very similar to yourself form what I've seen........

Kelman - Based on what I've seen to date and indifferent loan spells in lower divisions, will need to improve significantly if he's ever to play consistently above L2.

Armstrong - Over-rated by our fans, altho has'nt helped he's been played wide left rather than as a 2nd striker off Dykes, time will tell, but touch & positional play is poor, so much improvement needed to even play L1 level.

Kolli- Looks a natural footballer with pace & energy, best option of the 3 by far, could be a good option off the bench late in the game as a 2nd striker

Smyth - We need his ability to beat a man and get a 1st time cross in, then up to Dykes and others to attack the back post as per great cross he put in on Saturday; could be used in emergency as a 2nd striker but better as an inside right and Kolli can do this role, imo.
Options up front on 13:41 - Nov 6 with 3097 viewsQPunkR

To be fair to Armstrong, he's always said he seems himself as a winger rather than a striker - so maybe that's where he'll make more of an impact once we (hopefully!) get any better/other strikers in future

QPR - "shit but local"

Options up front on 14:34 - Nov 6 with 3010 viewssdm1508

Pretty sure whilst mentioning Dykes I also talked about alternatives to the problem that is his form. So whilst a discussion about him it is also seeking out alternatives

Ta
Options up front on 14:57 - Nov 6 with 2954 viewsThGrimRanger

he's not been the same since getting that horrendous neck tattoo - maybe a go-fund me for laser-removal is the answer?

i get the idea of a 'non-goal scoring' centre-forward but he has to contribute more effectively. His hold-up and link-up play isn't good enough and he isn't providing an aerial threat either. He does much better for Scotland which is frustrating but for some reason doesn't appear to have the same level of commitment when playing for QPR

TheGrimRanger

Options up front on 15:59 - Nov 6 with 2845 viewsbosh67

Options up front on 14:57 - Nov 6 by ThGrimRanger

he's not been the same since getting that horrendous neck tattoo - maybe a go-fund me for laser-removal is the answer?

i get the idea of a 'non-goal scoring' centre-forward but he has to contribute more effectively. His hold-up and link-up play isn't good enough and he isn't providing an aerial threat either. He does much better for Scotland which is frustrating but for some reason doesn't appear to have the same level of commitment when playing for QPR

He has one actual skill and that is generally heading low balls whipped into the box at the near post. Most of his goals seem to come this way but we seldom give him that service. Hopefully the new guy may identify a way to actually service that one skill and also get him primed for it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Options up front on 18:30 - Nov 6 with 2669 viewsDamo1962

Options up front on 14:57 - Nov 6 by ThGrimRanger

Said the same thing ages ago. Only cares about Scotland...and he isn't even Scottish 🙄
Options up front on 09:36 - Nov 7 with 2335 viewsLblock

“ If he was any good, he wouldn't be at QPR.”

Why?

Yet another self defeating attitude and acceptance of lowest of the low standards that’s put this club where it is.
Not digging you out on a personal level but this overall dilution of what we should accept as acceptable at this club really gets me down.
Another reason why I’ve stopped going these days.

I’ll stick to be a grumpy old sod living in the 90’s when I expected us to give it full gusto and roll over many clubs bigger than us.

Sentimental old fool

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Options up front on 10:29 - Nov 7 with 2262 viewsAndybrat

Agree, he can be a real pain in the ass to be oppo and closes down well. When he was out a lot of us suddenly realised ( Clive included)
Options up front on 11:16 - Nov 7 with 2170 viewsTheChef

Options up front on 09:36 - Nov 7 by Lblock

“ If he was any good, he wouldn't be at QPR.”

Why?

Yet another self defeating attitude and acceptance of lowest of the low standards that’s put this club where it is.
Not digging you out on a personal level but this overall dilution of what we should accept as acceptable at this club really gets me down.
Another reason why I’ve stopped going these days.

I’ll stick to be a grumpy old sod living in the 90’s when I expected us to give it full gusto and roll over many clubs bigger than us.

Sentimental old fool

Yeah you carry on being grumpy

Thing is this is especially the case for strikers where any decent goalscorer will cost far more than we can afford, so unless our scouting team can unearth some lower/non league gem that no other club is aware of (very unlikely), then we're stuck recruiting what we can afford such as Dykes. Who I think does offer the team something, I think could still improve with the right coaching, but is very unlikely to get you 20 goals a season.

I'm not happy with it either but sadly the game has moved on since the 90s and we got left behind.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Options up front on 12:09 - Nov 7 with 2061 viewsDTIG

As Bertie Masson ( played by Tim Healy) once said in the classic LWT film Bostocks Cup..."the thing is you're just not good enough....that's what we need here at this football club is people who better than what you are at football.....they say football is a simple game, it's about running, it's about passing, tackling, shooting, scoring.... I've watched you.... and you can't do any of those things"

Marti needs to take a leaf out of Bertie's book
Options up front on 16:35 - Nov 7 with 1834 viewsQPRConor2000

At the moment we have Kelman, Kolli, Armstrong and Dykes.

I do think we do need someone to come in on loan to give us an extra option here, I could see a situation where both Rayan Kolli and Charlie Kelman are both loaned out to allow for another striker to come in January.

We do need another option here imo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024