Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harrys excuse 15:29 - Feb 25 with 7066 viewsqprichard

PAUL WARBURTON

QPR boss blames failed transfer deals
25 Feb 2014 10:00

Redknapp rues missing out on top January targets

Too expensive: QPR pulled the plug on a deal for Inter Milan striker Ishak Belfodil

Harry Redknapp reckons two that got away in the transfer window have cost QPR dear.

Rangers are winless in the last four with stories circulating Michael Laudrup is waiting in the wings to take the 66-year-old manager’s job, although Redknapp remains confident his position isn't under threat.

The outlay that includes £8milllion for crocked Charlie Austin and Matt Phillips along with the club’s ambitions for an instant return to the Premier League would be a poor return if they were marooned in the Championship for another season.

Rangers mustered not a single shot on target during the 1-0 defeat to Charlton on Saturday, with Redknapp insisting all strikers signed before the deadline were a ‘gamble.’

The club was hoping to land Serie A hotshot Ishak Belfodil and Auxerre star Paul-Georges Ntep.

Neither deal happened demanding last-minute wheeler dealing for Kevin Doyle (Wolves), Will Keane (Manchester United) and Modibo Maiga (West Ham) that has produced just three goals in four games from the trio.

At the double: Doyle has scored twice in four games

“Everything we did in the transfer window was a gamble," said Redknapp.

"We thought we had the boy from Milan coming and the left-winger from Auxerre who looked like a world-beater — and suddenly they don’t come, and then you're left scrambling about.”

www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-boss-blames-failed-transfer-6740496?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"F1 and the English league are phenomenally successful sports watched around the world. That’s a huge captive market. Having AirAsia and Tune Hotels beamed straight into people’s homes is more powerful than putting out a print ad.”
“Sport helps to put the Tune out there. Branding impacts the bottom line, even if you can’t measure it. The aura of our brand has attracted a lot of partnerships and sports is a large part of that aura.” - QPR Chairman, Tony Fernandes on owning QPR and Caterham
Harrys excuse on 09:02 - Feb 26 with 1282 viewsA40Bosh

Harrys excuse on 08:13 - Feb 26 by whittocksRs

Two players he should have signed on loan during the transfer window that were neither risks nor expensive:

Maynard (went to Wigan)
Bamford (Derby)

No excuses for me, chasing unproven Europeans meant he missed out on the best deals at home.

The strange thing is that he was at pains to state on actual "interviews" where the words were coming out of his mouth and not that of a journo, that he wanted only proven UK players who he knew and trusted and he did not want to be taking gambles on people from abroad who he has never seen or heard of any is being told by their agent how good they are.

I cant see why his philosophy with signings such as Dunne, Simpson, O'Neill, Phillips, Karl Henry, supplemented by players he has used before such as Nico, BAE, and new young "talent" such as LTC, should all of a sudden change dramatically unless the targets that he was after in the UK were just not available to him, did not want to come to QPR or priced themselves out of a contract during negotiations.

To say he has been off chasing Europeans is to make assumptions that that is all he has been doing since the start of the window is swanning off around Europe looking at unproven foreign players.

I am not a Harry apologist, long term I don't see him staying, but we have to get out of this panic sacking of proven managers just because the team goes off the boil for a few weeks. Yes, I accept the squad and the team we have SHOULD walk this division and I am pretty sure that we are now the lowest in the league we have been since pretty much day one and we are in a "slump" now and looking more likely ending up in the play off places, but I would have taken that at the start of the season.

Getting rid of Harry now is pointless. Unless ALL the players are lying and simply being politically correct in saying that the atmosphere in the club is great and training is intense and there is a great togetherness at the moment, why would you want to risk totally derailing any chance of an automatic promotion place so late in the day.

It makes no sense what so ever, unless Tony and Phil Beard have started to have regular barneys with Harry and it is now down to working relations.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Harrys excuse on 09:15 - Feb 26 with 1262 viewsjonno

Harrys excuse on 09:02 - Feb 26 by A40Bosh

The strange thing is that he was at pains to state on actual "interviews" where the words were coming out of his mouth and not that of a journo, that he wanted only proven UK players who he knew and trusted and he did not want to be taking gambles on people from abroad who he has never seen or heard of any is being told by their agent how good they are.

I cant see why his philosophy with signings such as Dunne, Simpson, O'Neill, Phillips, Karl Henry, supplemented by players he has used before such as Nico, BAE, and new young "talent" such as LTC, should all of a sudden change dramatically unless the targets that he was after in the UK were just not available to him, did not want to come to QPR or priced themselves out of a contract during negotiations.

To say he has been off chasing Europeans is to make assumptions that that is all he has been doing since the start of the window is swanning off around Europe looking at unproven foreign players.

I am not a Harry apologist, long term I don't see him staying, but we have to get out of this panic sacking of proven managers just because the team goes off the boil for a few weeks. Yes, I accept the squad and the team we have SHOULD walk this division and I am pretty sure that we are now the lowest in the league we have been since pretty much day one and we are in a "slump" now and looking more likely ending up in the play off places, but I would have taken that at the start of the season.

Getting rid of Harry now is pointless. Unless ALL the players are lying and simply being politically correct in saying that the atmosphere in the club is great and training is intense and there is a great togetherness at the moment, why would you want to risk totally derailing any chance of an automatic promotion place so late in the day.

It makes no sense what so ever, unless Tony and Phil Beard have started to have regular barneys with Harry and it is now down to working relations.

If training is "intense" then why are so many of the players clearly not fit enough? And why is there no clear pattern of play, organisation etc?
Harrys excuse on 09:37 - Feb 26 with 1249 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That's a rational and reasonable post, Bosh.

A few ponts:-

1) All players lie about training and atmosphere under a manager, then a new manager comes and the story changes and the training and atmosphere were poor but are now magically great under theor new gaffer.
2) You're right - no point sacking him at the moment. Planning not panic
3) UK? Dune? Tsk, tsk, tsk...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Harrys excuse on 09:43 - Feb 26 with 1242 viewsBlue_Castello

Have to say Bosh your comments on this thread have been spot on, I was getting sick and tired of reading the panic threads on the board.

We are all disappointed with the last few results, but sacking another manager now is not the answer, we have to stick with him till the end of the season.

Harrys transfer activity has been very patchy and like other posters on here I was disappointed with our January transfer activity because there were good cheap loan options which we missed out on, anybody who thinks Rhodes was a realistic target is living in cloud cuckoo land. Bamford and Maynard were definitely ones we should have been looking at, Waghorn is not a prolific striker but I like him a lot and it appears so do Wigan as they snapped up both Maynard and Waghorn.
Everybody keeps saying we will now have to settle for the play-offs as if that's an automatic option, have a look at Wigans squad and form they are coming up like the proverbial steam train and have a very good chance of a top six finish.

People love to slag off Barton and hes not my favourite person but our midfield without him is no better than Charltons and they are in the relegation scrap. We are going to struggle without him on Saturday which shows how poor some of the transfers have been, but I still think when hes back and a couple of others from injury we can make the play-offs.

If this board is anything to go by the atmosphere on Saturday will be toxic which is a real shame, we need to get behind the team for the last 15 games and if we miss out on the play-offs then that's life, weve been through far bigger shit supporting our club.
When I say toxic Im worried were going to have people calling for Harrys head on a plate and more morons booing constantly, what chance a result with that sort of atmosphere. No I don't blame Clive for being pissed off at the end of the game last week, if you want to boo at the end then that's your prerogative, just how can it help during the match.
Harrys excuse on 10:15 - Feb 26 with 1200 viewsdaveB

Harrys excuse on 17:42 - Feb 25 by simmo

It doesnt detract from the very good point Jigsore makes, that signing 2 unknown quantities has nothing to do with conceding 6 goals in the last 2 home games. Or taking 21 points from a possible 42 since January. Or performing disgracefully against inferior opposition on a number of occasions this season.

Regardless of this article he is doing what he always does, using his mates in the media to detract attention away from his own failings. Taking no accountability for the shite performance of HIS team.

In fairness to Redknapp when things were going well he wasn't claiming all the credit for it, he put it all on the players so I wouldn't expect him to come out and say it's all his fault as in truth it isn't. Yes he's made mistakes and I don't think he's had a good month and looks completely unsure of himself at the moment but individual errors have a lot to do with these goals conceded and can happen to the best and worst managers in the world.

I just think the article is awful and it takes his quotes completely out of context making a story where one doesn't exist and those who only read headlines come away with a very different idea from what was actually said.

Saying all that I am fed up of the Fernandes and Redknapp jousting in the media, it needs to stop.
Harrys excuse on 10:24 - Feb 26 with 1190 viewsCiderwithRsie

Harrys excuse on 16:34 - Feb 25 by A40Bosh

Dave,

I am sorry, but saying "I would have got Rhodes in" is ridiculous - no you wouldn't, because Rhodes like loads of other players would not come to QPR without his agent pushing for a totally unrealistic wage that TF and PB would not sanction in any case and that is the whole point of them locking the gate after the horse has bolted.

I not defending Harry, but I get the impression that people would rather believe the headlines every time that no one in the entire club knows what they are doing and that as a result we are bordering on a second straight relegation the ways things are now going having lost a 3rd consecutive game.

There's a hell of a lot of truth in what you've posted on here A40 but your last para is the key.

A lot of people have become so disenchanted that the reservoir of goodwill and trust towards the club has dried up. Some take it our on Redknapp, a few want to have a pop at Fernandes, some like me are randomly grumbling. Facts almost don't matter any more, the whole atmosphere is poisonous.

Anytime last summer I'd have snatched your hand off for a place in the play-offs and I wouldn't have been that fussed if you told me that it was only temporary, because I'd have taken it to mean that the club had turned round after the shite of last year and that we'd be ready for a bloody good push next year. As it is the feel-good factor is notably absent and was fairly minimal even when we were top.

There's no sign that things are moving forward or we have any plan other than to buy a whole lot more players. Blame who you like for that but people will keep on bitching until they feel that change
Harrys excuse on 10:31 - Feb 26 with 1179 viewsfrancisbowles

Harrys excuse on 10:24 - Feb 26 by CiderwithRsie

There's a hell of a lot of truth in what you've posted on here A40 but your last para is the key.

A lot of people have become so disenchanted that the reservoir of goodwill and trust towards the club has dried up. Some take it our on Redknapp, a few want to have a pop at Fernandes, some like me are randomly grumbling. Facts almost don't matter any more, the whole atmosphere is poisonous.

Anytime last summer I'd have snatched your hand off for a place in the play-offs and I wouldn't have been that fussed if you told me that it was only temporary, because I'd have taken it to mean that the club had turned round after the shite of last year and that we'd be ready for a bloody good push next year. As it is the feel-good factor is notably absent and was fairly minimal even when we were top.

There's no sign that things are moving forward or we have any plan other than to buy a whole lot more players. Blame who you like for that but people will keep on bitching until they feel that change

With regards to people having a pop at Fernandes:' be careful what you wish for!' and 'don't bite the hand that feeds you!'
Harrys excuse on 10:44 - Feb 26 with 1162 viewsSomersetHoops

No excuse can defend the way the players are being set-up and motivated at the moment. In the last game you would write-off the whole team as being useless, but it can't just be the players, although their attitude seems to be less than we should expect from them.

Harry needs to realise between now and the end of the season he has got to get results and performances from the players he has, instead of reflecting on what he might have had. It seems to me whoever is playing at the club at the moment would not be feeling like giving their all and its the job of the manager and coaches to get the best out of them. If Harry's reputation as a good motivator is to remain intact he needs to get on and do it, or admit he can't any more and let someone else have a go.

It seems too much of Harry's energy is being used on hinting to the press excuses for what is happening rather than getting on with his job. If his medical problems are so severe that they are effecting his ability to do the job (rather than another excuse) he should face up to it and deal with it in a fair way to the club and his reputation.

Who's Next?

Login to get fewer ads

Harrys excuse on 10:56 - Feb 26 with 1143 viewsAntti_Heinola

I'm not sure that many people want Redknapp out, Bosh. I don't, and I can't stand the man. But to say we've just gone off the boil recently is wrong I'm afraid - we've never been on the boil, at any point, under Redknapp.
You can say these quotes are out of context etc, but at the very least he's ar$e-covering:

“Everything we did in the transfer window was a gamble. We thought we had the boy from Milan coming and the left-winger from Auxerre who looked like a world-beater — and suddenly they don’t come, and then you're left scrambling about.”

What else is he saying there except for he's not happy with what he got? For me, he's making excuses, again. He's signed 20 players in a year. 20. He's had more than enough time to get us playing decent stuff, he's been given plenty of money for transfers and wages, the club have bent over backwards to get in emergency deals we don't really need and still he comes out with nonsense about 'scrabbling about'. Sorry, he shouldn't be sacked, but he should shut up and knuckle down and find a bloody way of making what he has work.

Bare bones.

Harrys excuse on 11:02 - Feb 26 with 1140 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Harrys excuse on 10:56 - Feb 26 by Antti_Heinola

I'm not sure that many people want Redknapp out, Bosh. I don't, and I can't stand the man. But to say we've just gone off the boil recently is wrong I'm afraid - we've never been on the boil, at any point, under Redknapp.
You can say these quotes are out of context etc, but at the very least he's ar$e-covering:

“Everything we did in the transfer window was a gamble. We thought we had the boy from Milan coming and the left-winger from Auxerre who looked like a world-beater — and suddenly they don’t come, and then you're left scrambling about.”

What else is he saying there except for he's not happy with what he got? For me, he's making excuses, again. He's signed 20 players in a year. 20. He's had more than enough time to get us playing decent stuff, he's been given plenty of money for transfers and wages, the club have bent over backwards to get in emergency deals we don't really need and still he comes out with nonsense about 'scrabbling about'. Sorry, he shouldn't be sacked, but he should shut up and knuckle down and find a bloody way of making what he has work.

All bang on, Antti.

Also - how must the latest players in feel, now taht they know they were merely the result of their new manager being forced to "scramble around".

Harrys excuse on 11:11 - Feb 26 with 1124 viewsadhoc_qpr

I think the low reserve of good will comment is the most accurate.

It's been such a miserable few years that it doesn't take much going wrong for the gloom/depression to set in again - plus the dire football all season hasn't helped.

I say give Redknapp enough rope to hang himself, if he doesn't get us up he has to go. But no point sacking him now.

TF doesn't seem to have learned anything and a botched January transfer window wasn't very inspiring (sorry but we knew we needed another 2 forwards from September onwards).

I can't see us going up in the playoffs as we just don't score goals, then the pressure is on TF to appoint the right manager, some real coaches and adopt a sensible transfer policy while tightening the purse strings.
Harrys excuse on 11:11 - Feb 26 with 1124 viewsdolcelatte

Harrys excuse on 11:02 - Feb 26 by BrianMcCarthy

All bang on, Antti.

Also - how must the latest players in feel, now taht they know they were merely the result of their new manager being forced to "scramble around".

I think their bank balance may dictate how they feel about "scrambling" and that is very much the problem of modern day football..

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Harrys excuse on 11:17 - Feb 26 with 1116 viewsA40Bosh

All bang on, Antti.

I agree with you and Antti as well Brian.

I would argue though that Harry has always been good copy, and that it is probably just one interview on let's say Talksport after a defeat that loads of journos and bloggers latch on to and then generate loads more headlines and make it appear that Harry is blabbing his mouth off to all and sundry who will listen to him 12hrs a day, 7 days a week.

I am sure that the reality is that he is merely being quoted responding to a question (more often than not we never see the extent of the wider conversation or the actual question as posed) and he spends more time concentrating on the footballing side of things than some would have us believe.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Harrys excuse on 11:17 - Feb 26 with 1114 viewsAntti_Heinola

All bang on, Antti.

Agree. Ill-advised stuff.

Bare bones.

Harrys excuse on 11:20 - Feb 26 with 1107 viewsdaveB

All bang on, Antti.

The players will feel fine because in the next sentance that Warburton opted to ignore he spoke highly of the players he got in like Doyle and Morrison
Harrys excuse on 11:28 - Feb 26 with 1076 viewsJuzzie

Harrys excuse on 19:34 - Feb 25 by kysersosaqpr

People on the site were going on that we should play with two strikers. We've done that and gone down the plug hole. We're not getting ball to the front because we are getting over run in midfield with toilet not performing, we usually only have three midfielders. Get back to 4-5-1 ( we have got loads of midfielders and bugger all up front) and we would bolster up again.

4-5-1 or 4-4-2? Why not go 3-5-2.... It worked for Southampton. We've set out very defensivley all season, the emphasis on playing not to lose rather than to win, and nicking the odd goal to get the win. All very well until we stop scoring and start conceding which we are doing.

So, fk it, let's go for it... 3-5-2. The wide pair have to work hard for their £30k a week and act as supply and defence.
Harrys excuse on 11:33 - Feb 26 with 1067 viewsWeaverQPR

HR has so many players he doesnt have a clue who or where to play them anymore. Quantity over quality.

@WeavQPR

Harrys excuse on 11:50 - Feb 26 with 1056 viewsdaveB

Harrys excuse on 11:28 - Feb 26 by Juzzie

4-5-1 or 4-4-2? Why not go 3-5-2.... It worked for Southampton. We've set out very defensivley all season, the emphasis on playing not to lose rather than to win, and nicking the odd goal to get the win. All very well until we stop scoring and start conceding which we are doing.

So, fk it, let's go for it... 3-5-2. The wide pair have to work hard for their £30k a week and act as supply and defence.

We played 3-5-2 last week
Harrys excuse on 11:51 - Feb 26 with 1056 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Harrys excuse on 11:20 - Feb 26 by daveB

The players will feel fine because in the next sentance that Warburton opted to ignore he spoke highly of the players he got in like Doyle and Morrison

Very true, Dave, and your point that all of this is taken out of context by the journalist is naturally valid. However, that particular statement by Redknapp was dangerous and unnecessary. Thanks to Warburton, the players in question might only read one sentence. Redknapp's been around long enough to know that every setence needs to be safe in context or out of context. While that's not always possible, this sentence was either ill-conceived or possibly even petulant.

When I think about the managers I admire and have admired they are invriably managers who watch their words lest they affect the morale, dignity, unity and the resultant performance levels of their squad. Rightly or wrongly, Redknapp strikes me as a man who thinks about defending himself first.

Harrys excuse on 11:55 - Feb 26 with 1043 viewsdaveB

Harrys excuse on 11:51 - Feb 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Very true, Dave, and your point that all of this is taken out of context by the journalist is naturally valid. However, that particular statement by Redknapp was dangerous and unnecessary. Thanks to Warburton, the players in question might only read one sentence. Redknapp's been around long enough to know that every setence needs to be safe in context or out of context. While that's not always possible, this sentence was either ill-conceived or possibly even petulant.

When I think about the managers I admire and have admired they are invriably managers who watch their words lest they affect the morale, dignity, unity and the resultant performance levels of their squad. Rightly or wrongly, Redknapp strikes me as a man who thinks about defending himself first.

I very much doubt Doyle and co were reading the local rag and dissecting every sentence in the way we as supporters do

If they did they would just go and speak to the manager and hear it from the horses mouth. Footballers are nowhere near as sensitive to this kind of thing as fans are.

Every manager thinks about defending himself first same as every player, as soon as a manager says I made a mistake or I got it wrong the writing is on the wall for them as they start to lose the confidence of the players
Harrys excuse on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 1018 viewsAntti_Heinola

Harrys excuse on 11:55 - Feb 26 by daveB

I very much doubt Doyle and co were reading the local rag and dissecting every sentence in the way we as supporters do

If they did they would just go and speak to the manager and hear it from the horses mouth. Footballers are nowhere near as sensitive to this kind of thing as fans are.

Every manager thinks about defending himself first same as every player, as soon as a manager says I made a mistake or I got it wrong the writing is on the wall for them as they start to lose the confidence of the players

Of course players read papers etc. Maybe not this one, but still. Something like that could easily pee players off IMO. Why wouldn't it?
As for the manager admitting mistakes meaning he loses the dressing room, sorry, but plenty of decent managers often admit to an error here or there precisely to protect the players from criticism. Not Fergie's style, but Jose's done it on occasions.

Bare bones.

Harrys excuse on 12:26 - Feb 26 with 1018 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Harrys excuse on 11:55 - Feb 26 by daveB

I don't really agree with that, Dave, to be honest.

Players value loyalty, specially in public, and they can sniff a solo-merchant a mile off.

I know what you're saying with the last line, but I find that the opposite can also be true and can be very effective. I remember when Blackburn were going for the title. They blew a big game away from home and the players looked stagestruck. You feared for their bottle for the rest of the run-in. Dalglish promptly went on telly and in to print taking the blame for the performance and defeat, saying that he changed the tactics, that it was his fault, and that he wouldn't make that mistake again. The headlines were changed. Instead of talk of bottle, he had changed the narrative to talk of his 'mistake'. I thought it a masterstroke, one of the defining moments of their success, and the players must have loved him for it.

Anyway, just my point of view, doctors differ, and all that...

Harrys excuse on 12:30 - Feb 26 with 1005 viewsHunterhoop

Harrys excuse on 11:50 - Feb 26 by daveB

We played 3-5-2 last week

We played 3-5-1-1. You could even argue it was 3-4-2-1.

Neither Morrison nor Hoilett played as a genuine forward. We did not have 2 up front.
Harrys excuse on 12:32 - Feb 26 with 994 viewsR_from_afar

Harrys excuse on 08:13 - Feb 26 by whittocksRs

Two players he should have signed on loan during the transfer window that were neither risks nor expensive:

Maynard (went to Wigan)
Bamford (Derby)

No excuses for me, chasing unproven Europeans meant he missed out on the best deals at home.

Wow, you mean that there are players at other British clubs who are actually scoring goals? I thought we went after those two overseas players because there's no one in the British leagues who can find the net any more.

Seriously, the players we missed out on were real long shots. How long would it have taken them to "settle"? Ages, when we need results quickly.

The point about Austin made elsewhere on this thread is a good one too; we all knew we were light on strikers, as we always seem to be. In fact, with Rangers, it's safe to assume that we are. We have been since Gallen and Furs were in their pomp.

Redknapp is like a cross between a spokesman and chief buyer. It's always about his yarns and opinions and buying in umpteen new players. How about we try working with what we have? Or failing that, let's go the whole hog in the next transfer window and, if we are still in the Ch'ship, simply buy the entire starting 11 of the team which is topping the table. Simples. Saves any of that nasty coaching stuff...

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Harrys excuse on 12:34 - Feb 26 with 988 viewsHunterhoop

Also, training is lacking intensity. This has come second hand from a member of the youth coaching set up. Training is very similar to how we come across in matches: 2nd gear, no urgency, general passing, no one busting a gut. Redknapp is rarely there, Bond doesn't get too involved, Jordon takes the outfield training and Hitchock the keepers.

Apparently Will Keane has even commented to coaching staff over the lack of intensity compared to Man Utd. Supposedly he was flabbergasted at the standard.

Don't see why I should doubt this. No reason for this bloke to lie to his mate, who told me. It completely backs up what we've seen on the pitch all season and why certain players don't appear to have got any leaner or fitter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024