Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought 08:13 - Oct 10 with 6755 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First single bought with your own money. No lies, excuses and apologoes are welcome, but no lies!

My first single was probably 'How much is that doggie on the window?' but this is the first one I saved up for with my pocket money. Three of us went into Golden Discs in Cork. We bought U2 - 3, The Specials' Gangsters and this one, which was mine. I loved all three and ended up swapping with them for the other two as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:21 - Oct 10 with 2955 viewsPommyhoop

Remember your a Womble by Status Quo ..No sorry by The Wombles.
Sort of Quo'esque if you listen to it tho....

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:25 - Oct 10 with 2943 viewsDiscodroids

great first record bri..^^^

mine was brought from a long since departed record shop in green street ,upton park.. 1975 i was eight. still remember the artwork on the disk below.

by the time i was nine i was going into woolworths every pocket money day and selecting two singles from the wall of delights and wonder that displayed the top 75.

they really were marvelous times ladies and gentlemen.

no 'minecraft' in sight, thank fk.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 8:27]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:26 - Oct 10 with 2941 viewsLblock

Nice one Brian.

I remember breaking my vinyl virginity well.
Walked into Magnum records on Northfields Avenue all furtive and excited, couldn't find Baggy Trousers so settled for this one.

I was hooked.
Since then I've spent many a happy hour flicking through vinyl bins and that thrill of finding a track, taking it home and placing it lovingly on the deck and that first crack and hum of stylus on groove just cannot be replaced.

It was a sad day when Magnum shut and the Magnum Force were no more.
Then Vinylmania appeared to quench the thirst of the house buying 12" record massive and my days did I spend some wages in there?! I still have the craic with Steve D the owner when I see him now and then.... another sad day when he sold up and the place is a cab office now

Music was my first love, and she shall be my last.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:31 - Oct 10 with 2934 viewsPommyhoop

First Album ( sorry another thread maybe)

Look at the artwork tho.Almost worthy of a Heavy Metal cover

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:31 - Oct 10 with 2934 viewsscot1963

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:25 - Oct 10 by Discodroids

great first record bri..^^^

mine was brought from a long since departed record shop in green street ,upton park.. 1975 i was eight. still remember the artwork on the disk below.

by the time i was nine i was going into woolworths every pocket money day and selecting two singles from the wall of delights and wonder that displayed the top 75.

they really were marvelous times ladies and gentlemen.

no 'minecraft' in sight, thank fk.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 8:27]

disco, was looking at this single just the other day - not because I like it but when I looked it up he was the keyboard player in Nazareth and I commented on his rather impressive haircut the other week. Read an interesting interview with him in that he didn't seem to recall a lot from that sort of era with the interviewer prompting him on who he worked with. I would imagine the first records I bought were Gary Glitter which is now unacceptable so delving back as far as I can recall it must be this one which I've mentioned before

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:43 - Oct 10 with 2914 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Philip Jap "Total Erasure,", cost me 20p around 1982 or 1983.

Whaddaya mean you've never heard of him...?

Never use one or two words when a couple of thousand will easily do
Poll: REVISED EXPECTATIONS - Where will QPR finish this season?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:46 - Oct 10 with 2908 viewsRamseyR

Wizard - Are You Ready To Rock .....what a load of shite, but I was only 10!

I wonder what ever happened to the DJ signing off at the end?

[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 8:55]
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:47 - Oct 10 with 2902 viewsTheBlob

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:31 - Oct 10 by scot1963

disco, was looking at this single just the other day - not because I like it but when I looked it up he was the keyboard player in Nazareth and I commented on his rather impressive haircut the other week. Read an interesting interview with him in that he didn't seem to recall a lot from that sort of era with the interviewer prompting him on who he worked with. I would imagine the first records I bought were Gary Glitter which is now unacceptable so delving back as far as I can recall it must be this one which I've mentioned before

"Telescope" aka Andy Clark.

1959 and a young and impressionable Blob bought this with a record token.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:52 - Oct 10 with 2893 viewsMytch_QPR

This:

From memory, I had a vague recollection that I wanted to be a punk and a bit rebellious. The clincher was that it was on orange vinyl, which I thought was akin to discovering gold at the time. The next single I bought was The Police - either Roxanne or Walking On The Moon, so I didn't really know what sort of music I was into!

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:53 - Oct 10 with 2890 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I think it was this. F'kin Majik still.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:59 - Oct 10 with 2881 viewsDiscodroids

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:46 - Oct 10 by RamseyR

Wizard - Are You Ready To Rock .....what a load of shite, but I was only 10!

I wonder what ever happened to the DJ signing off at the end?

[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 8:55]

hehehe i took that ventriloquist dummy , with the ginger hair , into my primary school on a free play day, it scared the shit out of the girls and made them cry!!...thanks for the memory..

first l.p 1978.

still a huge fan and producing new progressive stuff.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 9:05]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:59 - Oct 10 with 2882 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On clear vinyl no less.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:02 - Oct 10 with 2875 viewsPommyhoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:59 - Oct 10 by CroydonCaptJack

On clear vinyl no less.

Loved that track..
This is the sound ,this is the sound of the suburbs,,...

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:03 - Oct 10 with 2870 viewsDiscodroids

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:47 - Oct 10 by TheBlob

"Telescope" aka Andy Clark.

1959 and a young and impressionable Blob bought this with a record token.

i would have had you down as skiffle for a first single uncle blob....lonnie donnigan or someone like that.

wasnt all that stuff meant to be a bit groundbreaking for fifties/early sixties kids??
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 9:07]

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:07 - Oct 10 with 2861 viewsjohann28

Cost me 30p as I recall - we'd just gone decimal and singles used to be 7/6, so you can figure it out (?). I still quite like it.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:13 - Oct 10 with 2849 viewsTheBlob

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:03 - Oct 10 by Discodroids

i would have had you down as skiffle for a first single uncle blob....lonnie donnigan or someone like that.

wasnt all that stuff meant to be a bit groundbreaking for fifties/early sixties kids??
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 9:07]

Skiffle was pants Disco,even though Jimmy Page had a bash at one time.
It was always blues based rock for us Blobites,me bruv bought this as a 78....

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:24 - Oct 10 with 2837 viewsBrightonhoop

Get on!

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:41 - Oct 10 with 2825 viewsqprwpg

Can't remember the first single, but this was one of them.

@'Tallica, what is it the G'n'R that their old songs still rock? Or is just me?

Twitter: @qprwpg

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:53 - Oct 10 with 2816 viewsA40Bosh

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:41 - Oct 10 by qprwpg

Can't remember the first single, but this was one of them.

@'Tallica, what is it the G'n'R that their old songs still rock? Or is just me?

I have to turn this one off if it comes on the radio when I am driving.
Likely to end up being wrapped around a tree otherwise!!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:19 - Oct 10 with 2794 viewsqprwpg

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:53 - Oct 10 by A40Bosh

I have to turn this one off if it comes on the radio when I am driving.
Likely to end up being wrapped around a tree otherwise!!!

Good thing they don't play it too often then. Here's another classic G'n'R

It's amazing how much joy some metal strings strapped to a piece of wood zapped with a bit of electricity can bring.

EDIT: yes, this one is acoustic, so the electricity bit doesn't apply
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 10:21]

Twitter: @qprwpg

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:20 - Oct 10 with 2794 viewsToast_R

I don't for a minute believe a lot of these were peoples first singles...come on really?

Here's mine

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:22 - Oct 10 with 2786 viewsdanehoop

Clash City Rockers - The Clash

My brother was a punk and used to listen to lots of his music when I was about ten I was able to go down and by my first single. There it was.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 10:23]

Never knowingly understood

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:32 - Oct 10 with 2773 viewsKonk

Bought with vouchers from WH Smiths at Brent Cross. In my defence, I was six at the time and my older brother wasn’t much help on the guidance front.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:36 - Oct 10 with 2762 viewsPommyhoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 09:13 - Oct 10 by TheBlob

Skiffle was pants Disco,even though Jimmy Page had a bash at one time.
It was always blues based rock for us Blobites,me bruv bought this as a 78....

Fair play to your bruv, Blob. My Mum was heavily in The King so I had untold records to listen to . Honest she had collections of collections ..every album ,every film every everything about Elvis.
My Old Man god rest him was into a bit of Johnny Cash. So I grew up with beauty's like this too...

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:36 - Oct 10 with 2760 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:19 - Oct 10 by qprwpg

Good thing they don't play it too often then. Here's another classic G'n'R

It's amazing how much joy some metal strings strapped to a piece of wood zapped with a bit of electricity can bring.

EDIT: yes, this one is acoustic, so the electricity bit doesn't apply
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 10:21]

Old GNR will always be found on my PC/MP3.

Mr Brownstone came on the radio this morning while fitting a Dyson blade. I was playing air guitar with flex

This was the first CD I bought but not Vinyl

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024