Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crossover Car thread 15:29 - Jan 13 with 11891 viewspaesanu

Anyone got one? I've just started researching for a new motor. By coincidence, both the Nissan ones - Qashqai and Juke - get the vote from both the wifey and I. Anyone want to praise insult these, and / or suggest others?

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Crossover Car thread on 09:47 - Jan 14 with 2354 viewsJuzzie

Crossover Car thread on 00:47 - Jan 14 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't understand why city dwellers are suddenly mountainy motory types. Has the Mayor of London installed an Alpine range in West London since I lived there?

"I'm off to the shops, honey"
"You better take the crossover car, sweetest, if you're going over the Alpine range to get to the new Tesco"
"Indeed, Gran took the Mini last week to Morrisons and is still stuck on the Matterhorn".

I think it's 'cos in anything smaller you get bullied. There are now so many vans, buses, lorries etc in London it can get intimidating at times. I had a 3 door Pajero 4x4 for a few years and no one bullied me and when it came to a game of chicken, more often than not it was the other driver than got out of my way!

[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 12:22]
Crossover Car thread on 10:39 - Jan 14 with 2326 viewsLongsufferingR

Crossover Car thread on 22:40 - Jan 13 by johnswiltsqpr

Can someone please explain how personal leasing works. My wife has been looking at them and trying to explain how it works but she's going on what her friend told her. I'd like to hearing from someone who already does it thanks, is insurance and servicing included etc

Just done it for the first time and makes sense to me. 3 year deal, brand new car, 1st month fee of £750, then £250 a month for next 35 months. Can include servicing for extra fee, but I haven't included it on mine. No MOT, but I still have to pay for the insurance, and it's worthwhile getting GAP insurance (cost me £95 to cover the whole 3 year period) to cover the difference between the cost of a new car and what the insurers will pay out if you write it off in year 2 or year 3.

No option to buy at the end, but some dealers do offer that as an alternative.

This comes in handy - http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/car-leasing-guide/
Crossover Car thread on 10:42 - Jan 14 with 2323 viewsBasingstokeR

Crossover Car thread on 09:47 - Jan 14 by Juzzie

I think it's 'cos in anything smaller you get bullied. There are now so many vans, buses, lorries etc in London it can get intimidating at times. I had a 3 door Pajero 4x4 for a few years and no one bullied me and when it came to a game of chicken, more often than not it was the other driver than got out of my way!

[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 12:22]

3 Door Pajero?

Crossover Car thread on 10:50 - Jan 14 with 2295 viewsJamie

Crossover Car thread on 22:40 - Jan 13 by johnswiltsqpr

Can someone please explain how personal leasing works. My wife has been looking at them and trying to explain how it works but she's going on what her friend told her. I'd like to hearing from someone who already does it thanks, is insurance and servicing included etc

You put down a smallish amount upfront, then pay a set amount every month for either 2 or 3 years depending on the deal.

At the end of that period, you can either refinance and buy the car outright or 'trade it in' for another new car on a new 2/3 year deal.

The downside is that you don't 'own' the car unless you choose to buy it at the end, the upside is a new car every few years and some of the deals around are brilliant.
Crossover Car thread on 10:57 - Jan 14 with 2304 viewsTheBlob

The trend just illustrates (for me) the general feeling in cities,more aggressive and almost Mad Max.The styling on some could well be at home in those movies,have a butchers at the Citroen C4 Cactus for example.The old Vauxhall Frontera kind of kicked it all off and people twigged that an in your face stance was the way to go,elevated driving position and all that sheeit.The trend for taller vehicles continues and probably we'll all be driving around in double deckers before long.

[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 11:02]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Crossover Car thread on 11:09 - Jan 14 with 2278 viewswombat

Crossover Car thread on 10:57 - Jan 14 by TheBlob

The trend just illustrates (for me) the general feeling in cities,more aggressive and almost Mad Max.The styling on some could well be at home in those movies,have a butchers at the Citroen C4 Cactus for example.The old Vauxhall Frontera kind of kicked it all off and people twigged that an in your face stance was the way to go,elevated driving position and all that sheeit.The trend for taller vehicles continues and probably we'll all be driving around in double deckers before long.

[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 11:02]

the cross overs are great as u are sat slightly higher so better overall view of whats happening , also easier to smack the odd cyclist who decides to undertake overtake stop or do anything the average london cyclist does these days

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Crossover Car thread on 11:14 - Jan 14 with 2273 viewsTheBlob

Crossover Car thread on 11:09 - Jan 14 by wombat

the cross overs are great as u are sat slightly higher so better overall view of whats happening , also easier to smack the odd cyclist who decides to undertake overtake stop or do anything the average london cyclist does these days

Well this is true.Also there's more ground clearance which gives the cyclists' vital transplant organs better chance of survival.

Only kidding.

Crossover Car thread on 11:15 - Jan 14 with 2271 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Little known fact of the day.....

Mitsubishi had to change the marketing name of the Pajero in Latin-American as in their version of Spanish it is also a common term of abuse, usually translated as "w4nker" or "t0sser"

Thus why there, It is known as the Mitsubishi Montero
Login to get fewer ads

Crossover Car thread on 11:19 - Jan 14 with 2266 viewsexiled_dictator

if crossover is the answer, then you might be asking the wrong question.
if money is no object, then buy a range rover or s-class mercedes.
something small and nippy is all you need nowadays. all cars will happily do 70 on the motorway, even 3 cylinder smart cars. you just need a car to get you from a to b comfortably and safely.
someone mentioned they wouldn't buy a skoda because of its badge, and snob value, yet they continue to support qpr. oh dear, talk about badge pride there!!
my kids need a car for themselves, as neither my wife or i will lend them ours. i cannot afford badge snobbery, so we ended up buying a kia picanto 1.0 and i have to say for the money it seems pretty decent value. 7 year warranty and low insurance mean it seems the perfect car for london. not necessarily the car for the stelvio, but then they aint going there yet.
and 4-wheel drive cars in london? PAH!!! what a joke. to tell your mates you went 'off-road' on the pavement.
if you live where it is genuinely required, then fine but what message are you trying to send out?
think seriously about what you really need, then look to find that car as opposed to the car trying to fill your need.
the nissan juke looks absolutely dreadful, small rear door openings onto limited rear legroom with a small odd shaped boot. often referred to as the joke. but if that's your thing, then good for you.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Crossover Car thread on 11:19 - Jan 14 with 2265 viewsTheBlob

Crossover Car thread on 11:15 - Jan 14 by WrightUp5hit___

Mitsubishi had to change the marketing name of the Pajero in Latin-American as in their version of Spanish it is also a common term of abuse, usually translated as "w4nker" or "t0sser"

Yeah there have been a few translated boners down the years.
You couldn't sell the Triumph Aclaim in Germany for example as it translates to Sieg Heil,ot the Rolls Royce "Silver Mist".
Also there was a brand of electrical goods you could get in Curry's - couldn't sell them in Japan as it was the name of a notorious child murderer.

Crossover Car thread on 11:26 - Jan 14 with 2260 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Absolute classic was the Toyota MR2 in France, just say it out loud, in French, with a Frenchish accent!

They shortened the name to MR there.
Crossover Car thread on 11:50 - Jan 14 with 2240 viewsthompsonridd

Just got QashQai 1.5dci.

Bloody superb smooth engine and a lovely comfortable car with plenty of go.

Tossed up between Ford Kuga, Nissan QashQai & Skoda Yeti. Glad to say the Qashqai won as very pleased with it so far.
Crossover Car thread on 12:07 - Jan 14 with 2223 viewswombat

Crossover Car thread on 11:14 - Jan 14 by TheBlob

Well this is true.Also there's more ground clearance which gives the cyclists' vital transplant organs better chance of survival.

Only kidding.

blob funnily enough the crosss overs do mangle the much needed cyclists organs due to them hitting higher up the body so people remember it you do hit one aim for a glancing blow more than head on , more organs survive for us overweight smokers

and drive a big 4x4 myself due to having no choice due to weekend lifestyle and loving the size of the car on the road

Crossover Car thread on 12:13 - Jan 14 with 2222 viewsJuzzie

Crossover Car thread on 11:15 - Jan 14 by WrightUp5hit___

I was made aware of that after I bought the car!! Made me laff that I was driving around in a Mitsubishi W@nker.

Mitsubishi called it Pajero after the Pampas cat (Leopardus Pajeros). Being from South America and generally as they are Spansih speaking, does that mean that cat was also called a w@nker too?!

I agree with Blob about the aggressive Mad Max nature of cars. It's same as I was saying, it's open warfare out there these days.
Last night a bloke of middle eastern origin was in a big Merc saloon. Switched lanes really fast straight into my lane meaning I had to get out of the way or I'd have been taken out. He didn't indicate and was on the phone. When I politely pointed this out to him he just claimed I was in his blind spot.... well pardon me for being in my own lane!!
Didn't give a shit that he didn't indicate, was too aggressive in his manoeuvre, clearly didn't look properly and was ON THE FKING PHONE.

I really need to get a head-cam. Not to be a self righteous Youtube w@nker, but for evidence as it's only a matter of time before I do get taken out.

[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 13:18]
Crossover Car thread on 12:50 - Jan 14 with 2185 viewsOakR

If you do get a 4x4, a colleague at work has one though is more outskirts of London.

Anyway, he joined a 4x4 rescue, he's done some interesting things. when weather has been really bad eg snow flooding they pick nurses doctors up from their houses to get them to hospital etc, they've towed ambulances, helped fireworks displays getting vans etc on and off muddy fields. They get some training for all this and loose linked with rescue services. He really enjoys it, and they gone training with winches etc, off-road practise. This was in a Disco mind you, not sure how the crossovers would fair, but he now has an Audi A6 quattro I think and is still available for some of this.

Lastly used to hate that Cactus, but I quite like it now

Poll: Will we stay up?

Crossover Car thread on 12:58 - Jan 14 with 2066 viewsFredManRave

Crossover Car thread on 23:18 - Jan 13 by Boston

None of the above mentioned vehicles will do anything to help penis size.

So what did you try next?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Crossover Car thread on 14:01 - Jan 14 with 2035 viewsbaz_qpr

Was looking at them a year or two ago but ended up going with a normal Hyundai IX30 5 year guarantee and all that. Test drove quite a few. The Juke I tried was dire small and like driving a Nissan Micra on steroids but with no adjustment to the engine power, kids hated it in the back as well. Really liked the Suzuki but you know its value will drop like a stone as a Citroen or Renault would. The Qashqai is the Ford focus of the generation, loads of them about. Well worth looking at the Hyundai or Kia as the 5/7 year Warranty means they keep their value so ultimately its cheaper motoring in the end
Crossover Car thread on 19:40 - Jan 14 with 1957 viewsTonto

Am I the only person who thinks that Cactus thing is the ugliest most stupid looking car since the Fiat Multipla?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Crossover Car thread on 20:43 - Jan 14 with 1938 viewssuperstan

Crossover Car thread on 22:07 - Jan 13 by YorkRanger

Buy a Golf

Different perspective, I had a VW Phaeton (chauffeur) worst customer service ever experienced was from VW Citygate in both Ruislip and Little Chalfont, absolute wonkers.
Crossover Car thread on 22:37 - Jan 14 with 1892 viewsted_hendrix

I shall be ordering my new Company car at the end of this Month, I've thought long and hard for about 17 seconds as to what I should order but then decided that I shall probably do what I've done every 4 Years for what seems an eternity and plump for and order another Ford Focus.

It did cross my mind though that I might be able to get some sort of thingy (they might be called winch bumpers or animal killers) that's attached to the front of the car that would enable me to capture any stray wildebeest, baboon, duck-billed platypus or whatever stray animal that's innocently and majestically roaming the tarmac infested M4 and the surrounding A and B roads of Southern England.

Its great driving a Ford Focus, you can overtake say a Charlton or a maybe even a Brentford fan driving his Ford Fiesta and shout at the minge "get out the way you piss pot, check me out in my Ford Focus with a six speed gearbox, you cant bully me my Ford Focus is bigger than your Ford Fiesta you loser"

I cant wait till the end of the Month.

Off road

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Crossover Car thread on 00:31 - Jan 15 with 1859 viewsqueensparker

I reckon buying/leasing a brand new car these days has got to be the biggest scam going. What's the point?

Find something you want that's done 20,000 miles under warranty with a full service, ironed out its kinks, know a decent independent garage or mate, and you can drive it to 40-50,000 miles and sell it on for not much less. Then do it again. Modern cars are incredibly reliable. You never see some poor git on the M4 hard shoulder with steam coming out the bonnet anymore unless it's an old MG Midget or something.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2016 0:32]
Crossover Car thread on 10:54 - Jan 15 with 1793 viewsJuzzie

Crossover Car thread on 00:31 - Jan 15 by queensparker

I reckon buying/leasing a brand new car these days has got to be the biggest scam going. What's the point?

Find something you want that's done 20,000 miles under warranty with a full service, ironed out its kinks, know a decent independent garage or mate, and you can drive it to 40-50,000 miles and sell it on for not much less. Then do it again. Modern cars are incredibly reliable. You never see some poor git on the M4 hard shoulder with steam coming out the bonnet anymore unless it's an old MG Midget or something.

Same here. I still don't 'get' how it all works. There's no way it is being done for the benefit of the consumer, nothing ever is these days. It will be designed so that they make more money, not you.
Crossover Car thread on 11:05 - Jan 15 with 1789 viewsTheBlob

Crossover Car thread on 10:54 - Jan 15 by Juzzie

Same here. I still don't 'get' how it all works. There's no way it is being done for the benefit of the consumer, nothing ever is these days. It will be designed so that they make more money, not you.

The lure of the brand new against the pre owned has always had something to do with not having had someone else's arseoles (and bodily fluids) on the seats.(apart from the delivery driver who sits on plastic sheeting).Ain't it worth the extra?

Crossover Car thread on 11:16 - Jan 15 with 1781 viewswombat

leasing works if you like to know you have a reliable car and not lose a shed load when u come to hand it back or sell it in a couple of years , lot of people dont have the up front wedge to buy a car so smaller down payment for a lease and monthly payment , end of the lease hand it back and start again , ill never own another car again give me lease deals every day of the week

Crossover Car thread on 11:18 - Jan 15 with 1781 viewspaesanu

I see where you're coming from, but what if you can't stump up the cash? 'Tough luck', sure, but an upfront purchase with a meagre budget might get you an impractical car.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024