Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Half decent tv 06:36 - Apr 29 with 564474 viewsLadbrokeR

I watched the last episode of line of duty and thought that was good. Undercover has finally grabbed by attention. I quite like some of the investigative programmes Stacey Dooley does. However I can't wait for the next series of people just do nothing.
Half decent tv on 12:23 - May 31 with 4725 viewsMrSheen

Half decent tv on 00:29 - May 14 by GaryT

Watched it last night. I'm actually surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I'm sure corners are cut to increase profits in the majority of multi nationals so just swap diluted disinfectants for any mass produced product and there'll be a negative knock on effect. Greece had/has a big problem with 'cash under the counter' for services so, like Romania, I'm sure someone could come up with a similar story there of corruption across the board.

The documentary ended a bit abruptly so I think there's room for a follow up if they have the will and the courage to do it (whilst managing the threats to their families). One important message that stood out was the need for proper investigative journalism as that's all that stands between us and those in power. Beware of anyone trying to undermine, discredit or imply that the journalists serve no purpose or that they are the purveyors of lies or fake news, you know, that sort of thing. So if you hear anything like that it should be a giant fooking red flag that someone wants to hide what they are really up to from the public so keep your ears peeled.

Just found this... https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-battles-to-get-greece-off-costly-drugs/
In a hugely expensive area like healthcare, there will be lots of dirty in-fighting to get a bigger share, particularly if the state rather than end-users are paying. Local vested interests, particularly large organised groups who are both highly trusted and massively incentivised to defend the status quo, are more than capable of looking after themselves.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 12:27]
Half decent tv on 12:30 - May 31 with 4703 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Justified (Amazon Prime) is fantastic. Well worthy of Elmore Leonard, as it’s based on one of his short stories. Walton Goggins (The Shield) is a serious talent.
Thanks to whoever it was on here that recommended Fauda. I’ve just finished S1. Noel Gallagher’s Arabic is very good, isn’t it?
[Post edited 31 May 2021 12:31]
Half decent tv on 12:37 - May 31 with 4686 viewsozexile

Mare of easttown is excellent. Kate Winslet is incredible.
Half decent tv on 13:01 - May 31 with 4665 viewsMrSheen

Half decent tv on 12:30 - May 31 by Ghost_on_the_Westway

Justified (Amazon Prime) is fantastic. Well worthy of Elmore Leonard, as it’s based on one of his short stories. Walton Goggins (The Shield) is a serious talent.
Thanks to whoever it was on here that recommended Fauda. I’ve just finished S1. Noel Gallagher’s Arabic is very good, isn’t it?

So many great characters on Justified, but how many people does Raylan kill in 6 series? One-man death squad.

I've just finished re-watching Deadwood, it's remarkable how many actors popped up in other series later.
Half decent tv on 16:23 - May 31 with 4597 viewsGaryT

Half decent tv on 12:23 - May 31 by MrSheen

Just found this... https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-battles-to-get-greece-off-costly-drugs/
In a hugely expensive area like healthcare, there will be lots of dirty in-fighting to get a bigger share, particularly if the state rather than end-users are paying. Local vested interests, particularly large organised groups who are both highly trusted and massively incentivised to defend the status quo, are more than capable of looking after themselves.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 12:27]

From that article...

"the government doesn’t want to harm local pharma companies, which remain one of the few successful industries in the country, contributing almost €3 billion a year to its economy"

and

"Despite the pressure on the drugmakers, doctors have still been signing off on high volumes of drugs to patients, and drugmakers say the number of prescriptions has gone through the roof. They would like the government to look into why the number of prescriptions went from 4.5 million a month in 2010 to 6.5 million a month in 2017".

Yeah, good luck with getting the government to shoot that cash cow.
Half decent tv on 16:48 - May 31 with 4575 viewsGaryT

Oh God, so that's 7 episodes of Borat, 7 episodes of The Handmaid's tale and 6 series of Justified. Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop being a couch potato!
[Post edited 31 May 2021 18:04]
Half decent tv on 17:10 - May 31 with 4563 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Half decent tv on 13:01 - May 31 by MrSheen

So many great characters on Justified, but how many people does Raylan kill in 6 series? One-man death squad.

I've just finished re-watching Deadwood, it's remarkable how many actors popped up in other series later.

I lost count. But then I was too busy waiting for Ava to appear.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 17:10]
Half decent tv on 20:01 - May 31 with 4510 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I've just finished the first series of 'Bates Motel' (yeah I know I'm a bit late to the party).

I really enjoyed it and the homage to the film and American 70's dramas.

Hopefully the next three will be as good.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Half decent tv on 20:59 - May 31 with 4470 viewsMrSheen

Half decent tv on 16:23 - May 31 by GaryT

From that article...

"the government doesn’t want to harm local pharma companies, which remain one of the few successful industries in the country, contributing almost €3 billion a year to its economy"

and

"Despite the pressure on the drugmakers, doctors have still been signing off on high volumes of drugs to patients, and drugmakers say the number of prescriptions has gone through the roof. They would like the government to look into why the number of prescriptions went from 4.5 million a month in 2010 to 6.5 million a month in 2017".

Yeah, good luck with getting the government to shoot that cash cow.

Yes, but the drug companies are only so profitable because the government is paying through the nose for branded rather than generic drugs. I wonder how many of those newly prescribed drugs are re-exported to Bulgaria, Albania, etc.

It’s similar in Japan, the government pays about 90% of the costs of prescriptions so pharmacists talk their customers into asking for Japanese-made branded drugs rather than generics “to be on the safe side”, and everyone’s laughing. For now. The government essentially has to bribe pharmacists to prescribe generics.
Half decent tv on 21:19 - May 31 with 4442 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Mare of Easttown was superb to the very end. Gorgeous storytelling.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Half decent tv on 22:38 - May 31 with 4393 viewsMrSheen

Half decent tv on 17:10 - May 31 by Ghost_on_the_Westway

I lost count. But then I was too busy waiting for Ava to appear.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 17:10]

I was always more Ava than Winona. But Ellen May...great budget option.
Half decent tv on 20:03 - Jun 1 with 4268 viewsRanger_Things

Half decent tv on 12:30 - May 31 by Ghost_on_the_Westway

I think that was me.
If you haven't already then check out Snowfall. It's about the 80's LA crack epidemic fuelled by the CIA. 4 series on iPlayer, created by John Singleton. Good soundtrack too.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 20:06]
Half decent tv on 21:48 - Jun 1 with 4204 viewsEsox_Lucius

The Nevers s a good, and intriguing, drama and I recently enjoyed watching Domina.

The grass is always greener.

Half decent tv on 00:17 - Jun 2 with 4155 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Half decent tv on 21:19 - May 31 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree Brian. Excellent series.
Half decent tv on 00:21 - Jun 2 with 4151 viewshook_hoops

Half decent tv on 21:19 - May 31 by BrianMcCarthy

Best thing I've seen on TV for a long time.
Half decent tv on 00:31 - Jun 2 with 4142 viewsGaryT

Half decent tv on 12:10 - May 31 by Ranger_Things

Borat's American Lockdown on Amazon. Funny but terrifying.

Just watched it, disappointed to see that six of the episodes were only 5 minutes long once you've removed the intro/outro. Also disappointing that they only scratched the surface of the conspiracy theories as I thought SBC would have gone a little deeper. The current policy of saying "Well, this is the truth" and the other side saying "Well, I don't believe you" isn't going to achieve anything. At some point someone is going to have to sit some down and ask them in detail about what they believe and why. They will then need to be walked back down the path they came and shown where the misinformation came from and why. Waiting for people to work it out for themselves or hoping they will wake up and realise they have been lied to isn't happening because the lies are still coming.

One thing that was not mentioned in the Borat episodes was "Russian interference in the election" and I'm still waiting for someone to point a microphone at a Trumpist and ask them what they think this means? Until the wizard behind the curtain is revealed, you are going to have a hard time persuading your easily manipulated members of the public that these stories are made up because in their world "who would make up such a thing and why?". I said before the US election that it looked like they were sleepwalking out of a democracy and despite Biden's win, I haven't seen anything yet to change that view. Biden only just managed to beat a man whose flaws and criminal behaviour have been on display for all to see and now that they know lies work, they are regrouping and moving the goal posts to make sure they don't lose next time. If the conspiracies aren't exposed soon I fear the US is going to have a few difficult years ahead and may not be the superpower it currently is for much longer...but I believe that's the plan.

And now Series 4 of the Handmaid's Tale.
Half decent tv on 00:37 - Jun 2 with 4136 viewsSydneyRs

Half decent tv on 12:37 - May 31 by ozexile

Mare of easttown is excellent. Kate Winslet is incredible.

Another vote for Mare of Easttown, superb. Watched the last episode on Monday, but won't give any spoilers away. Do yourself a favour and watch this.

Winslet is absolutely outstanding, immense performance. Should win every award going.
Half decent tv on 00:40 - Jun 2 with 4128 viewsLythamR

Half decent tv on 21:48 - Jun 1 by Esox_Lucius

The Nevers s a good, and intriguing, drama and I recently enjoyed watching Domina.

I watched Domina, entertaining as an I claudius prequel. I particularly enjoyed seeing adolecent versions of Tiberius and Drussus before they inevitably turn into George Baker and Ian Ogilvy!
Half decent tv on 07:23 - Jun 2 with 4076 viewsKiwi76

Half decent tv on 00:37 - Jun 2 by SydneyRs

Another vote for Mare of Easttown, superb. Watched the last episode on Monday, but won't give any spoilers away. Do yourself a favour and watch this.

Winslet is absolutely outstanding, immense performance. Should win every award going.

Best I’ve seen recently & agree Winslet is superb - whole cast is great.
Half decent tv on 11:08 - Jun 2 with 4031 viewsTacticalR

Really enjoyed Korean drama One Spring Night (2019), an Éric Rohmer-style romance, which is on Netflix.

Air hostess clique

Half decent tv on 13:22 - Jun 2 with 3983 viewsrsonist

Half decent tv on 16:48 - May 31 by GaryT

Oh God, so that's 7 episodes of Borat, 7 episodes of The Handmaid's tale and 6 series of Justified. Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop being a couch potato!
[Post edited 31 May 2021 18:04]

I somehow managed to watch the 78 episodes of Justified twice over a period of three months when lockdown was at its deepest. No regrets though, total pleasure, same Out of Sight/Jackie Brown endlessly watchable charisma.

Quite charming how it's juuuust on the cusp between regular TV and prestige streaming stuff. First season finding its feet is quite low stakes episodic before it becomes fully serialised.

Amazing that the showrunner Graham Yost was doing that and had a hand in The Americans at the same time. Two brilliant shows in completely different ways.

Keeping everything crossed for this:
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/justified-elmore-leonard-fx-city-primeval-timot
Half decent tv on 14:14 - Jun 2 with 3955 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Half decent tv on 00:37 - Jun 2 by SydneyRs

Agree about Winslet. Superb acting. Back-up cast also damn good.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Half decent tv on 14:27 - Jun 2 with 3942 viewsMrSheen

Half decent tv on 00:40 - Jun 2 by LythamR

I watched Domina, entertaining as an I claudius prequel. I particularly enjoyed seeing adolecent versions of Tiberius and Drussus before they inevitably turn into George Baker and Ian Ogilvy!

Wasn't Patrick Stewart Sejanus (Tiberius's evil deputy) about 50 years ago?
Half decent tv on 20:47 - Jun 4 with 3804 viewsrsonist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074tdz/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-series-

Just spotted the original Tinker Tailor series is being screened/streamed again. Massive favourite for me, mentioned a bit about it vs the film here:

John le Carré gone by rrrspricey 13 Dec 2020 22:39
RIP to a great author particularly around the cold War

Half decent tv on 20:54 - Jun 4 with 3797 viewsLythamR

Half decent tv on 14:27 - Jun 2 by MrSheen

Wasn't Patrick Stewart Sejanus (Tiberius's evil deputy) about 50 years ago?

Indeed he was, George Baker would give the word and Patrick would "Make it so"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024