Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Misheard Lyrics 22:17 - Oct 5 with 13780 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've just found out this minute that one of my favourite bands The Cocteau Twins actually had full lyrics for their songs. I've been listening to them since I was found under a basket on the Nile and I always thought that bar the odd dictionary-proof phrase here and there the gorgeous voice of our Liz breathed heavenly Elfish. Or something. And I used to sing along like. In full nonsense-language!

So, admitting that I don't really listen to lyrics, am I the only one to have the Idiot-Eureka moment years down the line and finally realise that I've been mouthing or singing the wrong gibberish?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Misheard Lyrics on 14:01 - Nov 17 with 1732 viewsMaggsinho

Was listening to Band on the Run by Wings the other day and realised one of the songs was actually Mamunia and not Ammonia as I'd been cheerfully signing along to for years.
Misheard Lyrics on 14:13 - Nov 17 with 1719 viewsA40Bosh

Misheard Lyrics on 09:31 - Oct 7 by qpr1976

Some are deliberate 'doubleys', Squeeze for example, masters of the odd entendres.

Pulling Mussels From A Shell ? Or.....

"Behind the chalets,
my hokidays complete,
And I feel like William Tell,
Made Marrion, on her tip toed feet.
Pulling Muscles For Michelle" !

Good work fellas.

Yes, and another favourite that went completely over my head as a naïve child.

"I'm invited in for coffee and I give the dog a bone"
(Cool for Cats)

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Misheard Lyrics on 14:17 - Nov 17 with 1717 viewsDannyPaddox

On a similar theme remember hearing a new tune on the radio in the 90s. Full of tension, changes of tempo, head-banging moments and a sincere tone I hadn't heard in a while. Song finishes and DJ informs me of the bands's name which I hear as 'Reg Against The Machine'. What a great name I thought. Who is Reg? And what has he got against machines? My first mental image was of a nerdy white-shirted office worker kicking the fcuk out of a recalcitrant photocopier. Of course I realised the machine was the system and Reg was the everyman sworn to bring it down. For weeks I told mates about this great new band called Reg Against The Machine. Eventually someone corrected me.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2016 14:21]
Misheard Lyrics on 14:28 - Nov 17 with 1702 viewsKonk

Misheard Lyrics on 14:17 - Nov 17 by DannyPaddox

On a similar theme remember hearing a new tune on the radio in the 90s. Full of tension, changes of tempo, head-banging moments and a sincere tone I hadn't heard in a while. Song finishes and DJ informs me of the bands's name which I hear as 'Reg Against The Machine'. What a great name I thought. Who is Reg? And what has he got against machines? My first mental image was of a nerdy white-shirted office worker kicking the fcuk out of a recalcitrant photocopier. Of course I realised the machine was the system and Reg was the everyman sworn to bring it down. For weeks I told mates about this great new band called Reg Against The Machine. Eventually someone corrected me.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2016 14:21]

My Wife's best mate was round our house a few years ago and said, "Who's this Doug the Bounty Hunter, I keep hearing about?". If I was on the run and tracked down to my Mum's front room, where I was sat in my pants watching the snooker, I'd take it a lot better if it was some quiet, 60 year old bloke called Doug in floor to ceiling M&S beige, who was taking me in, rather than a ridiculous 60 year leather clad bloke with a highlighted mullet, dic khead shades and the silly name, "Dog".
[Post edited 17 Nov 2016 14:30]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Misheard Lyrics on 14:40 - Nov 17 with 1684 viewsDannyPaddox

Misheard Lyrics on 14:28 - Nov 17 by Konk

My Wife's best mate was round our house a few years ago and said, "Who's this Doug the Bounty Hunter, I keep hearing about?". If I was on the run and tracked down to my Mum's front room, where I was sat in my pants watching the snooker, I'd take it a lot better if it was some quiet, 60 year old bloke called Doug in floor to ceiling M&S beige, who was taking me in, rather than a ridiculous 60 year leather clad bloke with a highlighted mullet, dic khead shades and the silly name, "Dog".
[Post edited 17 Nov 2016 14:30]

A celebrity walks into the pub my Mum used to drink when she lived in London. Mum tells the South American barmaid to go upstairs and tell the landlord that so and so is at the bar. The landlord doesn't appear.

A few days later Mum goes into the pub and the landlord says. "That was a wierd message I got from you the other day. Who's Ray The Otter anyway?" It was Ray Liotta.
Misheard Lyrics on 14:55 - Nov 17 with 1705 viewsKonk

Misheard Lyrics on 14:40 - Nov 17 by DannyPaddox

A celebrity walks into the pub my Mum used to drink when she lived in London. Mum tells the South American barmaid to go upstairs and tell the landlord that so and so is at the bar. The landlord doesn't appear.

A few days later Mum goes into the pub and the landlord says. "That was a wierd message I got from you the other day. Who's Ray The Otter anyway?" It was Ray Liotta.

Brilliant - he sounds like some sort of local villain.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Misheard Lyrics on 13:35 - Nov 18 with 1599 viewsJacksDad

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping

Apparently these are the correct words and not

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Comb your ar5e while you are sleeping

Who'd a thunked it!
Misheard Lyrics on 12:22 - Dec 1 with 1537 viewsJuzzie

Another Dexy's one. In the song "One Of Those Things" the (sort of) chorus repeats the words “Sounded the same”.

To me it was "Saddam Hussein".

1:07 in

Login to get fewer ads

Misheard Lyrics on 12:29 - May 4 with 777 viewsenfieldargh

Not sure if this song has already been mentioned on this thread but robert Elms just played And The Beat Goes On by The Whispers.

I always thought the line

Just like fishing in the ocean

was actually

Just like pissing in the Ocean

Yes I know its not obvious but back in the day when I was going down Tudors in Harrow/ Bailys Watford I hated this type of music and only went there on the pull.

Now love soul music but at the time it was a style of music to be ashamed of to admit listening to.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Misheard Lyrics on 12:39 - May 4 with 760 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Misheard Lyrics on 09:52 - Oct 6 by bob566

nirvanas "smells like teen spirit" at the end sounds like he's shouting the author Roddy Doyles name out loud.

It is in fact "a denial" but I always thought it was roddy doyle.

Growing up I always thought Cobain was saying 'Ladim jaja' (pronounced yaya) which means chilling your bollox in serbo-croat because of course the bassist Kris Novoselic is from a Croat family. Actually prefer this to the true lyric 'A denial'
Misheard Lyrics on 23:24 - Jul 29 with 545 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1:05 "Oh, Saddam Hussein"
Why?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Misheard Lyrics on 10:38 - Jul 30 with 447 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Misheard Lyrics on 23:24 - Jul 29 by BrianMcCarthy

1:05 "Oh, Saddam Hussein"
Why?

How about your own improvements to a lyric?
For example, “To cut a long story short, I shat my pants”. I always felt this conveyed the emotions young Tony is trying to project in the song a lot better, particularly at the songs climax - “I shat my ………PAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSS”.
Well that’s what we used to sing to it anyway.
Misheard Lyrics on 17:04 - Jul 30 with 354 viewssoops

Misheard Lyrics on 22:40 - Oct 5 by MrSheen

To be fair, "Makes the earth toss and tumble, Sugar Hiccup", the correct version, doesn't make any more sense than "makes the egg-timer tumble", which is what I always took it to be.

I always thought "but it was Four Tops all night" in White Man in Hammersmith Palais was "but it was f*cked up all night".
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 22:44]

Bit late responding to this..... yes it was the four tops lyric - Joe and Paul went to the Palais on a night where the crowd was all black (apart from them) and they were appalled at the lack of punk equivalent attitude/music - people were listening to just really safe bland stuff
Misheard Lyrics on 21:52 - Jul 30 with 313 viewsW12Mikey

Misheard Lyrics on 18:46 - Oct 6 by terryb

I still maintain that Hot Chocolate sang " I believe in Milko".

Not quite sure what that had to do with a sexy thing though!

My wife is convinced it’s “I believe in Malcolm”. She has never explained who Malcolm is
Misheard Lyrics on 22:45 - Jul 30 with 295 viewsdanehoop

Try this little gem. Absolutely loved this when it came out but had no idea what the hell he was singing for years.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024