Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Give Washington a chance! 10:18 - Jan 26 with 3291 viewsconnell10

So says Ollie and I totally agree! We can be a real spiteful crowd sometimes.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2017 10:19]

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Give Washington a chance! on 10:25 - Jan 26 with 2932 viewsrsonist

He could try giving him a proper chance himself...
Give Washington a chance! on 10:29 - Jan 26 with 2913 viewsaston_hoop

I would suggest to Holloway that if he wants us to give him a chance, he has to make the first move by giving Washington a chance as part of an attacking 2, not as a lone striker where he is completely unable to play.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Give Washington a chance! on 10:29 - Jan 26 with 2909 viewsstevec

Given one goal in about 30 appearances I reckon he's had a pretty reasonable reception.
Give Washington a chance! on 10:43 - Jan 26 with 2856 viewsrsonist

It is true about Gladwin to an extent, though he's never once played well for us there has been a weird intense spite there towards him.

It's obviously bad and wrong and completely unhelpful but... to be honest... there is just something kind of dislikeable about him isn't there. Maybe it's the hair.
Give Washington a chance! on 10:48 - Jan 26 with 2834 viewsrsonist

Very true.
Give Washington a chance! on 10:51 - Jan 26 with 2808 viewsWestbourneR

Give Washington a chance! on 10:48 - Jan 26 by rsonist

Very true.

I think Washington has had a huge amount of chances and been treated very well by the crowd.

They're players we're bombing out who've never really had a go.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Give Washington a chance! on 11:10 - Jan 26 with 2740 viewsPinnerPaul

Give Washington a chance! on 10:48 - Jan 26 by rsonist

Very true.

So we've only started abusing players since IH arrived?!

What nonsense, JFH was "calm" , but that didn't stop the crowd booing Karl Henry BEFORE he came on or wanting him sent off in another game.
Give Washington a chance! on 11:22 - Jan 26 with 2675 viewsBklynRanger

Give Washington a chance! on 10:29 - Jan 26 by aston_hoop

I would suggest to Holloway that if he wants us to give him a chance, he has to make the first move by giving Washington a chance as part of an attacking 2, not as a lone striker where he is completely unable to play.

In our team in our league I'd agree with that.

He's played up front on his own for Norn Iron and worked his arse off very effectively, but that was in difficult games where a point was a good result. He doesn't have the luxury of hat with us I don't think and needs to be in a two.
Login to get fewer ads

Give Washington a chance! on 11:23 - Jan 26 with 2669 viewsRBlock

What's the old adage, "If you judge a fish on its ability to climb trees, it will spend its ability to climb trees, it will spend its whole life thinking it is stupid"?. If you judge Connor Washington on his ability to play a lone striker in a team that pumps balls at an area about 2ft above his head, then you are stupid. Maybe Washington will never work out for us, and maybe he just isn't up to this level, but we have barely given the lad a half chance yet, definitely not enough to come to any sort of conclusion on whether he is any good or not.
Give Washington a chance! on 11:24 - Jan 26 with 2665 viewsichbinnaughty

I can't agree with this.

We need to drive him into the middle of some woods and machine-gun him to death.
Give Washington a chance! on 11:29 - Jan 26 with 2651 viewsMonkey

Eh? Can't recall Washington being given a hard time at games (by the fans) - been very supportive considering his impact on games,
Give Washington a chance! on 11:37 - Jan 26 with 2624 viewssmegma

Give Washington a chance! on 10:29 - Jan 26 by aston_hoop

Is the correct answer.
Give Washington a chance! on 11:40 - Jan 26 with 2609 viewsDorse

'Holloway said: “If you had a teacher who screamed at you ‘you’re crap, you’re rubbish, you’re crap, you’re rubbish’ could you actually achieve anything? I don’t think so.'

That must have been where I was going wrong. Why didn't anyone tell me?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Give Washington a chance! on 11:48 - Jan 26 with 2581 viewsBklynRanger

Give Washington a chance! on 11:40 - Jan 26 by Dorse

'Holloway said: “If you had a teacher who screamed at you ‘you’re crap, you’re rubbish, you’re crap, you’re rubbish’ could you actually achieve anything? I don’t think so.'

Because you were legitimately crap and not insubstantiality rubbish?...
Give Washington a chance! on 11:55 - Jan 26 with 2547 viewskensalriser

I thought Wash and Ariel would clean up, but instead they faded.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Give Washington a chance! on 11:59 - Jan 26 with 2537 viewsstevec

Give Washington a chance! on 11:40 - Jan 26 by Dorse

You weren't my teacher, were you?

Incidentally, is that what Holloway said? Bet that's made Washington feel a thousand times better.
Give Washington a chance! on 12:13 - Jan 26 with 2495 viewsHunterhoop

There's a few separate issues here.

Firstly, I think the crowd have been very generous to Washington. He's scored 1 in 30 odd as a forward. Yes, we haven't played to his strengths, but he's had chances and shots....more than enough to have scored 1 in 30. The bloke in front of me in the Loft thinks he's one of our best players and should start every week! Lord knows why or where! But, I do think the crowd have and continue to give him a chance and want him to succeed.

Secondly, no, we don't play to his strengths. He clearly can't play the central lone, hold up man, forward role. His control is not good enough, and, for all the beach weights he's clearly into, he doesn't use his body well enough and his too easily beaten physically

Thirdly, he has had lots of chances out wide in the front 3 of a 4-3-3. Problem is, I don't think he's done a good job here either. Positionally, I don't think he knows the position. Look at how much better we are with Wszolek and Mackie occupying these births. I think Shodipo is better here too.

So, if he's to get a fair chance, it needs to be in a 2 up front. I think he could be a success here. His movement up top is decent and with a physical lump to play off, I think he'd get goals. Problem is, we're not playing a system with 2 up front often (although Fulham at home was arguably 5-3-2, with Mackie up top with Sylla). And we only have one target man at the club to play off.

So, how often are we likely to be able to play him in a position to give him a fair chance?

The problem is with Holloway, not the crowd. I don't think there's an obvious answer.
Give Washington a chance! on 12:38 - Jan 26 with 2427 viewsYorkRanger

Give Washington a chance! on 12:13 - Jan 26 by Hunterhoop

There's a few separate issues here.

Firstly, I think the crowd have been very generous to Washington. He's scored 1 in 30 odd as a forward. Yes, we haven't played to his strengths, but he's had chances and shots....more than enough to have scored 1 in 30. The bloke in front of me in the Loft thinks he's one of our best players and should start every week! Lord knows why or where! But, I do think the crowd have and continue to give him a chance and want him to succeed.

Secondly, no, we don't play to his strengths. He clearly can't play the central lone, hold up man, forward role. His control is not good enough, and, for all the beach weights he's clearly into, he doesn't use his body well enough and his too easily beaten physically

Thirdly, he has had lots of chances out wide in the front 3 of a 4-3-3. Problem is, I don't think he's done a good job here either. Positionally, I don't think he knows the position. Look at how much better we are with Wszolek and Mackie occupying these births. I think Shodipo is better here too.

So, if he's to get a fair chance, it needs to be in a 2 up front. I think he could be a success here. His movement up top is decent and with a physical lump to play off, I think he'd get goals. Problem is, we're not playing a system with 2 up front often (although Fulham at home was arguably 5-3-2, with Mackie up top with Sylla). And we only have one target man at the club to play off.

So, how often are we likely to be able to play him in a position to give him a fair chance?

The problem is with Holloway, not the crowd. I don't think there's an obvious answer.

This is a sensible post. Personally I wouldnt be discarding CW just yet and I dont believe we have seen the best of him or necessarily given him the best chance to shine.

The one thing that is clear is nobody could criticise his application or work effort.
Give Washington a chance! on 12:43 - Jan 26 with 2407 viewsHarbour

Works hard makes opportunities for himself and others. As everyone else has mentioned on as lone striker forget it. One issue I have with him is his finishing he really should have scored more given the chances he has had.given that I like Washington but struggling to see him fitting in at present
Give Washington a chance! on 13:00 - Jan 26 with 2326 viewsDorse

I think Washington has a similar approach to games to Jamie Mackie. He seems to have a great attitude and will play wherever he gets picked. Most of the posts have already made the point about playing him in a two and I think we'd see far more of him if we did select a partnership up front.

I'd really like to see him ratting around second balls on the edge of the D rather than drifting in from wide. He looks built for that sort of role.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Give Washington a chance! on 13:01 - Jan 26 with 2321 viewsAntti_Heinola

Actually, he might fit in the formation we ended up with v Fulham, which was overloaded down the right in a kind of 5-3-2. It would mean him replacing Mackie, or using Mackie as a makeshift target man, but he could play there!

Bare bones.

Give Washington a chance! on 13:08 - Jan 26 with 2294 viewsfrancisbowles

Give Washington a chance! on 12:43 - Jan 26 by Harbour

Works hard makes opportunities for himself and others. As everyone else has mentioned on as lone striker forget it. One issue I have with him is his finishing he really should have scored more given the chances he has had.given that I like Washington but struggling to see him fitting in at present

I like him, he is a good hard working pro but things are getting on top of him.

I can't really work out why we bought him. We have only really played with one up top for many years, through many managers. Even Charlie wasn't great at it, usually looking more comfortable when BZ was on the pitch. At least Charlie was taller and stronger and scored goals regularly, albeit he did have the advantage of pens and BZ for some of them.

If we are going to use him in a 2 up front then it's 442, which I can't see, or 352 which gives us a problem with what to do with either the wingers or the full backs, as I don't think you can accommodate both.

My conclusion, is that we try and loan him out to see if he can start scoring and become more marketable, with a view to getting as much as possible for him in the summer.
Give Washington a chance! on 13:13 - Jan 26 with 2269 viewsHunterhoop

Give Washington a chance! on 13:01 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

Actually, he might fit in the formation we ended up with v Fulham, which was overloaded down the right in a kind of 5-3-2. It would mean him replacing Mackie, or using Mackie as a makeshift target man, but he could play there!

Yes, that's the point I was making.

But the 532 shape we had against Fulham didn't draw out the best in Wszolek (probably our best player), and was built to absorb pressure, press, and then counter quickly. It wasn't designed to break teams down who sit back on us or maintain possession, both of which we'll need to do against Burton.

I still think width is the solution, which, if played wide, Wszolek offers us on the right. Mackie, Lua Lua, Shodipo, can offer it on the other flank, with both supporting the forward (Sylla or AN OTHER). Then you can have Luongo and Manning harrying and pressing and breaking into the box, and someone like Hall sitting behind them, in front of the back 4.

So, on rare occasions we might play a system to suit Washington, but he'll have to play instead of Mackie or with him (if Sylla/AN OTHER target man is unavailable), but I don't think 532 is the long term formation for us, especially against teams who are worse than us and sit back.
Give Washington a chance! on 13:57 - Jan 26 with 2122 viewsNW10Hoop

Not mad on the term "playing to his strengths ". It's kind of down to him to force his way into the team, and have an impact wherever he plays.

I've never given him a hard time and he's had far more of a grace period than some others, but if he can only play in a front 2 then he's pretty screwed.
Give Washington a chance! on 14:25 - Jan 26 with 2042 viewsessextaxiboy

Had a full and frank conversation with some family members a couple of weeks ago about the Washington critiscism.

Basically I asked two questions

1 Do you think he is not trying and giving his all ? ......Well no ..

2 How do think coating him off will improve him ? ......But he isnt playing well ..

Back to Q1 .

He may not be good enough , in which case he will be allowed to go in time ..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024