Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clint hill 23:05 - Aug 7 with 5814 viewswombat

Having a trial at chesterfield this week , must be space for him at the club player coach roll

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Clint hill on 23:13 - Aug 7 with 4771 viewsaston_hoop

He must just really love the game. fair play to him, hope he comes back in some capacity somehow someday

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Clint hill on 03:01 - Aug 8 with 4674 viewsmarkrtid

I think Clint Hill was and still is a class profesional football player and more.
For whatever reason I don't know. He should be Warnocks right hand man by now. Maybe he's too stuborn and wants to keep playing?

In my own bombastric view, we have only had two Managers since Francis who actulluy truly had/have a longterm future veiw for QPR .

Warnock's plan was to invole Clint Hill longterm. Our Loss.

What am I on about?

I don't f'kin know but if I were someone near to Neil Warnock, I would be asking him why hasn't he .....well you know the rest.
Clint hill on 08:06 - Aug 8 with 4501 viewsWokingR

Surpised he hasn't been offered anything at Cambridge by Lord Derry
Clint hill on 09:01 - Aug 8 with 4415 viewspaulparker

Clint hill on 23:13 - Aug 7 by aston_hoop

He must just really love the game. fair play to him, hope he comes back in some capacity somehow someday

Yeah fair play to him , shows up the likes of Gerrard, Carragher , Neville, Lampard & co for not jacking it or p1ssing off to LA because he cant be arsed to play for the likes of chesterfield etc because he has a few bob
he is willing to uproot his family to play the game and keep playing the game because he loves it , what a tremendous attitude , he is a dying breed of footballer a bit like stuart pearce in many ways that he looks after himself and conducts himself in a professional manner I bet there are some Glasgow rangers fans who with he was still there this season
id have him coaching the kids at QPR , could you imagine him and the respect he would command from our youngsters

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Clint hill on 09:41 - Aug 8 with 4306 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Clint hill on 09:01 - Aug 8 by paulparker

Yeah fair play to him , shows up the likes of Gerrard, Carragher , Neville, Lampard & co for not jacking it or p1ssing off to LA because he cant be arsed to play for the likes of chesterfield etc because he has a few bob
he is willing to uproot his family to play the game and keep playing the game because he loves it , what a tremendous attitude , he is a dying breed of footballer a bit like stuart pearce in many ways that he looks after himself and conducts himself in a professional manner I bet there are some Glasgow rangers fans who with he was still there this season
id have him coaching the kids at QPR , could you imagine him and the respect he would command from our youngsters

Chesterfield or Los Angeles?

I've always felt the latter a tad overrated, but it would probably pip Chesterfield for a lad who'd never left Liverpool.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Clint hill on 10:16 - Aug 8 with 4253 viewsLunarJetman

Clint hill on 08:06 - Aug 8 by WokingR

Surpised he hasn't been offered anything at Cambridge by Lord Derry

I imagine budgets are a lot tighter the further you go down the leagues so its harder for managers to "find" jobs for their mates...
Clint hill on 10:20 - Aug 8 with 4242 viewstraininvain

In all fairness, I doubt Hill's been offered the same opportunities as the likes of Gerrard, Carragher, Neville etc!!
Clint hill on 10:49 - Aug 8 with 4191 viewsAntti_Heinola

Getting a bit misty-eyed there, mate and very unfair on those players. Not sure who you are to judge where a player should or shouldn't end his career or why it's somehow noble to play for Chesterfield and somehow wrong to quit at the top.
Neville quit after he felt embarrassed in a game v WBA because he knew his body couldn't take it anymore. That took guts to call it a day there. Carragher quit on a high, with the team he played for all his life. Good on him. Why shouldn't anyone experience playing in America in nice weather and a different culture?

I love Clint, one of my all time favourite players, but I very much doubt he shares your odd views there.

Stuart Pearce did loads of to show the fans how much he cared. Little Keith Gillespie called him out on it once at an open training session at Newcastle and he soon shut up. Sorry, but he's not half the man Clint is. Clint celebrated goals like a proper player, not just putting a stupid stony face on every time to play up to his stupid 'psycho' image. Totally joyless man. Used to love him (Pearce), but I've read his book lately and read the views of a dozen or so other players since and gone right off him. Controversial, I know, but them's me views.

Totally agree about having Clint at QPR - would love him back as a coach. If he's a good coach. But for now, he clearly wants to keep playing, as his prerogative.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Clint hill on 11:55 - Aug 8 with 4110 viewspaulparker

Clint hill on 10:20 - Aug 8 by traininvain

In all fairness, I doubt Hill's been offered the same opportunities as the likes of Gerrard, Carragher, Neville etc!!

in days gone by 1st division players who would reach a certain age would drop down to a bury, Rochdale, Wrexham etc etc , you would see them in the fa cup 3rd round as a feature of the 3rd round on football focus , clive walker carried on playing for Woking way into his forties , loads of players have done it and gone down the leagues
are you telling me that Neville wasn't good enough for Bury or that Carragher couldn't of had a couple of seasons at tranmere
they don't have to because they are loaded , money motivated them as well as ego
joe cole went down to Coventry and he didn't need to do it , he was a millionaire but wanted to play on for the love of the game not so he could retire at 33 and go and talk bollox in a studio
have a look at Hogan Ephriam earned a very decent wack at Rangers but then didn't want go and play for say a Rochdale in league 2 he could sit on his backside and has done for the last 2 years , why isn't he playing for someone ? he was waiting for a cushy number in the states , surely you play for the love of the game and play as long as you can , there is so much football snobbery in todays game
fair play to Hill

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Clint hill on 13:29 - Aug 8 with 3950 viewsTacticalR

I hope he gets a job in football as he's a football man.

I can see him as a craftsman/coach teaching defence and communicating his enthusiasm to young players.

Air hostess clique

Clint hill on 13:42 - Aug 8 with 3908 viewsrobith

Find it strange it seems to be unquestioned logic that

a) Clint is/will be a good coach despite having done no/little coaching
b) it's baffling that everyone Clint has ever met hasn't given him a job yet
Clint hill on 13:44 - Aug 8 with 3905 viewsTacticalR

Clint hill on 13:42 - Aug 8 by robith

Find it strange it seems to be unquestioned logic that

a) Clint is/will be a good coach despite having done no/little coaching
b) it's baffling that everyone Clint has ever met hasn't given him a job yet

Can we at least agree that he is a jolly good fellow?

Air hostess clique

Clint hill on 13:45 - Aug 8 with 3905 viewsMedwayR

Clint hill on 11:55 - Aug 8 by paulparker

in days gone by 1st division players who would reach a certain age would drop down to a bury, Rochdale, Wrexham etc etc , you would see them in the fa cup 3rd round as a feature of the 3rd round on football focus , clive walker carried on playing for Woking way into his forties , loads of players have done it and gone down the leagues
are you telling me that Neville wasn't good enough for Bury or that Carragher couldn't of had a couple of seasons at tranmere
they don't have to because they are loaded , money motivated them as well as ego
joe cole went down to Coventry and he didn't need to do it , he was a millionaire but wanted to play on for the love of the game not so he could retire at 33 and go and talk bollox in a studio
have a look at Hogan Ephriam earned a very decent wack at Rangers but then didn't want go and play for say a Rochdale in league 2 he could sit on his backside and has done for the last 2 years , why isn't he playing for someone ? he was waiting for a cushy number in the states , surely you play for the love of the game and play as long as you can , there is so much football snobbery in todays game
fair play to Hill

The other side to this is how much lower league and young players (including those on loan at lower league clubs from prem clubs) could learn from the likes of Gerrard, Neville etc. It's a shame that their experience & knowledge isn't shared throughout our game at the lower levels.

Poll: Who’s better?

Clint hill on 13:59 - Aug 8 with 3876 viewsQPR_Jim

fair play to Hill

I love Clint Hill as much as the next man, would love to see him coaching here, but if he's not ready to quit playing I guess there's not much anyone can do to persuade him otherwise.

PP, did players in days gone by drop down the divisions because they needed to financially or for the love of the game? They were paid less, could go on to coach or manage and get paid less still and had less opportunities in the media after retirement, remember some retired footballers had to get normal jobs after retiring to make ends meet, so I'm not sure they continued for the love of the game although it must have been a bonus.
Clint hill on 14:02 - Aug 8 with 3872 viewsAntti_Heinola

fair play to Hill

Bit contradictory there mate? Money motivated the more recent stars, so they didn't play, but the ones who earned less kept playing for the love of the game - not because they still needed to earn because salaries were lower then? I'm not really sure what your point is. Is it that players loved the game more back then? Or that they were paid less so they HAD to play, regardless of whether they wanted to and that was a good thing?
Sorry, but Clive Walker was not exactly in the league of Gerrard, Carra, Neville etc, was he? I loved that he played on, just like Furs did. But that's their choice, isn't it? Best went down the leagues and it was just sad. Are you seriously saying that if a player would prefer to retire at the top that's a bad thing? Or that he somehow loves the game less than someone who keeps playing?
And Joe Cole is a poor example - 22 games for Cov, on loan in Oct, signing in Jan, leaving in May for... horror of horrors according to you... the States! Was it love of the game or love of cash that took him there?
Always makes me laugh how you project your own opinions on footballers, making broad assumptions based on your own prejudices.
and while there is of course tons of bollox spoken on tv and radio by ex-players, if you can't see how hard Carragher and Neville have worked at their jobs you really have no clue at all. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they say, or that sometimes they might be banal or dull, but doing what they do is a skill in itself. Broadcasting, despite what most people think, is not easy.
And absolutely fair play to Hill - I completely agree with you there. But his decisions are no more right or wrong than any other player's decision on when to retire.
'Surely you play for the love of the game' - yes, but you assume everyone is the same. Neville had lots of injuries late in his career - why should he play at any level if he feels he won't do himself justice? This is a guy who lived for football from when he was a boy. Who worked his ass off, who was nicknamed Busy Boll0cks at Man U when he was in the youths because he spent lunch times kicking a ball against a wall to improve his touch. He got where he was because of his love of the game and his extreme dedication. Not to mention his investment in grass roots football at Salford. And you have a go at him for not playing for Bury for a couple of years?
I dunno paul, sometimes your mean-spiritedness and weird inability to see things through anyone else's eyes depresses me.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2017 14:03]

Bare bones.

Clint hill on 15:03 - Aug 8 with 3752 viewspaulparker

Clint hill on 14:02 - Aug 8 by Antti_Heinola

Bit contradictory there mate? Money motivated the more recent stars, so they didn't play, but the ones who earned less kept playing for the love of the game - not because they still needed to earn because salaries were lower then? I'm not really sure what your point is. Is it that players loved the game more back then? Or that they were paid less so they HAD to play, regardless of whether they wanted to and that was a good thing?
Sorry, but Clive Walker was not exactly in the league of Gerrard, Carra, Neville etc, was he? I loved that he played on, just like Furs did. But that's their choice, isn't it? Best went down the leagues and it was just sad. Are you seriously saying that if a player would prefer to retire at the top that's a bad thing? Or that he somehow loves the game less than someone who keeps playing?
And Joe Cole is a poor example - 22 games for Cov, on loan in Oct, signing in Jan, leaving in May for... horror of horrors according to you... the States! Was it love of the game or love of cash that took him there?
Always makes me laugh how you project your own opinions on footballers, making broad assumptions based on your own prejudices.
and while there is of course tons of bollox spoken on tv and radio by ex-players, if you can't see how hard Carragher and Neville have worked at their jobs you really have no clue at all. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they say, or that sometimes they might be banal or dull, but doing what they do is a skill in itself. Broadcasting, despite what most people think, is not easy.
And absolutely fair play to Hill - I completely agree with you there. But his decisions are no more right or wrong than any other player's decision on when to retire.
'Surely you play for the love of the game' - yes, but you assume everyone is the same. Neville had lots of injuries late in his career - why should he play at any level if he feels he won't do himself justice? This is a guy who lived for football from when he was a boy. Who worked his ass off, who was nicknamed Busy Boll0cks at Man U when he was in the youths because he spent lunch times kicking a ball against a wall to improve his touch. He got where he was because of his love of the game and his extreme dedication. Not to mention his investment in grass roots football at Salford. And you have a go at him for not playing for Bury for a couple of years?
I dunno paul, sometimes your mean-spiritedness and weird inability to see things through anyone else's eyes depresses me.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2017 14:03]

Don't be depressed Antti for gawds sake

ok Neville maybe a bad example at least he did some coaching for England and put himself forward for a job with Valencia
Carragher though quit England early then came back for a world cup and then left the game at a relatively early age , why not play for tranmere he could have played for £200 pound a week , same as Gerrard he took the easy way out and went to LA for more money , same as Lampard , why not go down the leagues , why not help the youngsters or the fans of the clubs lower down , go out and play for as long as you can , increase the gates of these clubs are you telling me that a club like Northampton wouldn't of benefited from Gerrard playing for them , or go and be a player manager ( yes they existed) at MK dons
not this rubbish about not playing for anyone but Liverpool or Chelsea , its a load of old bollox , its about money pure and simple , where is Gerrard now oh yeah the cushy job at Liverpool academy or the BT studio
as for joe cole he wasn't getting a game at villa so went to Coventry , he was finished as his injuries had caught up but fair paly to him for going down 2 leagues , him playing for Coventry raised the profile of the club , it put extra bums on seats and gave the young lads a bit of a boost , that's a proper player right there he wasn't worried about the "football snobbery" of slumming it
the days of a player making 800 appearances or more are well and truly dead
that's why I doff my cap to Hill he isn't short of a few bob but uprooted his family to go to Scotland to carry on playing him and players of his ilk deserve what they get

Clint hill on 15:05 - Aug 8 with 3742 viewsrobith

Clint hill on 13:44 - Aug 8 by TacticalR

Can we at least agree that he is a jolly good fellow?

Which nobody can deny!
Clint hill on 15:20 - Aug 8 with 3706 viewsAntti_Heinola

Clint hill on 15:03 - Aug 8 by paulparker

ok Neville maybe a bad example at least he did some coaching for England and put himself forward for a job with Valencia
Carragher though quit England early then came back for a world cup and then left the game at a relatively early age , why not play for tranmere he could have played for £200 pound a week , same as Gerrard he took the easy way out and went to LA for more money , same as Lampard , why not go down the leagues , why not help the youngsters or the fans of the clubs lower down , go out and play for as long as you can , increase the gates of these clubs are you telling me that a club like Northampton wouldn't of benefited from Gerrard playing for them , or go and be a player manager ( yes they existed) at MK dons
not this rubbish about not playing for anyone but Liverpool or Chelsea , its a load of old bollox , its about money pure and simple , where is Gerrard now oh yeah the cushy job at Liverpool academy or the BT studio
as for joe cole he wasn't getting a game at villa so went to Coventry , he was finished as his injuries had caught up but fair paly to him for going down 2 leagues , him playing for Coventry raised the profile of the club , it put extra bums on seats and gave the young lads a bit of a boost , that's a proper player right there he wasn't worried about the "football snobbery" of slumming it
that's why I doff my cap to Hill he isn't short of a few bob but uprooted his family to go to Scotland to carry on playing him and players of his ilk deserve what they get

OK mate.

Bare bones.

Clint hill on 15:37 - Aug 8 with 3678 viewsJigsore

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Clint hill on 18:10 - Aug 8 with 3554 viewsNW5Hoop

Clint hill on 15:03 - Aug 8 by paulparker

Every player should end their career how and where they want. If they want to drift down the leagues (which wasn't as everyday as is being made out on this thread), fine. If they want to retire at the top, fine. It's their choice, and whatever choice they make says nothing about their personality. If you simply do not want to play football any more - because your body aches, your pace has gone, you can't keep it up - why the hell should you have to go to Halifax or somewhere just to prove you love football to some people who aren't even fans of the club you played for?

Also, I can tell you one reason very good players don't like dropping down leagues: they look rubbish when they do. I interviewed Peter Beardsley when he was at Hartlepool, and he was saying how it was embarrassing for him. He was used to playing with teammates good enough to read and understand his intentions, and to know the best positions to take up. At Hartlepool, they weren't good enough. So Beardsley would collect the ball, see where the space to attack was, and pass the ball into that space. Only to find no one running into it. He said that half his passes looked like he was just booting the ball away, because no one else was good enough to see the opportunities in space. He dropped down because he loved playing football. He lasted 24 games at Hartlepool, and it wasn't because he was shot. I watched him in training, and he ran rings round everyone else. When he had to play with them it all went wrong.
Clint hill on 20:38 - Aug 8 with 3409 viewsTacticalR

Talking of dropping down the leagues, this is from Crace's biography of Redknapp:

'Bobby Moore was the first to offer Redknapp a helping hand by taking him on as his assistant at non-league Oxford City where the former England captain had been appointed manager...Pete Johnson believes that if you want to understand Redknapp's managerial career, Moore's greatest legacy to Redknapp is probably to be found elsewhere in a gift he almost certainly had no idea he was giving.

'Harry had Bobby on a pedestal,' he says. 'And though he was thrilled to be offered the job at Oxford, he told me he was shocked at how far Bobby had fallen. It had never occurred to him that a World Cup-winning captain and football legend could end up managing a non-league side, playing against opponents who openly disrespected his reputation in front of just a few hundred spectators.

'It was a real wake-up call for Harry. If it could happen to Bobby, it could happen to anyone. And from that point on, I think Harry was determined that he wasn't going to end up as one of the vast number of bitter, ex-footballers who had been spat out and left broke and broken by the game. He was going to keep his wits about him and not let anyone take advantage of him. From then on, whatever career he could make in football was going to be on his own terms as far as possible. And he certainly wasn't going to end up penniless.''

Air hostess clique

Clint hill on 22:04 - Aug 8 with 3362 viewsqpr1976

Surely to Coach at Championship level, he would at least need to have taken & passed a few coaching badges. I'd love him back but should we really dismiss qualifications over heartfelt wishes ?
Clint hill on 22:09 - Aug 8 with 3346 viewsPunteR

Clint hill on 22:04 - Aug 8 by qpr1976

Surely to Coach at Championship level, he would at least need to have taken & passed a few coaching badges. I'd love him back but should we really dismiss qualifications over heartfelt wishes ?

I thought he got his badges ? i could be wrong.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Clint hill on 02:32 - Aug 9 with 3257 viewsFredManRave

Clint hill on 15:20 - Aug 8 by Antti_Heinola

OK mate.

Looks like the Antti-depressants have kicked in.

But seriously, going back to your initial post; "Carra". "Carra!". I'm surprised you didn't chuck in a Stevie G to push us over the edge.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Clint hill on 10:06 - Aug 9 with 3076 viewsAntti_Heinola

Clint hill on 02:32 - Aug 9 by FredManRave

Looks like the Antti-depressants have kicked in.

But seriously, going back to your initial post; "Carra". "Carra!". I'm surprised you didn't chuck in a Stevie G to push us over the edge.

ha ha - just couldn't be bothered to write his full name. strange i know, seeing as i wasted so much time arguing a stupid point ;)

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024