Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Easter tear up - History 07:48 - Oct 26 with 4145 viewsNorthernr

Anyone remember this one?

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46814
Easter tear up - History on 08:26 - Oct 26 with 3461 viewsMrSheen

I think that was the last game Mrs Sheen ever attended. That Wolves team were enormous. Don Goodman was one of the most committed players I ever saw, a big lad but never stopped running.
Easter tear up - History on 08:37 - Oct 26 with 3443 viewsparker64

Unless it was a different game the only thing I recall from this game is Keith Curle taking that penalty and milking it afterwards! I think he just stood still, right in front of the Loft with his hand in the air. He knew he wasn't going to miss.
Easter tear up - History on 08:39 - Oct 26 with 3437 viewsTheChef

"For half an hour QPR were absolutely magnificent in the blazing London sunshine."

Yep we were brilliant, just a shame we couldn't keep it going for the majority of the match!

That 96-97 season gets kind of forgotten, we didn't do so badly and in the end we finished ninth and were not that far off the play offs. But for Gallen's injury and winning a couple more games, I think we could have made it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996%E2%80%9397_Football_League#Final_league_table

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Easter tear up - History on 10:08 - Oct 26 with 3359 viewsCamberleyR

Easter tear up - History on 08:39 - Oct 26 by TheChef

"For half an hour QPR were absolutely magnificent in the blazing London sunshine."

Yep we were brilliant, just a shame we couldn't keep it going for the majority of the match!

That 96-97 season gets kind of forgotten, we didn't do so badly and in the end we finished ninth and were not that far off the play offs. But for Gallen's injury and winning a couple more games, I think we could have made it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996%E2%80%9397_Football_League#Final_league_table

Buying John Spencer two months earlier when they knew Gallen was out for the season rather than persisting with the likes of the hapless Steve Slade (and to paraphrase Danny Baker, never has a player had less hap) and we'd have been promoted that season IMO.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Easter tear up - History on 10:37 - Oct 26 with 3316 viewseastside_r

Easter tear up - History on 10:08 - Oct 26 by CamberleyR

Buying John Spencer two months earlier when they knew Gallen was out for the season rather than persisting with the likes of the hapless Steve Slade (and to paraphrase Danny Baker, never has a player had less hap) and we'd have been promoted that season IMO.

Possibly, but I still think Houston was a crap manager. The power dynamic between him and Rioch was confirmed to me.

I happened to overhear a conversation in a pub in Ilford where it soon became apparent that who I was listening to was one of our players. He spouted forth in some detail that it was Rioch who ran all the training sessions and was considered by all the players to be the main man.

When I checked to see who was speaking, it was none other than (the similarly hapless?) Matthew Brazier who is also an east London boy.
Easter tear up - History on 10:40 - Oct 26 with 3314 viewsNorthernr

Another example of astute, successful businessmen (in this case Blackburn and Wright) doing things with a football club that they'd never, ever, ever allow to happen with their other companies.
Easter tear up - History on 11:31 - Oct 26 with 3254 viewspaulparker

what a strange season that was

awful displays at home to Port vale, and away to Grimsby & Bradford , Wilkins being sacked despite picking up 7 points from 3 games , gallen getting crocked , the double signing of spencer & peacock , the 4-4 game, the Sinclair over head kick and the lob from the halfway line against city , Hateleys ear cupping in the cup , Houston & rioch upsetting the dressing room , a scorching volley from Dichio at Wolves
beating the "Brazilian " Barnsley 3 times , the huge off with pompey at HQ

god that was an up and down season

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Easter tear up - History on 11:46 - Oct 26 with 3236 viewsTheChef

Easter tear up - History on 11:31 - Oct 26 by paulparker

awful displays at home to Port vale, and away to Grimsby & Bradford , Wilkins being sacked despite picking up 7 points from 3 games , gallen getting crocked , the double signing of spencer & peacock , the 4-4 game, the Sinclair over head kick and the lob from the halfway line against city , Hateleys ear cupping in the cup , Houston & rioch upsetting the dressing room , a scorching volley from Dichio at Wolves

Heh - when you put it that way we did pretty well to finish ninth! Just needed a bit more stability really.

BUt we're QPR, we don't do stability.

Login to get fewer ads

Easter tear up - History on 13:21 - Oct 26 with 3135 viewsDorse

Gallen getting crocked was the beginning of the end. This has dredged up a huge number of barely repressed memories.

George Kulcsar, RIchard Ord, losing Clarke Carlisle and Richard Langley to ACL injuries, Karl fcuking Ready, losing Sinclair but gaining Ian Dowie and Tim Breacker, Vinnie Jones, the list goes on...

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Easter tear up - History on 13:33 - Oct 26 with 3113 viewsGloucs_R

Sommer, Yates, McDonald, Maddix, Brevett, Impey, Barker (Quashie 77), Peacock, Murray, Spencer, Dichio (Slade 77)

We had some decent players back then....and some proper tosh.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Easter tear up - History on 13:51 - Oct 26 with 3070 viewsTheChef

Easter tear up - History on 13:33 - Oct 26 by Gloucs_R

Sommer, Yates, McDonald, Maddix, Brevett, Impey, Barker (Quashie 77), Peacock, Murray, Spencer, Dichio (Slade 77)

We had some decent players back then....and some proper tosh.

Definite bunch of all sorts that!

I was always a big fan of Paul Murray, I don't think we ever really got the best out of him. His dinked chip goal in that 4-4 v Port Vale is one of my favourite QPR goals.

Easter tear up - History on 13:52 - Oct 26 with 3070 viewsW7Ranger

Didn't Bankole make his one and only appearance for us that season when he came on at HT at home to Tranmere??
Easter tear up - History on 13:54 - Oct 26 with 3066 viewsW7Ranger

Remember that Wolves game well. Really warm day. Went 2-0 up were playing absolutely brilliant. Then all hell let loose and it finished 2-2!!
Easter tear up - History on 13:57 - Oct 26 with 3059 viewsNorthernr

Easter tear up - History on 13:51 - Oct 26 by TheChef

Definite bunch of all sorts that!

I was always a big fan of Paul Murray, I don't think we ever really got the best out of him. His dinked chip goal in that 4-4 v Port Vale is one of my favourite QPR goals.

I liked him as well but he really suffered for that broken leg at Norwich. Never the same player after that. Also Gerry played him wing back, which wasn't ideal.
Easter tear up - History on 14:10 - Oct 26 with 3042 viewsTheChef

Easter tear up - History on 13:57 - Oct 26 by Northernr

I liked him as well but he really suffered for that broken leg at Norwich. Never the same player after that. Also Gerry played him wing back, which wasn't ideal.

Yes I even recall Gerry playing him right full back at home v Huddersfield in the FA Cup - needless to say it didn't work out.

Now working at Fleetwood with Rosler apparently:

https://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/news/2016/november/paul-murray-confirmed-as-new-

Easter tear up - History on 14:11 - Oct 26 with 3040 viewsNorthernr

Easter tear up - History on 14:10 - Oct 26 by TheChef

Yes I even recall Gerry playing him right full back at home v Huddersfield in the FA Cup - needless to say it didn't work out.

Now working at Fleetwood with Rosler apparently:

https://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/news/2016/november/paul-murray-confirmed-as-new-

Was briefly manager of Hartlepool.
Didn't he also later come back and score against us for Oldham? As Quashie and Barker did for Forest and Port Vale, also part of that squad.
Easter tear up - History on 14:17 - Oct 26 with 3028 viewsTheChef

Easter tear up - History on 14:11 - Oct 26 by Northernr

Didn't he also later come back and score against us for Oldham? As Quashie and Barker did for Forest and Port Vale, also part of that squad.

There was a time that wherever Mick Wadsworth went, he followed.

Interestingly he is now Senior Youth Development Coach at Sheffield United, so it looks like he is doing something right!

Easter tear up - History on 14:18 - Oct 26 with 3023 viewspaulparker

Easter tear up - History on 13:52 - Oct 26 by W7Ranger

Didn't Bankole make his one and only appearance for us that season when he came on at HT at home to Tranmere??

no that was 2 years later

the Port vale game was played on a Tuesday night , it was cold and vales away support was so small they were given the x block of the ER rather than open the school end
we had dichio, Sinclair etc yet we lost 2-1 , I think barker scored an injury time consolation , it was a shocking night

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Easter tear up - History on 14:19 - Oct 26 with 3019 viewsCamberleyR

Easter tear up - History on 13:52 - Oct 26 by W7Ranger

I think that was a couple of seasons after.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Easter tear up - History on 14:44 - Oct 26 with 2986 viewskensalriser

Every time Vinnie Jones playing at QPR is mentioned I feel like I just had a sick burp.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Easter tear up - History on 15:05 - Oct 26 with 2962 viewsBoston

Great year '97. Rangers / football got going on the internet. Year or two later along came the live broadcast and we exiles could appreciate the full extent of the misery of the home based supporter.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Easter tear up - History on 15:37 - Oct 26 with 2918 viewsTheChef

Easter tear up - History on 14:44 - Oct 26 by kensalriser

Every time Vinnie Jones playing at QPR is mentioned I feel like I just had a sick burp.

Quite.

Jones v Claridge, I'd really struggle as to who I'd want to win that one...

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/player-vinnie-jones-gets-to-grips

Easter tear up - History on 18:33 - Oct 26 with 2776 viewsterryb

Easter tear up - History on 14:11 - Oct 26 by Northernr

I can't remember if he scored against us, but he definitely scored for Oldham against Bristol City. That was the goal that allowed us to go to Hillsborough knowing a win meant promotion.

I remember being at Oldham for the last game of the season & all of the Rangers support giving Paul Murray applause.
Easter tear up - History on 19:45 - Oct 26 with 2697 viewsdanehoop

Easter tear up - History on 10:37 - Oct 26 by eastside_r

Possibly, but I still think Houston was a crap manager. The power dynamic between him and Rioch was confirmed to me.

I happened to overhear a conversation in a pub in Ilford where it soon became apparent that who I was listening to was one of our players. He spouted forth in some detail that it was Rioch who ran all the training sessions and was considered by all the players to be the main man.

When I checked to see who was speaking, it was none other than (the similarly hapless?) Matthew Brazier who is also an east London boy.

Met Bruce Rioch when he was very successfully managing Odense in Denmark for a few years. An absolute gent, highly regarded by the locals and was doing everything to build the clubs success (including, I kid you not, helping to set up the tables in hospitality ahead of a game against Hibs). Remember this was the manager who signed Denis Bergkamp for Arsenal. Talked about his time at QPR for a bit, but didn’t really dwell on it too much. Must confess I really liked him, talked a lot of sense and was clearly very respected.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2017 21:58]

Never knowingly understood

Easter tear up - History on 21:00 - Oct 26 with 2645 viewsTacticalR

A couple of years ago on the Open All R's podcast Gallen said he didn't like Rioch (and neither did anybody else at the club).

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024