Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ray Wilkins 23:04 - Mar 30 with 23445 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tabloids reporting heart attack and (induced) coma.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ray Wilkins on 10:43 - Mar 31 with 4523 viewspaulparker

Ray Wilkins on 08:36 - Mar 31 by 2Thomas2Bowles

i was at the back of the loft that day , what a goal which summed him up , ie cultured
one of THE very best players to play for us in our history , he also played the most games for QPR in his career did he ever have a bad game ? ,also used to love his commentary on the channel four Italian football , get well soon super Ray and when your better get down to the club that loves you most

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ray Wilkins on 11:03 - Mar 31 with 4476 viewsJuzzie

Ray Wilkins on 10:43 - Mar 31 by paulparker

i was at the back of the loft that day , what a goal which summed him up , ie cultured
one of THE very best players to play for us in our history , he also played the most games for QPR in his career did he ever have a bad game ? ,also used to love his commentary on the channel four Italian football , get well soon super Ray and when your better get down to the club that loves you most

Chelsea 179
QPR 176
Man U 160

Sadly i missed the Palace away game and Chelsea home game where he and Reid ran both games.

Got to see him play many, many times though and was always great to watch.

Hope he recovers and uses it as a springboard to sort out his demons.

[Post edited 31 Mar 2018 11:05]
Ray Wilkins on 11:06 - Mar 31 with 4467 viewsWrightUp5hit___

When we signed Ray Wilkins, I was less than impressed. I suppose with that much less TV coverage and my youthful ignorance, I anticipated the arrival of a player deserving of the "crab" nickname. And of course there was the connection with SW6

Well I couldn't have been so far wrong. As posted elsewhere on this thread, from the very off he was a class above just about everyone he played with at Loftus Road. His control, ability and football brain were just light years ahead of the rest.

Even relatively late in his career one of the very best I have ever seen at Loftus Road and, on the occasions I have had the pleasure of having chat with him, one of the very nicest blokes you could meet.

Fingers crossed crossed for you Ray.
Ray Wilkins on 11:09 - Mar 31 with 4460 viewsBostonR

The master and commander of midfield players and a true professional. I hope he pulls through. My thoughts are with his family.
Ray Wilkins on 11:09 - Mar 31 with 4460 viewshopphoops

Come on Super Ray.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Ray Wilkins on 11:13 - Mar 31 with 4454 viewsFrankRightguard

A terrible shame, really hope he pulls through but sounds like it’s a long shot.

The best player I’ve seen in my time as a Rangers regular. Used to just pick teams to pieces.
Ray Wilkins on 11:24 - Mar 31 with 4427 viewsMrSheen

Ray Wilkins on 11:03 - Mar 31 by Juzzie

Chelsea 179
QPR 176
Man U 160

Sadly i missed the Palace away game and Chelsea home game where he and Reid ran both games.

That Palace game was one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever seen. Reid breaks it up, Wilkins slips it through, Sinton runs riot.

My own Super Ray story. My wedding reception was at Great Fosters in Egham. Late in the evening, my cousin, who I went to games with, told me Ray was at a charity do in another room at the hotel. With enough Dutch courage inside me, I staggered through the French windows up to Ray, shook him by the hand and blurted some nonsense about this definitely being the best day of my life now. Without a flicker of annoyance (well that’s how I remember it) he congratulated me and wished me and my wife a long and happy life together. Ah Ray, I didn’t return it, but the same to you, even now.
Ray Wilkins on 11:26 - Mar 31 with 4419 viewscolinallcars

Best of luck Ray, hope you pull round. I always remember the bird who used to do the announcements at LR. She would preface the the team list with “who has Super Ray picked today?”
Surely one of his best games was beating Spuds 4-1 at home.
Login to get fewer ads

Ray Wilkins on 12:11 - Mar 31 with 4342 viewsCliff_Schitzinabag

I consider myself very fortunate to have a season ticket when Ray was pulling the strings for us. No exaggeration in saying it was a privilege to watch him play.

Hang on in there, Ray.
Ray Wilkins on 12:39 - Mar 31 with 4298 viewsSnipper

I was on my year away in Australia when we signed Ray. I wasn’t overly enamoured that we’d signed him, but, and it’s a bloody big but, what a bloody player he was for us.

He was like a vintage Rolls Royce coming in to a team full of Cortina’s, and dragging them up to his level. He was so good for us in the second half of the 1989/90 season, he was being mentioned for an England recall for the 1990 World Cup.

He came to us to probably see out the last couple of years of his career, but he stayed for a few years longer and was probably playing some of the best football of his career.

The team we had from 1991 through to 1993/4 was a bloody joy to watch. Ray Wilkins was the catalyst for those great team. I don’t think Les Ferdinand would’ve been the player he was for us without Ray.

It’s my birthday today, and I normally double celebrate as it’s also the anniversary of us pummelling Chelsea 6-0. I won’t be celebrating as normal today.

I’ll be praying for you Ray.
Ray Wilkins on 13:42 - Mar 31 with 4220 viewsMytch_QPR

Ray Wilkins on 12:39 - Mar 31 by Snipper

I was on my year away in Australia when we signed Ray. I wasn’t overly enamoured that we’d signed him, but, and it’s a bloody big but, what a bloody player he was for us.

He was like a vintage Rolls Royce coming in to a team full of Cortina’s, and dragging them up to his level. He was so good for us in the second half of the 1989/90 season, he was being mentioned for an England recall for the 1990 World Cup.

He came to us to probably see out the last couple of years of his career, but he stayed for a few years longer and was probably playing some of the best football of his career.

The team we had from 1991 through to 1993/4 was a bloody joy to watch. Ray Wilkins was the catalyst for those great team. I don’t think Les Ferdinand would’ve been the player he was for us without Ray.

It’s my birthday today, and I normally double celebrate as it’s also the anniversary of us pummelling Chelsea 6-0. I won’t be celebrating as normal today.

I’ll be praying for you Ray.

Happy Birthday, mate.

I think there was another thread recently about Ray being the oldest player for us at the age of 38. Sadly, it seems that his problems started after he stopped playing - maybe the need to keep himself fit kept other issues at bay, who knows.

Anyway, hang on in there Ray. Agree with all the others who have said what a pleasure it was to watch him running the midfield.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Ray Wilkins on 13:50 - Mar 31 with 4207 viewsozexile

Ray Wilkins on 12:11 - Mar 31 by Cliff_Schitzinabag

I consider myself very fortunate to have a season ticket when Ray was pulling the strings for us. No exaggeration in saying it was a privilege to watch him play.

Hang on in there, Ray.

Yes it was a privilege. A brilliant player.
Ray Wilkins on 14:49 - Mar 31 with 4099 viewsLazyFan

Ray Wilkins on 11:03 - Mar 31 by Juzzie

Chelsea 179
QPR 176
Man U 160

When they both played although old, they totally dominated the midfield. It was one-way traffic. It was watching men against boys.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Ray Wilkins on 08:52 - Apr 1 with 3767 viewsBeauRanger

Class on & off the pitch, didn’t realise how good he was until saw him play at Loftus Rd.
Ray Wilkins on 09:38 - Apr 1 with 3697 viewsashranger

Get well soon butch, lets hope you pull through.

Ray ray super ray - I remember a holiday in Gran Canaria early 90's and 20 mates sitting on a bus (only 4 were QPR) belting this out, the whole coach looked very bemused but by the end of it were joining in. Became an anthem of the holiday (things you do in your youth!)

He was a legend at QPR and loved watching him stroke the ball around from the centre circle.

I have to admit, I have screamed at the radio a few times as he talks about how much he loves the scum. However, still have very fond memories of him and was saddened to read the news.
Ray Wilkins on 10:23 - Apr 1 with 3631 viewsdavman

Ray Wilkins on 14:49 - Mar 31 by LazyFan

When they both played although old, they totally dominated the midfield. It was one-way traffic. It was watching men against boys.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Great day. As well as the result, I was in the home end with the red and blue poo because my brother was / is a huge fan of them and was a programme seller 8N the 90s. Not just that, but I was there with my then girlfriend, who knew a bit about football but not a lot. When the third goal went in, she said, innocently, " I thought that the home team usually won". Cracking day, even better because my brother didn't talk to me for a couple of days...

As others said, a midfield with a combined age of around 70 absolutely ran that game.

Awesome.

I always thought it such a shame that his transfer dealings seem to have lost the Legandary status he deserves. He couldn't replace Les was his biggest crime, he didn't start bad as a manager with us and, if not for the Gallen injury, I still believe he would have got us back up.

But, in hindsight, maybe selling Les was just one player too far after we were fully reliant on selling one player a season to balance the books.

Ray, Ray, Super Ray - come on, I want to see you back at LR as a Forever R!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Ray Wilkins on 13:10 - Apr 1 with 3532 viewsLazyFan

Ray Wilkins on 10:23 - Apr 1 by davman

Great day. As well as the result, I was in the home end with the red and blue poo because my brother was / is a huge fan of them and was a programme seller 8N the 90s. Not just that, but I was there with my then girlfriend, who knew a bit about football but not a lot. When the third goal went in, she said, innocently, " I thought that the home team usually won". Cracking day, even better because my brother didn't talk to me for a couple of days...

As others said, a midfield with a combined age of around 70 absolutely ran that game.

Awesome.

I always thought it such a shame that his transfer dealings seem to have lost the Legandary status he deserves. He couldn't replace Les was his biggest crime, he didn't start bad as a manager with us and, if not for the Gallen injury, I still believe he would have got us back up.

But, in hindsight, maybe selling Les was just one player too far after we were fully reliant on selling one player a season to balance the books.

Ray, Ray, Super Ray - come on, I want to see you back at LR as a Forever R!

Selling Les was not the problem.
We sold Less when he was 28, but months away from turning 29.
And we got at the time maximum monies for him. And he wanted to go. It was time and the price was right. Players most times have to move on. The fact we did it right is why he is back with us. He still has an affinity for the club.

I also like the fact he is able to tell a story/myth to the youngsters that you may have to earn your place in the team like he had too and you may get treated badly by the club, like he did, but you have to keep going and not through your toys out your pram. And then with hard work and proper attitude, it will come good.

What we did not do is buy a proper replacement. Hatley was finished and cost us more than the money he cost us everything.

zzzzzzzzzz

Ray Wilkins on 14:12 - Apr 1 with 3438 viewsdavman

Ray Wilkins on 13:10 - Apr 1 by LazyFan

Selling Les was not the problem.
We sold Less when he was 28, but months away from turning 29.
And we got at the time maximum monies for him. And he wanted to go. It was time and the price was right. Players most times have to move on. The fact we did it right is why he is back with us. He still has an affinity for the club.

I also like the fact he is able to tell a story/myth to the youngsters that you may have to earn your place in the team like he had too and you may get treated badly by the club, like he did, but you have to keep going and not through your toys out your pram. And then with hard work and proper attitude, it will come good.

What we did not do is buy a proper replacement. Hatley was finished and cost us more than the money he cost us everything.

Lazy, that's what I meant. Each one of the previous big money sales was followed by a decent, and cheaper replacement, but Raymundo failed to keep that trend going...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Ray Wilkins on 14:19 - Apr 1 with 3423 viewsLblock

Ray Wilkins on 14:12 - Apr 1 by davman

Lazy, that's what I meant. Each one of the previous big money sales was followed by a decent, and cheaper replacement, but Raymundo failed to keep that trend going...

Not the time or place to recirculate that whisper about the Hateley transfer…

Wilkins had a wand of a foot, but it was in his head where he killed you, the man saw the game about 4 passes ahead of everyone else.

Get well soon Raymondo

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Ray Wilkins on 17:44 - Apr 1 with 3248 viewsStanisgod

His management time is nothing to do with his playing time. Why do people mix the two, and what does it matter at a time like this?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ray Wilkins on 20:41 - Apr 1 with 3065 viewsToast_R

A very nice man and a true scholar of the game. When you think of some of the over the hill pros that have come and gone at QPR and not put much effort in, then you get an abosolute gem like Wilkins. Not only did he give it everything, but he naturally embraced the club into his very soul. When he left for Palace and Francis lost patience with the QPR board, we the supporters called for Ray and he answered that call. A Rangers Legend who's addition to the team was the catalyst for a memorable period of football at the club.

Lets hope he pulls through this fight.
Ray Wilkins on 21:05 - Apr 1 with 3015 viewsHendonHoop

He's a true Gentleman and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his Family. Come on Butch.
Ray Wilkins (n/t) on 22:13 - Apr 1 with 2923 viewsHayesender

[Post edited 1 Apr 2018 22:17]

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ray Wilkins on 22:23 - Apr 1 with 2904 viewsWilloW4

Ray Wilkins on 21:05 - Apr 1 by HendonHoop

He's a true Gentleman and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his Family. Come on Butch.

Fortunate enough to meet Ray Wilkins a few times, it must be said it was always in a pub in west London... He was a lovely bloke, and really enjoyed talking about the 'hoops'...I think he has a genuine love for QPR.... Wishing super Ray well.
Ray Wilkins on 23:13 - Apr 1 with 2805 viewsHayesender

A lot of rumours circulating saying he has lost his battle. So so sad if true

Poll: Shamima Beghum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024